[威家] 威家性別大戰官司獲勝

看板Williams作者 (VStarr)時間17年前 (2006/12/23 00:32), 編輯推噓1(100)
留言1則, 1人參與, 最新討論串1/1
威家被判違約但不需賠償 打了兩年的官司結束了 WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. - The case began with a simple conversation about tennis - and millions of dollars. Two would-be promoters had big plans for tennis stars Venus and Serena Williams, - a 2001 "Battle of the Sexes" match they claimed could have netted about $45 million. It all ended in a bittersweet blow for Carol Clarke and Keith Rhodes, who had sued the sisters, their father, Richard Williams, and his company, Richard Williams Tennis & Associates, for breach of contract. On Thursday, after about five weeks of testimony, a jury found that Richard Williams did indeed fraudulently represent himself in the deal - but the panel awarded no damages. The jury also found the sisters weren't negligent and no damages were levied against them. The promoters had claimed Richard Williams represented himself as his daughters' manager when he signed an agreement committing them to the match. He acknowledged drawing up terms of the deal, and signing it, but he insisted he told them they would have to go through the IMG sports agency, which represents Venus and Serena, to complete any contract. The promoters say he made no such disclaimer. Both sisters testified that only they have authority to approve contracts. Richard Williams also acknowledged that he lied to the promoters when he told them his daughters were aware of the negotiations. Both sisters testified they knew nothing of the deal, signed no contracts and would never have agreed to play in the match. The lawsuit was initially filed in 2002. A first trial ended in a mistrial last year. "You can't always have it your way," a disappointed Rhodes said outside court Thursday. He said he felt "vindicated" but was also disappointed that no damages were awarded. "I believe that anybody reasonably should understand that if you found there was a fraud then you have to understand there was a tremendous amount of time and money expended," Rhodes said. John Romano, the promoters' lawyer, said he would almost certainly appeal. "To say that I'm disappointed would be the understatement of the century," said Romano, whose firm handled the case free of charge on contingency of a win and spent hundreds of thousands of dollars on litigation. "I believe in this case, and I'm still going to fight it," Romano said. The Williams sisters expressed relief, and said they were looking forward to competing in the Australian Open in January. "Venus and I would really like to thank the jury again because they really were able to see the truth in this matter," Serena Williams said. "We just look forward to playing better tennis now that we have these heavy things on our hearts that are no longer on there." Added Venus Williams: "We're ready to start a new chapter in our lives." Despite the verdict against Richard Williams, his lawyers said they consider the case a win. "If this was a tennis match, it would be six-love," said Jan Michael Morris, one of Richard Williams' lawyers. "It's not bittersweet. It's totally sweet," added his other lawyer, David Slutsker. "I don't care about what they say ... about fraudulent and negligent. What really supports our claim is that they came back with zero." "It's a win for all of us," said F. Malcolm Cunninghman, the sisters' lawyer. -- -- ※ 發信站: 批踢踢實業坊(ptt.cc) ◆ From: 61.57.114.24

12/23 01:53, , 1F
終於有一些好消息了 姊妹倆好好衝出成績吧
12/23 01:53, 1F
文章代碼(AID): #15Z0YTkm (Williams)