[英中] 翻譯練習

看板Translation作者 (ㄟ口)時間10年前 (2013/12/14 16:39), 編輯推噓5(506)
留言11則, 2人參與, 最新討論串4/4 (看更多)
原出處: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mark-manson/the-most-important-question_b_4269161 .html ※The Most Important Question You Can Ask Yourself Today: : Everybody wants what feels good. Everyone wants to live a care-free, happy : and easy life, to fall in love and have amazing sex and relationships, to : look perfect and make money and be popular and well-respected and admired and : a total baller to the point that people part like the Red Sea when you walk : into the room. : Everybody wants that -- it's easy to want that. : If I ask you, "What do you want out of life?" and you say something like, "I : want to be happy and have a great family and a job I like," it's so : ubiquitous that it doesn't even mean anything. 今天你能自問最重要的問題 -->你今天最該問自己的問題 每個人都想要快樂。 大家都想要擁有無憂無慮的快樂輕鬆生活、戀愛、美好的性與人際關係,完美與賺大錢, 受到歡迎和尊崇。當你走進房間,就像是摩西走進紅海一般把人們分開,因為你是大咖。 每個人都想要—很容易想要。 如果我問「你的人生想要什麼?」而你回答「我要快樂,有個很棒的家庭和喜歡的工作 。」這種答案實在是太過空泛而沒有意義。 : Everyone wants that. So what's the point? 每個人都想要,所以呢? : What's more interesting to me is what pain do you want? What are you willing : to struggle for? Because that seems to be a greater determinant of how our : lives end up. : Everybody wants to have an amazing job and financial independence -- but not : everyone is willing to suffer through 60-hour work weeks, long commutes, : obnoxious paperwork, to navigate arbitrary corporate hierarchies and the blas : é confines of an infinite cubicle hell. People want to be rich without the : risk, with the delayed gratification necessary to accumulate wealth. 我更有興趣的是,你想要何種痛苦?你願意為何奮鬥? 那似乎更深刻的影響我們如何結束人生。 成就 所有人都想要有個令人驚艷的工作以及財務獨立——但並非所有人都願意承受每周六十 小時的工時、長距離通勤、煩死人的文書處理,帶領專制的公司階級(*1)然後困在 寸步難移的小臥室。 人們想要毫無風險的富有,而非延緩享受以累積財富(*2)。 : Everybody wants to have great sex and an awesome relationship -- but not : everyone is willing to go through the tough communication, the awkward : silences, the hurt feelings and the emotional psychodrama to get there. And : so they settle. They settle and wonder "What if?" for years and years and : until the question morphs from "What if?" into "What for?" And when the : lawyers go home and the alimony check is in the mail they say, "What was it : all for?" If not for their lowered standards and expectations for themselves : 20 years prior, then what for? : Because happiness requires struggle. You can only avoid pain for so long : before it comes roaring back to life. 每個人都想要有超棒的性愛跟美好的人際關係,卻並非都願意走過那段棘手的溝通、 尷尬的沉默、傷感與情緒化的內心戲。 所以他們調適,年復一年自問「如果那樣會怎樣?」直到問題有朝一日變成「這是為了 什麼?」然後當律師離去,信封裡放著贍養費支票時,他們說「這一切到底是為什麼?」 如果不是因為他們前二十年渾渾噩噩過生活,那究竟是為什麼? 幸福需要掙扎與奮鬥,你可以迴避痛苦,直到他們朝你反撲。 : At the core of all human behavior, the good feelings we all want are more or : less the same. Therefore what we get out of life is not determined by the : good feelings we desire but by what bad feelings we're willing to sustain. : "Nothing good in life comes easy," we've been told that a hundred times : before. The good things in life we accomplish are defined by where we enjoy : the suffering, where we enjoy the struggle. 人類行為的核心在於,我們想要的美好感覺其實大同小異。 因此我們從人生中獲得的東西並非取決於多渴望美好,而在於我們願意承受多少苦楚。 我們早就聽過不下數百次的「天底下沒有白吃的午餐。」 人生中獲得的好東西,取決於我們在何處"享受"痛苦與掙扎。 : People want an amazing physique. But you don't end up with one unless you : legitimately love the pain and physical stress that comes with living inside : a gym for hour upon hour, unless you love calculating and calibrating the : food you eat, planning your life out in tiny plate-sized portions. : People want to start their own business or become financially independent. : But you don't end up a successful entrepreneur unless you find a way to love : the risk, the uncertainty, the repeated failures, and working insane hours on : something you have no idea whether will be successful or not. Some people are : wired for that sort of pain, and those are the ones who succeed. 人們都想要健美體格,但是你並不會光靠想想就得到它。 除非你真正愛上經年累月待在健身房裡承受的疼痛與實際壓力,愛上計算、調整和規劃 你的生活飲食。 