[外電] It’s all about the journey

看板Pistons作者 (台北不是我的家)時間16年前 (2007/12/11 23:10), 編輯推噓8(800)
留言8則, 8人參與, 最新討論串1/1
原文出處: http://www.nba.com/pistons/news/eliz_blog_071202.html -- We were in Milwaukee this weekend and it so happened that Flip Saunders' wife Debbie had driven to the game with her daughter Mindy and some family friends. She still lives in Minnesota, staying there to raise her kids and maintain family stability in the period following Flip’s move to the coaching position with the Pistons in 2005. Before we talked to her on the air in the second quarter of the Pistons 117-91 rout of the Bucks, I sat in the stands and chatted her up to get some background information. 我們週末在密爾瓦基,很恰巧老桑的太太Debbie帶著她的女兒以及一些親朋好友也開 車到場觀賽。'05年老桑接下活塞兵符搬到底特律後她仍住在明尼蘇達,留在那邊讓家庭保 持安穩並一面照顧她的孩子們。在活塞以117比91修理公鹿的比賽中,於第二節她接受正式 訪問前,我坐在觀眾席和她閒聊了一下並獲得了一些幕後資訊。 I was curious to know what it was like before her husband made it in the big time, before he became a coach at his sport’s highest level where the recognition, lifestyle and material rewards are so great. “You mean back when I was clipping coupons to make ends meet?” Debbie said. 我很好奇想知道在她先生成為家喻戶曉的名人前,在他成為籃球界最高層級的教練, 同時享有高度肯定、生活品質以及物質回報前,他們的生活是什麼樣子。"你是說我到處剪 優待券,企圖達到收支平衡的那段苦日子嗎?"Debbie說。 “Yeah, that’s what I mean,” I replied. “You’re in Lacrosse, Wisconsin in 1992 with four kids including two twin babies and your husband’s making next to nothing. Did you ever imagine the bright lights of the NBA beckoning in your future?” "是的,那就是我想問的,"我回答。"'92年時你們和4個孩子,包括兩個雙胞胎住在威 斯康辛州的拉科羅斯,那時候你的丈夫幾乎賺不到什麼錢,一文不名。妳曾想像過NBA的榮 景會在未來不遠處向你們招手嗎?" “Never got caught up in that,” Debbie said. “I was just living with what we had. When I look back on it, I believe the road harder traveled is the better one.” "我從沒想過,"Debbie說。"我只是很認命地過我們的生活。當我回首過去,我相信走 過越艱困的路對未來會越有幫助。" I can’t agree with her more. When Flip took over the CBA Rapid City Thrillers in 1988, he was 33 years old and on a mission to be the best coach he could be. In seven CBA seasons that included stops with the La Crosse Catbirds and the Sioux Falls Skyforce, he won two championships and two coach-of-the year awards and earned his shot in the NBA with Minnesota in 1995. 我非常同意她的說法。'88年老桑接掌CBA拉皮德尖叫隊時年僅33歲,而且背負著要成 為盡自己所能的最出色教練的使命。在CBA的7個球季,他曾執教鞭的隊伍還包括拉科羅斯 貓鵲隊及蘇瀑空中武力隊,他率隊贏得兩次冠軍並兩度獲頒年度最佳教練,終於他在'95年 得到晉身NBA教練的絕佳機會,接下了明尼蘇達灰狼的總教練一職。 Life is about the journey. It’s about all the experiences; all the learning; all the pitfalls; all the times that you fought with doubt and adversity to follow the path you set out on. Don’t forget, Saunders first path was to play, and he was voted Ohio’s best in 1973 when he averaged 32 points a game. He was also a star at the University of Minnesota, and his teammate there, Kevin McHale, would later be in position to hire him to coach the Timberwolves. 生命就像一趟旅途。一切關乎經驗、學習、陷阱;為了達到一開始設定的目標,你會 一直和疑惑及逆境奮戰。別忘了,老桑的第一個挑戰是當個籃球員,而他在'73年時以每場 比賽平均32分獲選為俄亥俄州最佳高中籃球員。他同時也是明尼蘇達大學的明星球員,而 他當時的隊友Kevin McFail就是之後僱用他到灰狼執教的那個貴人。 Saunders only problem as a player was that he was too short. He’s listed at 5-foot-10, but I’m not so sure that’s without his shoes on. But the toughness and determination that enabled him to star as an undersized player also drove him after his playing window closed and he set out to become a coach. His roots are as humble as it gets. He coached at a Lutheran college and was an assistant at his alma mater, Minnesota and at Tulsa before getting to the CBA. 做為一個球員老桑唯一的問題是他太矮了。他登記的身高為5呎10吋(約178公分),但 我真的很懷疑他鞋子脫掉之後剩下幾公分。但鬥志和決心讓比同樣位置球員矮了一截的他 成為了球星並且在高掛球鞋後還能設定目標並順利成為教練。他的出身卑微至極。在晉身 CBA教練之前,他曾在一所路德教會學院執教,擔任過母校明尼蘇達大學以及塔爾薩大學的 助理教練。 Every game, every season, every overnight bus ride in the dead of winter in Sioux Falls; every night in a Red Roof is a part of the journey. One night it might be a lesson in a better way to nurture a young player, or how to better beat a zone. You don’t just wind up on the sidelines in the NBA. Especially when you’re a “no name” like Flip Saunders. It’s probably a little different for a guy like Pat Riley. 每一場球賽,每一個賽季,在蘇瀑嚴寒的冬天裡每一趟通宵的巴士旅程;每一個委身 Red Roof平價旅館的夜晚都是這旅途的一部分。一個晚上可能可以給正在培育的年輕球員 好好上一課,或許是教他們如何破解區域聯防。NBA教練這份工作不會是從天而降的禮物。 特別當你是像老桑這樣的"無名小卒"時。他的經歷可能會和油頭有些不一樣。 Fittingly, when this season is over, Saunders will be second only to Chuck Daly in all-time Pistons victories. Daly was another coach with no pedigree, a high school speech teacher in Pennsylvania who coached basketball to augment a $2,500 a year salary in the 1950s. Chuck’s incredible 50-year coaching journey also led him through Detroit on his way to the Hall of Fame. When his Bad Boys won a title in 1989, Daly was 59 years old. 當本季結束,老桑在活塞的勝場數將剛剛好成為隊史上僅次於Chuck Daly第二多的教 練。Daly是另一個沒有任何背景和關係的教練,他在'50年代是在賓州教演講的老師,為了 讓年薪達到2500美元才兼職擔任籃球教練。Chuck長達50年,不可思議的教練生涯同時也讓 他在帶領壞小孩於'89年贏得總冠軍時,入選了籃球名人堂,當年他59歲。 Flip turns 53 this season – and just like it was back in La Crosse, it’s simply another part of the journey. The lesson for all of us is that you simply work for your family as hard as you can in a life-long journey to points unknown. 本季老桑將滿53歲 - 而且就像當時在拉科羅斯,這是旅途中另一個簡單的部分。我們 全部都可以學到一課,在長達一生的旅途中你只要盡全力為你的家庭付出,直到不可知的 未來。 -- ※ 發信站: 批踢踢實業坊(ptt.cc) ◆ From: 118.232.64.42

12/11 23:17, , 1F
McFail...是誤打還是.....
12/11 23:17, 1F

12/11 23:18, , 2F
推~~ McFail~~
12/11 23:18, 2F

12/12 00:31, , 3F
推~~
12/12 00:31, 3F

12/12 03:27, , 4F
推~
12/12 03:27, 4F