[話題] A Feast of Hatred 仇恨的盛宴

看板lesbian作者 (關於女人和自己。)時間10年前 (2013/12/02 04:21), 編輯推噓13(1300)
留言13則, 13人參與, 最新討論串1/1
前Taipei Times記者J. Michael Cole 寇謐將在護家盟遊行中的貼身觀察 原文出處 http://ppt.cc/Yho1 -- Once again, opponents ofsame-sex marriage demonstrated that bigotry and intolerance, lies and hatred,are the foundations of their beliefs 再一次地,反同性婚姻者向我們展現:他們的信念是基於盲從、不寬容、謊言、與仇恨。 After several weeks of buildup,the groups who oppose same sex-marriage in Taiwandescended by the busload on Taipeitoday for a large protest as the government mulls legal revisions that wouldmake same-sex unions possible. Based on the language that had been used todate, I expected bigotry — and they certainly delivered. In fact, in terms ofthe magnitude of their intolerance, they showed their true colors. 在醞釀了數個星期之後,反同志婚姻團體包遊覽車集結於台北,因為政府可能通過使同志 婚姻合法化的修正案。從迄今為止的用詞中,我想我會看到「盲從」這回事,而他們也真 的辦到了。事實上,從他們巨大的不寬容中,他們秀出了他們的真面目。 Opponents of same-sex marriage gather on Ketagalan 反同志婚姻者集結於凱達格蘭 大道 According to the organizers, asmany as 350,000 people (though probably less) turned up for the event, whichwas intended as a means to pressure the legislature not to amend Article 972 ofthe Civil Code, which would open the door to same-sex marriage. Pink was thecolor theme for the event. There was a variety of placards, many reading “Madein Mommy and Daddy” or “All Kids Need Daddy and Mommy,” among others (I haveone dad and three moms, and they all love me; how about that, lady?).Apparently the organizers failed to realize that pink was the very color usedby the Nazis — the infamous “pink triangle” — to identify homosexuals.(According to the Holocaust Encyclopedia, the Gestapo arrested as many as100,000 men as homosexuals between 1933 and 1945. About 50,000 men were sent toregular prison, while between 5,000 and 15,000 were interned in concentrationcamps.) One of the protesters even turned up wearing a complete Nazi uniform.“I don’t care if people don’t like it,” he said. “I will fight back.” To be fairto the Nazis (I can’t believe I’m saying this!), I would say that many of thehaters who came out today were more a mix of Nazis and the KKK. 據主辦單位指出,約三十五萬(可能少於此數目)的群眾出席了這次活動,以向政府施壓不 要通過民法972條的修正案。該修正案將開啟同志婚姻之門。粉紅色是這次活動的主題色 。會場有許多標語看板,許多寫著諸如「爸媽製造」或「所有孩子都需要爸媽」的標語 ( 我有一個爸爸和三個媽媽,他們都愛我。那你怎麼說,女士?) 顯然主辦者不知道粉紅色 是納粹用來標示同志的顏色(鼎鼎大名的粉紅三角)。 (根據美國大屠殺紀念館*的資料, 德國祕密警察在1933至1945年間逮捕了十萬名男同志,其中五萬人被送往普通監獄,五千 至一萬五千人被拘禁在集中營。)其中一位示威者甚至穿上了整套的納粹服裝,他表示: 「我不怕人們不喜歡,我會反擊。」為了公平對待納粹(真不敢相信我說了這句話),我必 須說今日的仇視者是納粹和三K黨*的混和體。 *「納粹的粉紅三角」: http://zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E7%B2%89%E7%BA%A2%E4%B8%89%E8%A7%92%E5%BD%A2 *美國大屠殺紀念館(暫):http://www.ushmm.org/learn/holocaust-encyclopedia *3K黨:http://zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E4%B8%89K%E5%85%9A Not all the protesters who participatedat the event were Nazis, of course, but a great many of them were Christians.Even though organizers had called upon their followers to avoid showing anysign that would identity them as members of the Church, the choice of songsleft little doubt about their affiliations. 當然不是所有參加的反對者都是納粹,但其中有大部分都是基督徒。雖然主事者要求他們 的追隨者不要秀出任何讓人能辨識出教會的符碼,但他們所挑選的歌曲卻讓此事昭然若揭 。 