20180511已刪文

看板Diary作者 (麥根沙士比亞)時間6年前 (2018/05/11 22:17), 6年前編輯推噓0(000)
留言0則, 0人參與, 最新討論串2/3 (看更多)
Dear Diary, I was watching Ex Machina in my Literature and Film course. At the first moment, I was attracted to the title of the movie because it is actually a literary term that I know. It derives from Latin- deus ex machina, literally meaning god from the machine, which is an approach in drama or film to have a character to solve a difficult problem. For instance, the eagles in the Hobbit. This movie is all about androids or "gynoid" since all of them are female. It starts with the promotion of the male protagonist, Caleb. Well, maybe it's not promotion. Anyway, he is chosen by his boss, Nathan, to do Turing Test for a female android called Ava. In case that you know nothing about Turing Test, it's a test proposed by Alan Turing. Basically, if the judge cannot tell whether the one she/he talks to is a machine or not, the machine passes the test. That is, it's intelligent enough. In this film, Nathan is said to be a man like Mozart. He knows a lot about programming when he was 13(? if my memory does not fail me. Gotta be blunt, he doesn't look like a genius or prodify at all. So, I think it's completely a false comparison. No offense. He just doesn't have the quality Tom Hanks displays in The Circle. Anyway, when Caleb and Ava ask questions and spend their time every day, it seems that there is a embryonic romantic relationship between them. Ava is of no doubt, a very brilliant and talented android. She definitely knows how to make conversation, in other words, she is socially capable. On top of that, she has a gift for drawing. She makes a sketch of Caleb, our parent-bereaved, socially inept, and girlfriend-desiring main character. Yet, he is trapped. Ava is just an android designed to make Caleb fall for her. Like Wallace says the affection between Rick and Rachel is merely mathematically precision. Man, you could really find many similarities in these two films. So, Nathan wants to test whether Ava has the ability to use her intelligence to escape from the laboratory as Nathan describes Ava is the mouse in the maze. Like he has anticipated, Ava utilizes the feelings Caleb has for her to run away, and locks Caleb in the lab. Let's talk about some themes in the film. First, Ava's name. It simply occurs to people who know about the Bible because in the Scripture, the first female is Eve, who comes from the rib of Adam. Here, Ava turns out to be the first intelligent female android. Second, the relationship between humans and androids. In the movie, we clearly spot that there is a scene Kyoto has sex with her creator Nathan. Why? It's evident that she is probably made for pleasure. Well, to be explicit, she is a sex model. Also, she does not have voice. Why? My professor says that it might refer to a myth some European will have. Sometimes, they tend to consider Asian women to be submissive wives. Third, art. Moviemakers really like depicting androids have artistic qualities. In Blade Runner, Roy is poetic at the end, Pris is capable of dancing, Rachael is able to play the piano. In the original novel, Luba Luft even sings remarkably, that makes Rick believe that she has a soul. Actually, there're several things to talk about, but I kinda want to stop here. -- Recently, I'm troubled by my sore throat. It kills me. Hope that I'll get well before my oral presentation on Jane Eyre, the last work in my novel class this semester. -- "Never say never, because limits, like fears, are often just an illusion." -- ※ 發信站: 批踢踢實業坊(ptt.cc), 來自: 1.168.13.168 ※ 文章網址: https://www.ptt.cc/bbs/Diary/M.1526048274.A.5B4.html ※ 編輯: ArtisChz (1.168.6.100), 05/12/2018 22:24:36
文章代碼(AID): #1QzQOIMq (Diary)
討論串 (同標題文章)
文章代碼(AID): #1QzQOIMq (Diary)