[英中] 小說翻譯練習-Alan Wake~第一章

看板Translation作者 (s&m)時間12年前 (2012/06/09 10:56), 編輯推噓6(6013)
留言19則, 9人參與, 最新討論串1/1
自我挑戰翻譯, 歡迎批評、討論、轉載 (請註明譯者、出處),絕對嚴禁任何形式的商業 使用謝謝。 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ALAN?” Wake heard Alice calling to him through his nightmare. He slowly floated up toward the sound of her voice, still drowsy. “Alan, wake up. Come see where we are. It’s so beautiful.” Wake opened his eyes, squinting in the sunlight. Through the car’s open window, he saw Alice beckoning from the nearby railing of the ferry. She wore tight jeans and black boots, her light-brown hair billowing over the upturned collar of her black leather jacket. Whatever she was looking at, it wasn’t nearly as beautiful as what he was seeing. She waved again and he got out of the car and walked across the deck toward her, feeling the low engine vibration through the soles of his feet. “I didn’t want you to miss this,” said Alice, pointing. It took an effort to tear his eyes from her, but he followed her direction, saw an immense forest stretching out on each side of the water, the biggest trees that he had ever seen, so tall and thick he couldn’t see the forest floor. 「艾倫?」 在噩夢中,偉克聽到艾莉絲的聲音在呼喊他。他感覺到自己的身體開始緩緩地漂浮起來, 往聲音的方向移動,但他的腦袋還昏昏沉沉地無法思考。 「艾倫,醒醒。快看我們到哪裡了,多麼美麗的地方阿!」 偉克緩緩睜開眼,但被陽光刺的只能瞇起眼睛,偉克透過車窗看到艾莉絲正從渡輪的護欄 旁向他招手。她的淺棕色頭髮捲伏在她黑皮革夾克上翻的領子上,下半身穿了件緊身牛仔 褲加上黑長筒皮靴。偉克心想,不管艾莉絲看到了是什麼樣的景色,都不會比他現在看到 的還要美麗。艾莉絲又揮了揮手,偉克起身下車,越過了甲板向艾莉絲走去,他在移動時 透過鞋底,能感覺到渡輪引擎低速運作發出的振動。 「我可不希望你錯過這個。」艾莉絲說,伸手指了個方向。 艾倫有些不捨地將視線從艾莉絲身上移開,往她指的方向看。那裏有一片森林從湖邊無邊 無際地延伸進內陸;在其中,有一棵他生平所見最高大的樹,它是如此的高壯,偉克根本 無法看到樹下的林底層。 “Old-growth timber,” said Alice. “Hundreds of years old, never been cut. Not much of that left anymore.” “Forest primeval, I get it,” said Wake. “Welcome to Sasquatch country.” He looked down at the dark-green water churning around the ferry. He buttoned up his gray tweed coat. Even with the hoodie underneath, he was shivering. The sun seemed to seek Alice out, but he was always cold. Wake’s face was long and angular, with a cleft in his chin and a three-day stubble like a rock star on a bender. His eyes were blue, very alert, volatile even. He told Alice once that if he had a tattoo it would read: Born Pissed Off. She told him he needn’t bother. One look at him and people figured that out fast enough. A fallen tree drifted up ahead, a gnarly elm bobbing gently along on the currents. Its thick trunk and broad leaves made it seem out of place among all the tall timber, and Wake, ever curious, wondered how it ended up here, what had torn it out by the roots. A huge raven perched atop one limb, fluttering its glossy black wings as it pecked at something, peck, peck, peck. Wake leaned forward, straining to see what the raven was so interested in. The raven cocked its head, as though aware of Wake’s gaze, then bent down, pulling up something white and stringy in its beak. 