Re: [閒聊] 念書念累時看看steve jobs的演講巴

看板scu_transfer作者 (小鬼…你不想活了嗎?!)時間18年前 (2005/11/03 21:16), 編輯推噓1(102)
留言3則, 2人參與, 最新討論串2/2 (看更多)
http://news-service.stanford.edu/news/2005/june15/videos/53.html 這是線上收聽版 不用擔心聽不懂 他講話很標準XD 要期中考了…大家也裝認真一下吧(′ 3`)y==~ ※ 引述《dreambreaken (小滅滅)》之銘言: : Steve Jobs 對 2005 年 史丹佛 畢業生 演講---2005年六月12日 中文恕刪 下面英文可以對照一下 : ======================================================= : 'You've got to find what you love,' Jobs says : ! : http://news-service.stanford.edu/news/2005/june15/jobs-061505.html : This is the text of the Commencement address by Steve Jobs, : CEO of Apple Computer and of Pixar Animation Studios, delivered on : June 12, 2005. : I am honored to be with you today at your commencement from one of the : finest universities in the world. I never graduated from college. : Truth be told, this is the closest I've ever gotten to a college : graduation. Today I want to tell you three stories from my life. : That's it. No big deal. Just three stories. : The first story is about connecting the dots. : I dropped out of Reed College after the first 6 months, : but then stayed around as a drop-in for another 18 months or so before : I really quit. So why did I drop out? : It started before I was born. My biological mother was a young, unwed : college graduate student, and she decided to put me up for adoption. : She felt very strongly that I should be adopted by college graduates, : so everything was all set for me to be adopted at birth by a lawyer : and his wife. Except that when I popped out they decided at the last : minute that they really wanted a girl. So my parents, who were on a : waiting list, got a call in the middle of the night asking: "We have : an unexpected baby boy; do you want him?" They said: : "Of course." My biological mother later found out that my mother had : never graduated from college and ! that my father had never graduated : from high school. She refused to sign the final adoption papers. She : only relented a few months later when my parents promised that I would : someday go to college. : And 17 years later I did go to college. : But I naively chose a college that was almost as expensive as : Stanford, and all of my working-class parents' savings were being : spent on my college tuition. After six months, I couldn't see the : value in it. I had no idea what I wanted to do with my life and no : idea how college was going to help me figure it out. And here I was : spending all of the money my parents had saved their entire life. So I : decided to drop out and trust that it would all work out OK. It was : pretty scary at the time, but looking back it was one of the best : decisions I ever made. : The minute I dropped out I could sto! p taking the required classes : that didn't interest me, and begin dropping in on the ones that looked : interesting. : It wasn't all romantic. I didn't have a dorm room, so I slept on the : floor in friends' rooms, I returned coke bottles for the 5? deposits : to buy food with, and I would walk the 7 miles across town every : Sunday night to get one good meal a week at the Hare Krishna temple. I : loved it. And much of what I stumbled into by following my curiosity : and intuition turned out to be priceless later on. : Let me give you one example: : Reed College at that time offered perhaps the best calligraphy : instruction in the country. Throughout the campus every poster, every : label on every drawer, was beautifully hand calligraphed. Because I : had dropped out ! and didn't have to take the normal classes, I : decided to take a calligraphy class to learn how to do this. I learned : about serif and san serif typefaces, about varying the amount of space : between different letter combinations, about what makes great : typography great. It was beautiful, historical, artistically subtle in : a way that science can't capture, and I found it fascinating. : None of this had even a hope of any practical application in my life. : But ten years later, when we were designing the first Macintosh : computer, it all came back to me. And we designed it all into the Mac. : It was the first computer with beautiful typography. If I had never : dropped in on that single course in college, the Mac would have never : had multiple typefaces or proportionally spaced fonts. And since : Windows just copied the Mac, its likely that no personal computer : would have them. If I had never dropped out, I would h! ave never : dropped in on this calligraphy class, and personal computers might not : have the wonderful typography that they do. Of course it was : impossible to connect the dots looking forward when I was in college. : But it was very, very clear looking backwards ten years later. : Again, you can't connect the dots looking forward; you can only : connect them looking backwards. So you have to trust that the dots : will somehow connect in your future. You have to trust in something - : your gut, destiny, life, karma, whatever. This approach has never let : me down, and it has made all the difference in my life. : My second story is about love and loss. : I was lucky – I found what I loved to do early in life. : Woz and I started Apple in my parents garage when I w! as 20. We : worked hard, and in 10 years Apple had grown from just the two of us : in a garage into a $2 billion company with over 4000 employees. We had : just released our finest creation - the Macintosh - a year earlier, : and I had just turned 30. And then I got fired. : How can you get fired from a company you started? : Well, as Apple grew we hired someone who I thought was very talented : to run the company with me, and for the first year or so things went : well. But then our visions of the future began to diverge and : eventually we had a falling out. When we did, our Board of Directors : sided with him. So at 30 I was out. And very publicly out. What had : been the focus of my entire adult life was gone, and it was : devastating. : I really didn't know what to do for a few months. : I felt that I had let the previous generation of entre! preneurs down : - that I had dropped the baton as it was being passed to me. : I met with David Packard and Bob Noyce and tried to apologize for : screwing up so badly. I was a very public failure, and I even