[外電] Kris Dunn 準備展現他的韌性

看板Timberwolves作者 (ymhon)時間8年前 (2016/06/25 22:40), 編輯推噓11(1104)
留言15則, 12人參與, 最新討論串1/1
來源:http://goo.gl/5p6lA4 Kris Dunn ready to display his toughness for Timberwolves -Kris Dunn faced hardship as a child, but rose above it. Kris Dunn準備好展現他的韌性 -Kris Dunn在童年時就面臨了艱困的時刻,但他克服了一切。 By Kent Youngblood Star Tribune JUNE 25, 2016 — 8:05AM John Dunn didn’t think he was going to cry Thursday night. 在這之前,John Dunn並不認為他會在週四選秀夜晚上哭泣… But then his kid brother was taken with the fifth pick in the NBA draft. Then Kris Dunn got up, walked across the stage at the Barclays Center in New York, cameras flashing. 但接著他看到他的弟弟Kris Dunn在第五順位被選中,他的弟弟站起來、走上紐約Barclays 體育館的中央舞台上,而鎂光燈閃爍個不停。 “I cried for like 10 minutes,” John Dunn said. “It’s just crazy. It’s crazy to see how far we’ve come. To see how far he’s come.” 「我大概哭了有十分鐘,」John Dunn說著。「這真是太瘋狂了,很難以想像我們走了多 遠才達到這個目標,他花了非常多的心血努力。」 Friday at their downtown Minneapolis practice facility, the Timberwolves introduced Kris Dunn — the star Providence guard — to the Twin Cities. In the front two rows to the right of the stage was family, a group that included John Dunn and his family and their father, John Seldon. 周五在Minneapolis的球隊訓練中心,灰狼隊向雙子城球迷介紹了Kris Dunn,來自Provid- ence大學的明星後衛,在最前兩排的觀眾是Dunn的家人,包括John Dunn一家以及他們的父 親John Seldon。 All smiles this time, no tears. Wolves General Manager Scott Layden praised Kris Dunn as the rare two-way player coming out of college. Tom Thibodeau, coach and president of basketball operations, praised Dunn’s toughness. 這一次John Dunn不再流淚,臉上掛滿著笑容。灰狼隊總經理Scott Layden讚揚Kris Dunn 是少有的兼具攻防的NCAA球員。總教練兼籃球事務總裁Tom Thibodeau則讚揚了他的韌性。 Dunn? He talked longingly about playing with teammates Karl-Anthony Towns, Andrew Wiggins and Zach LaVine, simply responding “Alley-oops,” when asked what he liked most about the idea. Dunn呢?他說他渴望與隊友KAT、Wiggins、LaVine打球,當被問到特別期待其中的哪個 部分呢?他簡單的說「第一時間灌籃。」 He promised to trade the glitzy Gucci shoes he wore Thursday night for sneakers and a blue collar. 他開玩笑地保證說他會把在選秀夜上穿的炫目的Gucci鞋賣掉,換來運動鞋跟藍領衣服。 But then, seriously: “We’ve been through a lot of ups and downs,” Dunn said. “My brother knows how hard I worked for this. I worked 22 years for this. The fact I can make my brother proud, after he sacrificed so much for me when we were little, he understands.” 但接著他開始嚴肅起來。「我們經歷了許許多多的起伏,」Dunn說。「我的哥哥知道我做 了多大的努力,我努力了22年才爭到了今天,為了讓我的哥哥感到驕傲。在我們還小的時 候他為了我犧牲了很多,他懂得我在說什麼。」 Unsettled upbringing 動盪不安的童年 Dunn’s story is well-known. John and Kris’s mother, Pia, took the boys away from Connecticut to Virginia when John was 5 years old and Kris was 1; Seldon came home to find them gone, without a trace. Dunn的故事家喻戶曉,John跟Kris的媽媽Pia在John 5歲、Kris 1歲的時候把他們從Conne- cticut帶到Virginia,他們的爸爸Seldon回到家時才發現人都不見了,一點線索都沒有。 When Kris was 9 and John 13, his mom was jailed and the two brothers found themselves alone, in a small Alexandria, Va., apartment. 當Kris 9歲、John 13歲時,他們的媽媽因犯罪入獄,兄弟倆只能孤單的待在小公寓裡。 For months they didn’t tell anybody, afraid they would be separated. They sold their sneakers and some of their clothes. Kris played 1-on-1 basketball against older kids for $20 a game, making the bet with no money in his own pocket. 他們數個月沒有告訴任何人,擔心他們會被迫分離,他們賣掉他們的球鞋和衣服,Kris 找一些年紀較大的孩子單挑,每場下注$20美金,但其實他口袋裏一毛錢都沒有。 Sometimes he lost. 有些時候他還是會輸球。 “Sometimes I ran away, got away,” Dunn said. “Sometimes I got caught and had to fight.” 「這時我只能選擇逃跑,」Dunn說。「有時候我被抓住了,就只能跟他們打架。」 