[翻譯]McGrady looking for the glaring omis …

看板T-mac作者 (Cola)時間19年前 (2004/11/02 19:51), 編輯推噓3(300)
留言3則, 3人參與, 最新討論串1/2 (看更多)
McGrady 找尋那明顯的缺失 : McGrady looking for the glaring omission 得分王注意於球隊的成功,以在個人榮耀上增添財富。 : Scoring champ eyes team success to add to wealth of individual honors : By JONATHAN FEIGEN : Copyright 2004 Houston Chronicle : http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/2874727 沒有展示了什麼。淡淡的微笑,懶洋洋的雙眼。這似乎暗示著他在策劃著什麼,或是已得 出了結論。 : Nothing shows. There is a slight smile. Sleepy eyes. The look seems to : indicate he is plotting something, or reaching some sort of a conclusion. 這微笑是不是只是個假笑?它有否提供了什麼提示?這是否啟示了,或至少提示了我們,ꔊ他手中究章有什麼牌? : Is the smile a smirk? Does that offer a clue? Is it a "tell" that reveals, or : at least hints, at the cards he holds? Tracy McGrady分享了他的想法,有的時候,他口中的話就像他往籃框切入的第一步般猛 戳。但那樸克臉似乎還掩藏著更多。 : Tracy McGrady shares a few thoughts, sometimes with verbal jabs as sudden and : startling as his first step to the basket. But the poker face seems to be : hiding more. 在對Orlando的季前賽,因Jeff Van Gundy要看看他的隊友,而沒有讓他出賽的那一場, 他坐在後備席的時候也掛著那個表情。我們很輕易就能想像,他在想所有能讓他在那些質疑 和中傷他的人面前,證明自己的事。在他道出失敗的痛的同時,他的眼就更加地合上了(?) 這洩露出他的決心。 : He wore that look on the bench in Orlando when he was held out of a preseason : game so Jeff Van Gundy could get a look at his teammates. And it was easy to : imagine him thinking of all he wanted to prove to those who would doubt and : malign him. He talks of the pain of losing as his eyes seem to close even : more until he almost glowers. And he seems to divulge a resolve. McGrady描繪出他的球員生涯和他得到了什麼。他說那些成功不再讓人滿足,也說他的潛力 還未完全發揮。雖然他那露齒的笑從未離開他,但看起來,他完全沒有感到欣慶。 : McGrady describes his career so far and what is left of it. He speaks of : accomplishments that no longer satisfy, of potential unfulfilled. And though : that grin never quite leaves him, he doesn't seem at all amused. 相反地,他在來到Houston後堅持,雖然沒有人有異議,他要去證明一些事。他看起來差不 多要放棄在那笑容和懶洋洋的眼後的東西。 : Instead, he arrives in Houston insisting, though no one argues, that he has : something to prove. And he almost seems to give away what is behind that slight : smile and sleepy eyes. 「就是這樣,」McGrady說。「當你過了我剛過著的球季,當你是我那種球員,所有人質疑 你,所有人對你指指點點。去年,我的肩膀上有很多很多。有很多關於我的說話都是負面 的。問題就是你要如何在逆境中反彈。 : "That's what it's all about," McGrady said. "When you have the type of season : I had, the type of player that I am, everybody questions your drive, everybody : points fingers at you and has these things to say about you. There was a lot on : my shoulders last year. There was a lot said about me in a negative way. It's : how you bounce back from that. 「批評使我更強。當你站出去並證明批評者是錯的,他們要照照鏡子,想想他們想說的究 竟是不是他們說過的話。 : "Criticism to me always makes me stronger. When you go out and prove your : critics wrong, they have to look themselves in the mirror and wonder if they : meant what they said. 「這沒有困擾我。我對此並不擔心。我想證明我能戴上冠軍指環。」 : "That doesn't bother me. I don't worry about that. I want to prove that I can : wear the (championship) jewelry." Looking inside McGrady像是一個能夠贏取總冠軍的人。他提供了證據去支持這假設。但他並未證明了它。 : McGrady looks like a player who can win championships. He has offered evidence : to support the assumption. But he has not proven it. 邁向另一步的時候似乎是正確的。上兩季,在得分榜上力壓群雄,McGrady完成了輝煌的個 人成就。助攻失誤比是不錯的,but they make shoes and commercials for the scoring champion.