Re: [考題] What would you do _____?

看板Eng-Class作者 (英語客)時間11年前 (2013/04/13 13:57), 編輯推噓1(100)
留言1則, 1人參與, 最新討論串8/14 (看更多)
※ 引述《Darren37 (小巴)》之銘言: : 版上的學長/姐好 : 小弟有個問題想請教一下 : 題目: : What would you do ________? : (A) when you were bitten by a snake : (B) if he lied to you : (C) were you in my position : (D) if you are in the elevator and it stops between floors : (E) if you had lost your power of sight for just one day : 依據題目是與 現在事實相反之假設 : 所以B對 而C是B的倒裝句 這兩個選項沒有問題 : D、E時態上很明顯就錯了 : 我想請問的是A選項 : 以中文翻譯是: 當你被蛇咬時,你會做什麼? : 請問文法上是錯在哪裡呢? “What would you do when S Ved”所產生的情境可以將討論放在 "would”和“when” 搭配使用的情形。雖然在有 “when” 的句中,“would” 有些情形確實可解讀為 「過去的習慣」 [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6],不過我所參考的這些字典、文法或用法 書似乎都沒使用在疑問句情境下的搭配。(當然這點有必要再多做語料的比對會更客觀)。 原題目選項所組成的 “What would you do when you were bitten by a snake?” 明 顯屬於疑問情境,如果要表達 「過去的習慣」,有商榷的餘地;而如果要表達發生一次 的意思,“would”在此句該如何解讀會自然些? (所謂自然,粗略指的是多數母語人士會 認同且會自然使用),也是需要思考。如果把 “would” 拿掉,將 “What would you do when S Ved” 這種形式改為 “what did you do when S Ved” ,從搭配的角度看來 就相對自然許多,既可表達當下反應 [7] [8] [9],也可表達之前的慣性或狀態 [10] [11] [12][1] When we worked in the same office, we would often have coffee together. (Longman's Dictionary of Contemporary English) [2] When my parents were away, my grandmother would take care of me. (Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary) [3] When my friend still lived here, we would eat lunch together every day. (Merriam-Webster Advanced Learner's Dictionary) [4] (1) When she was old, she would sit in the corner talking to herself for hours. (2) On Sundays when I was a child we would all get up early and go fishing. (Practical English Usage, 3rd ed., p.622) [5] (1) When I was a child, I would play in the street with the other children. (2) When I was a child, my father would read me a story at night before bedtime. (Understanding and Using English Grammar, 4th ed., p. 200) [6] He would cycle to school on fine days and would take the bus only when the weather was bad. (Guide to Patterns and Usage in English, 2nd ed., p.102) [7] Q. What did you do when you were told that you had a fatal illness? A. It's hard to find the words to describe how I felt when I first learned I had A.L.S. and what it meant. It was like a big explosion in my head, a feeling that there must be a way out. (NY Times, August 21, 1994) [8] "What did you do when the baby's father slit his throat?" I ask. "I was happy," Henry says. "I laughed when he did it. I even testified against the boyfriend in court. My mother was mad. She's always mad at me. (NY Times, October 08, 1995 ) [9] What did you do when you heard the decision? Go out and get intoxicated? I already was. It was about 4:30, so by then I usually am. (Time, Aug. 24, 2003) [10] What did you do when you weren't working? We hobbits (Wood, Sean Astin, Dominic Monaghan and Billy Boyd) spent our free time together. Sometimes we took trips. The hobbits had a weekend in Auckland. And the hobbits learned how to surf. The hobbits and an elf went to Australia and we had about a week there and visited the Star Wars set. (Guardian, 21 December 2001) [11] "I hope he can sleep for a little while," Lottie says as she returns. "He's been waking up at night, and he's just over-tired." She asks Harry if he has children. Two, he says, twins, age six. "That must have been hard when they were little. What did you do when they both cried at the same time?" He has not thought of this before. "It was difficult," he says. (NY Times http://www.nytimes.com/books/first/d/dillon-gold.html) [12] There are people I assume watching this interview right now, and people in this town who would say, why should we listen to you? And they would say that because of the context of the Bush administration numbers. They would say, you know, what did you do when you were in charge? And they have some numbers to back up their case. And I want to show some to our viewers When you came to office, the unemployment rate in the country was 4.2 percent, when you left it was 7.6 percent. The number of Americans in poverty when you arrived, just under 33 million, over 37 million when you left. The number without health insurance, a little over 41 million when you came, over 45 million approaching 46 million when you left. (LA Times, March 16, 2009) 以上簡略的整理和分析,希望對相關討論有所幫助 -- The bend in the road is not the end of the road unless you refuse to take the turn. http://www.wretch.cc/blog/EnglishFocus -- ※ 發信站: 批踢踢實業坊(ptt.cc) ◆ From: 111.253.98.37

04/13 14:43, , 1F
04/13 14:43, 1F
文章代碼(AID): #1HQFFI0y (Eng-Class)
討論串 (同標題文章)
文章代碼(AID): #1HQFFI0y (Eng-Class)