[外電] Joe D's reconstruction company

看板Pistons作者 (台北不是我的家)時間18年前 (2006/02/05 12:38), 編輯推噓12(1200)
留言12則, 11人參與, 最新討論串1/1
原文出處: http://0rz.net/e211H -- AUBURN HILLS -- There must be days when Pistons president Joe Dumars looks out from his suite at The Palace, in the din of yet another sellout crowd, his basketball team the absolute scourge of the NBA on the court and the toast of it off the court, and thinks, "No way this can be happening." 奧本山訊 -- 已經有一段時間了,活塞總管J.Dumars坐在他於奧本山宮殿的包廂往外 看著一場又一場球票售罄的比賽,一面享受滿場球迷為活塞加油的叫囂聲,一面看著他那 支在球場上是其他球隊夢靨,在場外廣受球迷歡迎的活塞隊打球,心裡一面想著"這真是太 神奇了,傑克。" Two years ago, the Pistons were champions. Last year, they fell one game short. Today, they are 38-6 and marching steadfastly toward a third straight NBA Finals appearance. 活塞於兩年前贏得總冠軍,去年則只差一場就能完成連霸。現在他們戰績來到38勝6敗 ,穩穩地走在連續3年揮軍總冠軍賽的路上。 The Pistons are a model of efficiency, the league standard in terms of team building, salary-cap management, marketing and community service. 活塞是高效率的典範,是聯盟其他球隊在球隊重建、薪資上限管理、行銷及社區服務 等方面的模範。 "I have spent a great portion of my career trying to define and refine a system where a well-managed team can do well without regard to market size," NBA commissioner David Stern said in a telephone interview. "That is done through the draft, through trades, through free-agent signings and through cap management. Detroit, under (owner) Bill Davidson, Joe Dumars and (Palace Sports and Entertainment president) Tom Wilson, has been a poster child for that approach." NBA理事長D.Stern在接受電話訪問時表示"我已經花了我職業生涯大半部分的時間試著 藉由完善的選秀、交易、自由球員簽約及團隊薪資上限制度去規劃和推動一個能讓管理良 好的球隊可以不受市場大小限制而有出色表現的大環境。而底特律活塞在老闆B.Davidson 、J.Dumars及宮殿運動娛樂事業總管T.Wilson的帶領下已經成為一支足以為其他球隊學習 對象的榜樣。 Again, Dumars has to pinch himself. Dumars必須再一次捏自己一把,才能確定自己並不是在作夢。 Less than six years ago, none of this seemed remotely possible. 不到6年前,這些成就看來還遙不可及。 -- Road less traveled 重建之路 Dumars retired after a glorious 14-year playing career in 1999. His last game was the deciding Game 5 of a first-round playoff series against the Atlanta Hawks, played in front of a small crowd, in a dank college gym outside Atlanta (Philips Arena was being constructed). Dumars結束了燦爛的14年球員生涯後於'99年退休,他最後一場比賽是在決定球隊能否 突破老鷹,晉級季後賽第二輪的第一輪第5場比賽,該場比賽在亞特蘭大外某個大學一個潮 濕的體育館所進行,觀看球迷為數不多。(老鷹主場飛利浦體育館當時正在興建) Amidst reports of heavy partying by several of his teammates the night before, the favored Pistons fell flat, 87-75. 趁著中場報導時好幾位Dumars的隊友為他舉辦了盛大的退休踐別會,而原先被看好能 晉級的活塞最終卻以75比87輸掉該場比賽。 "That gave me some insight, right there," Dumars said. "I had been through the days of totally unselfish teams (with his Bad Boys of the late 1980s and early 1990s), where winning is the only priority, to the selfish, individual, I-gotta-get-mine mentality. I saw how that evolved. Dumars說"待在這支球隊增長了我的見識。我在這支完全不自私的球隊待了好長一段日 子(活塞在'80年代後期、'90年代初期是人見人怕的Bad Boys),相對於自私、個人、我要 有足夠的表現空間等心態,贏球是隊上每個人唯一的目標,我親眼看著這樣不自私的打球 方式在這支球隊根深蒂固。" "I remember when I took this job, I told Mr. Davidson, 'We have to get back to the mentality of the team comes before anything else.'?" "我記得當我接下這工作時,我告訴Davidson'我們必須重建球隊表現優先於任何個人 表現的團隊合作心態。'?" But the deck appeared stacked against him when he took over basketball operations the summer of 2000. The team had just been swept out of the first round of the playoffs by Miami, and was operating under interim coach George Irvine. 