[外電] A father's guiding hand

看板PACERS作者 ( ゜д ゜ )時間15年前 (2009/01/19 00:24), 編輯推噓19(1900)
留言19則, 19人參與, 最新討論串1/1
from IndyStar: http://www.indystar.com/article/20090118/SPORTS15/901180371/1088/SPORTS04 A father's guiding hand Danny Granger's dad made sure his three children grew up right, despite their surroundings by Bob Kravitz Posted: January 18, 2009 To understand the son, it's imperative to know the father. How the father--in this case Danny Granger Sr. -- raised three children by himself in a drug-ravaged neighborhood outside New Orleans. How all three of Senior's kids, including his NBA All-Star-to-be son, Danny, have become high achievers in their chosen professions. How his steady, stern hand, his tough love (really tough, at times) ensured that his kids would rise above the drug- and violence-addled chaos that visited their daily lives. 要瞭解兒子,得先瞭解他的父親。一位父親 -- Danny Granger Sr. 如何在紐奧良周圍毒 品氾濫的環境中,獨力拉拔三名孩子長大。而他的三名孩子,包括即將成為 NBA全明星的 Danny ,都在他們各自的領域上獲得了高成就。他穩定、嚴厲的手,以及固執的愛(有時 候真的很固執),確保了他的孩子們得以遠離他們日常生活周遭由藥物和暴力帶來的混亂 而安心成長。 "Don't get me wrong; I was mischievous," the Indiana Pacers swingman said the other day outside the team's locker room at Conseco Fieldhouse. He smiled. "But the things I did wrong never came close to anything like selling drugs or pulling a gun on somebody. And the reason for that was, I was afraid if I did, my dad would kill me. 「別誤會,我其實很頑皮。」這位 Indiana Pacers的搖擺人日前在 Conseco Fieldhouse 的更衣室外圍說道。他微笑:「但我做的壞事從來不到販賣毒品或拿槍射人那樣的程度。 理由是,我怕假如那樣作,我老爸會殺了我。」 "I could have gone the wrong way. Almost all of my friends did, the guys I grew up with. They ended up selling drugs, ended up in jail or were found dead. That was the neighborhood. That was how people felt like they needed to survive. They didn't have dads to keep them out of trouble. A lot of them had a grandmother who didn't pay too much attention, or a mother who was a crack-head. How's a kid supposed to overcome that by themselves? Getting out of that cycle is extremely hard. 「我可能差點就走上歧路。幾乎和我一起長大的所有朋友都是。他們最後要麼賣毒品,要 麼蹲苦牢,或是死於非命。那就是那樣的環境。那就是人們認為他們生存的方式。他們少 了能讓他們遠離問題的老爸。他們之中很大一部份只有不太關心的祖母,或是藥物成癮的 母親。一個孩子怎麼可能只靠自己來克服這些?要脫離這個圈圈是極度困難的。」 "I got a call about a month ago from a penitentiary in Texas, an old friend. We used to be best friends, but he got caught up in drugs, a heavy cocaine dealer and the feds were after him. He got into a drug deal that went bad, got shot 18 times. Now he's paralyzed from the waist down and he's doing a life sentence. 「一個月前,我接到一通從德州監獄打來的電話,是個老朋友。我們曾是最好的朋友,但 他深陷毒品的誘惑,成了賣古柯鹼的大藥頭,被聯邦探員盯上。有次交易被抓包了,他挨 了十八槍。現在他從腰部以下完全癱瘓,而他正在服終身徒刑。」 "But my dad wouldn't have it with his kids. It was academics and then, with me, it was basketball. That's what he pushed. We could be from that area, but we weren't going to be of that area." 「但我老爹不會讓這些發生在他的孩子身上。學業,而對我,還有籃球。這些是他帶給我 們的。我們是從那樣的環境出身,但我們不會變成那種環境的一分子。」 Specifically, Granger is from Metairie, La., just outside New Orleans, and it is by almost every account one of the most miserable, hopeless, dangerous places in this country. Senior had his own business rebuilding backhoes, forklifts and anything else those big, greasy hands could recondition, but still, the Granger family -- Senior and the three kids living together after the mother, Janice, left when Junior was 12 -- was stuck in the neighborhood. 具體而言,Granger 是從 Metairie, La.來的,就在 New Orleans外圍,而這裡幾乎是這 個國家裡頭最悲慘、絕望、危險的地方。Danny Granger Sr. 老爹的工作是修理耕耘機、 起重機,以及其他靠他那雙粗大、油膩的雙手能修理的東西,除此之外,Granger 一家-- Senior 和他的三個孩子,母親 Janice 於小 Danny 12歲時辭世--就住在這樣的地方。 "Wherever you've been, our neighborhood was worse," he said, laughing. "Most of the roads aren't even paved; just rocky gravel. Lots of run-down houses. You knew which houses were crack houses. My dad, before I'd ride my bike, he'd tell me, 'You're not riding down this street or this street' because they were so dangerous. We had train tracks that ran through the neighborhood, maybe 200 yards from my house, a small, grassy area, and people were always finding bodies there." 「無論你到哪裡,我們那兒一定還要更糟。」他笑著說道。「大部分的路甚至根本沒有鋪 ,只有碎石子。到處都是破爛房子。你知道哪些是好房子。我老爸,在我會騎腳踏車之前 ,就告訴我:『你不能騎這條街或那條街』,因為太危險了。有列車軌道會從我們社區穿 過,離我們家大概 200碼遠,一塊小小的草地,而總是會在那邊發現屍體。」 A successful family So how did Senior keep his kids on the straight and narrow? Consider: His other son, 21-year-old Scott, is a musician and backup singer for Alicia Keys and Jordin Sparks, and his 27-year-old daughter, Jamie, is an engineer living in Arizona. 老爹是如何讓他的小孩走在人生的正途上?想想:他的另一個兒子,21 歲的 Scott ,是 個音樂家,也是 Alicia Keys 和 Jordin Sparks 的後備歌手,而他 27 歲的女兒 Jamie ,是個工程師,住在亞利桑那。 Love. Discipline. Religion (the Grangers are Jehovah's Witnesses). Attention. A stern hand. Did we mention love? 愛。紀律。信仰(Granger 一家是耶和華見證者的信徒)。關心。嚴厲的手。我們有談到 愛對吧? The relationship is still strong, so strong that Senior and Junior continue to live in the same house in Carmel. Senior moved to Albuquerque, N.M., when Junior went to the University of New Mexico, and he has been with Junior since he came to the Pacers. The agreement has been that Senior would stick around until Junior got his first big contract -- he received it early this season -- plus there's the issue of Junior getting married this August. 他們彼此的關係是如此緊密,現在老爹還和小 Danny一起住在 Carmel 。當兒子就讀於新 墨西哥大學的時候,老爹搬到阿布奎基,而當兒子來到溜馬的時候,老爹也和他在一起。 老爹會待在兒子身邊,直到小 Danny拿到他第一份大合約--本季稍早已經拿到了--以及他 今年八月結婚成家為止。 Time for Pops to go. 是老爹該離去的時候了。 "I'm moving to a condo Downtown in the next month or so,'' Senior said. "It's going to be a little scary for me. I'll admit it. I've always had my kids around me." 「我下個月可能就會搬到城區的公寓去。」老爹說。「對我而言有點害怕。我承認。我總 是有孩子在我身邊陪我。」 Junior smiled. "Believe me, he'll be over a lot," he said. "But I won't mind it. I never really wanted him to leave. I like having him around, but I'm getting married, so, you know..." 小 Danny微笑說道:「相信我,他才不只這樣。但我不會介意。我從不希望他離開。我喜 歡他待在我身邊,但我快要結婚了,所以,你也知道…」 Yeah, you know... 是啊,你知道的… One day during Junior's childhood -- he was maybe 8 or 9 -- Senior had an idea. Instead of having his son play basketball all around the dangerous city, he figured he could better keep an eye on him by purchasing the land next to his house and building his own half-court. 在小 Danny小時候的某一天,大概是 8,9歲吧,老爹有個主意。與其讓他兒子在這個危險 的城市到處打籃球,他想到他可以買下隔壁的土地然後蓋自己的球場,這樣就可以看著兒 子。 He put up floodlights, the whole deal. That court at 805 S. Cumberland became the basketball center of the area. 他裝好照明燈,完工。這塊在 805 S. Cumberland 的球場成了這個區域的籃球中心。 Home-court advantage "We had rules," Senior said. "No cursing and no selling drugs, which meant no beepers allowed. If I heard a beeper go off, you were gone. And these guys used to police each other. I'd be in the window watching, there would be 20 waiting for winners, somebody would curse and somebody else would stop the game and say, 'Hey, Mr. Granger won't let us play over here if you start to curse.' 老爹說:「我們有規則。不准謾罵,不准賣藥,也就是說不准帶呼叫器。如果我聽到呼叫 器響,那你得離開。而這些傢伙們會彼此監視。我會在窗邊看,會有 20 個人等著,如果 有人叫罵,其他人會停止比賽,然後說『嘿,如果你罵人的話,Granger 老爹不會讓我們 在這兒玩球的。』」 "I remember one guy, he was maybe 12 years old, name was Clyde, his beeper went off. So I stopped the game, went up to him and said 'Clyde, what's with the beeper?' He said, 'Mr. G, we've got to make it some kind of way.' I told him, 'You know this is a dead end. I've done told you all that you can't do the drug activity on the court, or all you'll have to leave.' 「我記得一個傢伙,也許是 12 歲,叫做 Clyde,他的呼叫器響了。我停止球賽,走到他 面前說:『 Clyde,那呼叫器是怎麼回事?』他說:『老爹,我們都是這麼做的。』我告 訴他:『知道這是條死路。我已經告訴過你們,絕對不能把藥的事情帶來球場,所以你現 在能做的就是離開。』」 "About two months later, they found him with his face blown off." 「兩個月後,他們發現他的臉被打爛了。」 Junior shook his head, thinking about the most dangerous characters in the neighborhood coming to Mr. Granger's court, acting like perfect angels. 小 Danny搖搖頭,想到一些凶神惡煞來到老爹的球場上,都規矩得像是天使一樣。 "We had these guys, gold teeth, the whole thing, guys right out of prison," Junior said. "I had one old friend, Snake, he came out of prison, he came over to the courts after a few years away, and he knew the rules. There were certain things you could do and couldn't do. My dad had that kind of respect in the neighborhood." 小 Danny說:「我們那兒有些傢伙,鑲著金牙,剛出獄。我有個老朋友,Snake ,也剛從 監獄出來,幾年之後他來到我們球場,他知道規矩。有些事可以作,有些事不能作。我老 爹在街坊間就是受到這般的敬重。」 The court developed Junior's skills and his toughness. 這塊球場孕育了小 Danny的球技和韌性。 "One time I was playing, I got hit in the nose and it started bleeding. I ran inside the house. My dad yelled at me, 'When you want to be a man, you can go outside and start playing again,' '' Junior said. "So I sucked it up and finished playing. I played my dad one day, he got hit, chipped some teeth. Me and my uncle got into it and we had a fight. Happened all the time." 「有刺我打球的時候,我鼻子上挨打而開始流血。我跑進房子裡頭。老爹對我喊:『如果 你想當個男子漢,你得到外頭去繼續打球。』」小 Danny說。「所以我強忍著把球打完。 有天我和老爹一塊打球,他挨打,牙齒碎了幾顆。我和叔叔加入然後開始打架。這種事情 總是在發生。」 Respect in the neighborhood The stories of Senior's toughness are the stuff of legend around the Granger neighborhood. 老爹的強韌是圍繞在 Granger街坊的一個傳奇。 There was the time some gangbanger came to the Granger house uninvited, opened the door without knocking and insisted the family send out its then- 14-year-old daughter. When Senior caught wind of this, he chased the young man about half a mile and then worked him over. 有一次,一個小混混不請自來的跑到 Granger家,沒敲門就逕自開門,要脅他們交出當時 年方 14 的女兒。當老爹聽到消息,他追了那傢伙快半哩,然後把他解決掉。 "Nobody messes with my family!" Senior said. 「沒有人可以動我的家人!」老爹說道。 There was the time when a newcomer to the neighborhood made the mistake of stealing some of Senior's tools. The younger Granger brother, Scott, saw the perpetrator and pointed him out to Dad. Mr. Granger got out of his truck and approached the miscreant while the five friends surrounding him all scattered. Senior, using only his hands, administered a life lesson to the young felon. 有次一個社區的新住民犯了個錯,偷了老爹的工具。Granger 兄弟的弟弟,Scott ,看到 了犯人,向老爹通報。他衝出卡車,對付了那個壞蛋,當時那傢伙旁邊的五個朋友都嚇跑 了。老爹,憑著赤手空拳,給那壞胚子好好上了一課。 In an anarchic neighborhood, there were few rules, but one of them was, you don't mess with the Grangers. Even the gangbangers and the dealers knew that if you bothered with Danny, Scott or Jamie, Pops was going to get in the picture, and that meant trouble. 在這個無政府地帶,沒有什麼法律,但其中之一就是,別動 Granger的家人。即使是幫派 分子或是藥頭都知道,要是你敢動 Danny,Scott 或 Jamie,老爹就會跳出來,那就有大 麻煩了。 "My dad didn't have a weapon," Junior said. "He didn't need one." 小 Danny說:「我老爹沒有武器。他根本不需要。」 Far from it. He just wanted him to survive the neighborhood and move on to an academic career that would help him succeed in a better place. 不只如此。他只是希望他能在這個街坊生存下來,走向學術生涯,能幫助他在更好的地方 獲得成就。 See, Junior was an academic star -- a staple in gifted and talented classes -- long before anybody knew he could make it on the basketball floor. 