[專欄] How to be a Big Shot

看板NBA作者 (manimal)時間8年前 (2016/01/25 12:10), 8年前編輯推噓29(3016)
留言37則, 30人參與, 最新討論串1/1
How to be a Big Shot by Robert Horry 原文網址:http://www.theplayerstribune.com/robert-horry-kobe-phil-jackson-laker s/ 原文:Here are a few things I think: Brent Barry was one of the smartest player s I ever played with in the NBA. Rudy Tomjanovich was the best coach I ever had, not Phil Jackson or Gregg Popovich. Kobe Bryant was the hardest working player I ever played with. The Triangle is just a fancy name for the same plays that 50 percent of the NBA runs. Dennis Rodman was a genius. Basketball is a ruthless business. Winners don’t take no shit. 譯文:我對某些事情的看法是這樣的: Brent Barry是我在NBA中一起合作過最聰明的隊有 。 Rudy Tomjanovich則是最好的教練,不是禪師或波波。Kobe則是我遇過最認真練習的隊友 。三角進攻不過就是把NBA中一半的戰術取了個花俏的名字,Dennis Rodman是個天才。籃 球則是一門無情的生意,而真正的贏家是不開玩笑的。 You might disagree with me on all those points. But the fact of the matter is, I see the game differently than the average NBA fan. Truthfully, I see the game differently than most NBA coaches. But I have won seven NBA titles, so just hear me out for a second and you might actually learn something different than the cliches you hear on TV. 你可能不同意我上述的話,但是我看比賽的方法和一般的NBA球迷可不一樣。事實上,我 看待比賽的方式也和大部分的NBA教練不同。但我可贏下了七座冠軍,所以就姑且聽我說 一些故事,也許你能學到一些不同的東西,而不是那些在電視上聽到的老生常談。 People come up to me all the time and ask, “Man, how did you make all those big shots? You were ice cold.” 人們總是會來問我: “兄弟,你到底是甚麼投進那些致勝一擊的?你也太冷血了。” I wasn’t born ice cold. In fact, I was probably one of the only players in NBA history who got traded for not shooting the ball enough. When I got drafted by the Houston Rockets in ’92, I was over the moon. You’re telling me I get to go play with my idol The Dream? I couldn’t have been more excited. First practice, every time I got the ball on the wing, Dream was calling for it. What would you do? This is a living legend. He was unstoppable in the post. So I threw it into Dream. And I kept throwing it into Dream the entire season. That first year, I was just happy to be there. I was deferring to everybody. 我不是一進入聯盟就具有殺手本能的。事實上,我可能是在NBA歷史中唯一因為出手不夠 多而被交易的球員。當我在92年被火箭隊選上的時候,我應該是全世界最高興的人了。你 是說我能和我的偶像Hakeem Olajuwon同隊打球?就是那個人稱美夢的男人嗎?這世界上不 可能有比這件事更讓我興奮的了。第一次練球,每當我在側翼持球的時候,Hakeem都會和 我要球。你會怎麼做?那可是個活生生的傳奇欸,他在禁區是無人可擋的。所以,理所當 然的是,我把球傳給了大夢。而接下來的整個球季,我都在傳球給他。我對於能在新人年 待在火箭隊感到非常高興,我在那裏學到了許多事情。 The next season, we start 15-0. We tie the NBA record for consecutive wins against the Knicks at Madison Square Garden, the mecca of basketball. The whole city was so pissed that they did something I’ve never seen before in my career. The crew at the airport made us wait like two hours at the gate — no announcement, no updates, nothing. I swear to God, they had us sitting there for no good reason other than we just whooped the Knicks. We didn’t get into Atlanta until 5 a.m. and the Hawks beat us by 25 that night. 下個賽季的開始,我們打出了15勝0敗的成績,我們在對上尼克隊的時候打平了NBA連勝 場次最多的 紀錄。我們在Madison Square Garden籃球的麥加聖地,贏得了那場比賽。整個城市都被 我們惹毛了—接著他們做了一件我在籃球生涯中從沒見過的事情。在機場的工作人員讓我 們在登機門前等了差不多兩個小時--沒有公告,沒有更新,就讓我們枯等了兩個小時。我 發誓,他們讓我們坐在那邊等就只是因為我們剛擊敗了尼克隊。