thought : about running away from the valley. : But something slowly began to dawn on me – I still loved what I did. : The turn of events at Apple had not changed that one bit. I had been : rejected, but I was still in love. And so I decided to start over. : I didn't see it then, but it turned out that getting fired from Apple : was the best thing that could have ever happened to me. The heaviness : of being successful was replaced by the lightness of being a beginner : again, less sure about everything. It freed me to enter one of the : most creative periods of my life. : During the next five years, I started a company named NeXT, another : company named Pixar, and fell in love with an amazing woman who would : become my wife. Pixar went on to create the worlds first computer : animated feature film, Toy Story, and is now the most successful : animation studio in the world. In a remarkable turn of events, Apple : bought NeXT, I retuned to Apple, and the technology we developed at : NeXT is at the heart of Apple's current renaissance. And Laurene and I : have a wonderful family together. : I'm pretty sure none of this would have happened if I hadn't been : fired from Apple. It was awful tasting medicine, but I guess the : patient needed it. Sometimes life hits you in the head with a brick. : Don't lose faith. I'm convinced that the only thing that kept me going : was that I loved what I did. You've got to find what you love. And : that is as true for your work as it is for your lov! ers. Your work is : going to fill a large part of your life, and the only way to be truly : satisfied is to do what you believe is great work. : And the only way to do great work is to love what you do. : If you haven't found it yet, keep looking. Don't settle. As with all : matters of the heart, you'll know when you find it. And, like any : great relationship, it just gets better and better as the years roll : on. So keep looking until you find it. Don't settle. : My third story is about death. : When I was 17, I read a quote that went something like: : "If you live each day as if it was your last, someday you'll most : certainly be right." It made an impression on me, and since then, for : the past 33 years, I have looked in the mirror every morning and asked : m! yself: "If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do : what I am about to do today?" And whenever the answer has been "No" : for too many days in a row, I know I need to change something. : Remembering that I'll be dead soon is the most important tool I've : ever encountered to help me make the big choices in life. Because : almost everything – all external expectations, all pride, all fear of : embarrassment or failure : - these things just fall away in the face of death, leaving only what : is truly important. : Remembering that you are going to die is the best way I know to avoid : the trap of thinking you have something to lose. You are already : naked. There is no reason not to follow your heart. : About a year ago I was diagnosed with cancer. ! I had a scan at 7:30 : in the morning, and it clearly showed a tumor on my pancreas. I didn't : even know what a pancreas was. The doctors told me this was almost : certainly a type of cancer that is incurable, and that I should expect : to live no longer than three to six months. My doctor advised me to go : home and get my affairs in order, which is doctor's code for prepare : to die. It means to try to tell your kids everything you thought you'd : have the next 10 years to tell them in just a few months. It means to : make sure everything is buttoned up so that it will be as easy as : possible for your family. It means to say your goodbyes. : I lived with that diagnosis all day. Later that evening I had a : biopsy, where they stuck an endoscope down my throat, through my : stomach and into my intestines, put a needle into my pancreas and got : a few cells from the tumor. I was sedated, but my wife, who was there, : told me! that when they viewed the cells under a microscope the : doctors started crying because it turned out to be a very rare form of : pancreatic cancer that is curable with surgery. I had the surgery and : I'm fine now. : This was the closest I've been to facing death, and I hope its the : closest I get for a few more decades. Having lived through it, I can : now say this to you with a bit more certainty than when death was a : useful but purely intellectual concept: : No one wants to die. Even people who want to go to heaven don't want : to die to get there. And yet death is the destination we all share. No : one has ever escaped it. And that is as it should be, because Death is : very likely the single best invention of Life. It is Life's change : agent. It clears out the old to make way for the new. Right now the : new is you, but someday not too! long from now, you will gradually : become the old and be cleared away. Sorry to be so dramatic, but it is : quite true. : Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. : Don't be trapped by dogma - which is living with the results of other : people's thinking. Don't let the noise of other's opinions drown out : your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow : your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly : want to become. Everything else is secondary. : When I was young, there was an amazing publication called The Whole : Earth Catalog, which was one of the bibles of my generation. It was : created by a fellow named Stewart Brand not far from here in Menlo : Park, and he brought it to life with his poetic touch. This was in the : late 1960's, before personal computers and desktop publishing, so it : was all made with typewriters, scissors, and polaroid cameras. It was : sort of like Google in paperback form, 35 years before Google came : along: it was idealistic, and overflowing with neat tools and great : notions. : Stewart and his team put out several issues of The Whole Earth -- ※ 發信站: 批踢踢實業坊(ptt.cc) ◆ From: 59.112.171.93

11/03 23:11, , 1F
謝拉,我正想去找來聽,不過大該要考完試才有時間了
11/03 23:11, 1F

11/03 23:11, , 2F
不然以我的破英文聽完考試都考完了
11/03 23:11, 2F

11/04 07:59, , 3F
你知道就好..有自知之明 還沒有笨的很誇張...恭喜妳~
11/04 07:59, 3F
文章代碼(AID): #13QWt9Vw (scu_transfer)
文章代碼(AID): #13QWt9Vw (scu_transfer)