Re: [Mind] Random thoughts 3

看板EngTalk作者 (加油!)時間19年前 (2005/05/28 19:05), 編輯推噓0(000)
留言0則, 0人參與, 最新討論串4/5 (看更多)
I guess I am having the same situation as yours. I have working experience, and now I am studying and working at the same time. I get a chance to study PhD in USA, but I am not financial supported. The tuition is too expensive for me to afford. Morever, my current job is not bad - good salary and nice boss. I have been thinking over and over for three months. But up till now, I still can't make my mind. Studying PhD is my dream, but the lack of financial support prevents me from make it come true. I am still hesitating. I really don't know what to do. I can see your delimma here. I don't kow what your situation is, so I can't really make any recommendations for you. But I thought I would share some thoughts with you that might be of use to you. :) Just based on what you have told us, I would probably have chosen to remain in the job for now, especially since you are earning a good salary and enjoy the job. I have known people who went off to study post graduate degrees in the US, and I know how expensive it is, it's quite carzy really! But the people that I know all received very generous scholarships which paid for their tuition fees and sometimes their accommodation as well! I mean, with an opportunity like that, the choice is easy of course. But for most of us, it would not be so easy. For example, if I wanted to do post graduate study in USA, I know I would have to pay for everything myself as well, and I certainly won't be able to afford it! My question for you though, is whether you feel that you need to pursue your study now, as opposed to later, when you would have had opportunities to save more money, and perhaps try other possible sources of funding? Because if it is only a matter of time, then I would suggest going later rather than now. But of course, you might have other reasons to think that if you don't go now, you might not get a chance to later. In that case, I really can't say much. You will have to decide what is more important to you: to fulfill your dream? Or to stay where you are, with the security of a good job. Whatever you decide at the end, I wish you all the best! :) -- ※ 發信站: 批踢踢實業坊(ptt.cc) ◆ From: 210.246.6.244
文章代碼(AID): #12c51lhY (EngTalk)
文章代碼(AID): #12c51lhY (EngTalk)