Journaling for a flaky FreeBSD VirtualBox guest.

看板FB_questions作者時間11年前 (2013/04/27 14:01), 編輯推噓0(000)
留言0則, 0人參與, 最新討論串1/3 (看更多)
I'm getting to know FreeBSD by running a 64-bit FreeBSD guest in a VirtualBox machine on my OS X Mountain Lion laptop. On occasion, when waking up from sleep, the FreeBSD virtual machine will not restart. VirtualBox marks it as "Aborted." When I restart FreeBSD, I've found on a number of occasions that the `.git` directory of the project I was working on when my laptop went to sleep has become corrupted. `git` won't recognize the directory. I try to rebuild the repository with `git fsck`, but it's usually broken. My `.zsh_history` file has been corrupted at restart, which I've recovered by removing the last line which contains binary nonsense. I run a Linux guest that suffers the same abuse, but does not lose data. My question: If anyone runs FreeBSD in VirtualBox, what VirtualBox settings do you use so that UFS will work correctly and recover recent writes? I'm using UFS built by the install media. % mount /dev/ada0p2 on / (ufs, local, journaled soft-updates) devfs on /dev (devfs, local, multilabel) I'm using the disk and disk controller setup that VirtualBox suggested when when I told it I was building a FreeBSD machine. A single IDE drive on an IDE controller with "Use host I/O cache enabled." The VirtualBox documentation says that a virtual SATA controller is preferred if you choose to uncheck "Use host I/O cache enabled." http://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch05.html#iocaching So... * How should I configure my filesystem for maximum durability, since the VirtualBox virtual drives appear to be flaky? * Does anyone run a similar setup, FreeBSD guest on MacBook host? If you're experience is trouble-free, then what virtual controller do you use? Do you enable host I/O caching? What file system are you running in FreeBSD? -- Alan Gutierrez ~ @bigeasy _______________________________________________ freebsd-questions@freebsd.org mailing list http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-questions To unsubscribe, send any mail to "freebsd-questions-unsubscribe@freebsd.org"
文章代碼(AID): #1HUsdCBk (FB_questions)
文章代碼(AID): #1HUsdCBk (FB_questions)