我們凌晨五點才抵達 Atlanta,老鷹隊在稍晚的時候以25分擊敗了我們。 After that, we just kept on cruising. We didn’t lose our second game until two days before Christmas against the Nuggets. We were 22-2. I show up at the Christmas party that night and Hakeem is pacing around. He comes up to me — no expression — and waves for me to follow him out to the porch. “Ro-bert, come with me for a second.” 在那之後,我們繼續展開贏球之旅。我們直到在聖誕節前兩天對金塊隊的比賽才輸了第二 場球。我們的紀錄是22勝2敗。當我出現在聖誕節晚上的派對時,Hakeem正在派對上閒晃 。他直直的朝我走來—臉上沒有甚麼表情—並用手勢招呼我到走廊上。"Ro-bert,跟我來 一下好嗎?” Inside my head, I’m like, shit Dream, it’s cold outside. What the hell could we possibly have to talk about so bad? We’re 22-2. But I say, “Sure, Dream.” 當時我腦海中只想著:"媽的,大夢,外面冷得要死欸。該死的,我們有甚麼急著需要到外 面談的話題嗎?我們現在22勝2敗欸。"但我說:"沒問題。" We go outside and he looks me dead in the eye and says, “Do you care if we win or lose?” 我們到了外面,他認真地,牢牢的盯著我:"你在乎贏球或輸球嗎?" I look back at him dead in the eye and say, “Dude, you probably don’t understand this, but I care more than anyone on this team. I hate losing.” 我認真的,牢牢的盯著他:"老兄,你可能不太瞭解我。但我比隊上任何人都在乎輸贏,我 痛恨輸球。" “You do not show it in your emotions, Ro-bert.” "我在你身上感受不到這種情緒啊,Ro-bert" This was one of the defining moments of my career. I’m getting called out by my idol. I could have tucked my tail between my legs. I decided against it. “Well,” I said. “You don’t show your emotions either!” Two grown men standing on a porch talking about their emotions. I’ll never forget him cracking a smile and laughing. 這是我生涯中其中一個決定性的時刻,我被我的偶像叫出去談話。我大可以夾著尾巴逃跑 ,但我決定要反抗。 "恩,你也沒把你的情緒表達出來啊。"我說。 兩個成熟的男人站在走廊上談論他們的感情....但我永遠忘不了接下來他臉上的微笑和笑 聲。 “Good point,” he said. “Let’s go inside.” "說的好,"他說,"我們進去吧。" From that day on, we became great friends. I would yell at him when I thought he was messing up. Nobody else would do that. But I understood him. He was the kind of guy who would challenge you even when you were sitting pretty in first place. That’s the thing that a lot of basketball fans don’t understand. When a team wins a Championship, this picture gets painted that everything was perfect — that all the guys are best friends and the coach is a genius. The reality is always way more complicated. 我和Hakeem間的友誼也是從那天開始發展的,我們變成了很好的朋友。我會在我認為他搞 砸的時候對著他大吼。沒有其他人會這麼做,但我瞭解他。大夢是那種無論你是誰都會積 極挑戰你的人—即使你的排名是聯盟第一也一樣。這就是許多籃球迷不瞭解的事,當一個 隊伍贏下了冠軍,這幅畫面看起來非常美好--所有人都是好朋友,教練是天才---但現實 狀況比這個複雜多了。 A month after that Christmas party, I got a call from my agent telling me I was being traded to Detroit for Sean Elliott. The only explanation was “ Houston wants more scoring.” It’s the middle of February. It’s snowing, cold as hell. I got off the plane and I’ve never been so depressed in my life. Matt Bullard was involved in the deal too, and I remember we were all dressed and getting ready to go out for warmups when somebody from the Pistons organization grabbed my shoulder and said, “Hold up. Sean hasn’t passed his physical yet. We have to hold you out as a precaution.” They wanted us to sit on the bench, but I thought that would be weird, so I asked them to let us sit in the owner’s box. 在聖誕派對後的一個月,我的經紀人打來告訴我交易的訊息。我被交易到活塞隊換來 Sean Elliot。唯一的解釋是:"火箭隊需要更多的分數。"