Re: [文法] can be of xxxx

看板Eng-Class作者 (零食)時間13年前 (2011/04/18 07:42), 編輯推噓1(100)
留言1則, 1人參與, 最新討論串3/3 (看更多)
: ※ 引述《sean72 (.)》之銘言: : : 標題: [文法] can be of xxxx : : the directory can be of variable size. : : 請問這個of是什麼意思 : : 感覺這是一個倒裝過之後的句子 : : 請問還原之後應該怎麼寫才對呢 : : -- : : → pierse:這不是倒裝 就是of+名詞=形容詞的用法 04/11 14:39 : : → sean72:意思是說: directory是一個大小可變的東西 對嗎? 04/11 15:34 : : → alixia:應該是說size有大有小 04/14 01:16 : 那為什麼不直接寫 : the directory can be variable size 就好了呢? "to be of" 有兩種用法,屬較正式的句型。 "to be of" 有 have (the characteristic of) 的意思,後面接的是抽象名詞。 ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- 例句: 1.) This research project is of great worth. = This research project has great worth. 2.) Many scholars are of different ideas. = Many scholars have different ideas. 3.) We are not just selling cheap food but we also make sure the food is of good quality. = We are not just selling cheap food but we also make sure the food has good quality. worth 與 quality (level of excellence) 皆為不可數名詞,故不用加冠詞。 ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- 要注意的是這種句法只能使用於抽象的名詞前。 所以不能說 "Jame is of a car." 或 "He is of a lot of money." 此句型還有另一種用法: "to be of" 接抽象名詞 = "to be" 接形容詞。 ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- 1.) to be of importance = to be important 2.) to be of significance = to be significant 3.) to be of consequence = to be consequential 4.) to be of interest = to be interesting 5.) to be of assistance = to be helpful ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- 例句: 1.) The SDNPA may consider not to be of significance to National Park purposes. = The SDNPA may consider not to be significant to National Park purposes. 2.) This is of interest to all classic car enthusiasts. = This is interesting to all classic car enthusiasts. 3.) Please let me know if I can be of any help in this process. = Please let me know if I can be helpful in this process. ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- 而原PO所提供的句子可應用於兩種用法: The directory can be of variable size. = The directory can have variable size. = The directory can be variable-sized. 三句的意義是完全相同的。 -- ※ 發信站: 批踢踢實業坊(ptt.cc) ◆ From: 98.216.106.63 ※ 編輯: habodaha 來自: 98.216.106.63 (04/18 09:08)

04/18 17:46, , 1F
推 長知識
04/18 17:46, 1F
文章代碼(AID): #1DgthVLW (Eng-Class)
討論串 (同標題文章)
文章代碼(AID): #1DgthVLW (Eng-Class)