看,小 Danny是個學業上的明星--屬於天才的那群--這是遠在任何人知道他能在籃球場上 成功之前的事情了。 Instead of attending one of the local high schools, all of which were athletic powerhouses, Danny, an extraordinary student, was sent to an academic magnet school with lesser athletic programs. 沒有進入當地以運動聞名的高中,小 Danny,一位出類拔萃的學生,被送到一所以學術聞 名的學校,沒有那麼多運動方面的課程。 "That was always my dad's focus: academics," Junior said. "He wanted me to play basketball, but he wasn't going to send me someplace because they had a better basketball team." 「那一直是我老爹的重點:學業。」小 Danny說。「他希望我打籃球,但他不想送我到其 他地方就只因為它們有較好的籃球隊。」 Academics came first It wasn't until high school that father and son started to think that maybe, just maybe, Junior could play at the next level, namely college. That's when Senior got a little bit overzealous, at least in Junior's mind. There were times after games, Junior would come home from a game dog-tired, and dad would turn on the court's floodlights. 直到高中時,老爹和兒子才開始想到,或許,只是或許,小 Danny可以在下一個層級,也 就是大學繼續打球。那也是老爹有點過度狂熱的時期,至少小 Danny心裡是這麼覺得。有 好幾次比賽後,小 Danny拖著賽後累得像條狗的身體回到家,而老爹打開了球場的照明燈 。 "Put your shoes on," he'd say. "We've got work to do." 「穿上球鞋。」他會說。「我們還有事要做。」 "I'm like, 'Dad, it's 1 in the morning. I've got school,' " Junior said. "We'd go out, maybe I'd missed a couple of shots during the game or made some move, he'd make me do drills. Meanwhile, in my neighborhood, people are just coming out at 1. The next day they'd see me at school, they'd be like, 'Man, what were you doing at 1 in the morning?' 'That's my daddy.' It was crazy. A little over the line at times." 「我像是,『爸,現在凌晨一點了,我還得上學。』」小 Danny說。「我們到外頭,也許 我會投丟幾個球或作些動作,而他就會要求我繼續訓練。同時,在我家附近,人們會出來 看。隔天當他們在學校看到我,他們的反應像是:『嘿,你們凌晨一點在搞啥啊?』『是 我老爹。』這太瘋狂了。有些時候是太過頭了點。」 Senior told the story a little differently. 老爹說的故事有點不太一樣。 "Danny told me people at school would laugh at him because we'd be out there at 3 and 4 in the morning and they'd laugh at him," Senior said. "But look who's laughing now." 「Danny 告訴我學校的人會笑他,因為我們會搞到凌晨三、四點。」老爹說。「看看現在 笑的人是誰吧。」 Junior didn't get many scholarship offers to play Division I basketball, although he was given the opportunity to attend and play hoops at prestigious Yale. He scored a 30 on his ACT. Senior wanted his kid to go there. Imagine, a kid from the neighborhood, graduating a prestigious Ivy League school. Junior had his misgivings -- "Whole time I was there, I didn't see another black person,'' he said -- and eventually he went to Bradley in Peoria, Ill. Later, he transferred to New Mexico, where he got his engineering degree and grew dramatically as a basketball player. 小 Danny並沒有獲得很多來自 Division I 的獎學金,不過他獲得了加入名校耶魯球隊的 機會。他在 ACT (註:American College Testing)獲得了 30 分。老爹希望他兒子能就讀 那裡。想想,一個從那種環境出身的小孩,從常春藤名校畢業。小 Danny有他的疑慮--「 當我在那兒的時候,我完全沒有看到其他的黑人。」他說--最後他選擇了 Bradley in Peoria, Ill.之後,他轉學到新墨西哥,他在那兒拿到了他的工程學學位,也戲劇性的成 長為一位籃球選手。 He has become more than a guy who scores lots of points on a losing team. He has become a leader, a guy who takes the ball on the final possession and makes things happen. 他已經成長茁壯,不只是一隻輸家隊伍中很會得分的傢伙而已。他已經成為領導者,能在 最後一次球權中接過球,讓奇蹟發生的那種人。 An All-Star whether the voters recognize him or not. 他已經是全明星水準,不管投票者承不承認。 "Oh, he'll be there," Senior said. "I've already made my arrangements." 「喔,他會去的。」老爹說。「我已經排好我的行程了。」 Question for the coaches who will decide whether to vote Danny Granger onto the Eastern Conference All-Star squad: Any of you guys want to tell Mr. Granger his kid didn't make it? 一個問題,給握有投票權,決定 Danny Granger能否成為東區全明星的教練們:你們中有 任何人想告訴 Granger老爹,他的兒子沒辦法成為全明星嗎? -- ※ 發信站: 批踢踢實業坊(ptt.cc) ◆ From: 140.112.125.84

