[討論] Tigers reliever Fu-Te Ni thrills with pitching,

看板NeedFood作者 (aisinjuro)時間14年前 (2009/08/08 09:22), 編輯推噓0(000)
留言0則, 0人參與, 最新討論串1/1
Tigers reliever Fu-Te Ni thrills with pitching, impersonations of teammates by Steve Kornacki Friday August 07, 2009, 8:48 PM AP File Photo In his first six weeks with the Tigers, Fu-Te Ni has compiled a 2.25 ERA and become a reliable left-hander out of the bullpen. He also does a mean impression of Bobby Seay. DETROIT -- Taiwanese reliever Fu-Te Ni has posted some fairly impressive pitching statistics and gotten out some pretty impressive hitters in his first six weeks with the Detroit Tigers. Ni has a 2.25 ERA with three walks and 15 strikeouts in 16 innings and has become a reliable left-hander out of the bullpen. His effectiveness allows Tigers manager Jim Leyland to use him in earlier innings and save southpaw Bobby Seay for later on in games. "He's not afraid," Leyland said. "That's what I like about him. He's got a little hitch in his giddy-up." Leyland also likes Ni's sense of humor, in particular his impersonations of teammates. Tigers bullpen coach Jeff Jones got him into Leyland's office to do his take on Seay. "He mocks Bobby Seay and it's funny," Leyland said. "It made me laugh." Ni did it for reporters as well, complete with a circling of the mound, tapping his right foot and delivering with the same body rotation. Seay is Ni's favorite to impersonate, but he also demonstrated Placido Polanco's bat waggling. "He's got me down pat," Seay said. "He can do anybody. He's great." Seay also appreciates what Ni does on the mound. "He knows how to be a professional up here," Seay said. "And he knows he has to get big outs at big times." Ni got dangerous Baltimore Orioles slugger Luke Scott to snuff out a rally Thursday and retired the heart of Baltimore's lineup in order -- Nick Markakis, Adam Jones, Aubrey Huff and Melvin Mora -- on Tuesday night. Ni got out Grady Sizemore and Asdrubal Cabrera Sunday at Cleveland, striking out four in 1 2/3 innings. In the latest series at Minnesota, he twice kept the Twins' one-two punch of left-handed Joe Mauer and Justin Morneau off the basepaths. "I just tried to do what my coaches wanted," Ni said through his interpreter. So, he hit his spots against them? "I only hit my spots some of the time with them," Ni said, smiling. Did he get lucky? "Yeah," he said, smiling even bigger. But he also stressed he is not satisfied. "I need to make each pitch better," Ni said. "I just keep trying to improve myself, and I am learning things." One of the keys has been distinguishing who the tough hitters are. For instance, after striking out the first batter he faced in the major leagues, Jason Giambi, at Oakland, Ni had no idea who he was. "Now, I am understanding who I am facing," Ni said. "I am learning the hitters to stay away from with pitches." Leyland said there is "room for improvement" on Ni's breaking ball, but added, "I like him a lot. He has good learning power. He's a great kid." Twins add Pavano Minnesota acquired Carl Pavano from the Cleveland Indians on Friday for a player to be named later. Pavano is 3-0 with a 1.93 ERA against Detroit this season but 6-8 with a 6.16 ERA against everyone else. He started Friday against the Tigers. "With Cleveland, he had our number," Detroit right fielder Magglio Ordonez said. "Now, he's with the Twins, and maybe things will turn around. We'll see." Infielder Ramon Santiago added: "That's all going to change tomorrow." Pavano is aggressive and throws strikes. "We definitely have to be aggressive with him," third baseman Brandon Inge said. The new 'Rod' There are efforts in the clubhouse to pin a nickname on Tigers closer Fernando Rodney, who says he "feels like a monster" coming in from the bullpen. So, Rod-zilla has been suggested, while Seay likes F-Rod. Rodney laughed when the F-Rod suggestion was relayed. He said he has never had a nickname, but is OK with whatever anyone decides. Interest in Smoltz, Giambi? It's doubtful the Tigers will have interest in pitcher John Smoltz (2-5, 8.52 ERA), who was designated for assignment Friday by the Boston Red Sox, or Giambi (.193, 11 homers, 40 RBIs), who was released by the Oakland A's. But the pair could attract some interest as September roster additions. Tigers sign third baseman Detroit has signed 26th-round pick Edgar Corcino, a third baseman from Puerto Rico. http://www.mlive.com/tigers/index.ssf/2009/08/tigers_reliever_fute_ni_thrill.html -- ※ 發信站: 批踢踢實業坊(ptt.cc) ◆ From: 219.84.29.27
文章代碼(AID): #1AVDDDTT (NeedFood)