Re: [文法] whose的用法

看板Eng-Class作者 (my two cents)時間11年前 (2012/10/22 09:58), 編輯推噓0(000)
留言0則, 0人參與, 最新討論串7/8 (看更多)
※ 引述《l10nel (小失)》之銘言: : 本文旨在總結以下這考題所引起的多種看法。雖非最近的話題,但覺得當時的討論沒結果 : ,懸在那裡,故在此整理,以資參考。 : 問題句:They were the Boy Scouts whose job it is to help elderly people cross : the street. : 1. it 什麼作用?可不可省? : :作者: tijj (my two cents) 看板: Eng-Class 標題: Re: [文法] whose的用法 : :時間: Fri Jan 20 10:42:10 2012 : :這裡的it可以省略, 是否為非限定或限定,並不是差在有無it (或有無comma). ※ 引述《l10nel (小失)》之銘言: : 這裡的 it 不可省略,雖然 it 有無和關係子句限定/非限定無關。後有詳述。 : (1) The Boy Scouts' job is to help elderly people cross the street. : 意義:童子軍的工作即是/主要是扶老人過馬路。 : (隱含:A's job is B 這句型,通常意味著是 B 是唯一工作,若非唯一,至少也是主要 : 工作。) : => 因此,這句的表達方式不通,因為我們知道,童子軍的工作顯然不只是扶人過馬路, : 其主要工作也不是這個。 : 結論:(1)因帶有「唯一工作」暗示,不通。其他的(2)和(3)皆可。 : : 結論: : They were the Boy Scouts whose job it is to help elderly people cross the : street. : (1)此句 it 不可省。it 的有無決定有沒有「唯一工作」隱義。 嗯. 聽聽教授怎麼說. 主旨: "it" canNOT be omitted ? 去信: Professor Mao, I have some questions about linguistics. (1) They were the Boy Scouts, whose job it is to help elderly people cross the street. (2) I want a President, whose job is to keep the machine of State in fine whack. "it" cannot be omitted; otherwise, native speakers would think that Boy Scouts' ONLY or MAIN job is to help elderly people cross the street. 回信: I don't think that in any of these cases a native speaker would think that the point is that the subject's main or only job is the task indicated. I suppose the "it" could clarify a bit in some cases. But it's not necessary. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Douglas Department of English Johns Hopkins University -- ※ 發信站: 批踢踢實業坊(ptt.cc) ◆ From: 210.69.13.1
文章代碼(AID): #1GXAXGPM (Eng-Class)
討論串 (同標題文章)
文章代碼(AID): #1GXAXGPM (Eng-Class)