[外電] Wallace shows he won't dodge team's …

看板Grizzlies作者 ( )時間16年前 (2007/09/20 22:49), 編輯推噓4(400)
留言4則, 4人參與, 最新討論串1/1
Imagine Grizzlies general manager Chris Wallace accepting an invitation to play dodgeball. 想像灰熊隊總裁Chris Wallace在打躲避球的畫面 Well, Wallace did just that. 呃, 沒錯, 他真的去打了(xD) When a local community group extended the invitation, Wallace soon found himself happily taking a few flagrant fouls for the Grizzlies. 當他接受了當地社區團體的邀請(戰帖?), Wallace發現躲避球蠻好玩的, 尤其是犯了 幾次規之後(?) "It was painful," Wallace said, smiling. "I haven't played since grade school. And these were very serious dodgeball players. There were a couple of times I was the last guy standing, and they didn't hold back." "呼~真的很累" Wallace笑笑的說."自從我小學之後就沒再打過躲避球了, 並且他們有幾 個人真的很認真. 有幾次我發現隊中只剩我一個人還活著, 他們還不會體諒老人!" Fitting. (不會翻orz..) If there is one thing people should know about the man who replaced Jerry West as the basketball decision-maker for the Grizzlies, it's this: Chris Wallace, so far, is much like a dodgeball. 大家現在應該知道, Chris Wallace取代了West爺爺成為灰熊隊中的決策人物. 但是到現在, Chris Wallace比較像是一顆躲避球. He has made a habit of flinging himself all over town, and he's striking a marketing mark with impressive accuracy. 他已經習慣在Memphis市裡趴趴走, 並且他努力讓自己的形象代表灰熊隊. Only Wallace isn't dodging much when an opportunity to promote the Grizzlies presents itself. 當有機會可以提高灰熊隊的曝光率的時候, Wallace都不會放過. From a schoolyard recreational activity (one that would be beneath many professional basketball executives) to chamber and rotary club meetings to his keynote address Wednesday during a Memphis Athletics Ministries luncheon, Wallace isn't holding back. 從室外的的休閒活動(比棒球低一層級的休閒?)到室內, 扶輪社的會面到他在Memphis Athletics Ministries luncheon的演講, Wallace都沒有放過. And, as Wallace puts it: The Grizzlies can't afford to. 並且Wallace表示: 灰熊隊不能沒有球迷. "Without fans," he said, "we're not working." "沒有球迷支持的話, 我們就不能算是一支球隊" In short, Wallace has been on a mission to promote the Grizzlies and thank the community for its support. 總而言之, Wallace的任務是拓展球迷, 並且感謝當地社區的支持. He's trying to keep old fans and enlist new ones, as well. 他試著留住死忠的球迷, 並且多找些熱血的新灰熊迷. It's not an easy sell. 不過事情沒那麼簡單. Still, he has shown a commitment that can be best characterized as easy-going, energetic and, occasionally, unconventional. 他依舊展現了他的隨合, 活力的個性跟突然, 不依慣例的作風在他的工作上. Take last Friday afternoon, for instance. 拿上禮拜五下午發生的事當個例子. Wallace received and accepted an invitation to hang out with a group of Grizzlies fans who regularly blog and participate on the team's message board. He met for more than two hours with the fans at Buffalo Wild Wings, something that earned Wallace national praise on an ESPN.com blog, Truehoop.com. Wallace接受了一群常常在網路Blog以及球隊討論區裡發表意見的灰熊迷的邀請. 他跟這些球迷在Buffalo Wild Wings裡聊了超過兩小時, 這讓他在ESPN.com的Blog 以及Truehoop.com被誇獎. Needless to say, the fanatics were surprised, thrilled and overwhelmed by Wallace's presence. 不用說, 那些熱血的灰熊迷都快被Wallace的出現嚇死了!! Just another day at the office, according to Wallace. 過幾天, Wallace在他的辦公室裡說: "I didn't have anything scheduled, so I went and met them and had a great time with those guys," Wallace said. "They were very enthusiastic and avid supporters of the Grizzlies and NBA basketball. I really appreciate that. Those are already our fans. They buy tickets. They spend time on the message boards. They're there. So you can't ignore those guys. I had a great time." "我那時候沒有行程, 所以我就去那邊跟他們聊聊天, 還蠻好玩的" "他們很狂熱並且也是 對灰熊以及NBA的熱心支持者. 