[外電] PISTONS ROOKIE PROFILE: With a famil …

看板Pistons作者 (台北不是我的家)時間17年前 (2007/07/20 18:26), 編輯推噓23(2305)
留言28則, 25人參與, 5年前最新討論串1/1
原文出處: http://0rz.tw/1f2Sh -- PISTONS ROOKIE PROFILE: With a family like his, Stuckey won't fail 活塞新秀特寫:擁有一個像他這樣的家庭,Stuckey不會失敗的。 Life as a rookie in the NBA comes standard with embarrassment on the court, smelly bags to carry after games and doughnuts to pick up on the way to practice. NBA新秀的生活都差不多都是這個樣子,在場上顯得侷促不安,在賽後幫隊上老大哥提 塞滿汗臭味衣物的袋子,以及在前往練習場的路上繞路去買一些甜甜圈。 Also included: higher pressure, the grind of 82 regular-season games and no promise of regular playing time. 另外還包括:更沉重的壓力,多達82場的漫長例行賽還有不受保證的固定上場時間。 But Rodney Stuckey, the Pistons' rookie guard, is ready to weather that storm. 但Rodney Stuckey,活塞的菜鳥後衛,已經做好準備迎接即將到來的嚴厲考驗了。 Because when something tough comes his way, he knows he has a blended family of 13 strong -- one family is white, one is black -- some tied by blood, some involved only because of a choice to support him. His mother and his six siblings, and his second family, led by Diane McElhinney, who took Stuckey into her home during high school. 因為當遭遇某些艱難的事情時,他知道他還有一個由13個人組成,關係緊密的大家庭 在背後支持他 -- 一個是白人家庭,另一個則是黑人 -- 一些和他有血緣關係,另外那些 則是因為決定要幫助他而加了進來。他的母親和六個兄弟姐妹,而他的第二個家庭,是由 他高中時把他帶進她家的,Diane McElhinney當家的家庭。 Stuckey wouldn't have it any other way. 如果不是Diane及時伸出援手,Stuckey恐怕也沒辦法有像今天這樣的成就。 This hodgepodge group helped him rebound from academic issues and become a first-round NBA draft pick. 這個大家庭幫助他從學業問題走出來並成為一個在NBA選秀會上第一輪就入選的明日之 星。 "Everything worked out perfect," Stuckey said. "I've got a big family now." "每件事情都有了完美的結局,"Stuckey說。"我現在擁有一個大家庭。" His college coach uses a different word. 他大學時期的教練則用了不同的字來形容這一切。 "He's been blessed," ex-Eastern Washington coach Mike Burns said, "with a lot of people coming into his life at the right times to help him." "他是受到上帝眷顧的人,"前東華盛頓大學教練Mike Burns說,"因為在他最需要的時 候有許多人走進他的人生,給了他最及時的幫助。" -- Tough time 艱困時刻 Stuckey grew up the sixth child in a family of seven -- five boys and two girls -- raised by a single mother, Faye Stuckey. Stuckey是家中第六個小孩(全家共有七個小孩) -- 五個男生和兩個女生,都由單親媽 媽,Faye Stuckey一肩負起養育的責任。 He said his mother doesn't work because of a rare skin disease that limits her mobility. His father is a subject he is not willing to discuss. 他說他的母親因為一種罕見的皮膚疾病行動受到限制而無法工作。他的父親則是一個 他連提都不願意提的渾球。 But Stuckey said his mother did the best she could for the family in Kent, Wash., a suburb tucked between Seattle and Tacoma with Mt. Rainier looming overhead. 但Stuckey說他的母親還是盡其所能給予住在華盛頓肯特市,一個位於西雅圖和塔克馬 市之間,坐落藍尼爾山腳下的小城市的這個家庭最好的照顧。 Stuckey always loved to play basketball. Even back in middle school, when he played with others who went on to college and the NBA, he stood out. Stuckey總是熱愛打籃球。甚至回顧他中學時,當他和其他上了大學和進入NBA的打球 ,他的表現也是相當突出。 But as he excelled on the court in high school, his grade-point average took a dive. 但當他就讀高中於球場上大放異彩的同時,他的學業成績卻每下愈況。 "Sophomore year, I just thought it was fun to play basketball, not go to school ... hang out with my friends," Stuckey said. "That really killed me. I ended up failing like four classes." "二年級時,我只想說打籃球很有趣,所以不想去上學...整天就只是和朋友們在外面 閒晃,"Stuckey說。"那真的害慘我了。學期結束我大概被當了四科吧。" His future suffered because of that year. But he also gained something good, too. 他的未來因為那年而蒙上一層陰影。但塞翁失馬焉知非福,同時間他也遇上了一些好 事。 That year, Stuckey befriended a senior teammate named Matt Taller and often hung out at his home. 那年,Stuckey和三年級的隊友Matt Taller成為莫逆之交並且時常到他家作客。 Taller's mother, McElhinney, slowly grew to know the Stuckey boys. Taller的母親,McElhinney,慢慢地開始認識了這個姓Stuckey的男孩。 But she was unprepared for what happened next. With Taller, the oldest of her four sons, leaving for college, McElhinney had a surprising "intuition" that she should help the Stuckey family. 但她沒想過未來會演變成怎樣。當Taller,他四個孩子中的長子離家去就讀大學後, McElhinney突然有了一種令人訝異的直覺,她應該主動去幫助Stuckey的家庭。 -- Help on horizon 建立在平等地位上所給予的協助 The two families live only a few blocks apart. The Stuckeys were struggling. The McElhinneys were not. 兩個家庭僅相隔幾條街之遠,Stuckey家正在逆境中掙扎,而McElhinney家則沒有。 So McElhinney approached Rodney's mother. There could have been tension -- the Stuckeys didn't ask for handouts -- but Faye was receptive. 所以McElhinney去接近了Rodney的母親。那可能會產生一些緊張的氣氛 -- Stuckey並 未主動尋求幫助 -- 但Faye是個識大體的人。 "I want Faye to get all sorts of credit; she's an amazing woman," McElhinney said. "She has gone way outside of her comfort zone to do the best thing for her kids. ... From the minute I got to know her, we had a connection. I said to her, 'I know this is probably crazy, but I feel like there is something that I need to do for you.' Then she said, 'I could really just use someone to talk to .' " "我希望Faye得到全面性的幫助;她是個偉大的女人,"McElhinney說。"她就算勉強自 己也要給孩子們最好的照顧。...從我認識她的那一刻起,我們就變成了好朋友。我跟她說 ,'我知道這聽起來可能很瘋狂,但我就是認為我應該要為了做些什麼。'接著她說,'我真 的可以隨便找個人來講這些話的。'" And so McElhinney started visiting the Stuckey house, just to talk. She said some Stuckeys were wary at first. 所以McElhinney開始會固定前往Stuckey家探望,但只是去聊一聊。她說剛開始還有些 人對她抱持著懷疑的態度。 "It seems like I come from a whole different world," McElhinney said. "But if you look at how I grew up, it was very similar. I grew up in a tough situation. " "那感覺就好像我是來自一個完全不一樣的世界,"McElhinney說。"但如果你了解我是 怎樣長大的,你就會知道那其實很類似。我也一樣在一個困苦的環境中長大。" As their relationship grew, McElhinney then tutored one of Rodney's sisters, assisted with expenses and helped Rodney bring up his GPA through correspondence classes. 當他們的關係越來越好時,McElhinney開始指導Rodney的一位姐妹功課,幫忙支付學 費並且協助Rodney藉由函授課程來提升學業成績。 Stuckey said he and his mother welcomed the help. Stuckey說他和他的母親很樂意得到這些幫助。 "She thought it was a blessing from God for (Diane) to come and help out," Stuckey said. "她認為那是上帝的恩典,是祂指派Diane來幫助我們脫離困境,"Stuckey說。 -- Moving in 搬進McElhinney家 The summer before his junior year, Stuckey spent four to five hours each day at the McElhinneys' five-bedroom home, sitting at a table, studying with Diane. 在他升上三年級前的暑假,Stuckey每天花上四到五個小時在McElhinney擁有五間臥室 的家裡,坐在桌子前面,在Diane陪同下努力地K書。 When school began again, McElhinney and her husband, Brent, offered to let Stuckey and one of his brothers move in. They accepted the offer. 開學後,McElhinney和她的先生,Brent,提出了讓Stuckey和他的一個兄弟搬進他們 家的建議。而他們接受了這個提議。 Stuckey said he never questioned the McElhinneys' intentions, never wondered why they would want to give so much. Stuckey說他從未質疑McElhinney的動機,也從未對於他們為什麼願意給予這麼多的幫 助感到奇怪。 "That's just how she is," Stuckey said. "She just wants to help people." "她就是這樣的人,"Stuckey說。"她就是樂於助人。" Stuckey's grades stayed at a B average for the next two years as he lived at the McElhinneys'. Soon, both sides realized the bond they had created was not a temporary one. 當住進McElhinney家後,接下來兩年Stuckey都拿到了B的成績。很快地,雙方就意識 到他們共同創造的關係並不只是暫時的。 Diane said she realized she would forever consider Rodney her own at Kentwood High School basketball senior night. At first, McElhinney wasn't sure it was her place to show up to an event for players and their families. Diane說在肯伍高中籃球之夜,她永遠都會認為Rodney是她自己的孩子。一開始, McElhinney並不確定那是不是一個自己應該現身的地方,因為該活動是專為球員及其家人 舉辦的。 But Rodney, who considers McElhinney a stepmom, told her he wanted her there. 但把McElhinney視為自己第二個母親的Rodney告訴她,希望她能出席活動。 "He put one arm around me," McElhinney said, "and one arm around Faye, and he was the proudest guy in the room." "他用一手搭在我肩上,"McElhinney說,"另一手則搭在Faye肩上,在那一刻他是全場 最自豪的傢伙。" -- Moving on 繼續前進 Despite his turnaround in the classroom, Stuckey couldn't make up for his poor sophomore year and failed to meet NCAA qualifications. That meant he could no longer consider the bigger schools like Washington or Washington State, which had an interest in the state's player of the year. 儘管他的學業成績突飛猛進,Stuckey還是沒辦法挽回他高二那年糟糕的成績,沒有達 到NCAA對於運動員的標準。