語概第十章作業討論

看板NTU03DFLL作者 (pingtaku)時間19年前 (2005/06/19 08:06), 編輯推噓1(100)
留言1則, 1人參與, 最新討論串1/1
5. Below are some words used in British English for which different words are usually used in American English. See if you can match the British and American equivalents? British American a. clothes peg k. biscuits A. candy K. baby buggy b. braces l. queue B. truck L. elevator c. lift m. torch C. line M. can d. pram n. underground D. main street N. cop e. waistcoat o. high street E. crackers O. wake up f. shop assistant p. crisps F. suspenders P. trunk g. sweets q. lorry G. wrench Q. vest h. boot (of car) r. holiday H. flashlight R. subway i. bobby s. tin I. potato chips S. clothes pin j. spanner t. knock up J. vacation T. clerk Ans: a. – S. f. – T. k. – E. p. – I. b. – F. g. – A. l. – C. q. – B. c. – L. h. – P. m. – H. r. – J. d. – K. i. – N. n. – R. s. – M. e. – Q. j. – G. o. – D. t. – O. 6. Pig Latin is a common language game of England; but even Pig Latin has dialects, forms of the “language game” with different rules. A. Consider the following data from three dialects of Pig Latin, each with its own rule applied to words begging with vowels: ----------------------------------------------------------------------- 有一些音標符號好像不能顯示(顯示成問號),請看課本吧 : ) ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Dialect 1 Dialect 2 Dialect3 “eat” [itme] [ithe] [ite] “arc” [arkme] [arkhe] [arke] (1) State the rule that accounts for the Pig Latin forms in each dialect. Dialect 1: attach sound segment [me] to the original word. Dialect 2: attach sound segment [he] to the original word. Dialect 3: attach vowel segment [e] to the original word. (2) How word you say honest, admire, and illegal in each dialect? Give the phonetic transcription of the Pig Latin forms. Dialect 1 Dialect 2 Dialect3 “honest” [an?stme] [an?sthe] [an?ste] “admire” [?dmajrme] [?dmajrhe] [?dmajre] “illegal” [?liglme] [?liglhe] [?ligle] B. In one dialect of Pig Latin, the word “strike” is pronounced [ajkstre], and in another dialect it is pronounced [trajkse]. In the first dialect “slot” is pronounced [atsle] and in the second dialect, it is pronounced [latse]. (1) State the rules for each of these dialects that account for these different Pig Latin forms of the same words. Dialect 1: move the initial consonant cluster of the word to the final position of the word, and then attach the vowel [e] to the reversed word: [str+ajk] → [ajk+str] → [ajkstr+e] = [ajkstre] [sl+at] → [at+sl] → [atsl+e] = [atsle] Dialect 2: move the first consonant of the word to the final position of the word, and then attach the vowel [e] to the reversed word: [s+trajk] → [trajk+s] → [trajks+e] = [trajkse] [s+lat] → [lat+s] → [lats+e] = [latse] (2) Give the phonetic transcriptions for spot, crisis, and scratch in both dialects. Dialect 1: [atspe], [?s?skre], [a?skre] Dialect 2: [patse], [r?s?ske], [kra?se] 8. Below are sentences that might be spoken between two friends chatting informally. For each, state what the nonabbreviated full sentence in SAE would be. In addition, state in your own words (of formally if you wish) the rule or rules that derived the informal sentences from the formal one. a. Where’ve ya been today? SAE: Where have you been today? b. Watcha gonna do for fun? SAE: What are you going to do for fun? c. Him go to church? SAE: Does he go to church? d. There’s four books there. SAE: There are four books there. e. Who ya wanna go with? SAE: Who do you want to go with? Rule 1: reduction of syllables, e.g. Where have → Where’ve What are you → Watcha going to → gonna want to → wanna Rule 2: plural form of verb is represented by singular form, e.g. There’re → There’s He goes → Him go Rule 3: reduction of auxiliary verb, e.g. Who do you → Who ya Does he go → Him go Rule 4: no reversion in interrogative structure, e.g. Does he go → Him go 12. Column A lists euphemisms for words in column B. Match each item with its appropriate B word. A B a. Montezuma’s revenge (1) condom b. joy sick (2) genocide c. friggin’ (3) fire d. ethnic cleansing (4) diarrhea e. French letter (old) (5) masturbate f. diddle oneself (6) kill g. holy of holies (7) urinate h. spend a penny (British) (8) penis i. ladies’ cloak room (9) die j. knock off (10) waging war k. vertically challenged (11) vagina l. hand in one’s dinner pail (12) women’s toilet m. sanitation engineer (13) short n. downsize (14) fuckin’ o. peace keeping (15) garbage collector Ans: a. Montezuma’s revenge - (4) diarrhea b. joy stick - (8) penis c. friggin’ - (14) fuckin’ d. ethnic cleansing - (2) genocide e. French letter (old) - (1) condom f. diddle oneself - (5) masturbate g. holy of holies - (11) vagina h. spend a penny (British) - (7) urinate i. ladies’ cloak room - (12) women’s toilet j. knock off - (6) kill k. vertically challenged - (13) short l. hand in one’s dinner pail - (9) die m. sanitation engineer - (15) garbage collector n. downsize - (3) fire o. peace keeping - (10) waging war -- ※ 發信站: 批踢踢實業坊(ptt.cc) ◆ From: 140.112.245.130 ※ 編輯: pingtaku 來自: 140.112.245.130 (06/19 08:26)

140.112.228.114 06/20, , 1F
辛苦了餅達 我等你好久啦~
140.112.228.114 06/20, 1F
文章代碼(AID): #12jBRvnR (NTU03DFLL)