Re: [請益] Emily Dickinson的1273首

看板poetry作者 (冰城城主)時間18年前 (2006/02/20 14:42), 編輯推噓3(303)
留言6則, 2人參與, 最新討論串3/4 (看更多)
※ 引述《julians (要勇敢面對)》之銘言: : ※ 引述《Qkatherine (喵)》之銘言: : : Selected a reverential Broom– ~~~~~~~~ It should be "Select" here; big difference. But I am actually replying to support julians' observation on the elements of doubt and suspense. Dickinson readers should note that her original manuscripts are often more expressive (and flexible) than the published. For reasons such as typographical limitations, and attempts of "tidying up" the manuscripts, the poems that we read today had already suffered a traumatic amount of changes; editions often, at the cost of accuracy. The publishers can hardly be blamed. Dickinson had chose to employ for her poems the flexibility overwhelming even to the publishers today. But this particular poem is one of the best examples out there, of what is lost in typographical translation. The "original" manuscript, as I remembered, included a more "fragmental" structure. It was not concerted as three quartets. It included an indented "Select" (which was why I remembered that it was not "Selected"), and some more indentation after "August"; in other words, it possessed a less rigid (ergo freer) form, and provided the sense of diffidence -- faltering fingers reaching and retracting at the same time, both erring towards and shying away from the "Memory" kept. The word "supersede" was literally severed, with Dickinson's trademark dash, whilst the "sede" hung orthogonal to the rest of the verses at the right side of the manuscript, left-side-up -- as if the tail of memory could break off any minute, even in the middle of a word, and to trail off ... upwards, where the reader would then discover "itself" lingering above ... to where, "But it can/silence you --" written up-side-down, positioned above the first line of the poem. This was not Dickinson running out of writing space. This was the uncertainty composed and intended by the poet. The storm of her mind, so powerful, that we were supposed to stir the paper around (or ourselves) just to comprehend it. The same storm lost, perhaps, in the printed edition; remnants of it only visible to the more observant. ^_< -- ╭──────────────────╮╭────────────╮╭─╮ │ 世界正崩毀離析,時間正傾倒頹壞。 ├┴╮http://distract.org/╭┴┤ │ ╰─┬────────────────╯ ├──────────┤ ╰┬╯ ╰──────────────────╯ ╰──╯ -- ※ 發信站: 批踢踢實業坊(ptt.cc) ◆ From: 218.166.86.63 ※ 編輯: dale 來自: 218.166.86.63 (02/20 15:48)

02/20 18:02, , 1F
no. only to those who can see the manu-
02/20 18:02, 1F

02/20 18:02, , 2F
scripts. XD
02/20 18:02, 2F

02/20 18:04, , 3F
Perhaps there is link or access to the
02/20 18:04, 3F

02/20 18:04, , 4F
facsimile of Dickisons's poems?
02/20 18:04, 4F