那意味著他不再能考慮那幾間對獲得年度華盛頓州最佳高中籃 球員肯定的他有興趣的大學校,例如華盛頓或華盛頓州大等。 Stuckey chose Eastern Washington, but he had to sit out his first year. And the coaching staff was not allowed to work him out. So he woke up before classes and team practices to work on his game. Stuckey最後進了東華盛頓大學,但第一年他必須坐球監。而按照規定教練團也不能替 他安排訓練。所以他必須在上課和球隊集訓前進行自主練習。 "That's when we knew he would be a great player," Burns said. "That year, he literally got up at 6 or 7 in the morning, every day, shooting by himself." "那時候我們就發現了他有可能會成為一位出色的球員,"Burns說。"那年,他幾乎每 天都在6或7點就起床,自己拿球到球場練習投籃。" Academically, Stuckey became an All-America with a 3.4 GPA. 學業成績方面,Stuckey也拿下了平均3.4的高分。 And when he finally got on the court, the Eagles soared to third in the nation in scoring, fourth in field-goal percentage and sixth in assists. 而當他終於能夠上場後,老鷹的平均得分進步到全國第三,平均命中率和助攻則分別 進步到第四和第六。 Many thought Rodney would bolt to a bigger school, but he didn't. 很多人都認為Rodney會跳槽到更大的學校,但他沒有。 "He showed a tremendous amount of loyalty to his school," Burns said. "That's what makes him a unique kid; he's the kind of guy who is loyal to the people close to him. I could see him stay in a place like Detroit for a long time." "他展現了對學校的高度忠誠,"Burns說。"那是讓這孩子與眾不同的原因;他是那種 會對賞識他的人賣命的人。我可以預見他會在像底特律這樣的地方待上好一段時間。" -- Going pro 揮軍職業籃球界 After two seasons at Eastern, Stuckey decided to enter the NBA draft. Stuckey became the highest Big Sky Conference pick ever when the Pistons took him at No. 15 overall. Team president Joe Dumars said Stuckey would be an important piece off the bench right away, backing up Chauncey Billups and Richard Hamilton. 在東華盛頓打了兩個球季後,Stuckey決定投身NBA選秀會。當活塞以第15順位挑選 Stuckey後,他成為了大空聯盟有史以來在選秀會上最高順位中選的球員。球隊總管老喬說 Stuckey會立刻成為板凳席上的重要的一員,專職槍蜥和RIP的替補。 In summer-league play in Las Vegas, Stuckey was impressive, averaging 19 points in the team's first four games and displaying an ability to drive the lane and go up strong. 在拉斯維加斯舉行的夏季聯盟中,Stuckey的表現非常搶眼,他在球隊前四場比賽中平 均攻得19分而且展現了切入禁區強行取分的能力。 Pistons coach Flip Saunders said the biggest challenge for Stuckey is simply " being a rookie and getting your ass kicked a few nights and coming back." 活塞教練老桑說Stuckey最大的考驗很簡單,不過就是"做好一個當菜鳥的心理準備, 在某幾個晚上碰一鼻子灰,但別忘了要打起精神繼續努力。" His game, that's already there. 他已經做好萬全的準備了。 "He's extremely coachable," Saunders said. "He can get to the basket probably better than anyone we've had since I've been here. And when I say that, I mean getting here quick, just one or two dribbles and getting there really quick. ... He lets things happen, but then he has the ability late to take some things over." "他是非常受教的球員,"老桑說。"他是自我加入活塞後我們看過可能比隊上任何一個 人都還善於切入取分的人。而我這麼說,意思是他可以很快就切到籃下,只要運一兩次球 就到了。...他會觀望,但在關鍵時刻他有能力接管比賽。" Stuckey still is turnover-prone, needs to improve his decision making and learn to play NBA defense. Stuckey仍有容易失誤的毛病,他需要加強決策能力並學習NBA等級的防守。 "He knows he has to work hard, and he will," Burns said. "He knows what he has to improve upon, and he will." "他知道他必須努力,而他也願意這麼做,"Burns說。"他知道哪些是他需要加強的部 份,而他也會盡力去改。" And speaking for his 13-strong makeshift family, McElhinney said Stuckey will surprise even those in Detroit who have high hopes for the rookie. 而代表他多達13個成員的大家庭發言的McElhinney表示Stuckey的表現將會讓活塞那些 對於新秀已經抱持高度希望的人感到驚艷。 "I always said to Rodney, 'You exceed my expectations,' " she said. "When he turns his mind to something like he did with his classes before senior year and when he went to Eastern and focused on academics and when he decided to declare (for the) draft, he has this amazing ability to focus and shut everything else out. And he doesn't ever lose his personality, doesn't lose his humble, caring, warm personality." "我總告訴Rodney,'你超越了我的期望,'"她說。"當他用他在四年級前對待課堂和他 到東華盛頓大學後專注於課業以及當他決定參加選秀會的方式去對待事情,他就有驚人的 注意力,可以把每件事都做到最好。而雖然表現優異,但他謙遜、善解、親切的個性卻從 未改變。" Spoken like a true mother. 她說話的方式就像是他親生母親一樣。 -- ※ 發信站: 批踢踢實業坊(ptt.cc) ◆ From: 210.241.111.125