Tracking phone records, Seldon got a lead on where the boys were. One night, he drove from Connecticut down to Virginia and brought the boys home. John Dunn knew his dad, but Kris had no recollection, so the transition was hard. Seldon remembers wondering what he was getting himself into on the drive north. 根據電話紀錄的線索,Seldon找到兄弟倆住的地方。一天晚上,他開車從Connecticut到 Virginia,準備帶兄弟倆回家。雖然John Dunn知道他的父親是誰,但是Kris一點回憶都 沒有,所以當他們面對面時,那個心境上的轉換對於Kris是非常的煎熬的。 “I was just trying to show them everything was OK,” he said. “I just wanted my kids. It worked out. It was great.” 「我努力讓他們知道所有事情都是OK的,」他說。「我只是想要回我的孩子,而最後這終 於說服他們。」 Eventually. The transition was difficult, but it worked; Seldon had played college football, so sports brought them together. John Dunn was able to stop being a father and become a kid again. He and his kid brother were home. 孩子們心態的調適很艱難,但最終那終於成功了,Seldon曾經打過大學橄欖球隊,那讓他 與孩子們有了連結。John Dunn終於不用再兄兼父職,可以再次當回一個小孩子。他和他的 弟弟終於回家了。 “You have to build that relationship and trust,” Kris Dunn said. “My dad was great at that. Didn’t put too much pressure on me. He loves sports, I love sports. He saw I was good at football, basketball, and he did everything in his power to help me become the best player I could be.” 「你必須建立起關係和信任,」Kris Dunn說。「我的父親很擅長於這點,他沒有給我過多 的壓力。他愛運動,我也愛運動,而他看到我橄欖球跟籃球打得不錯,所以他努力讓我成 為最佳球員。」 Learning toughness 學會堅韌 His point: After hustling pickup games just trying to make it through a day, the prospect of jumping from college to the NBA is more thrilling than intimidating. 他的觀點:經歷過那些只為了掙一點錢過活的鬥牛比賽後,Dunn對於從大學跳到NBA是興奮 多於害怕。 “I came from a tough background, so you had to be tough,” he said. “Tough, gritty, don’t bend down or nobody.” 「我經歷過一個艱難的童年,所以你必須變得堅韌,」他說。「韌性、堅忍不拔,你不能 俯首投降,否則你誰也不是。」 And that is the way he plays. There will be time to discuss how — or if — he will play with Ricky Rubio. Or whether his jump shot needs to improve. But right now, the Wolves have a 22-year-old mature beyond his years, tough enough not to flinch, athletic enough to defend. 這也正是他打球的方式。或許接下來會討論他要如何或說是否會跟Rubio一起打球,而他 的跳投也需要改善,但現在灰狼隊有了一個比他22歲的年齡還要成熟的球員,他夠強硬不 會退縮,而他也有著足夠的運動力來防守。 He has already shown a few times he is confident enough to follow his gut. Like when he finally told his dad he was quitting football to play basketball full-time. “He didn’t talk to me for a whole two weeks,” Kris Dunn said. “ I kid you not.” 他已經幾度展現出他對於自己的自信,例如他終於下定決心告訴父親他要停止打橄欖球, 全心全意的投入籃球。「他整整兩個禮拜沒跟我講話」Kris Dunn說。「我是說真的。」 Or when, against the advice of some family members, he decided to go back to Providence for his junior season, which ultimately got him higher in the draft and got him a college degree. 或著是去年他不順從家族成員的建議,決定退出選秀回到Providence大學打他的大三球季( 是他入學的第四年,也就是本季),讓他最終在今年選秀順位飆漲也讓他有機會完成學位。 “He trusts himself, that’s the big thing,” John Dunn said. 「他相信他自己,這是很重要的事情。」John Dunn說道。 But confidence like that is usually found in people with close, tight families. Kris Dunn has that, even fond memories of his mom, who died in 2013. 這種自信通常來自於親近、緊密的家庭關係中,而Kris Dunn有的,甚至他也感念他那位 經常入獄的母親,他的母親死於2013年。 Because his older brother was always there for him, protecting him, Dunn said one of the first things he will do after signing a contract is buy him a house. 正因為他的哥哥永遠幫著他、保護他,Dunn說當他簽下合約拿到收入後的第一件事情就是 要幫哥哥買一棟房子。 “Family,” he said, “means everything.” 「家庭,」他說。「意味著所有事情。」 -- ※ 發信站: 批踢踢實業坊(ptt.cc), 來自: 118.168.110.69 ※ 文章網址: https://www.ptt.cc/bbs/Timberwolves/M.1466865602.A.AA6.html

06/25 22:49, , 1F
感謝翻譯@3@/
06/25 22:49, 1F

06/25 22:50, , 2F
灰狼真是集結了一群好孩子...QQ
06/25 22:50, 2F

06/25 22:50, , 3F
感謝分享
06/25 22:50, 3F

06/25 22:53, , 4F
淚奔~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
06/25 22:53, 4F