(完全不懂譯) : The timing for that next step seems right. In leading the NBA in scoring the : past two seasons, McGrady has achieved the most glorified individual : accomplishment. Assist-to-turnover ratio is nice, but they make shoes and : commercials for the scoring champion. 但McGrady有時是第一個提及他從未贏個一個季後賽系列的人。他從未在一支較強的隊伍輸 過(因為未待過?) 但現在他有一種覺得自己是一隊夠好的隊伍的一份子,而他的表現是可 以用球隊的表現來量度的感覺。 : But McGrady often is the first to mention that he has never won a playoff : series. He has never lost one with the better team, but now there is a sense : that he is a part of a team good enough that he can be fairly measured by how : well his team performs. 「他有很多事要證明。」Rockets 教練 Jeff Van Gundy說。「我也有很多要去證明。我們 有很多很多事事要去證明。」 : "He has a lot to prove," Rockets coach Jeff Van Gundy said. "I have a lot to : prove. We all have a lot to prove. 「我認為自己能夠成為冠軍隊的教練,但到現在為止,我所證明的,就只有我能帶領球隊 走到那兒。我未證明自己能越過難關並拿下冠軍。他證明了自己能把球隊帶入季後賽,但 未能再進一步。你可以和Garnett比較一下。」 : "I think I can be a championship coach, but until I do it, all I proved is : can get a team there. I haven't proven I can get over the hump and do it. He's : proven he can get a team to the playoffs, but hasn't been able to advance yet. : You can make a great parallel to (Kevin) Garnett." 但Garnett在贏得第一個季後賽系列,並帶領Wolves進入西岸決賽之前,並沒有跌得如此痛 。他接受了他應得的批評,但McGrady所受的譴責是更個人和輕蔑的。 : But Garnett did not fall as hard before winning a playoff series for the first : time and taking the Timberwolves to the Western Conference finals last season. : He received his share of criticism. But the censure of McGrady was much more : personal and contemptuous. 「在這聯盟,當你敗了,他們就嘗試去破壞你的籃球名聲。」Van Gundy說。「所有人希望 去標籤所有人。他們會繼續對他說三道四直至他勝利了。」 : "When you lose in this league, they will try to assassinate your basketball : character," Van Gundy said. "Everybody wants to label everybody. They're going : to say what they say about him until he wins. 「這就是Jordon在他贏之前所穿越的情況。『如果你是聯盟中的高得分者,你不能贏』然 後他贏了。三年前說能些話的人被指責,他們便說:『他變了』。他沒有變。圍繞著他的 球隊變了。」 : "It's the same stuff (Michael) Jordan went through until he won. 'You can't win : when you're the high scorer in the league.' Then he won. ... The same people : that coronated him three years before had the criticism. Then they said, 'He : changed.' He hadn't changed. The team around him changed. 「現在有太多要說了。如果你想聆聽並回應所有事,這能侵蝕你。他需要維持頭腦清醒。 我們希望他,我也知道他希望自己,成為卓越的、偉大的。 : "There's so much talk now. It can sap you if you want to listen and respond to : everything. He has to be clear-headed. We expect him, and I know he expects : himself, to be great." Taking it all in McGrady, 25,和其他大部份球員很不同。他知道別人怎樣說他,但沒有掩飾他的漠不關心 。他說他有讀報紙、收聽訪談節目和收看電視報導。 : McGrady, 25, is different from many players. He knows what has been said about : him and does not feign indifference. He said he does read the newspapers, : listen to the talk shows and watch television reports. 「我們所有人都知道。」他說。「因為如果我們不知道,媒體也會告訴我們。」 : "We all know," he said, "because if we didn't, (the media) would tell us." McGrady在Orlando時並不知道,要被人告訴其他人說了什麼話是關於他的。雖然他的表情 並沒有表達出任何憤露,他表明他並不欣賞這些譴責。 : McGrady did not, however, have to be told what was said about him in Orlando. : Though his expression again displayed no anger, he has made it clear he did not : appreciate the condemnation. 「讓我告訴你一些事吧!當事情發展至此,他們就搬出所有藉口並完全歸咎於明星球員」 McGrady說。「所有的責難都是指向我的。我在餘下的生涯都要帶著它。即使在這球隊,如 果我們輸了,我也會被指著說,因為我們是這隊的明星球員。」 : "Let me tell you something, when something goes on like that, they're going to : come up with all kinds of excuses and blame it on the star player," McGrady : said. "All the blame is pointed on me, which is cool. I'll take that the rest : of my career. Even with this team, if we lose, it's going to be pointed at me : because we are star players of the team. 「我看了一些Weisbrod說的話,說T-mac可以在得了30或40分後,在離開體育館時,說他做 了他該做的。他並不清楚我在回家後會怎樣。我或不會把它在球員之間或在這兒表達,但 當我回到家,回到我的小圈子裡,我是為了輸球而憤怒的。」 : "I was reading a couple of quotes where (Magic general manager John) Weisbrod : said T-Mac can leave the gym having 30 or 40 and he walked out saying he did : his part. He doesn't understand what I was going through when I went home. I : might not show it around the players or around here, but when I go home to my : people, to my inner circle, I'm (angry) because we 're losing. 「他嘗試去破壞我的聲譽。某些跟我共事的人,說『那家伙不知自己在想什麼。他不認識 你。』但他們都能明白球賽。當你交易我這種等級的球員,以及所有發生的事,你要為了 你的聲譽去掩飾。」 : "He tried to destroy (my reputation). Some of the things people that work with : me ... say, 'That guy is out of his mind. He doesn't know you.' But they all : understand the game as well. When you trade somebody of my caliber, with all : the stuff that went on, he has to cover his (reputation)." Weisbrod說他交易掉,至少無法欣賞McGrady是因為McGrady看來不會為輸球而沮喪。所以 在他眼中McGrady是第一個要去交易掉的人。 : Weisbrod has said he dealt or at least could not relate to McGrady in part : because McGrady did not seem upset by losses. That would make McGrady the first : player ever traded because of his eyelids. 但McGrady是這隊輸了61場賽事的隊伍中最好的球員。他可以扺抗批評但不可以扺抗紀錄。 : But McGrady was the best player on a team that lost 61 games. He can dispute : the criticism but not the record. 他和Van Gundy認為這可能對他有用。 : He and Van Gundy also can argue it might have been useful for him. 「對他來說這是沒了銳氣的一年。」Van Gundy說。「你不會在19連敗後不去想竟發生了什 事。我想我們在他的生涯中,一個正確的時間得到了他。他在正確的時間來到了這裡。這 可以是一個很好,很好的配搭。 : "It was a very humbling year for him," Van Gundy said. "You don't lose 19 games : in a row and not look within for what's going on. I think we're getting him at : the right time of his career. He's coming here at the right time. It can be a : very, very good mix." Hard work ahead McGrady不是唯一一個正在看在的。聯盟知道McGrady的名聲變得怎樣。那些標籤或許不是 並未刻下,但至少,已經跟著他。 : McGrady was not the only one looking. The league knew what had become of : McGrady's reputation. Labels might not have been tattooed, but they were stuck : to him like Post-its. Rockets已經考慮交易機會夠久了。他們已決定他們對所有事,包括McGrady那不時疼痛的 背到他的工作習性。他們看了錄影帶,參考資料並聽取他了助理教練,McGrady在Orlando 的前任隊友,Patrick Ewing的心裡話。 : The Rockets juggled the trade possibility long enough to decide what they : thought about everything from McGrady's often sore back to his work habits. : They watched tapes, leaned on sources and called in assistant coach Patrick : Ewing, a former McGrady teammate in Orlando, for a heart-to-heart. 「我告訴Jeff,我認為他是一個非常棒的球員,對我來說也是個非常棒的隊友。」Ewing說 。「我認為Jeff能把他帶到下一個層次。我就是說了這麼多。」 : "I told Jeff I thought he was a great player and a great teammate for me," : Ewing said. "I thought Jeff could get him to the next level, and that's what : I told him." Van Gundy並沒有忽略McGrady在上個球季的毛病。防守上,他從在Toronto時的傑出,變成 了在Orlando時的交通路標(按:在香港是叫雪榚筒吧?!不知在台灣是叫什麼?)但Van Gundy深信他的不足之處並不是難以管教的。 : Van Gundy did not consider McGrady without fault last season. Defensively, : McGrady had gone from outstanding in Toronto to a traffic cone in Orlando. But : Van Gundy was also convinced that his shortcomings were not intractable. 