Henin-Hardenne just happy to be back

看板NED-BEL-LUX作者 (change agent)時間20年前 (2004/05/25 01:58), 編輯推噓0(000)
留言0則, 0人參與, 最新討論串1/1
Henin-Hardenne just happy to be back By Araz Gulekjian Sunday, May 23, 2004 Defending champion Justine Henin-Hardenne is just happy to be back in Paris for her first tournament after recovering from a viral infection which sidelined her for six straight weeks. “It’s been a difficult decision,” said Henin-Hardenne. “But I took a decision, to play. We’ll see if it was a good one. “Everyone knows I love to play here. I consider this tournament as my back garden. I always had fond memories here. I will try to enjoy my tennis as much as I can,” added the 21-year-old Belgian. “When I came here on Thursday I had an extraordinary feeling, a feeling of serenity.” Henin-Hardenne has missed out on all the European clay court tune-up events this Spring. She lost to Frenchwoman Amelie Mauresmo in the semis on green clay at Amelia Island in South Carolina in April. Too much tennis The diminuitive top seed has not been seen near a tennis court since. She battled a debilitating virus not disimilar to that of the energy-sapping glandular fever virus. “I played too much tennis,” admitted Henin. “At first I slept all the time, I was tired. I didn’t even miss tennis. It was difficult for me to be affected by a virus I had no control over. “But at the same time, my illness was not as serious compared to what other people go through.” Despite her illness, Henin-Hardenne cherished her off-court time, using her recovery to charge her batteries and reconnect with family and friends. “Clearly, I would have liked to come in Paris with more matches. But I had a possibility to be at home and enjoy my new apartment, my family and friends. The batteries are charged for the remainder of the season now,” said Henin who meets Frenchwoman Sandrine Testud in the first round. Testud, a perennial favorite with the French crowd, is attempting a comeback of her own after the birth of her child. “For sure, I’m going to be a little nervous because I don’t really know where my tennis is at. Hopefully I can grow in confidence as the matches do.” Henin-Hardenne played down her chances of defending her first Grand Slam title, adding that Frenchwoman Amelie Mauresmo might be one of the favorites. “Amelie is someone who you will have to count on. She is playing great and has had great results,” the three-time Grand Slam champion said. Henin-Hardenne had a breakthrough season last year, winning her first ever Grand Slam title here on the Parisian “terre battue” against fellow- countrywoman Kim Clijsters. She went on to add the 2003 US Open and 2004 Australian Open to her trophy case. The Belgian has bagged four titles this year and compiled a 25-2 record this season, comfortably sitting on top of the standings with 6,913 points. -- ※ 發信站: 批踢踢實業坊(ptt.cc) ◆ From: 218.167.199.172
文章代碼(AID): #10iZV216 (NED-BEL-LUX)