Miller's demand: another shot at title

看板PACERS作者 (瓶子)時間20年前 (2004/05/07 05:20), 編輯推噓6(600)
留言6則, 5人參與, 最新討論串1/1
這一篇翻出來,溜馬迷又要哭了。(呼叫翻譯高手了)^^ --- Miller's demand: another shot at title Bob Kravitz http://www.indystar.com/articles/5/144047-3155-158.html May 6, 2004 It was the summer of 2000, mere months after Reggie Miller and the Pacers came within two victories of an NBA title, and the team was being dismantled. Mark Jackson was following the free agent money to Toronto. Rik Smits was retiring. And then there was the final straw: Dale Davis being traded to Portland for a skinny kid named Jermaine O'Neal. Suddenly, Miller found himself alone, the last remaining vestige of a remarkable team, surrounded now by a bunch of 20-year-olds who were a couple of years away from accomplishing anything. "When I told him what we were doing, it really hit him hard because he was losing a lot of friends," Pacers CEO Donnie Walsh said. "I think he was like, 'Aw, man.' It hit him, 'I'm 37 and everybody else on this team is 21.' " That's when Miller made a conscious choice, a decision that has helped make the Pacers a championship contender less than four years later. He decided to not only stay here through the rebuilding, but to help the process by stepping aside and giving the young guys room to grow. He never demanded his minutes. He never required a certain number of shots. He never complained when his younger teammates were acting like less than complete professionals, even as Miller's personal window of opportunity was closing. At times, in fact, he was almost too deferential, sublimating his ego and his game while passing the ball, and the baton, to his teammates. Now, though, it's all paying off. Miller is eight victories from another Finals appearance. "I could have been a reluctant superstar and fought the transition," Miller said after Tuesday's practice. "But for this franchise to remain at the top, and it will once I'm gone, someone had to defer and step back. It happens in every walk of life." Not often in the NBA, he is told. Miller smiled. "Well, that's true," he said. "But I knew if I didn't step back and nurture and teach -- if I cried that I wanted the ball and demanded my shots -- we weren't going anywhere. I could have butted heads with Jermaine once he got here, or Jonathan (Bender) and Al (Harrington). But change is inevitable in life, and it's what you do with change and how you accept it. I know my window of opportunity is closing, but I felt like if they learned quickly, it would preserve me in the long run and give us a shot at a title. "And that's what's happened." For three straight years, Miller's scoring average, playing time and field-goal attempts have diminished. But the statistics don't quantify what Miller has done for this franchise in that time. He not only gave O'Neal and Ron Artest room to make their own way, he showed his younger teammates what it means to be a professional. How can a Jonathan Bender or an Al Harrington complain about minutes when Miller, the face of the franchise and a future Hall of Famer, is so willing to sacrifice his numbers? They can't. And they haven't. Not this year. "When I saw the direction we were going, I never thought about leaving, because Donnie (Walsh) is too smart to ever let this franchise hit rock bottom," Miller said. "I looked at it and decided this was the direction the whole league was heading, with younger players, high school kids. The question would be, who would win the race to develop those young players the quickest? "I saw my role becoming one where I helped us win that race." When Miller's teammates talk about getting Uncle Reggie back to the Finals, it's not simply out of respect for what he's done in the past. It's more than that. They want to reward him for the sacrifices he made for them. He's not the first superstar to move to the background for the betterment of the franchise. David Robinson, in particular, did it to allow Tim Duncan to flourish. But Miller and Duncan are exceptions, and not the rule. "Outside of Reggie and David, I can't think of any others who've made the transition as gracefully as those two guys," Walsh said. "I'm sure it's a hard thing to do. But I saw it that first training camp after the Finals. He made it real obvious he wanted to hand the baton to Jermaine or another one of the young guys. I could tell he was holding back. "That's pretty remarkable for a guy with his record. And remember, he was just a year removed from getting to the Finals." At some point, though, the Pacers will need more than his presence if they're going to stretch this playoff run into June. They're going to need his game. They're going to need the old Reggie, and not an old Reggie. "Do you still feel like you could take over a game if you had to?" he was asked. Miller produced the same look he usually reserves for Spike Lee. "Oh, yeah," he said quickly. "Absolutely." -- ※ 發信站: 批踢踢實業坊(ptt.cc) ◆ From: 61.223.32.99

推140.112.204.185 05/06, , 1F
我預定
推140.112.204.185 05/06, 1F

推 61.223.32.99 05/06, , 2F
感謝七六人板翻譯聖手義助。^^
推 61.223.32.99 05/06, 2F

推140.112.212.215 05/06, , 3F
推 Absolutely!!
推140.112.212.215 05/06, 3F

推 218.166.30.244 05/06, , 4F
我看完了 頗感傷 頗偉大的小米
推 218.166.30.244 05/06, 4F