不過當他在'00年夏天接管籃球事務時立即就感受到橫亙面前的阻礙,活塞該年季後賽 在代理總教練G.Irvine的帶領下,第一輪就被邁阿密熱火掃地出門。 Grant Hill, the team's franchise player, was a free agent. Less than two months after Dumars took over, Hill informed him he was going to Orlando. 球隊陣中的超級巨星G.Hill當時剛好成為自由球員,在Dumars接掌活塞2個月不到, Hill就告訴他說他想到奧蘭多另求發展。 On the Pistons payroll at the time were the albatross-like contracts of Lindsey Hunter (owed $13 million at the time), Loy Vaught ($15 million), Christian Laettner ($6 million), Jud Buechler ($12 million) and Eric Montross ($10 million). 當時活塞的薪水冊上還擺著獵人(總值1千3百萬)、L.Vaught(1千5百萬)、C.Laettner( 6百萬)、J.Buechler(1千2百萬)及E.Montross(1千萬)等人的大爛約。 Somehow that summer, from that tablet, Dumars began forging the foundation of a championship team. 就在那個暑假,Dumars一步一步開始打造起一支冠軍隊的基礎。 It started with arranging a sign-and-trade for Hill, which brought Ben Wallace and Chucky Atkins. He got Dallas to take Vaught and Laettner and Milwaukee to take Hunter, creating the cap space he needed to start building a team. 那從Hill即簽即換開始,為球隊帶來班蛙和C.Atkins。他將Vaught、Laettner送至達 拉斯小牛,將獵人送至密爾瓦基,創造了他打造球隊所需的薪資空間。 "Joe is a special guy," said Grizzlies coach Mike Fratello, who has helped build playoff teams in Atlanta and Cleveland. "He's blessed with great ability to understand what great, championship teams are made of, the chemical balance, so to speak. 曾幫助亞特蘭大和克里夫蘭打造季後賽球隊的現任灰熊教練M.Fratello說"Dumars是一 個特別的人,他很幸運擁有卓越的能力去了解一支偉大的冠軍球隊該如何打造,該有怎樣 的化學效應,好比說。" "I got the chance to talk to him at that time about how he was going about building the team, and he had a game plan. He had it all mapped out." "我有次有機會和他交談,向他討教如何打造一支球隊。他有完善的球隊比賽策略,且 是事先就規劃好的。" But it was a different kind of map. Dumars wasn't interested in using any of the time-worn formulas. 但那是一個與眾不同的計畫,因為Dumars對於任何陳腔濫調的公式、準則都沒興趣。 "I just thought that keeping the status quo, doing it the way it had been done the last 30 years, that meant that you got in a long line with everybody else," Dumars said. "And you wait and you hope over a 20-year period that your number would come up and you'd be lucky enough to win. Dumars說"我只是認為持續現狀,持續過去30年人們在做的事,意思是你要跟隨每個人 走過的路,等待,期待個20年,看哪天運氣來了,運氣好就能獲得勝利。" "I just thought the status quo was a mundane, boring way to go about it. I felt like there were different ways to have success." "我只是認為現狀是一種世俗、令人厭倦的方法,應該還有其他的方法能追求成功。" The book on team-building at that time said you had to get two superstars and then fill in your roster around them. The superstars ate up the bulk of your cap space and you tied yourself to them and hoped it would float. 當時打造冠軍隊的準則是你必須延攬2名超級巨星入隊,再以他們為中心在球員名單填 上其他球員。這2名超級巨星會吃掉球隊大部分的薪資空間,你把自己全部的希望都賭在他 們身上,期待他們帶領球隊奪冠。 Dumars knew that wasn't going to work, especially in his market. Too many losing years, too much fan apathy at that time -- superstars weren't lining up to come to Detroit. Dumars知道那樣做並不會奏效,尤其是對他那支小市場球隊而言。當時球隊失敗太多 年了,很多球迷都選擇冷眼旁觀 -- 根本不會有超級巨星願意到底特律為活塞效力。 Dumars had to write his own book. Dumars必須用他自己的方法走自己的路。 "What impresses me about Joe, he built that team and he didn't do it with known quantities," said Pacers CEO Donnie Walsh, who has built title-contending teams in two different eras. "He has real insight into players and how their talents would fit into the system he was trying to build. He built that team without what you would say were any real star players. That's tough to do." 