「遠古神木」艾莉絲說。「有上百年的歷史了,從未被傷害過;現在像這種樹木已經不多 見了。」 「原始森林嘛,我瞭的。」偉克說。「歡迎來到大腳的家鄉~」 偉克將上半身越過護欄,看著下方被渡輪攪動的深綠色湖水,看了片刻後他起身將身上的 灰花呢外套的扣子扣上,即使在外套下已經穿了件帽T,他還是冷到發抖;雖然陽光似乎 時常跟著艾莉絲出現,但他總是莫名地會覺得寒冷。 偉克的臉型既長又消瘦,而微帶顎裂的下巴加上留著三天份的鬍渣讓他乍看之下就像個玩 世不恭的搖滾明星;他有一雙漂亮的藍眼睛,眼神相當靈活或者說是輕浮。他以前有一次 跟艾莉絲說如果他要刺青的話會刺:「天生惹人厭」,艾莉絲則回說「沒有需要,大家看 你一眼就會知道這件事了。」 在渡輪前方有一截斷落在湖面,隨著水流漂浮擺動的粗糙榆木,它粗壯的樹幹和茂盛的枝 葉讓人覺得它應該繼續跟其他樹木待在一起而不是出現在這裡;這讓偉克相當好奇到底是 什麼原因將這棵樹木給弄倒的。有一隻巨大的烏鴉停留在漂木上,振翅不停地在啄某樣東 西。偉克傾身向前看到底是什麼讓烏鴉這麼感興趣,但烏鴉就像是感覺到偉克的視線停止 了動作豎起了頭,在頓了片刻後它突然彎身用它的喙刁出某個白色繩狀的東西。 “We should be arriving in Bright Falls in about twenty minutes,” said Alice, basking in the light. The raven’s greedy cawing echoed across the water as the elm drifted closer, and Wake finally saw what the raven was working at, a child’s tennis shoe caught in the branches, the bird tugging at the laces. Alice turned as the raven flapped off. “Wow, that’s one gigantic crow.” “Yeah,” Wake said softly. “Honey, are you okay? You look so…pale.” “Just my imagination messing with me. As usual.” Wake ran a hand through his dark hair. She worried about him, worried about his moods, and especially about his temper. He gave her reason to. In the distance he could make out the outlines of a small town nestled in the bay. Had to be Bright Falls. Alice took her camera from her purse. “Why don’t you stand next to that old guy beside the pickup? I’ll take a picture of you with the woods in the background.” “You know I hate having my picture taken,” said Wake. “Suffering is good for the soul,” Alice said playfully. “Don’t you want to get to heaven?” “Not unless you’re there with me,” teased Wake. “Well, I’m staying here,” said Alice. “You’re the one who’s going over there so I can snap a picture.” Wake walked over to the older man. The bed of the blue pickup had a fresh deer carcass in it. Cute. He looked at the older man. “Hi.” “You picked a good time to come to Bright Falls,” confided the older man, a short, balding fellow, his watery blue eyes crinkling behind round glasses. “Really?” said Wake. Alice waved at him to move closer to the man. “Yup, a very good time.” “Uh-huh,” said Wake. 「我們應該再20幾分鐘左右就會到亮瀑鎮了。」艾莉絲沉醉在溫暖的陽光下說。 當那棵榆木離的渡輪更近的時候,那隻烏鴉發出了貪婪的叫聲,聲音傳遍了湖面。偉克現 在可以看到那隻烏鴉剛剛在忙什麼了,有一隻兒童網球鞋卡在樹枝上,那隻鳥剛扯掉了上 面的鞋帶。艾莉絲在烏鴉拍翅飛走後轉身跟偉克說:「哇喔,那隻鳥真是大呢。」 「……是阿。」偉克緩緩的說。 「寶貝,你還好嗎? 你臉色看起來很……蒼白。」 「沒事,只是跟往常一樣我的胡思亂想又再煩心罷了。」 偉克用手順了順頭髮說。 艾莉絲很擔心偉克,擔心他的心情,尤其是擔心他的壞脾氣;她實際上也是有理由要這麼 擔心的。假如有一個地方可以給偉克靈感描寫出關於一座被湖灣圍繞的偏遠小鎮的作品, 那地方就非亮瀑鎮莫屬。 