[P]美國國鳥振翅高飛

看板PCSH_93_303作者 (Just do it!)時間18年前 (2006/06/20 00:22), 編輯推噓0(000)
留言0則, 0人參與, 最新討論串1/1
Weighing up to 14 pounds, stsanding over three feet tall and with a seven-foot wingspan, bald eagles are the second largest species of raptor, or bird of prey, found in North America. Of course, the birds are most famous today for serving as America's symbol and offical seal, and its image can be seen in currency, architecture, corporate logos, stamps and so on.   白頭鷹的重量達十四磅,高度超過三英呎,擁有七英呎長的翼展,是北美洲 第二大的猛禽。當然,這種鳥類今天最為人所知的就是,牠是美國的象徵及官方 標誌,而且牠的形象出現在貨幣、建築物、公司標誌、郵票等等。 Although a U.S. citizen, I have to admit that I've found bald eagles to be a bit creepy. While I walked along a beach in the Alaskan twon of Homer, severl hundred of the large and powerful birds were starting at me. Of course I had never heard of bald eagles attacking people before, but I quickly moved along all the same.   雖然身為美國公民,我還是得承認我覺得白頭鷹有些嚇人。在阿拉斯加的荷馬 鎮上走著,身旁就有好幾百隻這種巨大又有力的鳥盯著我瞧。當然我從沒聽說白頭 鷹攻擊過人,不過還是趕緊繼續往前走。 American citizens didn't view bald eagles with much reverence either. Settlers viewed the eagles, like they did all predatory animals, as harmful competitors for fish and game, and as a danger to their livestock herds. Americans regularly shot, trapped and poisoned their national bird. Also, as human populations grew and settlers moved west, more and more of eagles prime habitat along lakes and rivers was destroyed.   美國公民對於白頭鷹也沒有多大的敬意。移民們將之視為魚類和獵物的強力競爭 者,對牲畜也是一大威脅。美國人經常射殺、以陷阱捕抓、毒害國鳥。另外,在越來 越多人移居西部的同時,有越來越多老鷹位於湖畔河邊的棲息地遭受破壞。 ---截錄於<地球村時尚美語 July 2004> -- ※ 發信站: 批踢踢實業坊(ptt.cc) ◆ From: 218.169.64.73
文章代碼(AID): #14biyi4t (PCSH_93_303)