[專欄] Leylah Fernandez and Emma Raducanu Ste

看板Tennis作者 (paper)時間2年前 (2021/09/11 06:25), 2年前編輯推噓10(1003)
留言13則, 10人參與, 2年前最新討論串1/1
Leylah Fernandez and Emma Raducanu Steal Some Grand Slam Spotlight 萊拉與艾瑪竊取了大滿貫賽事的目光 By Christopher Clarey The New York Times 紐約時報 Sept. 10, 2021 1:57 p.m. ET 編按:這篇紐時的專欄內容講到這兩位選手的家庭、網球生平、強項等,算半個懶人包, 分享給大家。以下截取個人覺得有趣的片段,業餘不負責翻譯,請鞭小力點。全文請看連 結 https://tinyurl.com/3bjjedws “I find it fascinating that literally the only way for the women’s draw to c apture some focus away from Novak Djokovic chasing the most historic feat in t ennis, the calendar-year Grand Slam, was to come up with something like a fair y tale,” said Pam Shriver, once a surprise U.S. Open finalist herself at age 16. “With all due respect, it couldn’t have been the No. 2 player and No. 10 player facing off, but this story is almost like the perfect complement to Dj okovic going for history.” 曾經以16歲之姿勇闖美網決賽的 Pam Shriver 表示:「我感到非常驚奇,女網賽事這次 以如此童話般的故事,吸走了 Djokovic 追求歷史紀錄的焦點。老實說,世界第2對抗世 界第10大概無法達到這個目的。某個程度來說,這樣的故事剛好完美配合 Djokovic 追求 歷史的時機點。」 This will be the first all-teenage Grand Slam final since Serena Williams defe ated Martina Hingis in 1999 at Flushing Meadows to win the first of her 23 maj or singles titles. 這是 1999 年 Serena Williams 在法拉盛球場擊敗 Martina Hingis 以來,第一次再由 兩位十幾歲的球員展開大滿貫決賽賽事。而 Serena Williams 也是在那場她的首個冠軍 後,展開她的23個賽事冠軍生涯。 But this is not quite the same teenage scene. Williams and Hingis were already stars in 1999. Hingis was ranked No. 1 and seeded No. 1. Williams was seeded No. 7 and had been making headlines and waves with her older sister Venus for years. 但這場景並不完全相同。1999 年的決賽,Hingis 當時已經是世界第一,而且是該賽事第 一種子。Williams 則是第七種子,而且當時她與她姊姊 Venus 早已經佔據了新聞頭條並 受到關注多年。 Fernandez and Raducanu were familiar only to tennis cognoscenti before arrivin g in New York. Fernandez is unseeded and ranked 73rd. Raducanu is ranked 150th , which meant that she had to make it through qualifying just to reach the mai n draw. Though she turned heads, particularly in Britain, by reaching the four th round at Wimbledon in her Grand Slam singles debut this year, she seemed ov erwhelmed by the moment and the physical challenge and was unable to finish th at fourth-round match against Ajla Tomljanovic because she had trouble breathi ng. Fernandez 跟 Raducanu 在美網前則只在專業網球評論家的雷達裡。之前Fernandez 排名 73,並非種子選手。Raducanu 排名150,她必須透過資格賽進到正式賽。雖然今年Raduca nu的名氣在溫網嶄露頭角(尤其是在英國),但她因為換氣困難的緣故,退出第四輪與 A jla Tomlijanovic 的比賽。 But instead of that frightening experience holding her back, she has rebounded beautifully and has yet to drop a set in New York: not in three qualifying ma tches or her six main-draw matches against vastly more experienced players, in cluding the new Olympic champion Belinda Bencic. Raducanu is now the first qualifier to reach a Grand Slam singles final, going one round further than the likes of John McEnroe. 然而這樣的恐怖經驗並沒有打敗她,她在紐約表現精彩,三場資格賽及六場會內賽,包括 對今年新科奧運冠軍 Belinda Bencic 的比賽,她未失一盤。 Raducanu 是史上第一位從資格賽打進大滿貫單打決賽的球員。比 John McEnroe 還多挺 進一輪(John McEnroe在1977從資格賽打進溫網4強) “A surprise,” she said. “Yeah, honestly I just can’t believe it. A shock. Crazy. All of the above. But it means a lot to be here in this situation. I wa nted obviously to, like, be playing Grand Slams, but I didn’t know how soon t hat would be. To be in a Grand Slam final at this stage of my career, I have n o words.” Raducanu 在半決賽贏球後的訪問說道:「很驚訝,說真的我無法相信。這是個驚奇、這 一些都很瘋狂。但這情況意義重大。我當然想要打大滿貫,不久前我還不知道多久可以做 到。但現在在這個舞台上,我就要打大滿貫決賽啦。我不知道該說什麼。」 “I’m just having fun,” she said. “I’m trying to produce something for the crowd to enjoy. I’m glad that whatever I’m doing on court, the fans are lov ing it, and I’m loving it too. We’ll say it’s magical.” Fernandez 則在打敗大會第二種子 Sabalenka 後受訪說道:「我就是在享受比賽,我就 是在嘗試給觀眾一些享受。我很高興粉絲們很愛我做的這一切,我也很愛這一切。這很驚 奇。」 The word applies to both players’ runs to the final, but their paths to this rarefied moment have been both remarkably similar and remarkably different. Bo th were born in Canada, but though Raducanu still holds a Canadian passport, s he left with her parents to live in London when she was 2. Both also grew up i n multicultural households. Raducanu’s father is Romanian; her mother is Chin ese. Fernandez’s father, Jorge, also her coach, was born in Ecuador before im migrating to Canada at age 4 with his parents, and Fernandez’s mother was bor n in Canada to parents who immigrated from the Philippines. (這裡我就大概翻一下) 他們都挺進決賽,但兩人的路程跟背景令人驚訝的相似又不同。