那時是二月中,外頭正在下雪, 整個冷到不行。我下了飛機後,感到非常非常失望。Matt Bullard和我一起被交易過去, 我記得我們已經著裝完畢並準備熱身了,但有個活塞隊來的傢伙抓住我的肩膀說:"等等, Sean沒有通過體測,我們晚點再通知你。"他們要我們坐在板凳上,但那樣感覺很怪,所 以我要求他們讓我們坐在老闆的包廂裡面。 I don’t remember much after that. I got a call from my mom after the game. She was all concerned, like “Boy, were you drunk?” The TV camera had cut to me in the box and I guess I was practically slumped over. I’ve never been much of a drinker, but I was so hurt and disappointed that Houston traded me that I had a few beers. The next day, I got a call from my agent saying, “ They found a problem with Sean’s kidney. The trade is off. Ya’ll are going back to Houston.” 之後的事情其實我記得不太清楚,我媽在比賽後打了電話給我。她非常擔心我,"孩子, 你醉了嗎?" 攝影機有拍到我在包廂裡的畫面,我猜我可能看起來有點...呆滯? 我從來不 是個愛喝酒的人,但我在被火箭隊交易後感到非常失望又難過,所以喝了幾杯啤酒。隔天 我接到我經紀人的電話,"他們發現Sean的腎臟出了點問題,交易取消。你們要回休士頓 了。" Me and Matt jumped in that car and drove to the airport so fast that I don’t even think we hit the brakes when we pulled into the parking lot. We did a ninja-roll out of the car and onto that plane. That car might still be rolling somewhere in the midwest. After that day, my mentality was, Fuck it. I ’m shooting. I’m playing Robert Horry ball. Now you read the history and all people know is that we won the title that season. Then we won it again in ’95. They know me as Big Shot Bob. But the reality is that if it wasn’t for a medical emergency, I might have been known as the depressed dude slumped over in the press box. There are so many winding paths and forks in the road in this game. Matt和我跳上車飛快地開回機場,我不記得我們在進停車場之前有沒有踩煞車。我們像個 忍者般跳出車子在衝上飛機。那台車可能還繼續在中西區漫遊。在那天之後,我就想著" 去他的,我要開始投籃了。我要打出Robert Horry風格的籃球。"你們都記得接下來的歷 史,我們在那個賽季贏得冠軍。然後在95年又贏下了一個冠軍。所有人都知道了我是Big Shot Bob。但如果不是Sean的交易案沒過,我可能就會變在那個在包廂裡呆滯又消沉的傢 伙。籃球之路可說是蜿蜒又充滿了挫折。 I’ll give you another example. When I got traded to the Lakers in ’97, Kobe Bryant was just a rookie. The dude couldn’t shoot threes. We would play this shooting game every day after practice. It was me, Kobe, Brian Shaw, Mitch Richmond and Kurt Rambis. Kobe would lose every time. We would get to practice the next day and sure enough, Kobe would already be there shooting nothing but threes. Like clockwork, at the end of practice he’d say, “Let’ s play the game! I’m ready for you.” And we would beat his ass again. 讓我告訴你另一個例子。當我在97年被交易到湖人隊的時候,Kobe只是個剛進入聯盟的菜 鳥。這傢伙的三分不怎麼準,我們在每次隊內練習後都會有投籃比賽。參賽者有我、Kobe 、Brian Shaw、Mitch Richmond和 Kurt Rambis。Kobe每場比賽都輸。我們隔天去練習的 時候,Kobe已經在球場上練習三分球了。在練完球之後他會說,"我們來比賽吧!我已經準 備好了!" 然後我們會再打敗他一次。 He would never stop. It was incredible. He practiced until one day, a couple months later, he finally won. If you literally said, “Kobe, I bet you can’t make five in a row by dropping the ball and kicking it in from half court,” that motherfucker would go out there and practice it until he could do it. And that’s what people don’t understand when they talk about champions — when they talk about a winner’s mentality. Kobe’s dedication to the game is unreal. And I mean that in the truest sense … it was literally unbelievable. The common denominator in every championship team is the mentality that Kobe has, and the mentality that Hakeem had with me at that Christmas party. You have to be so obsessed with winning that you pull no punches with your teammates, even when you’re in first place. Even when you’ re a defending champ. Kobe的努力是永無止境的,他的練習量非常驚人。