Blocking efforts 糾察隊阻擋支持同志婚姻者接近、限制人身自由 Interestingly, in my more thanseven years working as a journalist in Taiwan, this was the first time thatcivilians approached me and told me I was not allowed to take pictures. Thesite of the protest on Ketagalan Boulevard, they told us as we approached, was a“closed area.” Only after I insisted that I was a journalist, and Ketty toldthem she was an academic here to study social movements in Taiwan, were weallowed to enter the site. All “security” staff wore special red armbands.There were several hundreds of them, and they kept close tabs on whoever walkedaround, in a manner that was reminiscent of, but that surpassed in itsaggressiveness, the staff of Citizen 1985 who got on my nerves when I tried tocover their protests. Sometimes they would ask people who approached whetherthey were “for” or “against” same-sex marriage. Those who answered that theywere for were barred access. So much for dialogue... 有趣的是,我在台灣當記者七年,這是頭一回有人來跟我說我不能拍照。凱達格蘭大道上 的反同示威者告訴我們這是一個「禁區」。我表示我是記者,而Ketty表示他是學者,前 來研究台灣的社會運動之後才勉強放行。許多「糾察隊」都圍上了紅色臂章,為數有數百 人之多。他們密切監視附近的行人,不禁讓我聯想到在拍1985聯盟抗爭時的不悅,但這些 人的侵略性高出太多。有時候他們還會問上前的民眾是支持還是反對同志婚姻。只要你回 答支持,他們便禁止你進入。好個對話阿…. Surrounded by intolerance 被不寬容包圍 This was also one of the raretimes when civilians arrogated upon themselves rights and duties that arenormally reserved to to law-enforcement officials. Groups of protestersrepeatedly locked arms, encircled, and blocked people who carried placardssupporting gay marriage (see videos here andhere and here).Not even the betel nut-chewing thugs hired by the German wind power firm InfraVest toprotest their sites in Yuanli, Miaoli County, were this bad. Onmany occasions, they also prevented me from walking around freely and left melittle choice but to collide with them. More than once I asked what right theyhad to prevent people from moving freely in a public space. I never received ananswer. 這也是少數幾次我看到公民妄自代執法者執行公權力的場合。許多抗爭者不斷以手臂圍起 圈圈,或限制帶有支持同志婚姻標語者的行動自由。(如影片連結如下)即使是苗栗苑裡的 德國風力公司雇用的那些嚼檳榔的惡棍都沒這麼惡劣。許多時候他們都不讓我在「禁區」 中自由行走,讓幾乎我別無選擇地跟著他們。我好幾次問他們哪來的權力可以限制他人在 公共場合的行動自由,但我一個回答都沒得到。 *影片1: 下福盟/護家盟禁錮婚姻平權倡議者人身自由 http://youtu.be/R-oGGYhbrrw
*影片2: 臺灣軍警以外的第三勢力 2/3 http://youtu.be/c2GYqLAuSNY
*影片3: 1130 凱道人權侵犯實錄 http://youtu.be/YZM9E8B7Tro
As the anti-same-sex marriagegroup formed a tightening circle around members of the United Church(which tolerates homosexuality), a woman berated Ketty for speaking English.“We’re in China,and we speak Chinese here,” she said. Needless to say, if the discriminatoryand utterly unnecessary remarks against language weren’t sufficient to angerKetty, the reference to Chinadid the trick. 當反同志婚姻示威者圍起一個密集的圓圈,將同光教會(支持同志婚姻)包圍時,一位女子 因為Ketty講英語而斥責她:「這是中國,我們講中文!」不由分說,針對語言的歧視是 不夠格激怒Ketty的,但是一提到中國,Ketty便動了氣。 Praying to 'heal' a young gay man? 禱告以「治癒」年輕同志? At one point, two men lockedarms around a young man who had fallen to the ground while they were pursuinghim. I got on my knees next to him and snapped pictures, as several dozens ofprotesters with their pink placards and banners looked on. They nearlysuffocated the poor thing, so closely were they holding him. I looked up andsaw a group of Southeast Asian women praying out loud, their arms extendedtowards the young man. I went over and asked them what they were doing. “We arepraying,” one of them said. This much I could tell. “Are you praying so thatyou will heal him?” I asked, echoing a belief, held by many religious people,that somehow homosexuality is a disease that can be healed. “Why are youasking?” one of them replied with palpable contempt. I told them I was ajournalist and that I was curious as to why they were extending their arms inhis direction while praying. “We’re just praying,” she said, whereupon theymade it clear that his questions — his presence, in fact — were unwelcome. Ihad my answer: they were indeed trying to “heal” him. 