在2個不同時期都打造了具有爭冠實力球隊的溜馬總管D.Walsh表示"Dumars給我的印象 是他並不是以已知的、一般的方式來打造球隊,他對於球員是否能融入他嘗試打造的系統 具有相當的洞察力,他打造了一支完全沒有任何超級巨星的冠軍隊,那真的很難辦到。" -- 'Joe understands team' Dumars了解球隊 Dumars didn't build the foundation on talent, he built it on character. He wanted a team that reflected the ideals of the city it played in -- tough, strong work ethic, show up and fight every night. Dumars並非以天份為訴求打造這隻球隊的基礎,而是以球員的特質為考量。他希望一 支可以反射出球隊所在城市精神的球隊 -- 艱硬、強壯的拼戰精神,每一晚的比賽都認真 地與對手搏鬥。 "It's going to sound simplistic, but you have to get good people," Dumars said. "Once you have that, anything is possible. People talk about the dynamics of sports, about bringing guys together to become a team -- I don't see how the people aspect doesn't become the biggest thing. Dumars說"這樣說聽來似乎太過單純了,但你確實得招攬一些好人入隊。一旦你做到了 ,任何事都有可能發生。人們談論運動動力學,關於把一些人組成一個隊伍 -- 我不看球 員的外觀,那並不是什麼大不了的事。 "Talent is obvious. You can see talent a mile away. You've got to get beyond that. You are talking about cohesive basketball and there is no sport that takes more cohesion than basketball. You have to be on the same page. Understand this, we have turned down some trades for some really good players because we felt personally they wouldn't fit with what we are doing here." "天份是很明顯的,你在一哩外就能看出一個人是否有天份。你必須跳脫這點,籃球是 講究團隊合作的比賽,沒有任何其他運動比籃球更注重團隊合作,球員們必須站在同一陣 線。因為了解了這點,我們拒絕交易來一些真的相當出色的球員,因為我們覺得他們的人 格特質和球隊所需的不符。" Understand this, too -- and Dumars is the first to admit it -- he got some breaks. 同時也因為了解了這點 -- Dumars頭一個跳出來承認 -- 他搞了些改變。 He had no idea Wallace would become such a dominant defender and the eventual face of the organization. Trades for me-first players like Allen Iverson fell through. Chris Webber turned down a maximum contract offer. 他沒想過溪蛙會成為一個如此具有主宰力的防守者及活塞奪冠的最後一塊拼圖。交易 來我最想要的球員例如A.Iverson成為泡影,C.Webber拒絕了一份最高額度的合約。 "For me to sit here and make it sound like everything we did was part of some master plan would be insincere," Dumars said. "We got some breaks. Some deals that we were looking at doing, that didn't happen, turned out to be incredible for us. You make mistakes. There was the Rodney White draft and Mateen Cleaves and some other stuff. Dumars說"對我來說,坐在這然後說我們做的每件事都是大師級的計畫的一部分,這太 虛偽了。我們做了一些破壞,一些我們期待發生的交易卻沒發生,那叫我們難以相信。你 可以犯錯,例如我們選秀會上選了R.White('01年第一輪第9順位)和M.Cleaves('00年第一 輪第14順位)之類的。" "Not everything has worked out perfectly, but enough has worked real well that we have become one of the elite teams in basketball." "不是每件事都可以做得很完美,不過已經有足夠的事做得相當好,所以我們已經成為 聯盟中的一級勁旅之一。" Dumars, mistakes and all, changed the culture of the organization. It started with Wallace, Rick Carlisle, Jerry Stackhouse, Corliss Williamson, Cliff Robinson and Michael Curry. It took a huge step forward when Chauncey Billups was signed and Stackhouse was traded for Richard Hamilton. Dumars的功過改變了這個組織的文化,從班蛙開始,R.Carlisle,J.Stackhouse,C. Williamson,C.Robinson到M.Curry,當槍蜥被簽下及以牛排屋向巫師換得RIP後活塞向前 邁進了一大步。 Add a brilliant late first-round draft pick in Tayshaun Prince, and Dumars' improbable three-team trade that landed Rasheed Wallace, and here we are. 增加了'02年第一輪後段(第23順位)挑進的小王子及Duamrs執行的不可思議的三隊交易 偷進溪蛙後,活塞成了現在這般風貌。 "Sitting back as a fan and watching Joe Dumars, he has an uncanny ability to see something in a player that relates to his particular system that other teams just don't see," Stern said. "Whether you are talking about a Ben Wallace or a Chauncey Billups or, I mean, name a player." Stern說"以一個球迷的角度旁觀Dumars的所作所為,他有超乎尋常的能力去分辨一個 球員是否具有符合他那特別系統所需的東西,而那是其他球隊都看不出來的。