Re: [轉錄] 歐巴馬:和平示威參與投票才是改變正途

看板HatePolitics作者 (嘻嘻)時間4年前 (2020/06/04 09:50), 編輯推噓0(000)
留言0則, 0人參與, 最新討論串3/4 (看更多)
But the elected officials who matter most in reforming police departments and the criminal justice system work at the state and local levels 左膠、川黑、黑人, 直接被自己的精神領袖狠狠打臉啊, 連歐巴馬都出來開示,州和地方層級責任更大, 左膠只會一切都是川普白人至上主義的錯啦啦, 民主黨的Minnesota州政府和Minneapolis市政府沒事兒! ※ 引述《kaiblue (用心作戰)》之銘言: : 1.轉錄標題︰ : 若為BBS他板文章可免填 FB請寫名稱 : 無標題,借用中央社新聞報導的標題 : 美示威潮/反暴力 歐巴馬:和平示威參與投票才是改變正途 : 1.轉錄網址︰ : ※超過一行請縮址,若為BBS他板文章可免填※ : https://reurl.cc/lVX649 : 2.轉錄來源︰ : ※超過一行請縮址,若為 他板文章可免填※ : 歐巴馬FB : 3.轉錄內容︰ : ※請完整轉載原文 請勿修改內文與編排※ : 標題:歐巴馬:和平示威參與投票才是改變正途 : As millions of people across the country take to the streets and raise their : voices in response to the killing of George Floyd and the ongoing problem of : unequal justice, many people have reached out asking how we can sustain : momentum to bring about real change. : Ultimately, it’s going to be up to a new generation of activists to shape : strategies that best fit the times. But I believe there are some basic lesso ns : to draw from past efforts that are worth remembering. : First, the waves of protests across the country represent a genuine and : legitimate frustration over a decades-long failure to reform police practice s : and the broader criminal justice system in the United States. The overwhelmi ng : majority of participants have been peaceful, courageous, responsible, and : inspiring. They deserve our respect and support, not condemnation – somethi ng : that police in cities like Camden and Flint have commendably understood. : On the other hand, the small minority of folks who’ve resorted to violence in : various forms, whether out of genuine anger or mere opportunism, are putting : innocent people at risk, compounding the destruction of neighborhoods that a re : often already short on services and investment and detracting from the large r : cause. I saw an elderly black woman being interviewed today in tears because : the only grocery store in her neighborhood had been trashed. If history is a ny : guide, that store may take years to come back. So let’s not excuse violence ,o : rationalize it, or participate in it. If we want our criminal justice system , : and American society at large, to operate on a higher ethical code, then we : have to model that code ourselves. : Second, I’ve heard some suggest that the recurrent problem of racial bias i n : our criminal justice system proves that only protests and direct action can : bring about change, and that voting and participation in electoral politics is : a waste of time. I couldn’t disagree more. The point of protest is to raise : public awareness, to put a spotlight on injustice, and to make the powers th at : be uncomfortable; in fact, throughout American history, it’s often only bee n : in response to protests and civil disobedience that the political system has : even paid attention to marginalized communities. But eventually, aspirations : have to be translated into specific laws and institutional practices – and in : a democracy, that only happens when we elect government officials who are : responsive to our demands. : Moreover, it’s important for us to understand which levels of government ha ve : the biggest impact on our criminal justice system and police practices. When w : think about politics, a lot of us focus only on the presidency and the feder al : government. And yes, we should be fighting to make sure that we have a : president, a Congress, a U.S. Justice Department, and a federal judiciary th at : actually recognize the ongoing, corrosive role that racism plays in our soci et : and want to do something about it. But the elected officials who matter most i : reforming police departments and the criminal justice system work at the sta te : and local levels. : It’s mayors and county executives that appoint most police chiefs and : negotiate collective bargaining agreements with police unions. It’s distric t : attorneys and state’s attorneys that decide whether or not to investigate a nd : ultimately charge those involved in police misconduct. Those are all elected : positions. In some places, police review boards with the power to monitor : police conduct are elected as well. Unfortunately, voter turnout in these lo ca : races is usually pitifully low, especially among young people – which makes n : sense given the direct impact these offices have on social justice issues, n ot : to mention the fact that who wins and who loses those seats is often determi ne : by just a few thousand, or even a few hundred, votes. : So the bottom line is this: if we want to bring about real change, then the : choice isn’t between protest and politics. We have to do both. We have to : mobilize to raise awareness, and we have to organize and cast our ballots to : make sure that we elect candidates who will act on reform. : Finally, the more specific we can make demands for criminal justice and poli ce : reform, the harder it will be for elected officials to just offer lip servic e : to the cause and then fall back into business as usual once protests have go ne : away. The content of that reform agenda will be different for various : communities. A big city may need one set of reforms; a rural community may n ee : another. Some agencies will require wholesale rehabilitation; others should : make minor improvements. Every law enforcement agency should have clear : policies, including an independent body that conducts investigations of alle ge : misconduct. Tailoring reforms for each community will require local activist s : and organizations to do their research and educate fellow citizens in their : community on what strategies work best. : But as a starting point, I’ve included two links below. One leads to a repo rt : and toolkit developed by the Leadership Conference on Civil and Human Rights : and based on the work of the Task Force on 21st Century Policing that I form ed : when I was in the White House. And if you’re interested in taking concrete : action, we’ve also created a dedicated site at the Obama Foundation to : aggregate and direct you to useful resources and organizations who’ve been : fighting the good fight at the local and national levels for years. : I recognize that these past few months have been hard and dispiriting – tha t : the fear, sorrow, uncertainty, and hardship of a pandemic have been compound ed : by tragic reminders that prejudice and inequality still shape so much of : American life. But watching the heightened activism of young people in recen t : weeks, of every race and every station, makes me hopeful. If, going forward, w : can channel our justifiable anger into peaceful, sustained, and effective : action, then this moment can be a real turning point in our nation’s long : journey to live up to our highest ideals. : Let’s get to work. : - obama.org/policing-civil-rights-org-toolkit : - obama.org/anguish-and-action : 4.附註、心得、想法︰ : 歐巴馬是美國近年來最理性, 最具包容力也最有理想跟號召力的一位總統. : 作為支持民主自由的一方, 坦白說 : 台灣也需要一位像歐巴馬這樣的政治領袖 出來領導 : 只可惜檯面上似乎沒有這樣的人.... -- ※ 發信站: 批踢踢實業坊(ptt.cc), 來自: 89.107.63.62 (英國) ※ 文章網址: https://www.ptt.cc/bbs/HatePolitics/M.1591235405.A.CB8.html
文章代碼(AID): #1Us5DDou (HatePolitics)
討論串 (同標題文章)
文章代碼(AID): #1Us5DDou (HatePolitics)