「那不如你去站在那輛小貨卡旁邊的老頭的身邊,我幫你們用森林作背景拍一張照。」艾 莉絲從手提包取出一台相機後說。 「你知道我厭惡拍照的。」偉克說。 「磨難有益於靈魂。」艾莉絲開玩笑地說。「你不想上天堂嗎?」 「除非妳會和我一起去那裏。」偉克戲弄地說。 「嗯,不過現在我會待在這裡,」艾莉絲說。「而你要走過去那裡好讓我拍照。」 偉克乖乖地往老人的方向走去,經過小貨卡的時候,偉克看到後車廂放了一具新鮮的鹿屍 ,心想:「哼,還真是可愛。」他到了老人身邊後跟他打了聲招呼。 「你真是挑對了時間來亮瀑鎮。」老人用一種像是吐露某種祕密的語氣說。 偉克打量下眼前的老人,身材矮小,頭也禿了,在圓框眼鏡後面有一雙皺巴巴又水汪汪的 眼睛。 「是嗎?」偉克回答說。艾莉絲在後面揮手示意偉克站靠近老人點。 「沒錯,一個非常好的時間。」 「是~喔。」偉克有些敷衍地回答。 The man pushed back his glasses with a forefinger. “I mean, lucky you.” Wake took a deep breath. The persistence of geezers was a universal constant as certain as gravity or the speed of light. “Okay, why am I lucky?” The older man showed his dentures in triumph. “Deerfest is just two weeks away.” “Deerfest, huh,” said Wake, having no idea what the man was talking about. “Did you hear that, honey? Deerfest!” “Forgive my bad manners, I’m Pat Maine.” The man stuck out his hand. “I’m Alan—” “Oh, I know who you are, Mr. Wake,” said Maine, pumping away with his damp, pillowy hand. “We read books around here, too.” He smiled at his little joke. “When’s that next novel of yours coming out? Seems like we’ve been waiting—” “Working on it,” snapped Wake. “Of course, can’t rush the creative process, can you?” said Maine. “I hope this isn’t too presumptuous of me, but I’m the night host at the local radio station. Any chance I could get an interview? A best-selling author doesn’t come through these parts very often, and—” “I’m on vacation with my wife,” said Wake. “Trying to keep a low profile. ” “I understand completely,” said Maine, winking. “Still, you change your mind, I’m an easy man to find.” Wake walked back to Alice. “I got some good shots,” said Alice, pushing her hair back. “Nice to see you making friends.” “Yeah, we swapped bundt-cake recipes,” said Wake. Alice lightly punched him in the arm. “Wouldn’t be the worst thing that could happen. You might actually enjoy yourself.” Wake didn’t respond. He stood shoulder to shoulder beside her at the railing, eyes half closed, enjoying the sensation of her wind-blown hair tickling his face. He had lied to Pat Maine about his next book. He hadn’t written a word in two years, and had no idea if he would ever write again, but standing beside Alice, Wake put aside all thoughts of the books he had written, and the books he might never write, put aside the frustration that tore at him night and day. There was just him and Alice. That was enough. For this one perfect moment, that was all he needed. “Oh yuck,” Alice said softly. “What?” said Wake, not wanting to look, wanting to stay where he was, smelling her perfume and forgetting everything else. “There’s the creepiest guy watching us,” said