他不斷練投三分球直到幾個月後的某一 天,當他終於贏得比賽了後才停止。如果你和他說:"Kobe,我和你打賭你沒辦法從中場連 進五球。"那個該死的傢伙就會跑到球場上一直練習直到他能投進為止。這就是人們在談 論冠軍時無法理解的事—贏家的心理素質。 Kobe對於比賽的奉獻是無與倫比的...我是認真的。他對球賽下的苦心令人難以置信。每 個冠軍球隊都需要像Kobe一樣的心理素質,就像是Hakeem和我當時在聖誕節派對曾有過的 一樣。你需要對勝利有著瘋狂的著迷,並毫不保留地告訴隊友你的想法,即使你們在聯盟 中排名第一,即使你們是衛冕軍也一樣。 Whenever I hear people crying about Kobe yelling at people in practice, or wondering whether or not LeBron is best friends with his teammates, I just roll my eyes. You know how many off-court conversations I had with the Zen-Master Phil Jackson in my entire time with the Lakers? One. I was sitting in the trainer’s room getting treatment and he was sitting on the table across from me. 當我聽到人們抱怨Kobe在練習中對隊友大吼大叫,或揣測James和他的隊友是不是好朋友 的時候,我都會翻個大白眼。你知道我在為湖人隊效力的時候和禪師有多少場下的對話嗎 ?就這麼一次。我坐在訓練師的房間復健,Phil坐在我桌子的對面。 “What happened with you and Danny Ainge in Phoenix?” he asked. “I didn’t like him, so I blew up and threw a towel at him. I didn’t handle it the right way.” “Okay.” And that was it. We won three titles together. Go figure. “你和Danny Ainge在鳳凰隊的時候是怎麼一回事?”他問 “我不喜歡他,所以我對他爆怒然後朝他扔毛巾,我沒有控制好情緒。” “Okay。” 就這樣,我們一起贏了三座總冠軍。好好思考一下吧。 The polar opposite of that was my relationship with Rudy T. He understood that even though he was the coach, we could see things that he couldn’t see from the bench. We could hear things and feel things on the court that he couldn’t see. First thing T would say was, “What’s going on out there?” He would ask us the plays we would want to run sometimes and get a feel for what we were comfortable with. If we ran a play and it worked, T would tell us to run it again. Phil not so much. Same with Pop. They are both great in their own right, but based on personal experience, T was the greatest NBA coach. I know he doesn’t have nearly as many championships, but sometimes we give one person too much credit for titles. 即使和禪師沒太多交流,但我和Rudy Tomjanovich的感情一直都不錯,雖然他是教練,但 我們能看到一些他在板凳上看不到的東西。我們能聽到或感受到一些在場上他看不見的東 西。Rudy會問”場上發生甚麼事了?” 他會要求我們跑出一些平常會跑的戰術,然後讓我 們繼續熟練戰術直到大家都找到舒服的出手空間為止。如果我們成功跑出戰術了,Rudy會 要求我們再跑一次。Phil和波波就不太會這麼做。他們兩個無庸置疑地都很成功,但根據 我個人的經驗, Rudy才是NBA最棒的教練。當然,他手上的冠軍數比不上Phil和波波,但 人們有些時候太看重冠軍了。 With Phil, his ability to coach Michael Jordan and the success that he was able to lead those Bulls teams to is why he commanded so much respect from players. The titles Phil won in Chicago translated into titles in Los Angeles. His six rings is what made Shaq get into the gym and become one of the most dominant forces in league history. However, as dominant as we were in that three-peat run, I feel we could’ve done more if it weren’t for egos and complacency. Honestly, I left the Lakers with so much hatred for that team. I felt that the way they handled my situation was so wrong. I remember going into the exit meetings after we had won the title and it was my year to opt out. You walk into the meeting and everyone is hugging you, kissing you, praising you. Phil執教Jordan的能力,以及他帶領公牛隊成功的歷史是讓他獲得球員尊敬的原因。