[試題] 96下 朱偉誠 英國文學1900以後 期末考

看板NTU-Exam作者時間16年前 (2008/06/16 12:47), 編輯推噓0(000)
留言0則, 0人參與, 最新討論串1/1
課程名稱︰英國文學1900以後 課程性質︰必選 課程教師︰朱偉誠 開課學院:文學院 開課系所︰外文系 考試日期(年月日)︰97.6.16 考試時限(分鐘):150分鐘 是否需發放獎勵金:是,謝謝! (如未明確表示,則不予發放) 試題 : 1. Explain Gerard Manley Hopkins's idea of "inscape" and "instress" as manifest in his poem "As Kingfishers Catch Fire." (5%) 2. How does Oscar Wilde's Preface to his novel _The Picture of Dorian Gray_ bespeak the tenets of aestheticism, especially as reaction against the Victorian Age? (5%) 3. Explain the following passage from Wilde's play "The Importance of Being Earnest" in terms of late Victorian context and relate it to Thomas Hardy's and A.E.Housman's poems. (10%) ALGERNON. Lane, you're a perfect pessimist. LANE. I do my best to give satisfaction, sir. 4. Choose one of Wilde's famous aphorisms which you regard as most typically Wildean and explain its meaning. (5%) ----------- CHOOSE CAREFULLY FROM THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS AND ANSWER ONLY THOSE THAT CAN MAKE UP FOR 30%. 5. What exactly does the title of W.B.Yeats's poem "Adam's Curse" mean and how does it relate to the central concern of the poem? (5%) 6. Explain Yeats's attitudes toward Irish nationalist politics as expressed in his poems "September 1913" and "Easter 1916." (10%) 7. Describe Yeats's view on and attitude toward (contemporary) history as seen in "The Second Coming," "Leda and the Swan," and "Lapis Lazuli." (15%) 8. What exactly does Yeats pray for his daughter in his "A Prayer for My Daughter" and what do the school children make Yeats think of in "Among School Children"? (15%) 9. What urges prompt Yeats to write "Sailing to Byzantium" and what is the significance of the poem "Under Ben Bulben" in terms of Yeats's life and work? (10%) ----------- 10.How does Virginia Woolf miagine Shakespeare's sister and what are the points of her doing so? (10%) 11.Summarize the story of T.S.Eliot's "The Love Song of J.Alfred Prufrock" and those of two characters in "The Waste Land" that can exemplify the general spiritual condition after World War I. (15%) 12.Use T.S.Eliot's poems to illustrate the distinctive characteristics of modernist poetry. (10%) 13.Summarize the themes of only one group of the following W.H.Auden's poems: (1)"Musee des Beaux Arts" and "Spain 1937"; or (2)"Lullaby" and "In Praise of Limestone." (10%) 14.Explain the following passages from Dylan Thomas's poems. (10%) Pale rain over the dwindling harbour And over the sea wet church the size of a nail With its horns through mist and the castle Brown as owls But all the gardens Of spring and summer were blooming in the tall tales Beyond the border and under the lark full cloud. There could I marvel My birthday Away but the weather turned around. (Poem in October) And then to awake, and the farm, like a wanderer white With the dew, come back, the cock on his shoulder: it was all Shining, it was Adam and maiden, The sky gathered again And the sun grew round that very day. So it must have been after the birth of the simple light In the first, spinning place, the spellbound horses walking warm Out of the whinnying green stable On to the fields of praise. ("Fern Hill") -- ※ 發信站: 批踢踢實業坊(ptt.cc) ◆ From: 140.112.115.224
文章代碼(AID): #18LV1iVV (NTU-Exam)