07/20 19:09, , 1F
太棒啦!
07/20 19:09, 1F

07/20 19:18, , 2F
推○(* ̄︶ ̄*)○
07/20 19:18, 2F

07/20 19:32, , 3F
推推推推推~~~~
07/20 19:32, 3F

07/20 20:57, , 4F
快點帶來活力吧!!!
07/20 20:57, 4F

07/20 21:16, , 5F
優文大推!
07/20 21:16, 5F

07/20 21:27, , 6F
Diane McElhinney的舉動和作為真的很感人
07/20 21:27, 6F

07/20 21:34, , 7F
很讓人動容的文章:)
07/20 21:34, 7F

07/20 22:11, , 8F
感動人心的故事!
07/20 22:11, 8F

07/20 22:33, , 9F
今年的新秀我都很喜歡:)
07/20 22:33, 9F

07/20 22:45, , 10F
Rodney加油!!
07/20 22:45, 10F

07/20 22:58, , 11F
標題會不會是:擁有一個像他那樣的家庭?
07/20 22:58, 11F

07/20 22:59, , 12F
感覺上像在看Slam
07/20 22:59, 12F

07/20 23:37, , 13F
推~
07/20 23:37, 13F

07/21 06:27, , 14F
07/21 06:27, 14F

07/21 07:46, , 15F
07/21 07:46, 15F

07/21 08:22, , 16F
07/21 08:22, 16F

07/21 09:37, , 17F
推~~
07/21 09:37, 17F

07/21 09:58, , 18F
07/21 09:58, 18F

07/21 11:14, , 19F
也太感人了吧...
07/21 11:14, 19F

07/22 03:18, , 20F
好感動唷,也感謝大大翻譯^^
07/22 03:18, 20F

07/22 12:53, , 21F
大推感人文章
07/22 12:53, 21F

07/23 12:51, , 22F
嗚嗚
07/23 12:51, 22F

07/23 14:10, , 23F
推 真的很感人的一篇文章!!
07/23 14:10, 23F

07/23 14:23, , 24F
RodneyStucky少了一個e 是Stuckey XDDDDDD
07/23 14:23, 24F

07/24 00:22, , 25F
因為id最長只能是12字元吧~
07/24 00:22, 25F
※ 編輯: kerrys 來自: 210.241.111.125 (07/24 13:10)

12/11 04:53, 5年前 , 26F
12/11 04:53, 26F

04/19 21:12, 5年前 , 27F
//daxiv.com http://yaxiv.com
04/19 21:12, 27F

04/20 02:36, 5年前 , 28F
//yaxiv.com https://moxox.com
04/20 02:36, 28F
文章代碼(AID): #16e8tp5n (Pistons)