不管是班蛙 或槍蜥或誰,我的意思是,隨便一個球員。" The Pistons were in the lottery in 2000-01. Their record since is 246-126 -- better by far than the 12 other lottery teams from that season. Only five of those teams have winning records since 2001. '00-'01球季活塞還在樂透區,然而自該季後他們例行賽的戰績是246勝126敗,那比當 時其他12支在樂透區的球隊都還要好,而那12支球隊中更只有5隊自'01年後曾擊敗活塞。 "Joe understands team," said ESPN analyst Greg Anthony, who has been considered for general manager positions with several NBA teams recently. "Basketball is not about having the five best players. It's about having five players that play the best together. It's a puzzle. You have to know how to fit the pieces together and that's what Joe Dumars has been able to do better than anybody." 最近被好幾支球隊考慮要延攬為球隊總管的現任ESPN球評G.Anthony表示"Dumars很了 解球隊。打籃球不是非得要有5個最棒的球員,而是要5個一起打球能表現最出色的球員。 這是個謎,你必須知道如何將每一塊拼圖湊在一起,而這正是Dumars做得比任何人都還要 優秀的部分。" -- No end in sight Here's the scary part: 這是活塞令人害怕的部分: With the age of the core group of players, the mix of veterans and youth and the salary cap flexibility still intact, Dumars has the Pistons poised to be good for years to come. 看看核心陣容的球員年齡,他們融合了經驗豐富的老將及精力充沛的年輕小將,還有 很完整可供運用的薪資空間,Dumars讓球隊在未來幾年都還具有相當的競爭力。 "One thing I learned in sports is, you don't stay the same," Anthony said. "You either get better, or you get worse, as an athlete, a team and as an organization. Joe gets that. Anthony說"我從運動學到的一件事是你不能待在原地,不管是球員或組織,一定是不 進則退,而Dumars充分掌握了這個原則。" "You think about his moves, people questioned the firing of Rick Carlisle, but he got Larry Brown and took his team to another level. Then when Brown left, he went out and got Flip Saunders, the guy he needed to take his team to an even higher level. "你想想他做的異動,人們質疑他火掉R.Carlisle,但他雇用L.Brown並把球隊帶到另 一個境界。Brown走了之後,他找來老桑,這個有能力帶領他的球隊到一個更高等級的教練 。" "The key is, the players have been young enough where they still hadn't played their best basketball. Chauncey and Rip are having career years. Rasheed and Ben are just 31. And Tayshaun might be the most talented of all of them. He's nowhere near the player he's going to be in three years. There is going to come a point where Tayshaun becomes the (main) guy." "關鍵在於球員們還年輕,他們的籃球潛力還沒完全發揮出來。槍蜥和RIP正值職業生 涯的黃金時期,雙蛙才31歲,而小王子可能是先發五人裡面最有天份,他在邁入黃金時期 前這3年哪都不會去,到時他會成為活塞的主力球員。" Which is why Dumars locked Prince into a six-year deal earlier this season. Hamilton is on the books through 2010. Rasheed Wallace is here through 2008-09. Billups can opt out of his contract after next season. 這就是Dumars在季初以一張6年長的合約綁住小王子的原因,RIP在'10年都會在這,溪 蛙會在這待到'08-'09球季結束,槍蜥下個球季結束前都不能行使選擇權跳脫合約。 This summer, Ben Wallace will become a free agent, but Dumars already has structured his payroll in a way that will enable the team to make Wallace the richest Pistons player ever. 今夏班蛙將成為自由球員,不過Dumars已經準備好足夠的薪資空間讓他成為活塞有史 以來最富有的球員。 "Moves that we made two years ago (trading Williamson, not re-signing Mehmet Okur) we made because we knew this day was coming," Dumars said. "We are prepared for this. We didn't just wake up six months ago and say, 'Uh-oh, Ben's going to be a free agent.'?" Dumars說"我們在2年前做的異動(交易掉Williamson,未與歐酷兒續約)是因為知道這 一天會來臨,我們為此做準備。