[外電] C'mon, admit it: Praise of Saunders …

看板Pistons作者 (台北不是我的家)時間17年前 (2007/05/14 18:56), 編輯推噓10(1004)
留言14則, 13人參與, 最新討論串1/1
原文出處: http://myurl.com.tw/f0r5 -- CHICAGO -- So you think you know everything about the Pistons, huh? You know that Rasheed Wallace's middle name is Abdul, and Tayshaun Prince has a wingspan of 7 feet 2 inches. 芝加哥訊 -- 你認為你了解活塞所有大小事了嗎,哼?你知道溪蛙的中名是阿布都, 而小王子雙臂翼展長達7呎2吋嗎? Well, here is something you didn't know. 嗯,這裡還有一件你不知道的事。 The Pistons have a head coach. 活塞有一位總教練。 Yes! It's true. His name is Flip Saunders. You have probably seen him in front of the Pistons' bench. You might have heard people blame him for last year's playoff loss to the Miami Heat. You might even have complained about him yourself. 是的!這是真的。他的名字叫做Flip Saunders。你可能在活塞板凳席前面看過他。你 可能聽過有人因為去年季後賽輸給邁阿密熱火而怪罪他。甚至你自己就曾抱怨過他。 What you have probably not done is given him credit. That's OK. He's getting it from a higher authority. 你可能不曾做過的是給他一點鼓勵。那沒關係。他得到了高層人士的稱讚。 "He has adapted to these players, this culture," said Joe Dumars, whose opinion is the only one that really matters. "He understands the personnel better, so he is able to deal with it better. He knows when a guy is tired. He knows if he needs to come out of a game if he's rattled. He is empowered this year to do it . And that comes with being here for a year, going through last year and now coming back and saying, 'OK. I understand better.' " "他已經適應了這些球員和這裡的文化,"老喬說,老喬的意見才是真正唯一值得在意 的。"他更了解全體人員了,所以他可以處理得更好。當一個球員疲倦時他會知道。他會知 道一個球員的表現是否已經開始慌亂,是否該把他換下場休息。他今年已經能夠做到這樣 。那是他待在這裡一年所得到的經驗,經過了去年,他現在可以大聲地說,'好,我更了解 大家了。'" And what about X's and O's? 那戰術方面呢? "Well, he's known for that," Dumars said. "That is kind of his calling card." "嗯,他有一定的素養,"老喬說。"那有點像是他的名片。" Dumars fired Rick Carlisle after two years, with little public warning. He fired Larry Brown after two years, mostly because Brown almost begged to be fired. Saunders will last beyond this, his second year, because he brings similar coaching chops to Carlisle and Brown, but without any of the personal animosity. It is almost impossible not to get along with the guy -- though, on occasion, Rasheed Wallace has tried. 因為少數輿論的警告,老喬在卡帥執教兩年後火了他。他在老布朗執教兩年後火了他 ,主要是老布朗自找的。老桑將會待上更久的時間,他的第二年,因為他帶給球隊類似於 卡帥和老布朗的成績,但卻沒有任何私人的恩怨存在。要跟他不和睦相處幾乎是不可能的 事 -- 雖然,溪蛙曾經這樣試過。 Within the Pistons organization, there is almost universal praise for Saunders. The coach has shown the Pistons why he lasted a decade in Minnesota with slightly above-average talent. He gets the most out of his teams. He never makes a spectacle of himself. 在活塞球團內部,對於老桑幾乎是一致的讚賞及認同。這個教練已經向活塞展現了為 什麼他可以在球隊天份只比平均高出一點點的情況下還能在明尼蘇達待上十年。他讓他的 球隊發揮了最大的潛力。他從不曾讓自己出洋相。 And he manages to win while integrating young players into his lineup, one of the hardest tasks in pro coaching. Carlos Delfino and Jason Maxiell have become important contributors under Saunders, and Amir Johnson is expected to be next. 