Re: [新槍] Ron Thal的訪談~

看板GunsNRoses作者 (幹譙系金屬人)時間14年前 (2010/02/09 09:15), 編輯推噓9(902)
留言11則, 10人參與, 最新討論串2/3 (看更多)
※ 引述《AnthonyL (阿牛)》之銘言: 粗略翻 非逐字 as title.... Robert Gray of Ultimate-Guitar.com recently conducted an interview with GUNS N' ROSES guitarist Ron "Bumblefoot" Thal. A couple of excerpts from the chat follow below. Ultimate-Guitar.com: "Chinese Democracy" has been available to purchase since November 2008, so now you've had time to fully digest the album and everything, what is your view on it? Thal: My view on "Chinese Democracy"? Well, first, I think it's so different from the music that the band started with. To me, it's like comparing "The White Album" (1968) to "Meet the Beatles!" (1964). I always think of everything in terms of THE BEATLES, because I'm just a big BEATLES fanatic. To me, "Appetite For Destruction" came out, and that was everything up until "A Hard Day's Night" (1964) — it was the thing that just blew everyone away. Shea Stadium, 1965, couldn't even hear the band; it was just the audience screaming, and pissing in their pants. As they then started getting more into the musical side of things with the "Use Your Illusion" albums, that is equivalent to getting more into "Revolver" (1966) and "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" (1967), where it was becoming more musical. It wasn't just attitude and rock 'n' roll — they were starting to really compose. Now THE BEATLES, they kept on putting albums out and you can chart the changes as the band morphed into what they became in their last few years, with "The White Album", "Let It Be" (1970), "Abbey Road" (1969). Ron認為中國民主給他的第一印象就是跟以往的槍花大相逕庭 拿Beatles當比喻就是前期傻氣情歌跟後期迷幻的差別 之所以會拿Beatles當比喻是因為他超愛Beatles The thing about GUNS N' ROSES is it all happened in a cocoon, where it went in as one creature and came out as something totally different. I think that because of that, when "Chinese Democracy" came out, people thought "That's not the caterpillar I was expecting". It was like "Right. It's a butterfly". I think it took probably a good year (laughs) for people to start forgetting about the baggage that was attached to this album, like the issue that it's not the same band members, it's not all the same band members that wrote and played on it, and that it's not the same sounding music. GUNS N' ROSES is a different creature now, but that's what makes it special. Where else in the history of rock music are you gonna find an album that has a decade of all these different people contributing all this cool stuff? Robin, and Paul, and Brain, and Buckethead, and me and Frank, and Tommy and Richard, and Dizzy and Pitman, and Sebastian Bach too. Nowhere are you gonna find an album that has such a history to it, and that has accumulated so many building blocks from such a long journey. 中國民主剛推出時,人們一定會幹譙團員不是老槍啦,音樂跟以前不一樣啦 但槍花已經是個全新的組合,這就是為什麼槍花這麼特別,這張專輯集合多 多人心血花了這麼多時間根本就是酷斃了,你找不到其他專輯像這張這麼有 "歷史",也找不到任何一張專輯遇到這麼多障礙 To me, "Chinese Democracy" isn't your typical album where you write it, record it, release it, promote it, and tour. This is a totally different creature, and I think a lot of people needed a minute to realize that for it to sink in, and to stop trying to fit it into the mould of a typical album because it's not a typical album. It's so much more experimental, and it's just a totally different thing. To me, "Chinese Democracy" is "The White Album" for GN'R, in a way. Maybe I'm wrong, but to me it seems like the album is more accepted now than it was when it first came out, and that over time, people are gonna forget about the journey that it took to come out, and they're just gonna listen to the songs and the music and just take them as they are. Either they like them or they don't. 對我來說中國民主不是那種寫了錄了發行了賣了巡迴一下那種專輯 大家需要一點時間去理解別再拘泥那些細節,因為他就不是一般的專輯 他很不一樣,也帶點實驗性,中國民主之於槍花就像白碟之於披頭四 人們需要的就是忘記那些狗屁然後靜下來聽這些歌,就歌論歌,別扯新舊槍 不管到底喜不喜歡 I found as we played these shows in Asia, that people are really responding to the new songs. I didn't know how people would react, because you know that they're gonna cheer like crazy for "Welcome to the Jungle", for "Paradise City", for "Sweet Child O' Mine", for "Nightrain", but now they're cheering for "Street Of Dreams", and for "Better", and for "Prostitute" (laughs). When the song kicks in, they know what song it is and they burst out, and it's good to see. I'm glad that that's happening, and I hope that in time, when this is all just history and people are looking back on it, that people will appreciate this one of a kind fucking genuine experience that brought this album to be what it is. For me, how do I think of the album? I just think of it as this long road that finally reached its destination. It's like driving a very long drive, and finally getting there (laughs). 