一時間,兩個男人拉起手來圍著一個被他們追趕後倒下的少年。我在他旁邊蹲下來並拍照 ,附近拿著粉紅標語的示威者都看著。他們幾乎把這可憐的小東西給悶死,幾乎是將它拘 留住。我抬起頭來看到一群東南亞的女生大聲禱告,他們的手對著少年高舉。我上前並問 他們在做什麼,其中一位女生說「我們在禱告。」這我看得出來,我又問:「你是打算靠 禱告治癒他嗎?」腦中想著,許多宗教人士相信同性戀是一種可以被治療的疾病。一位女 生帶著明顯的輕蔑回答:「你為何這樣問?」我說我是個記者,我很好奇為何他們要在禱 告時對著少年舉手。他回答:「我們只是在禱告。」她表達得很明顯了,這個少年的問題 ,甚至他的存在是不受歡迎的。我得到答案了:「她們是打算『治癒』他。」 *誤植性別,已修正 For people who claim to knowabout love, the mobilization today was one of pure hatred and discrimination.Group dynamics were evidently at play and confirmed what I have long suspected,that a large number of those who turn to religion do so out of a need tofollow, to be told how to think. Many of them are perfectly suited to meet theneeds of the authoritarian Church and follow it like sheep, even if this leadsthem down the road of bigotry. Individually they are cowards, but as a group,they impose their beliefs on others in a way that contradicts what the Book tellsthem. Challenged with fact, they quickly run out of ideas and run away. 這些人宣稱他們懂得愛,但今日的動員卻是完全的仇恨和歧視。團體動力學派上用場了, 而且也證明了我長久以來的懷疑:許多人只是因為出於追隨、為了被教導如何思考而信教 。許多人完美地符合獨裁教會的需求,即使被導向盲從也像羊群一樣地追隨著。就個體來 說,他們是懦弱的;但整體來說他們將他們的想法套用在他人身上,而這種作法和「那本 書(聖經)」給他們的教導背道而馳。若用事實反駁他們,他們很快便會詞窮然後逃之夭夭 。 Fighting back with love 以愛對抗 For example, ask them to explainhow allowing same-sex marriage would lead to bestiality, or how preventing gayunions would eventually solve the problem (homosexuals would disappear overtime), and they don’t have a clue how to respond. They’ll have that inevitablesmug look on their face, and they will condescend, tell you that they areenlightened by their religion, et cetera. But in the end, their minds arehollow. (The repeated references to bestiality are especially worrying, as thispoints to a process of dehumanization, whereby the “other” isn’t exactly humanand is therefore fair game for all kinds of discriminations. Somehow if one’spartner is of the same sex, he or she is less than human; once we allow that,the next step is presumably having intercourse with animals.) 例如,問他們同志婚姻為何會導致人獸交,或是禁止同志結婚是否會減少同志產生,他們 根本沒有能力回答。他們不可避免地將自鳴得意的笑容掛在臉上,殷勤地對你表示他們是 受信仰啟發的…等等云云。但最後,他們的心靈是空洞的。(他們不斷重複獸性的憂慮, 他們開始將同志「去人化」,亦即是次等人,所以各種歧視都是剛好而已。如果一個人的 伴侶是同性,那他就是次等人,如果我們可以容許,那下一步當然就是容許人獸交囉。) ← 護家盟典型滑坡謬論 Oh, and there was xenophobia, too. A huge sign blamed homosexuality onforeigners. 噢,還有對外國人的仇視、無理。一個大型標語將同性戀歸咎於外國人。 Many of the protesters were childrenand hired helps who obviously didn’t have a clue about the issue. Some childrenwere doing their homework on the ground. One mother firmly held up the arm ofher little girl, who obviously didn’t want to be there, for half an hour sothat the homosexuals and their supporters who faced them could see the pinkplacard she was holding. Organizers wanted a large turnout, and they got one.Still, numbers alone don’ t mean much unless they are put in a context. Therewere far, far more people today who expressed their opposition to same-sexmarriage, but in the end, they remain the minority. Taiwan, a predominantly Buddhistcountry, has about 500,000 Catholics. Even if every single one of them opposedsame-sex marriage and showed up at the protest (not all religious persons arehomophobic, but most homophobes happen to be religious), they would still onlyconstitute 1/46th of the total population of about 23 million. Thata relatively much smaller number of people turned up to support gay marriage,or didn’t show up altogether, is a sign that for them, this is a non issue andnone of their business. We should also add that the LGBT Pride parade held lastmonth, which attracted approximately 65,000 people, had already advocated forthe marriage rights of same-sex couples. 