Alice. Wake opened his eyes, the perfect moment gone now, popped like a soap bubble on a summer afternoon. He saw a grubby man in his forties staring at them from the far end of the ferry, an insolent grin on his face. The man wore camouflage pants and a hunting vest, a stained ball cap and scuffed work boots. A cigarette dangled from his lower lip. He started walking slowly toward the man. “Do you have a problem?” Wake challenged, raising his voice to be heard over the rumbling engines. The man didn’t react, just took a long, slow drag on his cigarette, and kept staring. “Alan, don’t,” said Alice. “Stay here. This is no way to start a vacation. ” Wake allowed Alice to steer him back to their car, neither of them saying a word until they were both inside. “You…you scare me sometimes,” said Alice. Wake watched the vein at the base of her throat pulse, angry at himself for upsetting her. “I’m sorry.” “Men like that…they’re not worth worrying about,” said Alice. She squeezed his hand. “You just have to learn to back away.” “I can’t do that,” said Wake. “The world will eat you alive if you let it. ” “That’s not true,” said Alice. “Most people are good.” Wake snorted. 「我是說真的,你很走運。」老人用食指推推眼鏡說。偉克無奈地做了個深呼吸,心想「 頑固的老人可以跟重力、光速這些物理單位算一樣東西了-都是些必然的存在。」 「好吧,那怎麼說我走運呢?」偉克問。 老人露出一排假牙笑說:「因為再兩個禮拜就是獵鹿節了喔」" 「喔~是獵鹿節阿」偉克回答,心裡卻完全不知道老人說的節慶是什麼。「嘿!甜心,妳 聽到了嗎?有獵鹿節耶!」 「恕我冒昧,我是派特.緬因。」老人向偉克伸出了手。 「我是艾倫.ㄨ……」偉克邊回握邊說。 「喔,我知道您是誰,偉克先生,」緬因打斷偉克說,收回他又濕又軟的手。「我們這些 鄉下人也是會讀點書的。」說完對自己說的小笑話笑了笑;接著又問「您的下部作品何時 會推出呢? 我們感覺等了……」 「在進行中了。」偉克有些不高興地打斷老人的話。 「當然當然,創作的過程是不能急的,是吧?」緬因說。「阿!對了,希望突然提這個不 會太唐突,不過我是這個地方的廣播電台的夜間時段主持人,不知道能不能邀請您做個訪 談?一個最暢銷的作家在這裡可是不常見的,而且……」 「我和我妻子只是來這裡度假的,」偉克打斷老人說。「我們希望能低調點。」 「當然,我完全理解。」緬因說,還對偉克眨了下眼。「不過假如您改變心意的話,我這 個人很好找的,隨時歡迎。」 偉克走回到艾莉絲的身邊。 「我拍到了幾個很不錯的鏡頭,」艾莉絲說,邊將頭髮往後梳整理。「而且看來你也認識 了新朋友。」 「是阿,我們剛才還互相交換了蛋糕食譜呢」偉克說。 艾莉絲笑鬧著在偉克的手臂上輕打了一下。「事情沒那麼糟啦,接下來的假期還是有機會 不被別人認出來安穩的度過啦。」 偉克沒回答。他靜靜地與艾莉絲肩並肩地站在護欄邊,眼睛半閉,享受艾莉絲的髮絲被微 風吹拂到臉頰的觸感。 關於下部作品的事,偉克對派特-緬因撒了謊。他在這兩年間連一個字都寫不出來,而且 也完全不知道以後有沒有辦法寫出來。不過現在站在艾莉絲身旁能讓偉克暫時忘了所有有 關小說的事,不管是他曾寫過的,或是他可能再也寫不出來的;也能讓他暫時遠離那日夜 折磨他的挫折感。像現在完美的片刻,只有他與艾莉絲,這樣就足夠了;這也就是他全部 所需要的而已。 「唉!真討厭!」艾莉絲突然小聲地吐出一句。 「怎麼了?」偉克問說,心理卻不太想知道。他只希望繼續待在艾莉絲身邊,輕嗅她身上 傳來的香味,並拋下其他所有事物不管。 「那邊有個很古怪的男人站在那猛盯著我們看。」艾莉絲說。 偉克倏地睜開眼睛。美夢結束了,就像夏日午後的肥皂泡般地破裂。 他轉頭看到一名樣貌粗鄙的人站在渡輪甲板的另一頭盯著他們,臉上帶著一抹無禮的微笑 ;嘴裡還刁了一根香菸。那男的身穿打獵背心加一條迷彩褲,頭戴一頂髒兮兮的棒球帽而 腳下踩了一雙破舊不堪的工作靴。 偉克緩步走向那向那名男子。「你有什麼問題嗎?」偉克帶著挑釁的語氣問,並為了壓過 引擎聲而提高了音量。 那男的沒做聲,只是裝模作樣地緩緩抽了一口菸,然後繼續盯著偉克夫婦瞧。 「艾倫,算了!」艾莉絲說。「別過去,跟人起衝突可不是一個假期好的開始。」 偉克跟著艾莉絲走回車上,一路上兩人都沒講話直到坐進車裡。 「你……你有時候真的讓我很害怕。」艾莉絲說。 「對不起……」偉克說,卻不對著艾莉絲的眼睛,而是看著她喉嚨底下血管的脈動。偉克 很氣自己讓艾莉絲感到緊張害怕。 「像剛剛那種男人……不值得去跟他們計較,」艾莉絲說,邊握緊偉克的手。「你需要學 著做點忍讓才行。」 「我才做不到,」偉克說。「你一忍讓,這個社會就會把你給生吞活剝了。」 「才不會勒!」艾莉絲說。