在亞洲巡迴時觀眾都對新歌有反應,我一開始是不知道觀眾會怎樣啦, 因為只要表演那些名曲觀眾就會起笑,但就算我們彈新歌,他們都知道 那是啥還會爆發大合唱,我很開心。我怎麼看這張專輯?就是走了一大 堆路中於到達目的地。 Ultimate-Guitar.com: Do you feel "Chinese Democracy" was unfairly criticized? Thal: I think that people definitely judged "Chinese Democracy" without listening to it a lot of the time, and I think they based their ideas on what they thought of GN'R's current situation, or on their opinion of Axl and things like that. I think that definitely biased some people, but not all. I think with any album, people are gonna love it, people are gonna hate it, and some people will just be indifferent, and it won't mean anything either way. With the amount of expectation for the album though, I think that it definitely changed the way people viewed it, and they went into listening to it with ideas already in their heads. It's hard not to with an album that took longer than usual to be released, but then sometimes albums take time. 奧特曼吉他達康:你覺得這張專輯是不是受到不公平的批評? Ron:我覺得很多人聽了一點點就直接放砲,不然就是看Axl不爽 每張專輯都有人喜歡跟討厭,無差啦,等太久了總是會有人覺得 跟期待不符,都帶著既有印象去聽了嘛 (後面抓不太到他確切意思) Ultimate-Guitar.com: Do you feel that some hoped for "Appetite For Destruction Part Two"? 問:你覺得有人期待你們出毀滅欲第二嗎 Thal: I'm sure there were those expecting that, yeah, but again, they were expecting the caterpillar and not the butterfly — the whole cocoon thing. It's like where THE BEATLES became long haired, screaming hippie dudes, but people were still expecting the mop tops to come out, and go "WOOOOoooo". People just continued where they left off with it, so if they left off at "A Hard Day's Night", they're expecting "Beatles For Sale" (1964) next. Ron:有,反正他們想要的是毛毛蟲不是蝴蝶嘛(這句好酸) 就像披頭四變成長髮嬉皮後人們還是想要他們蘑菇頭 Ultimate-Guitar.com: Have you had an opportunity to contribute to GUNS N' ROSES on a songwriting level yet? 問:你有機會幫槍花寫歌了嗎 Thal: Not yet. I have a whole bunch of ideas — we all do. But before thinking about the next album, I just wanna get the fuck out there and just focus on this one, the touring, and whatever kind of promotion there might be. Ron:還沒,但我點子多到爆炸,我們都是,但在思考下張專輯之前 我只想專心巡迴 Ultimate-Guitar.com: But having said that, do you feel fans can expect future GUNS N' ROSES albums? 問:那你覺得槍花迷能夠期待下張專輯嗎 Thal: You never know what's gonna happen, and the thing about GN'R is just when you think you know what direction the storm is moving in, it does a 180° and just defies nature (laughs). You can never predict. I would love to get this band into the studio, and just bust out shitloads of music, and just keep putting it out. It's all about being prolific; if you're a music maker, you got to go out and make music, and that's my love anyway. I love the studio more than anything, and I would love to get in the studio, and really write together from scratch — not add my own parts to pre-existing songs, but just play them from the beginning. There was one time in the studio where I was talking to Frank, and I said "Right, time me. Two minutes. Let's see how many songs I can come up with in two minutes for the next album", which was six really cool riffs and things, and ideas and so on. We could definitely do it. I guess it's just a question of: does it feel right? Are all the planets aligned? You know what I mean? It's whether it feels like the right thing to do. We'll see, but I would love it. I think it would be a blast, and I think that we can easily bust out some really good music that people would enjoy. I would love to do it. Ron:你不知道未來什麼會發生啦,我很願意跟他們進錄音室 做一大堆音樂然後推出,不只是彈我的部分,而是從前 奏就愛,有一次我對鼓手說,幫我計時,看看我在兩分 鐘內能想出多少下張專輯的歌,然後6個酷斃了的吉他 riff就出來了,我們絕對可以。我們能做出能讓人們滿 意的好音樂。 Ultimate-Guitar.com: What is it like to work with Axl Rose? You obviously have those who comment on forums, thinking they know everything, saying "Axl acts like this" and all that rubbish. But what is it actually like to work with the man? 