Phil 在芝加哥贏得的冠軍是讓湖人隊能獲得冠軍的原因之一。他的六枚冠軍戒指讓Shaq願意乖 乖進體育館練球,並把自己鍛鍊成禁區中無人可擋的兇器。然而,即使我們在三連勝的時 候是無人可擋的,但如果我們願意放下無謂的自尊心和自滿的話,我覺得我們的成就可以 更高。老實說,我離開湖人隊的時候奇時還蠻痛恨他們的,我覺得他們在處理我的狀況上 面犯了很大的錯。我記得在我們贏下冠軍後的會議,那是我跳出合約的那一年。當我走進 會議的時候,所有人都走向前來擁抱親吻我或讚美我。 I said, “I know I make too much money and I know you’ve got a hard-on for Karl Malone.” They had been wanting him for five years, ever since Phil got there. I’m a realist. Tell me like it is and I will respect you more, just don’t go behind my back. I told them I’d stay for $2 million, but they weren ’t interested. All I asked them was to allow me to find a team before the money dried up and not to wait until the last day to release me. They told me, “We won’t do you like that.” 我說:"我知道我佔了球隊裡太多的薪資空間,而我也知道這樣你們很難簽下Karl Malone 。”他們已經覬覦Malone足足五年了,從Phil來湖人隊後就開始了。我是個現實主義者, 你如果老老實實的告訴我事實的話我會挺尊敬你的。但不要在我背後議論紛紛。我告訴他 們,你給我2百萬的薪資我就留下來,但湖人隊沒有興趣。我能做的事情就是要求他們讓 我在錢花完之前有時間去找願意簽下我的球隊,不要等到最後一天才把我釋出。他們告訴 我,”我們不會這麼對待你的。” Well, they didn’t do me like that. They waited until the next to last day to release me. 他們的確沒對我這麼做,他們等到釋出截止日的前一天才把我釋出。 This is what athletes mean when they say, “It’s a business.” Hell yes, we make a ton of money to play a silly-ass kid’s game. But even if you’re the hero, even if you hit one of the biggest shots in franchise history and win multiple titles, your ass can be out the door the next day. 這就是運動員所謂的”一切都只是場生意。” 當然啦,我們靠著籃球賺進了大把鈔票。 但就算你是個英雄,就算你投進了隊史裡最關鍵的一球並贏下了好幾個冠軍,你還是有可 能在隔天被掃地出門。 Once again, that could’ve been curtains for me. Luckily, I wound up on the Spurs and the rest is history. My first game back in Los Angeles against the Lakers, they had a thing before the game to present me with a special jersey. Everybody was all smiles. They parade me out there at the Staples Center and I had to act all happy. And I was happy for the fans, and for what we achieved. But if you understand one thing about me, understand this — I’m a guy who is constantly seeking motivation. That’s how you get ice water in your veins. So I remember looking at the smiling people from the Lakers’ front office and thinking, “Man, you just wait. I’m gonna break ya’ll hearts.” 同樣的,被湖人隊釋出後可能就是我籃球生涯的最後一幕了。但幸運的是,我最後被馬刺 隊簽下,而剩下的歷史你們都知道了。我第一場回到洛杉磯對上湖人的比賽,他們在賽前 頒發給我一件特別的球衣。所有人都在微笑著歡迎我,他們用遊行的方式在Staples Center外面歡迎我—而我需要演出一副很高興的樣子。我的確為球迷感到開心,為我們所 達成的一切感到開心。但如果你瞭解我的話,你就會知道,我是個不斷在尋找動力的人。 這就是造就我殺手本能的一切。所以我記得我邊看著那些湖人球團的人朝著我微笑邊思考 著,”你們等著看好了,我要狠狠地打垮你們。” I actually have five NBA titles thanks to the Lakers. Three from playing with the team, and two from them showing me the door. 事實上我有五枚冠軍戒指都是湖人隊幫助我拿到的,其中三枚是和他們一起比賽時得到的 ,剩下兩枚則要歸功於他們把我掃地出門。 Robert Horry來談怎麼投進致勝球真是再適合不過了.... 永遠忘不了馬刺活塞05年冠軍賽那記三分球.. -- It's better to burn out than fade away. -- ※ 發信站: 批踢踢實業坊(ptt.cc), 來自: 210.240.123.137 ※ 文章網址: https://www.ptt.cc/bbs/NBA/M.1453695051.A.D12.html

01/25 12:12, , 1F
中文跟英文連的太近 有點影響閱讀說
01/25 12:12, 1F
※ 編輯: Dukewang (223.139.254.140), 01/25/2016 12:23:52

01/25 12:18, , 2F
NBA威爾史密斯
01/25 12:18, 2F

01/25 12:19, , 3F
排一下版吧
01/25 12:19, 3F

01/25 12:19, , 4F
電影才是你的極限~