我很感謝他們的支持. 他們真的是灰熊迷!! 他們買票進場 看球幫球隊加油, 在網路上發表意見. 他們一直支持著我們, 所以你不能忽略他們." The irony is that Wallace met with people from a message board that was critical of his hiring. Wallace readily admits that while he's accessible, reading message boards isn't on his to-do list. 不過諷刺的是, Wallace是跟一群在網路上批評雇用他的人見面. Wallace很快地承認當他 有空時, 他不會去閱讀網路上的文章. "I'm probably better off with not reading what those guys post," he said with a hearty laugh. Wallace笑著說:"我想不去看他們貼的文章對我比較好"(xD) Wallace, though, is adamant about what it means to be fan-friendly -- accepting the good with the bad. 但Wallace堅持要當一個對球迷友善的人, 並接受球迷對他的好, 對他的壞. "I was a fan before I was a basketball professional, and I'll be a fan after they pull me off the stage in the NBA," he said. "I understand what a fan makes in terms of the time involved, the emotion and the money." "當我進入職業籃球界時我也是個球迷, 如果我離開了NBA, 我還會繼續做一個球迷" "我了解每個球迷在對球隊的參與所花的時間, 情緒以及金錢." Asked if he considers himself somewhat like Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban, Wallace responded by pointing out the biggest difference. 當被問到他是否認為自己像小牛隊老闆Mark Cuban這類人的時候, Wallace指出了他 跟Cuban之間最大的不同. "My bank account isn't the same as his," he said before acknowledging that Cuban's marketing strategy isn't something to laugh at. "Mark Cuban had a great observation. You have to find what turns every individual fan on in the arena. "我的錢沒他那麼多.." 他在承認Cuban的市場行銷策略很成功之前先說了這句話. "Cuban的觀察很敏銳. 你必須找到會讓球迷進場看球的動力." "There's never been greater competition for the entertainment dollar. You can sit at home and watch a hundred channels without fighting the parking or crowds. There's the Internet, and kids today are growing up in many ways without that deep connection to sports teams that my generation had. So you can't take the philosophy of 'Build it and they will come.' "在這塊領域裡, 從來沒有競爭那麼激烈的時候. 現在你可以坐在家裡看著上百種頻道而 不用去搶停車位並且跟其他觀眾擠來擠去. 跟我那時代不同, 現在有網路, 孩子們現在 對運動也沒有很深的支持. 所以你不能有守株待兔的想法." "It's a one-by-one retail promotional effort because we've got to get this arena rocking this year. We need a home-court advantage like Sacramento has. We need that type of atmosphere. People in this town want to meet you, they want to spend time with you and they want to see you out in the community. And I love doing that anyway. It's not a great effort because I'm from a smaller place." "必須要努力的對每個人宣傳, 因為我們要讓今年球季有個新的面貌. 我們需要像國王隊 那類的主場優勢. 我們需要那種氣氛. 這座城市裡的人想要見你, 他們想跟你在社區裡 談些球隊的事. 我很喜歡這樣. 因為我從一個小城市長大的, 所以我想有主場優勢很 重要." Wallace hails from Buckhannon, W.Va., a town of about 8,000 people. So when asked why the Griz are holding block parties only in Germantown, Cordova and Collierville this week, Wallace said those sites are just the beginning of an intense effort to win back fans. Wallace來自Buckhannon, W.Va. 一個大約有八千人的小鎮. 所以當被問到為何灰熊這禮 拜只在Germantown, Cordova跟Collierville舉行街區舞會時, Wallace說: "那些地方是 找回球迷的開頭而已." "We're starting east and working our way toward the city on the promotional aspect," Wallace said. "There will be other block parties inside I-240. There will be a multitude of events around town throughout the course of the season." "我們從Memphis的東方開始並且試著在城內增加一些球迷." "在I-240內將有別的街區 舞會. 