[外電] Garnett to aid Katrina victims

看板Timberwolves作者 (KG4MVP)時間18年前 (2005/11/12 00:40), 編輯推噓3(300)
留言3則, 3人參與, 最新討論串1/1
http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/sports/basketball/13140357.htm Timberwolves all-star Kevin Garnett is donating $1.2 million to build homes for victims of Hurricane Katrina in partnership with Oprah Winfrey's Angel Network. The announcement was made on Oprah's TV show that aired Thursday. There were rumblings several weeks ago that Garnett would be making a donation to aid the storm victims. But the Wolves kept things quiet so Winfrey's producers could surprise her as part of the show. Garnett's donation will build one home a month for the next two years, 24 homes total, for the victims along the Gulf Coast, which was battered by Katrina. "I'm extremely excited to be working with such a quality individual like Oprah Winfrey and her organization," Garnett said in a statement. "I heard Oprah's message about what people could do individually to help those affected by Hurricane Katrina, and it made me think about what I could do. I'm glad to be partnering with an organization that is dedicated to making a difference, and through this project we are directly helping people who need it the most." Garnett did not appear in person on the show. The Wolves were given the day off Thursday, and Garnett was not available for comment. He is expected to comment today at practice. On Aug. 29, Katrina made landfall as a powerful storm along the Gulf Coast that overwhelmed the levees in New Orleans, leaving much of the city flooded. More than 1,000 people died as a result of the storm. "K.G. was very moved by everything that went on from Hurricane Katrina," Garnett's agent, Andy Miller, said in a phone interview. "He was watching very closely and felt a strong passion to make an impact." In January, Garnett donated $100,000 for tsunami relief to the American Refugee Committee's fishing boat project. Defensive tidbits: It's early, but there are signs that the Wolves are off to a good start defensively. Minnesota is allowing an average of 89 points a game, sixth fewest in the NBA. And the scoring differential of +5.4 points was tied for fourth in the league through Wednesday's games. In 2004-05, the Wolves set single-season NBA records for fewest steals (460) and turnovers forced (963). Now, the Wolves are forcing 6.4 steals a game (22nd in the NBA) and 15 turnovers (16th). "Once it becomes a habit, it becomes fun," guard Troy Hudson said. "When you first start going over (defense) in practice and training camp, it wasn't that much fun. But once you see the results that come out of it, it becomes fun." Briefly: Wolves assistant coach Johnny Davis, a former head coach of the Orlando Magic, will be in charge of practice today and Saturday while coach Dwane Casey attends his father's funeral in Indianapolis. -- ※ 發信站: 批踢踢實業坊(ptt.cc) ◆ From: 218.175.108.62

11/12 13:35, , 1F
好人KG.......
11/12 13:35, 1F

11/12 14:57, , 2F
NBA主板也有人要酸KG....哀哀...世風日下人心不古
11/12 14:57, 2F

11/13 16:22, , 3F
NBA板那個是白爛...別鳥他
11/13 16:22, 3F
文章代碼(AID): #13TCc6tn (Timberwolves)