Motivation

看板EngTalk作者 (加油!)時間19年前 (2005/07/23 16:43), 編輯推噓0(000)
留言0則, 0人參與, 最新討論串1/7 (看更多)
Motivation is something that people don't really think about consciously, yet something qutie important. Surely everything we do is driven by some form of motivation. Because we want to achieve something, so at least have a good reason for acting the way we do. Pleasures aside, there are a lot of things that we do from day to day, which we might not enjoy, maybe even dislike, but we do them nonetheless, perhaps even work hard at them, for one reason or another. But maybe people don't often pause to think about what it is that keeps us going, to work hard, study hard, and do the things that we might not enjoy so much, in order to achieve something? More often than not, that something is money. But I remember quite early on in an Economics class, our teacher gave us a task: list the things that you really want in life. You can list anything that you want, however, you must not list money as one of your items. Many of us were puzzled. Because we were all tempted to put down money as our very first item on the list. Not just money, but LOTS of money. Who wouldn't want to be rich? But come to think of it, while money can buy many things, what can it do by itself? Nothing really. What is money anyway? Pieces of paper? Numbers in your bank account? So some said, well, with lots of money, you can afford luxuries, you feel secured, and you will be able to own many things that you may only have dreamt of in the past. So list down those things! Our Economics teacher said. List that you want a nice house, you want to feel secured, anything, anything but money... These days, it seems that most of us are still motivated by money, almost blindly, without thinking about why we want so much money for. If I ask you, what will you do with $1 million, you can probably give me a long list of things that you will buy. But if I ask you, what will you do with $10 billion dollars, you might be at a loss, knowing that you cannot possibly spend so much money. Perhaps you can keep it for your future generations, but that's really beside the point. The thing is, even though few can think of what to do with $10 billion, I'm sure no one in their right mind will refuse to earn that much money anyway. In fact, the way most people work, it seems that they are aiming to earn as much as they possibly could. I'm not saying that that's wrong. I just wonder what the true motivation is behind earning lots of money, that's all. -- ※ 發信站: 批踢踢實業坊(ptt.cc) ◆ From: 222.153.98.52
文章代碼(AID): #12uWCL9O (EngTalk)
文章代碼(AID): #12uWCL9O (EngTalk)