[外電] The Greatest

看板Sixers作者 (Let go Yankees!)時間18年前 (2006/08/24 20:22), 編輯推噓8(800)
留言8則, 8人參與, 最新討論串1/2 (看更多)
The Greatest 最偉大的球員 By Harvey Pollack http://www.nba.com/encyclopedia/pollack_wilt.html As one who has seen every player in my 60 years in the NBA, there is no doubt in my mind who is the greatest player in the league's history. Yes, without any reservations I award that distinction to Wilt Chamberlain. 做為一位已經在 NBA 待了六十年、看過這些年所有球員的人來說,在我心目中 聯盟歷史上哪一位最偉大是毫無疑問的。是的,不須預約他就擁有我心目中的 地位,他就是張伯倫。 I had the good fortune to be the publicity director of the Philadelphia Warriors and the publicity director of the Philadelphia 76ers during Wilt's two periods in this city. He and I became great friends during those times, and his relationship continued right to his untimely death. 在張伯倫的兩段費城歲月裡,我很榮幸地曾在費城勇士隊和費城七六人隊擔任過 公關部主任。他和我在那段歲月裡是很好的朋友,而與他的關係一直到他英年早 逝為止。 A look at the NBA record book and a count of the number of times Wilt is still listed as holding NBA records is positive proof of his stature. Remember he last played in 1972 and almost 35 years later his name dominates the record book. He dwarfs the totals of such luminaries as Michael Jordan, Larry Bird, Bill Russell and the like. My statistical yearbook annually shows the superiority of Wilt over Russell in every statistical category except championships. But the comparison of Wilt with any player on a statistical basis leaves little room for argument. 翻翻 NBA 的紀錄本、算一算 Wilt 在名單上出現的次數,仍舊保有的 NBA 紀錄 是他典範永存的最佳例證。記得 1972 年是他最後一個球季而 35 年後的今天他 的名字仍然在紀錄上無人出其右。他讓那些傑出的球員,包括 Michael Jordan、 Larry Bird、Bill Russell 等全都顯得矮小。我的數據年報每年都告訴我除了冠 軍次數外, Wilt 是如何地在每項欄位勝過 Russell。在數據的比較上,Wilt 從 來沒給其他球員有爭論的空間。 Wilt was an individual who loved to win regardless of the type of competition involved. He was a special expert in the many card games with his teammates on bus, train or airplane trips. It's been well know that he had an unbeatable night the evening that he scored his famed 100 points in Hershey, PA. Owner Eddie Gottlieb made it a habit to get to Hershey many hours before game time so the players whiled away their time in the arcade in the building. Naturally there was lots of betting going on and Wilt cleaned up both on pinball machines and in shooting down clay pigeons. Wilt 是不管在何種競爭裡都想要獲勝的人。在球隊巴士、火車、飛機上和隊友一起玩 的撲克牌遊戲,他同樣是頂尖高手。他在 Hershey 球場那個所向無敵的晚上得到 100 分的故事已經廣為人知,當時的球隊老闆 Eddie Gottlieb 還會提早在比賽前幾個小時 到球場讓球員能夠在拱廊下消磨一些時光。而在 Wilt 橫掃彈珠台和射倒陶模企鵝的 同時,旁邊出現一堆人下注也是很自然的事。(譯按:難道他也是夜市小遊戲之王嗎?) Yet he was outstanding elsewhere as a high jumper at high school and at Kansas. When he retired from basketball, volleyball became his forte. Some say he could have been an NFL superstar as a wide receiver. He also was on the verge of fighting Muhammad Ali to demonstrate his boxing skill but fate intervened and the bout never came off. 在肯薩斯州的高中時期,他就以一個跳跳人而家喻戶曉。當他從籃球場上走下來時, 排球變成他的專長。有些人說他也可以當外接員在 NFL 成為超級明星。他同時也在 拳王阿里的熱潮時展現他的拳擊技巧,但是命運的安排使得他的拳擊試合始終沒開始 。 