人們想要創業或經濟獨立。 但是要當上成功的企業家,你必須找到方法愛上風險、愛上不確定性、愛上再三重複的 失敗,還有瘋狂的投注時間工作在根本不知道會不會成功的想法裡。 有些人就這麼縱身火窟,而成為成功的一份子。 : People want a boyfriend or girlfriend. But you don't end up attracting : amazing people without loving the emotional turbulence that comes with : weathering rejections, building the sexual tension that never gets released, : and staring blankly at a phone that never rings. It's part of the game of : love. You can't win if you don't play. : What determines your success is "What pain do you want to sustain?" 人們想要伴侶。 但要吸引美好的對象,就得先愛上伴隨嘗試軟化對方拒絕(*3)的鼓噪情緒, --->攻陷對方 建立從未散發的性吸引力,還有盯著從未響起的電話。 這是愛情遊戲的一部分,你得玩才有機會贏。 你的成功定義於「你想承受何種痛苦?」 : I wrote in an article last week that I've always loved the idea of being a : surfer, yet I've never made consistent effort to surf regularly. Truth is: I : don't enjoy the pain that comes with paddling until my arms go numb and : having water shot up my nose repeatedly. It's not for me. The cost outweighs : the benefit. And that's fine. 上星期寫了篇關於總是想當衝浪手的文章,但我至今仍未規律的衝浪。 事實上,我並不享受划水划到雙臂麻木的疼痛和一直噴進鼻子裡的水,這不適合我。 成本高過利益,但那也很好。 : On the other hand, I am willing to live out of a suitcase for months on end, : to stammer around in a foreign language for hours with people who speak no : English to try and buy a cell phone, to get lost in new cities over and over : and over again. Because that's the sort of pain and stress I enjoy : sustaining. That's where my passion lies, not just in the pleasures, but in : the stress and pain. 另一方面,我很願意只靠一口箱子活上好幾個月,花上數個小時支支吾吾跟不說英文的 人溝通試著買手機,在新城市裡迷路迷到昏頭轉向。 因為那是種樂於承受的辛苦與壓力。 我的熱情所在,不僅限於體會喜悅,更有壓力與辛勞。 : There's a lot of self development advice out there that says, "You've just : got to want it enough!" : That's only partly true. Everybody wants something. And everybody wants : something badly enough. They just aren't being honest with themselves about : what they actually want that bad. : If you want the benefits of something in life, you have to also want the : costs. If you want the six pack, you have to want the sweat, the soreness, : the early mornings, and the hunger pangs. If you want the yacht, you have to : also want the late nights, the risky business moves, and the possibility of : pissing off a person or ten. 很多自我啟發的建議會告訴你「只要你夠想要就做得到!」(*4) 部分正確,大家都想要某些東西,而且有時極度想要某些東西,他們只是不夠坦誠自己 多麼想要。 如果你想要某些好處,那就得付出相應的心力。 如果你想要六塊肌,你也得想要流汗、痠痛、早起、空腹煎熬。 如果你想要遊艇,那你也必須同時接受夜深未眠,充滿風險的業務行為,也可能惹火很 多人。 : If you find yourself wanting something month after month, year after year, : yet nothing happens and you never come any closer to it, then maybe what you : actually want is a fantasy, an idealization, an image and a false promise. : Maybe you don't actually want it at all. : So I ask you, "How are you willing to suffer?" : Because you have to choose something. You can't have a pain-free life. It : can't all be roses and unicorns. 如果你發現自己年復一年的想要什麼,但卻一直沒事發生,你也從未靠近目標。 那麼,也許那只是種幻想、理想、一種投影與虛偽的承諾。 也許你根本不想要。 所以我問「你願意如何承受?」 你必須做出選擇,人不能毫不受傷的過活,活在開滿小花的幻想世界。 : Choose how you are willing to suffer. : Because that's the hard question that matters. Pleasure is an easy question. : And pretty much all of us have the same answer. : The more interesting question is the pain. What is the pain that you want to : sustain? : Because that answer will actually get you somewhere. It's the question that : can change your life. It's what makes me me and you you. It's what defines us : and separates us and ultimately brings us together. : So what's it going to be? 選擇你願意如何承受痛苦。 那是個困難的問題,選擇喜悅簡單多了,而且大多數人的答案如出一轍。 更有趣的問題是痛苦,你想要承受什麼痛苦? 實際上,那是個能改變人生的問題,你的答案將會帶領你到某處。 那是造就你我、定義我們、區別我們,而最終團結我們的問題。 所以,接下來呢? --- 很久沒翻文章,發現英文有很多細節不太會處理, 煩請諸位先進指點QQ *1 單看字面上意義不確定要翻成什麼,arbitrary也有任意的意思, 但翻成任意公司的階級又好像怪怪的(整句都怪怪的阿阿阿)。 *2 前面without,後面with感覺應該是延遲~ 但是這樣語意似乎有點矛盾, 所以思考了一下修成那個樣子,這句也不太懂。 還有可以告訴我後面what if 跟 what for那段怎麼翻比較好嗎? 也不太確定。 *3 其實本來是翻成抗風化(!)後來發現好像有更適合的說法,嘗試軟化對方拒絕 似乎又太拗口,我覺得有更簡單的說法,但是想不到(爆) *4 是這個意思嗎?還是「你已經夠想要」? -- ※ 發信站: 批踢踢實業坊(ptt.cc) ◆ From: 111.255.74.77 ※ 編輯: lastballad 來自: 111.255.74.77 (12/14 16:52)