「不知不覺地,當你度過了一或兩個差勁的球季,你會墮進一些壞習慣中。」Van Gundy說。 「因為,並不是每一場球賽都是重要的。過了去年的首二十場比賽,他們就完了。跌倒是 件很容易的事。」 : "Subconsciously, when you go through a bad year or two ... you fall into some : bad habits," Van Gundy said. "Because not every possession or every game is : important. After the first 20 games last year, they were out. It's easy to slip. 「Derek Harper是我共事過的球員中其中一個最好的競爭者。當他從Dallas到New York, 他們在Dallas過了一日段艱辛的日子。當他來到New York,但喪失了正常的水準。解決問 題就是承認它的存在。他承認了它並把他的工作習慣帶回正常。如果一個了不起如Derek Harper的競爭者也會跌倒,所有人也會。所以,有的時候,交易需要一些時間才成有成效。 : "One of the best competitors I ever dealt with was Derek Harper. When he got : traded from Dallas to New York (in 1994), they had gone through some tough : times in Dallas. When he got to New York, he had slipped. Solving a problem is : acknowledging it existed. He acknowledged it and got his habits back to where : they should have been. If a great competitor like Derek Harper can let it slip, : anybody can. That's why a lot of times trades take a while to really work. 「Tracy清楚知道他是誰,他的強處和他能怎樣影響勝利。」 : "Tracy has a good handle on who he is, what his strengths are, how he can : affect winning." 在最後,只有勝利才能回應批評或滿足McGrady。他所成就的還未證明他能贏。 : In the end, only that ?winning ?will answer critics or satisfy McGrady. For all he : has accomplished, he has not proven that. 「我想,我們所有人都有很多事要去證明,個人的,或是團隊的。」Van Gundy說。「能夠 成為一隊季後賽常客的一份子,我是幸運的。我甚至曾幾次進入總決賽和分岸總決賽。但 我未曾證明我能帶領球隊到達頂峰。這驅使我前進。我想這也會驅使個別球員前進。」 : "I think all of us have a lot to prove, individually and together, starting : with me," Van Gundy said. "I've been fortunate to be a part of teams that : have always been in the playoffs. I've even been able to get to the finals, : conference finals a couple times. But I haven't proven that I can get a team : over the top. And that drive: s me. And I think (it drives) individual players." 但時間和歷史會首先指向McGrady。他說他歡迎所有質問,但不會在Rockets老闆Leslie Alxander說他是NBA最好的球員時有所爭論。 : But timing and history point that finger first at McGrady. He said he welcomes : that demand but also did not argue when Rockets owner Leslie Alexander called : him the NBA's best player. 「我接受,但我不會如此看待自己,因為我沒有任何冠軍指環。」McGrady說。「我不在 Kobe Bryant的等級上,因為他有三隻。」 : "I would accept that, but at the same time I won't put myself as the best : player in the NBA because I don't have any jewelry to show for it," McGrady : said. "I'm not at Kobe Bryant's level because he has three rings. 「我感到我是這聯盟中其中一個傑出的球員。如果你在球季結束時這樣問我,而我的陳列 櫃上已有冠軍指環,我會告你:『Yeah,我是這聯盟中最好的球員!』」 : "I feel I'm one of the elite players in this league. If you ask me at the end : of this year and I have some jewelry to showcase, I'll tell you yeah, I'm the : greatest player in this league." 到了這裡,當McGrady微笑而沒有胡說什麼,看來,他知道他要證明什麼。 : Until then, when McGrady sort of smiles and barely squints, he seems to know he : has something to prove. : jonathan.feigen@chron.com : 個人認為寫得很棒的一篇文章…不過太長了,所以沒時間譯… : Hope that T-mac will become a really great player with rings, one day. -- ※ 發信站: 批踢踢實業坊(ptt.cc) ◆ From: 203.218.214.19

210.66.33.241 11/02, , 1F
推~~~感恩^^
210.66.33.241 11/02, 1F

61.31.170.137 11/02, , 2F
推推推
61.31.170.137 11/02, 2F

140.112.18.220 11/03, , 3F
借轉火箭版~~ Thanx~~
140.112.18.220 11/03, 3F
文章代碼(AID): #11XtIvoU (T-mac)
文章代碼(AID): #11XtIvoU (T-mac)