01/19 00:35, , 1F
頭推! 謝翻! 全明星小葛!
01/19 00:35, 1F

01/19 00:39, , 2F
感謝翻譯!!
01/19 00:39, 2F

01/19 00:43, , 3F
推,感謝翻譯
01/19 00:43, 3F

01/19 00:54, , 4F
好猛的老爹
01/19 00:54, 4F

01/19 00:59, , 5F
謝翻,也謝老爹超酷!
01/19 00:59, 5F

01/19 01:32, , 6F
Danny老爹超酷的啊!
01/19 01:32, 6F

01/19 02:31, , 7F
感謝翻譯 小葛真的是資優生!!
01/19 02:31, 7F

01/19 07:17, , 8F
感謝翻譯
01/19 07:17, 8F

01/19 07:49, , 9F
推推
01/19 07:49, 9F

01/19 09:57, , 10F
在附註一下ACT的滿分是36分喔!
01/19 09:57, 10F

01/19 12:27, , 11F
推...真感人!!!
01/19 12:27, 11F

01/19 12:50, , 12F
推老爹 真男人!
01/19 12:50, 12F

01/19 13:06, , 13F
不推不行 !
01/19 13:06, 13F

01/19 14:43, , 14F
Danny老爹真男人!!
01/19 14:43, 14F

01/19 16:35, , 15F
支持小葛進明星賽!!!
01/19 16:35, 15F

01/19 18:02, , 16F
小葛!!!
01/19 18:02, 16F

01/19 19:55, , 17F
在紐澳良那個地方還可以完全不碰毒品 老丹尼真是太猛了
01/19 19:55, 17F

01/19 22:05, , 18F
大推!!感謝翻譯~Granger太帥了..
01/19 22:05, 18F
※ 編輯: pheather 來自: 140.112.125.84 (01/20 02:16)

01/20 12:45, , 19F
熱血......~
01/20 12:45, 19F
文章代碼(AID): #19SrUiLC (PACERS)