問:跟艾叔一起工作感覺怎樣? Thal: All the people that don't know anything are the ones who do all the talking (laughs). They try to fool everyone into thinking that they have an idea about how things are. It's like working with anyone else — it's fine. It's just normal, at least to me. It's just pretty normal, and the funny thing is if I say something positive, the response to that from the sceptics is "Oh, he's getting paid to say that." (laughs) One thing I've realized is there's no truth in this; it's only entertainment, and people believe what entertains them the most. Truth is irrelevant; I can tell the truth, and if it's not entertaining enough, people will call you a liar. The truth, as boring as it is, is that it's fine. Since I've joined the group, we immediately went on tour, and we finished recording "Chinese Democracy", and the album came out. That's it. 不知道的人往往說最多話(也是很酸),他們就是想愚弄大家好像他們什麼都懂 就像跟其他人工作一樣,跟艾叔一切都很好,很正常,很有趣,很正向。一定 會有人說艾叔塞錢給我叫我這樣說,我知道的就是論壇沒有真相,那只是拿來 說嘴娛樂的,但人們相信了,真相通常都很無聊。我一加入槍花就跑巡迴了 然後我們錄好中國民主然後推出,就這樣 Ultimate-Guitar.com: So, basically then, you feel that there are lot of misunderstandings out there? 問:所以你覺得很多都是誤解了? Thal: Well, the thing is people believe what entertains them, and that's what it is. I remember one time me and my wife were at some party, and some guy followed me and my wife around for an hour and a half, asking us questions to the backs of our heads. All these stupid things he asked, like saying to my wife "Do you have to drive in a separate car behind the tour bus like in that movie 'Rock Star'?", stupid things like that. We just laughed at the guy, but I think he was serious. People just want to be entertained, and that's what it is. Truth doesn't matter, because what's entertaining is what people are gonna gravitate towards. 人們只相信能娛樂他們的,就這樣,就像有人問我老婆她是不是像電影搖滾巨星 那樣開著車跟在巡迴巴士後,像那樣的蠢事。人們就是想被娛樂嘛,真相不太重要 Ultimate-Guitar.com: Some disgruntled GUNS N' ROSES fans make the comment that the group's current lineup isn't GUNS N' ROSES, but is actually Axl Rose's solo project. What is your response to that? 我累了先翻到這 Thal: They're right in their own mind if it isn't GUNS N' ROSES as they define GUNS N' ROSES. If you don't like calling it GUNS N' ROSES, call it GN'R, and if that makes you feel better, then good. That's what I like to call it — GN'R. If you feel GUNS N' ROSES is so strongly defined by the members that were on its debut album, fine, call this GN'R and find something else to cry about — something worthwhile. There's bigger problems in the world than what a band is calling itself. Jesus, it's fucking rock 'n' roll. We're just going out there, playing, and having a good time. Call it GN'R and enjoy it, that's all. That's my suggestion if the name's really a problem for anyone — if you wanna listen to GUNS N' ROSES, put on the "Appetite" album, be happy, and if you wanna listen to GN'R, put on "Chinese Democracy" and come to a show. Ultimate-Guitar.com: So basically then, what you're saying is the following: contrary to what some people say, whatever you call this band, it's still a band? Thal: Yeah. It has people that have been in the band for... I mean, Dizzy has been in the band for a good eighteen fucking years or so, going on nineteen years, and Tommy's been in for.. What? How long now? Eleven years is it? Or ten years? I don't know — I lose track. But you have people that have been there for a very long time, that have written songs, that have recorded songs, and have toured, people that have done everything a band does. Again, it's about entertainment and perception, not truth. The truth is it's a band, just like many other bands that write and record and tour, but if people don't wanna see that, it doesn't change what we are. It just changes how they look at it, and that's fine. It doesn't make any difference, because we're still a band going on tour, promoting the album of songs we wrote and recorded. Read more from Ultimate-Guitar.com. 網址: http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.Net/news.aspx?mode=Article& newsitemID=134666 縮網: http://0rz.tw/7DJAO 完整訪談: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/interviews/hit_the_lights/ bumblefoot_chinese_democracy_is_gnrs_white_album_the_beatles.html 縮網: http://0rz.tw/wDKnL 其實我還蠻認同Ron "Bumblefoot" Thal的說法。 真的很多人沒有好好的聽過Chinese Democracy專輯。 不過他用The Beatles的專輯來比喻Guns N' Roses的專輯還蠻妙的。 訪問的人問到了很多人覺得現在的GN'R是Axl的Side Project,問了Ron Thal的看法, 他的回答真的很棒!感覺就像是舊槍迷把舊槍當作一種圖騰了。 我真的覺得Axl Rose找他來真的很棒。 他的訪談立論很好,完全的表達了目前Guns N' Roses的狀態。 我現在更想知道Axl Rose的看法了。:p -- I've got to keep breathing. Because tomorrow, the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring? -- ※ 發信站: 批踢踢實業坊(ptt.cc) ◆ From: 203.72.59.238

02/08 10:03,
請求翻譯蒟蒻 m(__ __)m
02/08 10:03

02/08 10:21,
不過外國鄉民還是一樣,很多都說現在的槍是Fake
02/08 10:21

02/08 10:21,
某種程度也是自我感覺特別好~
02/08 10:21

02/08 20:48,
"喔!他是拿了錢才這樣說啦!" XDDD Bumblefoot真的很
02/08 20:48