我們並不是在6個月前才突然驚覺說'唔喔~班蛙快成為自由 球員啦?'" This proactive management style has won admiration from a master of proactive management, Stern. 這樣積極主動的管理風格已經贏得積極主動管理大師Stern的讚賞。 "It's about managing for the future," he said. "It's thinking not just about how many wins you may get this year, but where are you going to be three or four years out. It's understanding that the success you may have now will force you to make some adjustments financially down the road. The reward for the success of your players is that they may cost you some more money. 他說"這是未來管理的趨勢,那不只在乎到今年球隊可能能贏得多少場球賽,而是連未 來3、4年都考慮進去了。那是了解現在的成功可能一路上都會迫使你做一些財務上的調整 ,而你的球員對於成功所要求的回饋可能會讓你再多花一些錢。" "You have to manage ahead, and Detroit has done that." "你必須連未來都一起考慮進去,而活塞確實做到如此。" The Pistons, though their $57 million payroll is over the cap, were about $5 million under the luxury cap threshold this season. If all goes as planned, they could have a $9 million cushion next summer. 儘管活塞的團隊薪資5千7百萬超過了薪資上限,不過還低於豪華稅開徵的門檻約5百萬 。如果一切都照著計劃走,明年夏天他們將能擁有900萬的薪資空間可供運用。 That kind of financial flexibility on a championship-contending team is almost unheard of these days. Dumars says it's all a product of the culture here. 一支具有冠軍實力的球隊還能有這樣的財務靈活度近來簡直聞所未聞,Dumars表示那 是汽車城文化下的產物。 "We have created such a culture of unselfishness here, nothing is bigger than the team," Dumars said. Dumars說"我們已經在這建立了不自私的文化,沒有什麼比球隊更重要的。" "It's sort of feeding off itself now. When people come here, they expect to fit into a system. They know we don't have that new wave, individual mentality. They know we don't tolerate that here. So, if you choose to come here, when you step in here, you know what the law of the land is." "這有點像是反饋的機制,當球員加入球隊,他們期盼能融入這個體系。他們知道我們 不耍什麼新花樣,也非個人主義掛帥。他們知道我們不能容忍那樣的東西,所以如果你選 擇加入球隊,一旦你加入了,你就該知道這裡的規矩。" That law extends into contract negotiating, as well. 那規矩也延伸至合約的談判上。 "We've been able to negotiate with guys because they understand this is something special and they want to be a part of it," Dumars said. "Maybe they could squeeze a few dollars more out of somebody else, but they realize that the few extra dollars they may get won't trump what's going on here." Dumars說"我們已經能跟這些球員交涉,因為他們知道這裡很特別,他們也都想成為其 中的一份子。也許他們能跟其他球隊簽下一張較大面額的合約,但他們也了解多領那些錢 並不會讓他們和在這裡一樣成功。" What's going on here is a phenomenon. Making a run at one of the best records in NBA history, shooting for a third straight Eastern Conference title, playing before sellout crowds at home, being one of the league's hottest road acts, hearing visiting crowds chant, "Deetroit Basketball" at every venue, with the security of knowing the window isn't closing any time soon -- if it's a dream, Dumars doesn't want to wake up. 這裡將發生奇蹟,活塞會寫下NBA史上前幾名的例行賽紀錄,瞄準連續第3年的東區冠 軍,在主場打還沒開打前門票就已售罄的比賽,成為聯盟中最火熱的客場殺手之一,聽到 觀眾席上傳來球迷的加油聲,在每個地方都聽到有人喊著"底特律籃球",並確信這情形短 時間內並不會有改變 -- 如果這是場夢,Dumars一點都不希望醒來。 "Let me enjoy this for a minute," he said. "Please." 他說"就讓我自我陶醉一下吧。" -- ※ 發信站: 批踢踢實業坊(ptt.cc) ◆ From: 222.250.136.156

02/05 22:06, , 1F
翻譯辛苦了~大推!
02/05 22:06, 1F

02/05 22:09, , 2F
辛苦啦! 真的很長 ^^
02/05 22:09, 2F

02/05 22:14, , 3F
謝謝大大的翻譯好文
02/05 22:14, 3F

02/05 22:25, , 4F
辛苦了!!!
02/05 22:25, 4F
※ 編輯: kerrys 來自: 222.250.2.65 (02/06 17:44)

02/06 17:54, , 5F
翻譯辛苦了 也是篇非常有價值的文章~
02/06 17:54, 5F

02/06 18:02, , 6F
翻譯辛苦了 推一個
02/06 18:02, 6F

02/06 18:46, , 7F
推!Dumars的確厲害
02/06 18:46, 7F

02/06 23:44, , 8F
翻譯辛苦了!推一個!
02/06 23:44, 8F