[新聞] Torre tries to clear air with Cashman

看板NY-Yankees作者 (La Mer)時間15年前 (2009/01/27 06:44), 編輯推噓0(000)
留言0則, 0人參與, 最新討論串1/1
Torre tries to clear air with Cashman Former Yankees manager critical of GM in upcoming book By Bryan Hoch / MLB.com NEW YORK -- The pages of text relating to Joe Torre's version of his final days under employment with the Yankees have not yet made it to bookshelves. But the manager is already making efforts to clear the air. Torre reached out Sunday to Yankees general manager Brian Cashman, calling his former boss from a vacation spot in Hawaii. Cashman was in attendance at the Baseball Writers' Association of America awards dinner in New York and spoke briefly with reporters. "Joe Torre called me from Hawaii not too long ago, actually. I just will say, I'm glad he gave me a call," Cashman told reporters, according to the New York Daily News, "and I think you should wait for the book." Torre's book, a collaboration with Tom Verducci, hones in on the skipper's life with the Yankees from 1996-2007. The period brought great amounts of success, including four World Series titles and six American League pennants, but also a fair amount of controversy. Excerpts of the more salacious details surfaced in reports published Sunday by the Daily News and the New York Post. In the book, according to reports, Torre notes that Alex Rodriguez was called "A-Fraud" by his teammates and harbored an obsession with perceived rival Derek Jeter. As the book pertains to Cashman, Torre is critical of the GM for not relaying his wishes for a two-year contract after the 2007 season, and gripes that the GM did not stump harder with management for him to stay. Cashman had publicly supported Torre after the '05 and '06 seasons, and continued to do so throughout the '07 campaign. The Yankees were bounced in the first round of the playoffs by the Indians and would eventually hire Joe Girardi, after Torre rejected an incentive-based one-year contract that worked out to a 30 percent pay cut. Torre later landed a three-year contract to manage the Dodgers. "I will just say I'm very comfortable with the relationship I have with Joe Torre and that the Yankees have with Joe Torre," Cashman said, according to the Daily News. "He was a fantastic manager and you couldn't ask for any more than what he did for us. "We had a lot of great times, more than you can count or remember, to be honest, and that's the sole focus that we all have, myself included, obviously. Despite what was in the paper today, I'm glad Joe gave me a call from Hawaii. It certainly made me feel better about what I was reading today." In a Q&A published Sunday on SI.com, Verducci noted that the book is a third-person narrative, not a first-person tell-all. "This is the result of hundreds of interviews with not only Torre but players, front-office executives, executives of other teams, players on other teams," Verducci told SI.com. "It's a 477-page book about 12 years of baseball history. Again, it's not a Joe Torre first-person book, so there's a lot of reporting that's presented in there in addition to Joe's insights. "Smart people will judge the book upon actually reading it and not reading preliminary reports prior to its publication. Once you understand the context of the book you understand the information. It's not a tell-all book. Anybody who reads it will understand that." "The Yankee Years" is being published by Doubleday and will be released on Feb. 3. Torre is set for a book signing that day at the Yogi Berra Museum in Little Falls, N.J., and is scheduled to appear that night on "The Late Show with David Letterman." http://0rz.tw/B8td4 總之等書出來就知道了 現在下結論還太早 -- ※ 發信站: 批踢踢實業坊(ptt.cc) ◆ From: 61.216.6.14 ※ 編輯: awhat 來自: 61.216.6.14 (01/27 06:44)
文章代碼(AID): #19VZopPW (NY-Yankees)