[新聞]‘Green Hornet’sidekick’s evolving …

看板Jay作者 (橘子海豚)時間13年前 (2011/01/09 02:37), 編輯推噓0(000)
留言0則, 0人參與, 最新討論串1/2 (看更多)
Only in Hollywood ‘Green Hornet’ sidekick’s evolving heritage: He was Pinoy at one point By Ruben V. Nepales Philippine Daily Inquirer First Posted 20:24:00 01/08/2011 Filed Under: Entertainment (general), Cinema, Celebrities http://0rz.tw/vHI24 節錄杰倫相關部份 World star Jay Chou portrays Kato in the 3D movie adaptation of the radio serial, comic book, film and TV series that could turn him from Asian superstar to world star. Kato and his boss, Britt Reid (Seth), who is a publisher and popular media tycoon by day, become masked crime fighters by night. Cameron Diaz, Christoph Waltz, Tom Wilkinson and Edward James Olmos also star. “The name Kato is Japanese and the character was originally Japanese,” Michel said of the other half of the masked heroes. “But because there was World War II, they had to make his character Filipino. And then he became Chinese so it’s a Chinese guy with a Japanese name.” Asia’s megastar Seth chimed in: “When we met Jay, it was our chemistry that really made it seem like it would work. He is a megastar in Asia. He’s exponentially more famous and successful than I will ever be. And the idea that in the movie he’s my sidekick, that instantly felt wrong and that was exactly what we needed. We needed to show that when you see the two of us, it’s clear that he should be the guy in charge and not me. That’s really what Jay had. We were funny together. That was the idea — we have such different energies. He’s very quiet and low-key and I get very excited and loud.” Different take Michel added, “We saw Jay in action, fighting and he had an attitude that was like boyish and not affected, an honesty that we really liked and I thought he would be great for Kato. It was difficult for an actor to take on this part because of Bruce Lee’s legacy, especially for Asian actors — they don’t want to ruin it and to be compared. Jay wanted to have a completely different take. He didn’t want anyone to think he was trying to imitate Bruce Lee.”We asked Seth how they dealt with the white boss-Asian sidekick stereotype issue — after all we’re in the 21st century. Seth answered, “A big part of where we got this idea for the movie was because of how outdated that relationship was. There was never any acknowledgment that Kato was the one who did most of the stuff. The Green Hornet got most of the credit. We had to acknowledge all these things that most people don’t even realize — what a disadvantage Kato’s character is being put in from a literary standpoint. So we really had to update all that. The whole point of the movie is that we deserve equal credit.” ============================================================== Float Like a Franchise, Sting Like a ... New York Times By FRANZ LIDZ Published: January 7, 2011 http://0rz.tw/AUXhI   節錄杰倫相關部份 Kato too was endlessly vamped and revamped. “We wrote him old and young and everything in between,” Mr. Rogen said. “About the only Kato we skipped was Kato Kaelin.” The casting of the Taiwanese pop singer Jay Chou prompted more unease. The studio was accused in the blogosphere of bypassing Asian-American actors in a brazen attempt to capture overseas markets. The film’s producer, Neal H. Moritz, said he was concerned about Mr. Chou’s lack of fluency in English. “I worried,” he said. By the time filming began, he had concluded that Mr. Chou’s struggles with the language made his Kato endearing. -- ※ 發信站: 批踢踢實業坊(ptt.cc) ◆ From: 122.120.238.3 ※ 編輯: orange7186 來自: 122.120.238.3 (01/09 02:51)
文章代碼(AID): #1DAAx_rs (Jay)
文章代碼(AID): #1DAAx_rs (Jay)