而且他在年輕球員融入陣容的同時還能幫助球隊獲勝,這是職業教練最難完成的任務 之一。C.Delfino和J.Maxiell在老桑調教下已經成為了重要的替補球員,而A.Johnson也可 望成為下一個板凳殺手。 "Absolutely, I have no complaints with personnel issues," Dumars said. "He is probably the most accommodating, adaptive coach that I've dealt with in terms of personnel and the way he deals with people." 我對他在處理人事問題部份完全沒有不滿之處,"老喬說。"以人事問題及他和人們相 處的方面來說,他可能是我接觸過最親切也最能適時做出調整的教練。" Saunders, like most coaches, is on edge for games. The Pistons are famously loose. Earlier in the playoffs, I asked him if he had gotten used to his team's cool nature. He said he would probably never be totally used to it, but he had accepted it. 就像大部分的教練,老桑對於球賽容易感到緊張不安。而活塞則是出了名的沉著鎮靜 的。在季後賽早些時候,我問他是否已經習慣他的球隊冷靜的天性。他說他可能永遠都無 法完全習慣,但他已經接受了。 There is a perception that Saunders has simply maintained the Pistons' excellence -- he vacuums the living room and pays the mortgage on time, but he didn't build the house. The truth is that in professional sports, you can't coast into contention. Saunders has made some dramatic changes.   有一種看法是老桑只不過是維持了活塞的卓越 -- 他清空了客廳,準時付了貸款,但 他不是蓋房子的人。在職業運動的實情是,你不能毫不費力地成為有競爭力的球隊。老桑 已經做了某些巨大的改變。 In two years under Brown, the Pistons did not play one possession of zone defense. Brown was a man-to-man ... uh, man. Saunders installed his zone before he settled into his office. 在老布朗執教的兩年,活塞沒有在任何攻防間採用區域防守。老布朗堅持使用人盯人 的防守方式...嗯哼,老兄。老桑在進駐辦公室前就開始灌輸大家他的區域防守觀念。 Saunders calls his defense a "hyperbolic paraboloid transitional floating zone, " which is also where you end up when you listen to too much Pink Floyd. 老桑說他的防守是一個"雙曲線拋物面的變遷浮動空間,"這聽起來就像你聽了太多心 理學宗師佛洛伊德的理論一樣,會讓人霧煞煞。 Essentially, the HPTFZ is a matchup zone, which means it combines elements of man-to-man defense with zone principles. And though fans often view Saunders as soft, the zone is proof he sticks by his beliefs. Players instinctively prefer man-to-man defense, and the Pistons did not play the zone particularly well in Saunders' first season. But rather than scrap it, he emphasized it more. 本質上,這套HPTFZ是一種區域帶盯人防守,意味著在區域防守基調中加入人盯人的元 素。儘管球迷們總認為老桑很軟弱,這套HPTFZ仍足以證明他還是很堅持自己的信念。球員 本能上一定會比較喜歡人盯人防守,而老桑執教的第一個球季活塞在區域防守方面表現並 不是特別出色。但他並未放棄,反而更加強調其重要性。 "Zone is all about communication," Tayshaun Prince said. "We didn't do a good job with the zone last year. We worked on it a lot this year. It's hard to keep those (Bulls) in front of us, being so fast. The zone has helped us a lot in this series." "區域防守要守得好首重溝通,"小王子說。"我們去年區域防守守得不好。我們今年更 常使用區域防守。要把公牛擋在我們前面是件困難的事,因為他們的速度飛快。區域防守 確實在這個系列賽中幫助我們許多。" Last year, Saunders helped forge an offense of stunning efficiency despite a starting lineup that had one player, Ben Wallace, who could barely shoot. 去年,老桑讓活塞展現了令人驚訝的進攻效率,儘管先發陣容中有一位球員,班蛙, 幾乎沒有任何投射能力。 This year, with Chris Webber in Wallace's place, Saunders has five unselfish, talented and versatile players. For a coach with this kind of offensive mind, this is almost unfair. It's like giving Bobby Fischer three queens. 