Re: [Talk] How fabulous it is to have a talk wi …

看板EngTalk作者 (jeff)時間16年前 (2008/04/26 06:23), 編輯推噓1(100)
留言1則, 1人參與, 最新討論串2/3 (看更多)
I think that a lot of the problems that arise from Taiwanese learning English and using it in daily conversation is the fact that there is no differentiation between "written" English and "spoken" English. When you're just speaking to people (a normal conversation), it's best to use the easiest english you know. Plus, I think your question is a little too blunt. You are implying that he is alone here in Taiwan (maybe he has a girlfriend here or other friends that he lives with). This is the reason why conversations are not just one question. Otherwise, it'd be called a simple question-and-answer session. You'd have to ask first how long he's been living in Taiwan. (If he's lived here for a while, then of course he'd be comfortable here.) Do you have a lot of friends or relatives here in Taiwan? (Maybe he does so he doesn't feel uncomfortable.) And I think if you only had time for one question, the easiest question you can ask in order to get the answer you're looking for: "How do you like Taiwan?" It's a general question and it's not very invasive or direct and uncomfortable. So I think you just need to know the difference between using written and spoken english and then you'll be fine. Hope this helps. ※ 引述《emulate (我愛ptt)》之銘言: : This evening , I took the bus 656 , and then I noticed an American , which : accouted for the reason for I have myself seated right behind him . I know : it sounds a little crazy , but I'm really anxious to seize opportunities : to brush up on my English . Afterwards , I tried hard to listen what he was : talking about to the woman seated beside him . Nevertheless , I haven't the slightest : idea what's their topic . Right then , I plucked up my courage to ask the : chinese woman some questions with the intention in mind to start up a coversation : with that American .At first , it's obvious that that chinese woman seemed : unwilling to let me get in their talk . In spite of that , my passion to have : a talk with that American was really apparant , and the woman let me ask that : gentleman some questions . The first qestion is : I wonder whether you'll feel : ill at ease here when you're alone . But I saw a confused look on that man's : face , and I used other words : I want to know if you feel comfortable here : when nobody's with you . This time , he got the picture . Still , his response : is very like that of the chinese woman . He just said "no". It made me sort of : sad how he reacted to my questions ."Maybe I'm a really unexpected interrupter." : I thought . Then . I asked that woman whether he understands chinese first . : It is when that woman gave a negative answer that I said he appears to be by far : the least passionate Amerian I've ever met in chinese , which I thought very : stupid as well as embarrassing . Why do I think so ? That's becouse it's right : then when he turned around and started to appear enthusiastic about the questions : I had raised . The short talk with him gave me a sense that my effort in English : is worthwhile . I don't mean that I'm a fluent English speaker but that I dare : to speak English in public . That counts . Yet , I am very doubtful if I have : a grammatical problem . Why can't I make myself understood when I asked him : whether he feels ill at ease in being alone ? Is it grammtically incorrect or : is it a confusing expression ? Hope someone can take a look at that and say : something about that . -- ※ 發信站: 批踢踢實業坊(ptt.cc) ◆ From: 118.168.87.133

04/26 21:54, , 1F
Agree it!I really hate the audacious questions...
04/26 21:54, 1F
文章代碼(AID): #184bdfyA (EngTalk)
討論串 (同標題文章)
文章代碼(AID): #184bdfyA (EngTalk)