許多抗爭者都是孩童以及保姆,他們明顯地對這個議題完全不了解。許多孩子都在地上做 著功課。一位母親將他的小女兒緊緊抱著半小時,好讓面對他們同志和直同志都能看到他 們的粉紅標語。但她的小女兒顯然不想要待在這裡。主事者想要大排場,而他們也得到了 。但是,光是數字並不能代表什麼,除非將他們放在脈絡裡分析。今天有許多人站上街頭 表達他們對同志婚姻的反對,但最終他們仍是少數。台灣,基本上是一個佛教國家,基督 徒只有五十萬人。即使所有的基督徒都到場反對同志婚姻,那也還是少數,僅占台灣總人 口的四十六分之一。即使不是所有的教徒都是恐同者,但幾乎所有的恐同者都是教徒。出 席支持同志的人相對較少,或是沒有集結出現,表示這對他們來說根本不是個問題,或是 不干他們的事。上個月的台灣同志大遊行約有六萬五千人出席,而我們也可以說他們已經 清楚地表達支持同志婚姻了。 * 這邊我將保姆誤譯了,整串連起來誤解為走路工,特此更正。 The face of pain 痛苦的表情 Still, as the several thousandsof people poured onto the scene, I could not help but try to imagine what itmust feel like to be one of the small number of courageous homosexuals who wereholding their placards a few meters away, near the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.I would be devastated at the idea that so many people would come out, withhatred in their hearts, to deny my very existence, to resent me for something Iwas born with. No wonder some of them shed tears. 又,當成千上萬的群眾聚集於此,我不禁想像起那些同志們心裡的感受。他們人數相對稀 少,但勇敢地拿著標語站在數公尺遠的外交部外。若是我,我會感到無比絕望,因為有這 麼多人心中充滿仇恨地站出來,否定我的存在與我與生俱來的東西。難怪他們之中有些人 掉了淚。 As I mingled with the crowd, Ithought about all the other protests I had been to in the past 18 months, all the suffering that I had experienced. Where were those people — people withsupposed religious ideals, a conscience, love, compassion — when the governmentwas demolishing the homes of vulnerable individuals? When people who had lostall hope were ending their lives? None of them were familiar faces (the only familiar faces today were on the side of the angels). 當我混在群眾中時,我想著過去十八個月跑過的抗爭與所有受過的折磨。當政府拆毀無助 人民的家園時、當人們絕望自盡時,這些充滿信仰、同情、愛、與熱情的人們在哪裡?這 些人群中連一張熟悉的臉孔都沒有!唯一熟悉的臉孔,是那些正義的夥伴們 *。 * on the side of the angels [諺] 指支持正義的、好的 很多弱勢支持團體和社運朋友是會互相支援的,前往挺伴侶盟的朋友不見得只會來支持多 元成家的議題,我臉書上的許多朋友們也是常常在不同的場子間穿梭奔走。所以這邊我用 日劇的梗來翻,借做為各弱勢發聲的這些夥伴們,算是cover過去了。一時之間真的想不 到更好的翻法。如果有更好的翻法,我很歡迎。 There are so many problems in society, so much injustice that need remedying.And yet, the only cause that prompted those people to mobilize today was onethat seeks to deny other people the right to form a family. (All photos by theauthor) 社會上有許多問題,許多不公不義需要被導正。但是,今天促使這些人們走上街頭的動力 ,卻是否定他人成家的權力。(所有照片皆為作者所攝) UPDATE: Lawyers have gotten involved, and the victims are planning to file civil lawsuits for slander, false imprisonment, and infringement on personal freedom. They are also considering criminal charges. 律師群已介入,受害者們打算提出誹謗、非法拘禁與妨害個人自由的民事告訴,並不排除 亦提出刑事告訴。 (Tr. By Kong Kao) -- 本文作者為 J. Michael Cole 寇謐將,前 Taipei Times記者。經作者同意翻譯、分享。 原文: http://fareasternpotato.blogspot.tw/2013/11/a-feast-of-hatred.html?spref=fb 這兩天因為護家盟的大動作,本國的媒體上都有大篇幅報導,不過在臉書上看到一篇全英 文的文章引起了我的興趣,許多朋友也在轉載,可是紛紛表示受限於英文程度,無法完全 理解。於是今天在火車上就透過臉書傳了訊息給Michael ,表達希望能夠翻譯與分享他的 文章,Michael也同意了,於是一回到家便開始作業(段考考卷都還沒改完....0rz)。 另外,因為是急就章翻出來的東西,難免會出包。為了避免我的文字和原文有出入,也方 便大家讀不懂我的文字可以回朔ST,文章採用中英對照方式,並盡量呈現原文排版。另酌 以加入注釋。若有缺漏、或有夠好的譯法也請不吝指教! (畢竟不管是大學還是研究所老 師都很怕我寫的東西XDXD) -- (( ◤ ◥◥◥ )) 這一切都是幻覺! - -||/嚇不倒我的~~~ (逃) -- ※ 發信站: 批踢踢實業坊(ptt.cc) ◆ From: 114.36.232.202

12/02 05:59, , 1F
推你熱心翻譯!!
12/02 05:59, 1F

12/02 07:29, , 2F
謝謝你。
12/02 07:29, 2F

12/02 07:45, , 3F
謝謝翻譯!我大概知道這位外國記者是誰了。
12/02 07:45, 3F

12/02 08:23, , 4F
推!
12/02 08:23, 4F