Wilt as also quite a speaker, and he demonstrated that at the many public appearances he made. I accompanied him repeatedly on those jaunts, and he was at ease in front of audiences of youngsters or adults. He handled every question and never refused to give his opinion on any subject. When he visited children's hospitals, you can imagine the open-eyed reaction of the youngsters as they saw this 7'1" giant come to their bedside and engage in conversation or sign autographs or bring gifts from the team to distribute. Wilt 也是相當好的演說者,而且他在許多公開場合展現過演說能力。我屢次在那些 公開場合看他應對輕鬆,無論對象是年輕人或成年人。他掌握了每個問題並且從未 拒絕發表意見。當他造訪兒童醫院時,你可以想像當一個七呎一的巨漢出現在他們 床邊、與他們談話或簽名或給他們球隊提供的禮物時,那些小孩們張大眼睛的神情。 Wilt was a student of the game and observed closely his opponents while he was a player and after his retirement. We had many lengthy phone conversations about statistics in the periods when he was writing his books. One time he asked me, "Do you know that Michael Jordan can't shoot past 15 feet?" I asked him how he knew that. His response: "Don't you watch the games?" Wilt 無論在球員時期或是退休之後,他都像個學生般地仔細研究它的對手。在他寫 書的時候,我們有過多次的長時間通話,聊關於數據方面的事。有一次他問我:"你知 道 Michael Jordan 不能在超過 15 呎的地方射籃嗎?" 我問他如何得知。他回答: "難道你都沒看比賽嗎?" "Not that closely," I said. "沒...沒那麼仔細啦!"我這麼回答。 He challenged me to prove otherwise. So I gathered material to show what Jordan did that season on every shot he took and from what distance. Guess what? Wilt was right. Jordan shot about 36% from the 15-foot mark back. That taught me not to doubt the big guy again. 他接著說如果我不信,就證明給他看。所以我開始蒐集資料來看 Jordan 該季每一個 投籃和出手的距離。你猜怎麼著? Wilt 是對的。 Jordan 在十五呎外的投籃命中率 大約是三成六而已。這告訴我不能再懷疑這個大個子了。 I do remember the only time I beat him. Wilt used to complain and rightly so, that he never was credited with his rebounds on the road especially, but even at his home court where I was the statistician. So unknown to me, one night at Philly's Convention Hall, he had his close friend, Vince Miller, keep track of his rebounds in that game. Eddie Gottlieb was in on the ruse. So when the game as over, Gotty came to me at the press table and asked me how many rebounds I had awarded Wilt. He said, "Don't distribute the box scores until I return." Then he got Miller's totals and went up to the Warriors' dressing room and he asked Wilt, "Whose rebound totals do you want to be official, Miller's or Harvey's?" Wilt promptly said, "Miller's of course." Gotty replied, "Well Harvey gave you more than Vince did." That was the last and only time Wilt ever questioned me. 不過我確實記得我惟一勝過他的那一次。 Wilt 總是自認理所當然地抱怨他不但在客 場搶籃板沒被記錄,即使在我當記錄員的主場也是如此。因此,在不讓我知情的情況 下,有一個晚上在費城的 Convention Hall,他交代他的好朋友,Vince Miller,紀 錄他搶了幾個籃板。Eddie Gottlieb 也是同謀之一。所以在比賽之後, Gotty 來到 記者席問我 Wilt 搶了幾個籃板。他說:"在我回來前先別把分數盒子發佈出去。"接 著他得到 Miller 的總計並且到勇士隊的更衣室,然後他問 Wilt:"你要把誰的總計 當做官方數據?Miller 的或是 Harvey 的?" Wilt 立刻說:"當然是 Miller 的!" Gotty 回道:"Harvey 比 Miller 多給你一個喲!" 自此之後他再也沒懷疑過我。 But I decided to help Wilt in another way. So I went to a Boston-Warriors game in the Boston Garden and secretly kept track of the rebounds of both Wilt and Russell. When the game ended, I went to the press table and asked what the rebound totals were for Wilt and Russell. The response: "Russell 35, Wilt 22." My response, "Well my totals are Wilt 34, Russell 21." They sat open mouthed when I produced my evidence of the time and type of every rebound that each player had. A Sports Illustrated writer nearby heard the conversation and asked me what it was all about. I told him and