「大部分的人都還是很友善的。」 偉克只是哼了一聲。 “Alan Wake, they most certainly are.” “What about the ones who aren’t good?” said Wake, looking past her as the town came clearly into view, a collection of bright storefronts and a few small houses scattered across the surrounding hills. People and cars waited at the ferry dock. He turned back to her. “What about the ones who want to hurt us?” “Why would anyone want to hurt us?” Wake reached over and kissed her. “Envy. Who wouldn’t want what we have?” Alice kissed him back, her lips warm and pouting. “Well, they can’t have it. ” Alice drove the car off the ferry and onto the dock, past the fishermen lining the railing and people waiting to board. There was a chill in the air now, clouds building up on the horizon. Locals in quilted jackets clomped down the sidewalk, eating ice cream cones, enjoying the sunshine. No seagulls, which was odd, since they usually hovered around the waterfront, looking for scraps and leftovers. No seagulls. Just ravens watching from the roofs and power lines. Wake shivered. “It’s nice, isn’t it?” said Alice. “Quaint. No one seems to be in a hurry.” “Wait until Deerfest,” said Wake, “the place will be throbbing with activity.” “See, I knew you were going to like it here,” said Alice. “Don’t get carried away,” said Wake. “I was just kidding.” “That’s what I mean,” said Alice. “Your sense of humor…it’s coming back. I’m so happy. These last couple of years you got so serious.” “Well, these last couple years, things were serious,” said Wake. “Not today, though. Today, we’re going to pick up the key to our cabin and officially start the vacation, and if you’re good, very, very good, I’ll take you to Deerfest and let you pet Bambi.” “You need to take a look around and see where you are, city boy,” teased Alice. “Around here, they don’t pet Bambi, they eat him.” 「艾倫.偉克!肯定有些人們是友善的」艾莉絲說。 「是阿,剛剛遇到的那個人就挺好的。」偉克說完轉頭觀看已經接近到可以一覽全貌的小 鎮;有許多聚集在一起有著明亮店鋪的商店,也有著散落在各處山丘上的小屋。在渡輪碼 頭上,有許多人車正等著上渡輪。他回頭向艾莉絲問說「妳對剛剛那個想傷害我們的男人 怎麼想?」 「為什麼會有人想傷害我們?」 偉克傾身向艾莉絲,然後吻了她一下說:「因為忌妒,誰不想像我們這般恩愛呢?」 艾莉絲吻了回去,她的嘴唇又溫暖又豐厚。「這個嘛,他們是沒辦法像我們這樣啦。」 艾莉絲將車開下渡輪來到了碼頭上,開過在護欄邊排成一列的釣客和一群準備登船的人們 。空氣中已開始帶有寒意,遠處天邊的雲層也逐漸變厚;不過小鎮的居民仍穿著衍缝棉衣 在大街上晃,嘴裡吃著冰淇淋捲,享受仍殘留著的陽光。偉克突然覺得有些不對勁,平常 應該在岸邊四處盤旋找尋食物渣吃的海鷗居然一隻都沒看見,有的只是聚集停留在屋頂和 電線桿上的烏鴉,這使得偉克不由得感到一股寒顫。 「這小鎮很不錯吧?」艾莉絲說。「有種純樸的氣氛,每個人看起來都不急不徐的。」 「等到了獵鹿節就不一樣了,」偉克說。「到時這個地方就會開始瘋狂起來。」 「看吧,我就知道你會喜歡上這地方。」艾莉絲說。 「話別說的那麼早,」偉克說。「我剛剛只是說笑吧了。」 「那就是我的意思,」艾莉絲說。「我真的很高興你的幽默感又回來。最近幾年你整個人 都變得好嚴肅。」 「這個嘛,那是因為最近幾年生活也變得很嚴酷的關係,」偉克說。「不過今天不一樣。 今天,我們在拿了小屋的鑰匙後就要正式開始我們的假期;而且如果妳表現的很乖,真的 非常的乖話,我就帶妳參加獵鹿節,並讓妳養一隻小鹿斑比。」 「你需要好好看看你現在在哪裡,都市佬,」艾莉絲嘲弄地說。「在這裡可不把班比當寵 物,而是食物。」 -- ※ 發信站: 批踢踢實業坊(ptt.cc) ◆ From: 114.45.34.106