在球季中城內會有很多活動." Wallace hasn't traveled outside Memphis since Aug. 6, when he officially moved to town. He even canceled plans to travel to watch Pau Gasol, Juan Carlos Navarro and Darko Milicic compete in the European Championships, in part to participate in the Southern Heritage Classic. 自從八月六號搬到Memphis之後, Wallace還沒出過Memphis. 他為了要參加Southern Heritage Classic, 他甚至取消了去歐錦賽看Gasol, Navarro跟小米立的比賽. "We had a great time at the Southern Heritage Classic," Wallace said. "Fred Jones does a great job with the events he puts on." "Southern Heritage Classic很好玩!! " "Fred Jones(1)辦的活動很好." (根據http://www.fedex.com/us/sports/shc/上的資料, 在這指的應該不是 NBA灌籃大賽冠軍Fred Jones, 裡面也有介紹SHC.) As much as he has participated in local events, be on the lookout for a Wallace-inspired production soon. 當他參與過那麼多當地的活動, 他密切注意著被他影響過後的產物. He has placed a large order for Grizzlies basketball nets and plans to go door-to-door, pulling his vehicle into driveways with a basketball goal and offering families a net for the chance to talk about the Grizzlies. 他買了很多有灰熊標制的籃網(?), 並且計畫挨家挨戶去推銷, 把他的灰熊車子停在馬路 上, 為的只是要大家多談論點灰熊隊的事情. (這段的nets有點不懂, 一開始把他想做籃框, 但也說不通, 盼高手解惑.) "The beauty of it is that it's simplistic," Wallace said. "And you can touch all neighborhoods with that. Just stop as you're driving around." "這件事美好的地方在於他被過度簡單." "並且你能接觸到你所有的鄰居. 停下來的效果 跟到處趴趴走一樣." (依舊有點不懂simplistic) Wallace admits that he's inspired by University of Memphis basketball coach John Calipari's efforts around town. Wallace也說他承認Memphis大學籃球隊教練John Calipari在城裡的影響使他找到靈感. "I thought I've seen some great promoters in sports, but he's as good as I've ever seen," Wallace said. "He's very creative and energetic." "我想我看過一些很好的促銷手法, 但他的影響力我從沒看過." "他很有創造力, 也很有活力" With all due respect to West, this clearly is a warmer and fuzzier Grizzly executive. 跟之前備受尊敬的West爺爺相比, Wallace是一個比較強烈且熱情的總裁. None of the team's past basketball executives committed to making regular radio appearances on multiple sports talk stations. Wallace already has. 球隊過去從來沒有總裁會經常上多樣式的運動談話電台, 但Wallace已經去過了. "I like that fans can call in and chat with us," Wallace said. "It's nice to hear what's on their minds and have a connection with the fans. ... We've got to connect with the fans -- service the ones we have and make new ones." "我喜歡球迷打電話進來聊天." "能夠聽到他們的心聲是好的, 並且也可以跟球迷之間 聯繫...我們正在跟球迷們連接 - 招待原有的灰熊迷並繼續拓展球迷." There won't be many new fans to court if Wallace keeps up this pace. 但如果Wallace以這樣腳步進行的話, 球場上還是看不到太多新球迷. (???) "You get two or more people, and I'm there," Wallace said. "I'll go just about anywhere if I've got the time." "只要哪裡有球迷, 我就會去哪裡." "只要有時間的話, 我就去有球迷的地方." 有段時間沒翻了 這篇翻的也不是很有把握 有些地方需要大家幫忙改錯 也希望大家不要嫌棄阿xD -- T A █◣◢█ ╮ ╭═╮ ╭◢█ ◣ ◢█ ═╮ T A h n ████ ╰══╯╰══════╯█▌ █ ██ h n e s ████ ◢█◣◥█◣ ◢█◣ █ █ e s w █◥◤█ █▌█ █ █▌█ ◢ ◤ █ ║ w e ◥ ◤ ◥█◤ ◤ ◥█◤ ◢◤ ▄ █ e r 3 ╰══ Fear is the heart of love! ██ █ ███ r 3 -- ※ 發信站: 批踢踢實業坊(ptt.cc) ◆ From: 59.113.155.94

09/21 00:53, , 1F
推呀~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~我們板好缺水呀
09/21 00:53, 1F

09/21 01:35, , 2F
灌水灌水~~~~
09/21 01:35, 2F

09/21 13:44, , 3F
外電推~
09/21 13:44, 3F

09/21 17:12, , 4F
推!! 好久沒文了XD
09/21 17:12, 4F