今年威爸取代了班蛙,老桑擁有五位不自私,充滿天份而且多才多藝的球員。對一位 像這樣擅長組織進攻的教練來說,這幾乎是不公平的。這就像是給B.Fischer三枚皇后。 (譯按:Fischer為天才西洋棋手,相關資料請見:http://0rz.tw/f12DX) Will it be enough for the Pistons' fourth championship? Nobody knows. That title was supposed to come last year, after the Pistons won 64 regular-season games. And when it didn't, Saunders got much of the blame. 這樣就足以讓活塞拿下第四座總冠軍嗎?沒有人知道。那冠軍原本被預期去年就可以 奪下的,因為活塞在例行賽拿下了隊史新高的64勝。所以當活塞未能贏得總冠軍,老桑得 到的評論貶大於褒。 But look at it this way: In 2005, the Pistons lost to the eventual champion Spurs in seven games. In 2006, they lost to the eventual champion Heat in six games. So 2006 was not the colossal failure it was made out to be. 但請你用這樣的角度看:'05年,活塞與最終冠軍隊伍馬刺鏖戰七場後讓出了冠軍盃。 '06年,他們一樣在六場比賽後才輸給了最後拿下冠軍的熱火。所以'06年的結果並不像大 家原本想的那麼糟,是吧? Saunders will never be confused with Vince Lombardi or even Chuck Daly. His personality fits him as snugly as his suits. He peppers his interviews with coach speak like "we did some positive things" and "your greatest strength is your greatest weakness." 大家絕不會把老桑和V.Lombardi(著名美式足球教練,曾指導綠彎包裝人隊贏得兩屆超 級盃冠軍。)或甚至是C.Daly搞混。他的個性就如同他的衣服一樣適合他。接受訪問時,他 會說那種標準的教練式說法,例如"我們有些事做得不錯"和"你的優勢也是你的致命傷"之 類的話。 But he has done an excellent job in difficult circumstances. Yes, coaching the Pistons can be difficult. I mean, it's not as hard as coaching the Grizzlies. But it is harder than it seems. In the minds of many people -- maybe even some players -- anything the Pistons accomplish is the players' doing, while anything that goes wrong is Flip's fault. 但他在困境中已經做到一件了不起的事。是的,指導活塞是件困難的事。我的意思是 ,那不像執灰熊教鞭般困難。但那比看起來還要困難一些。在許多人心中 -- 或甚至在部 分球員心中 -- 活塞所有的成就都是球員的功勞,而活塞表現不好則是老桑的問題。 He could complain about it. He does not. 他可以抱怨,但他沒有。 "That was one of the things that Flip talked to me about when I talked to him about this job," Dumars said. "He said, 'I welcome the challenge of coming here and following Rick Carlisle and Larry Brown.' He said, 'I'm not shying away from it. I don't mind.' 那是當我和老桑談論工作時他告訴我的事情之一。"老喬說。"他說,'我樂意接受來到 這裡所需面臨的挑戰,並在卡帥和老布朗接連離開後接下教練職務。'他說,'我不會迴避 ,也不會在意。'" "That was important to me. Because when you have two very successful coaches like Rick Carlisle and Larry Brown, that next coach coming here can't be afraid to step in those shoes." "那對我來說很重要。因為當前任教練是優秀如卡帥和老布朗之流的人物,接下來的教 練絕不能害怕被拿來做比較。" -- ※ 發信站: 批踢踢實業坊(ptt.cc) ◆ From: 222.250.21.158

05/14 19:03, , 1F
辛苦了~ 推~
05/14 19:03, 1F

05/14 19:09, , 2F
推~~
05/14 19:09, 2F

05/14 19:11, , 3F
推!
05/14 19:11, 3F

05/14 19:22, , 4F
推推 老桑繼續加油吧~~~
05/14 19:22, 4F

05/14 19:31, , 5F
老桑加油喔,今年要帶活塞拿下失去的冠軍
05/14 19:31, 5F

05/14 19:37, , 6F
05/14 19:37, 6F

05/14 20:52, , 7F
推老桑!!!
05/14 20:52, 7F
※ 編輯: kerrys 來自: 222.250.35.173 (05/14 21:58)

05/14 22:33, , 8F
老桑證明你自己吧XDDD 推
05/14 22:33, 8F

05/14 23:28, , 9F
老桑加油! 我也覺得他該得到一些肯定
05/14 23:28, 9F

05/15 00:16, , 10F
老桑 gogogo~y
05/15 00:16, 10F

05/15 02:16, , 11F
with little public warning 應該是指沒有多少人事先預料到
05/15 02:16, 11F