[新聞] Mets part ways with Franco

看板NY-Mets作者 (封侯事在)時間17年前 (2007/07/13 12:32), 編輯推噓0(000)
留言0則, 0人參與, 最新討論串1/1
48歲老胡被DFA了... http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/mets/ny-spfranco0713,0,2041038.story?coll=ny-hsports-headlines The Mets made what some consider a long overdue move Thursday when they cut 48-year-old Julio Franco from the roster. They also made what Lastings Milledge obviously felt was an overdue move by promoting the brash 22-year-old from his rehab assignment and installing him as their latest leftfielder. Milledge, returning from a sprained foot ligament that cost him more than two months, made an immediate impact, going 1-for-4 and scoring the go-ahead run from first base on a single to center in the fifth inning of the Mets' 3-2 win over the Reds at Shea Stadium. Milledge was on first when Ruben Gotay hit a two-out liner to center that fell in front of a diving Ryan Freel. Milledge, who was running with the pitch, made it all the way home with a nifty slide to avoid the tag of catcher David Ross. While Milledge was hurt, the Mets had injuries strike Moises Alou, Endy Chavez and Carlos Gomez. Now there's an opening in leftfield that will probably last until Alou returns. "I'm getting my opportunity to play here every day, at least until Moises comes back and Chavez comes back," Milledge said. "I've got to take advantage of what I have and see how I do from here." Milledge made headlines in May for his explicit lyrics on a rap single called "Bend Ya Knees" produced by his record label. The Mets told him they don't approve of the lyrics, but Milledge seemed unfazed. "It's something I do in the offseason," he said. "I'm going to continue what I do. Like the Mets say, they don't approve of it, which is fine, because it's a venture of mine and the thing I'm focused on right now is contributing to the team and really, really trying to catapult my career and trying to get off to a good start. That's it." The Milledge/Franco moves may seem connected, but they really aren't. The Mets say they let go of Franco to give manager Willie Randolph more flexibility on his bench; Franco has really been replaced not by Milledge, but by third catcher Sandy Alomar Jr. Alomar's presence allows Randolph to use Ramon Castro as a pinch hitter, as he did on Sunday in the Mets' last game before the All-Star break. "We wanted more flexibility in some of our players," Randolph said. "With Alomar being the third catcher we'll be able to do some things." Franco signed a two-year, $2-million contract before last season and was the Mets' top pinch hitter. That in itself was a problem, since Franco offered little power to make opposing managers quake in the late innings. In 50 at-bats this season he hit .200 with one home run and eight RBIs. As a pinch hitter he was 7-for-26 (.269) with six RBIs. The Mets designated Franco for assignment; they have 10 days to trade or release him. General manager Omar Minaya said he expected Franco to try to hook on with another club. Franco has often said he wants to play into his 50s. -- 在奇怪的時刻突然想寫blog http://chordate.blogspot.com/ -- ※ 發信站: 批踢踢實業坊(ptt.cc) ◆ From: 220.135.3.133
文章代碼(AID): #16bm1Rb5 (NY-Mets)