06/09 14:02, , 1F
或許可以先挑戰正確使用標點符號?
06/09 14:02, 1F

06/09 17:53, , 2F
煩請指教,哪邊用的不好呢?
06/09 17:53, 2F

06/09 19:06, , 3F
請查明中文引號
06/09 19:06, 3F

06/09 19:06, , 4F
以及何謂全形
06/09 19:06, 4F
※ 編輯: justicedead 來自: 114.45.34.106 (06/09 23:06)

06/09 23:10, , 5F
學到了東西,感謝兩位。
06/09 23:10, 5F

06/10 21:34, , 6F
注意到一個小地方XD cleft chin不是雙下巴吧
06/10 21:34, 6F

06/11 22:53, , 7F
cleft chin我剛看到也以為是指下巴上有疤痕什麼的,但
06/11 22:53, 7F

06/11 22:55, , 8F
查了一下應該是指雙下巴沒錯,維基百科資料給你參考->
06/11 22:55, 8F

06/12 00:07, , 10F
原po是不是誤解雙下巴的定義啦?各用google圖片查查看吧
06/12 00:07, 10F

06/12 00:09, , 11F
不是雙下巴耶~雙下巴的"分線"是橫向的(google圖片即知
06/12 00:09, 11F

06/12 00:55, , 12F
林青霞和寇克.道格拉斯
06/12 00:55, 12F

06/12 02:10, , 13F
硬漢下巴 :P 話說這個專有名詞的譯名查一下應該有吧
06/12 02:10, 13F

06/12 11:17, , 14F
屁股下巴XDDDD
06/12 11:17, 14F

06/12 19:32, , 15F
阿sorry是我搞錯了,正確名稱名稱好像叫顎裂
06/12 19:32, 15F
※ 編輯: justicedead 來自: 114.45.33.112 (06/12 19:36)

06/12 19:57, , 16F
剛剛和朋友聊到,她說在林青霞很紅的年代這樣也叫雙下巴
06/12 19:57, 16F

06/12 19:59, , 17F
也許在某個年代確實有人這樣稱呼?
06/12 19:59, 17F

06/12 21:23, , 18F
我是沒到那個年代啦,不過我也是模糊有印象有人曾用雙
06/12 21:23, 18F

06/12 21:24, , 19F
下巴稱呼cleft chin那種下巴型。
06/12 21:24, 19F