12/14 16:58, , 1F
3.攻陷 XD
12/14 16:58, 1F

12/14 16:59, , 2F
卸下對方心防過程中的心情起伏 or 心情躁動 or 患得患失
12/14 16:59, 2F

12/14 17:02, , 3F
it's easy to want that → 用想的都很簡單?
12/14 17:02, 3F

12/14 17:04, , 4F
how our lives end up → 我們如何成就人生(說結束好恐怖
12/14 17:04, 4F

12/14 17:08, , 5F
今天你能自問最重要的問題→"你今天最該問自己的問題"較順
12/14 17:08, 5F
結束人生真的很恐怖XDDDD 我在想easy to want是用想的很簡單還是容易產生想要的念頭? 不過用想的都很簡單感覺比較順 感謝指點 :D ※ 編輯: lastballad 來自: 111.255.107.14 (12/14 18:36)

12/15 09:26, , 6F
It's easy to want that = {To want that, Wanting that}
12/15 09:26, 6F

12/15 09:27, , 7F
is easy. 想要,很容易。(重點在 easy,所以放句尾的好,
12/15 09:27, 7F

12/15 09:27, , 8F
注意原文排版easy還加斜體強調。) weathering rejections
12/15 09:27, 8F

12/15 09:28, , 9F
是被動的,對方不要你,你只好認命,只有承受、挨打的份,
12/15 09:28, 9F