the next week SI had a story about the incident. Wilt and I chuckled on reading it, but Red Auerbach didn't. For many years thereafter he didn't talk to me, but how we were reconciled is another story that doesn't concern Wilt. When Wilt was writing his book, he often called me for information. In fact, if you look at his books, you'll find me credited. He loved talking with me and most times he was the one that initiated the call. I'd love to have the money those phone calls cost him. 不過我決定用另外的方式來幫助 Wilt。因此我到波士頓花園去看 Celtics 對 Warriors 的比賽,並且秘密地紀錄 Wilt 和 Russell 的籃板數。當比賽結束時,我到記者席 問Wilt 和 Russell 的籃板總數。得到的回應是"Russell 35,Wilt 22" 我回答道: "哦?我記的是 Wilt 34,Russell 21" 他們在我展示我的證據--包括時間以及每個 籃板及每個球員拿到的方式時--張大了嘴。一個正好在附近的運動畫刊記者聽到我們 的對話繫篧L來問發生了什麼事。我告訴他,然後下個禮拜 SI 就把這個意外的故事 刊出來。 Wilt 和我看著報導咯咯笑著,不過他們的教頭 Red Auerbach 可就笑不出 來。而且好幾年之後他還是不跟我說話,我們如何合好那是另外一個故事了。(譯按: Red Auerbach 還活著。) 當 Wilt 在寫他的書時,他經常打電話問我。事實上,如果 你看他的書,你會找到感謝我的部份。他喜歡跟我聊天而且大部分是他打給我。我真 希望能夠擁有等同那些電話費的錢。 He never forgot me. When the NBA had a big anniversary party in New York, he called the NBA and requested that I be invited. That resulted in me being in a hotel room with George Mikan, Julius Erving, Bill Russell and Wilt. My only regret in life is that I didn't have a tape machine to record all the stories that were told about their NBA careers. Wilt was the butt of one of Russell's stories. I just sat there and listened. Finally I asked if I could tell one anecdote. They all agreed. So I said, "Wilt do you remember who you posted your 55 rebounds against?" Wilt said, "I think it was against New York." 他從未忘記我。當 NBA 在紐約有個盛大的年度派對,他打電話給 NBA 當局要求我 必須被邀請。那使我與 George Mikan、Julius Erving、Bill Russell 和 Wilt 同 房間。我這一生唯一的悔恨就是沒用一個錄像機把這些球星談論他們 NBA 生涯的故 事給錄下來。Wilt 是 Russell 故事裡嘲笑的對象其中之一。我只是坐在那靜靜聽著 。最後,我問到是否可以說個祕聞。他們都同意了。因此我說,"Wilt,你記得你抓 下五十五個籃板的對手是誰嗎?" Wilt 說 "我想是紐約吧?" "Wrong Wilt, it was Russell," I said. Wilt exploded from his seat and stood up and pointed at Russell's face and yelled, "Now I remember it was you," and everybody in the room roared in laughter. "錯了,Wilt,是 Russell" 我說道。接著Wilt 從他的椅子上跳了起來並且指著 Russell 喊道,"現在我記得是你了!" 然後房間裡的其他人哄堂大笑。 There are many other portions of Wilt's life to relate and perhaps if I ever write my book on my 60 plus years in the NBA, I'll include them. For the moment, I'm satisfied to go on record as labeling Wilt the greatest and wish he hadn't retired so soon at the age of 35. We couldn't take advantage of the introduction of blocked shots the year after he called it quits. Imagine how many triple doubles he would have had in points, rebounds and blocked shots and how many quadruple doubles he would have in 1967-68 when he led the league in assists. 還有許多 Wilt 生命中的故事與我有關,如果我要寫一本關於我這六十餘年的 NBA 歲月,我一定會將他們寫入。在此刻,我對於將 Wilt 標示為最偉大的球員感到滿 足,並且多麼希望他沒有在35歲就退休。我們在他退休之後的那一年在阻攻方面佔 不到任何便宜。想像他會有多少個大三元--在得分籃板和阻攻方面,會有多少個大 四喜,在 1967-1968 他助攻領先全聯盟的那個球季。 Happy 70th, Wilt! 七十歲生日快樂,Wilt! -- ※ 發信站: 批踢踢實業坊(ptt.cc) ◆ From: 61.57.134.24

08/24 23:00, , 1F
這不叫生日吧 叫70冥誕?(真適合七月Orz)
08/24 23:00, 1F

08/24 23:18, , 2F
Vince Miller聽起來好像某種三分神準的灌籃之神,恐怖XD
08/24 23:18, 2F

08/25 06:50, , 3F
來個Kobe Jordan怎樣?
08/25 06:50, 3F

08/25 07:06, , 4F
給1F:其實我知道啦,可是翻成 "Wilt,70歲冥誕快樂!"好怪
08/25 07:06, 4F