他們兩人都是在加拿大出 生。Raducanu 雖然還有加拿大護照,但在兩歲開始就隨著父母住在倫敦。兩人都是在多 文化家庭中長大。Raducanu 的父親是羅馬尼亞人,母親則是中國人。Fernandez 的父親 兼教練是4歲就移民加拿大的厄瓜多人,媽媽則是菲律賓裔加拿大人。 But Fernandez’s family has had significant financial challenges and hardships , with her mother leaving Canada to work in California for several years durin g Fernandez’s youth to better support the family. “Those few years have been definitely hard for me, because I needed a mom,” Fernandez said. “I needed someone to be there for me through the age of 10 to 13. I’ve barely seen her at that time. Every time I saw her, it was like see ing a stranger but at the same time someone so familiar.” Though Tennis Canada has provided some support for Fernandez’s tennis, money has often been tight, her father said. 但 Fernandez 一家其實一直面臨經濟上的困難與挑戰。她媽媽在 Fernandez 還小的時候 為了生計,離家在加州工作多年。 Fernandez 提到:「那幾年對我來說其實很痛苦,因為我需要媽媽。對於10到13歲的我來 說,我需要她在我身邊。那時候每次我看她,就像是看到熟悉的陌生人。」(抱歉簡譯XD ) 她爸爸說雖然加拿大網球協會有給予一些幫助,但錢一直都很緊繃。 Fernandez said she also had faced many doubts in her early career about her po tential. She remembered a teacher in Canada telling her to stop playing tennis and just focus on her studies because she would “never make it.” “Now I’m laughing,” she said. “I’m just glad that she told me that becaus e every day I have that phrase in my head saying that I’m going to keep going . I’m going to push through, and I’m going to prove to her everything that I ’ve dreamed of, I’m going to achieve.” Fernandez 說她也面臨過很多對她網球潛力的質疑,她回憶說曾經有個老師叫她專注在課 業上,不要再打網球,因為「你絕對做不到」 她說:「現在我可以笑了,我還是開心她跟我說這些話,這些話隨時在砥礪我自己繼續努 力。我會繼續努力,向她證明我會達到我所夢想的一切。」 Raducanu, whose parents work in finance, does not appear to be fueled by a des ire to quiet the skeptics and, unlike Fernandez, she was not firmly set on bei ng a professional tennis player until recently. “Maybe two years ago,” she said. “I always had my education as a backup. I was doing it alongside my tennis. I had options. I still do, but obviously I’ m a hundred percent in my tennis now.” Raducanu 則似乎沒有這樣要讓存疑者閉嘴的動機。不像 Fernandez,她一直沒有很確定 要成為個專業網球選手,直到最近。她說:「也許直到兩年前,我一直保持學業上可以作 為自己的後路。但現在我百分之百確定我會在網球路上。」 Raducanu has been the more dominant force, dispatching opponents with powerful precision, and is tied for second in the tournament in the percentage of retu rn games won and percentage of service games won. Fernandez has had to scrap, hustle and believe through four straight three setters. But Fernandez also has had a tougher draw: defeating two former No. 1 players in Naomi Osaka and Ang elique Kerber, the former WTA Finals champ Elina Svitolina and the imposing Sa balenka. Raducanu 有更好的比賽統御能力,用強而有力的精準度宰制對手。在賽事中,她的回球 局勝場百分比與發球局勝場百分比都並列賽事第二。Fernandez 則不得不連續四場比賽鏖 戰三盤。但她的籤表也比較艱巨:接連打敗兩名前世界第一,大阪直美與 Angelique Ker ber,以及前 WTA 年終賽冠軍得主 Elian Svitolina 和正火的 Sabalenka。 Fernandez’s ability to beat that many quality players in taut, tight matches is a tribute to her resolve, adaptability and talent. She is a left-hander, an d her serve, particularly her first serve, has been very effective. She has be en selectively and effectively bold, hitting more return winners (22) than any player in this Open. Sabalenka overwhelmed her early on Thursday but Fernande z then adjusted to the pace and reeled her in, exchanging low baseline bolts a t times and abruptly changing pace with drop shots at others. Fernandez 的剛毅、適應性及潛力是她能夠打敗這些強有力對手的關鍵。她左手持拍,有 著非常有效率的發球(尤其是一發)贏球率。她的回球得分數是本次美網最多(22次)。 Sabalenka 在週四的比賽中雖然一開始給了她震撼彈,但 Fernandez 後來適應了節奏, 運用不時的變線跟突然的網前小球贏得比賽。 -- ※ 發信站: 批踢踢實業坊(ptt.cc), 來自: 162.193.219.133 (美國) ※ 文章網址: https://www.ptt.cc/bbs/Tennis/M.1631312723.A.27D.html ※ 編輯: sandpaper (162.193.219.133 美國), 09/11/2021 06:26:44 ※ 編輯: sandpaper (162.193.219.133 美國), 09/11/2021 06:33:02

09/11 06:38, 2年前 , 1F
感謝翻譯,真的好期待決賽喔
09/11 06:38, 1F

09/11 06:49, 2年前 , 2F
真的很驚奇
09/11 06:49, 2F
※ 編輯: sandpaper (162.193.219.133 美國), 09/11/2021 06:52:17

09/11 07:28, 2年前 , 3F
女網很久沒有這種期待性
09/11 07:28, 3F

09/11 07:41, 2年前 , 4F
美網這次賺翻了,女網、男網都話題滿載。