[外電] Post-up notes: Hall of Famer McHale has tips for Dallas

看板Mavericks作者 (中肯 正直 不嘴砲 POP)時間14年前 (2009/10/04 11:59), 編輯推噓7(702)
留言9則, 8人參與, 最新討論串1/1
http://tinyurl.com/ybruhvr To see Dirk Nowitzki and Kevin McHale talking is like looking at a history of power forwards in the NBA. Yes, according to the definition, they play – played, in McHale's case – the same position. But did two people ever go about the same job so differently? McHale was maybe the greatest low-post scorer in the game during the '80s when he and Larry Bird and the Celtics were winning three titles. Nowitzki? Well, let's just say he's a member of the group of power forwards who have taken the position farther from the basket. And yet, Nowitzki has the ability to do some of the same things McHale accomplished in his Hall of Fame career. That's not just a random opinion, it's McHale's. He's been visiting the first week of Mavericks' training camp, stressing a strong attitude. But that doesn't mean the fundamentals of low-post play haven't been taught, too. "He's talented enough that the defensive matchup should dictate where he gets the ball," McHale said of Nowitzki. "If they go big, he gets on the perimeter a little more. If they go small, he gets a little tighter to the basket. You start playing smaller guys closer to the basket, height takes over. And this guy is long." This is not a grand revelation. But when McHale is the one giving the advice, people tend to listen. As Rick Carlisle said: "He's an excellent teacher. Hey, if I wanted my 5 1/2-year old daughter to have piano lessons, I'd go to Fort Worth and knock on Van Cliburn's door if I could get him. This is kind of the same thing." The sort of beautiful music Carlisle hopes Nowitzki makes this season should be helped by the fact that he's got some extra instruments in the band. With Shawn Marion on board, the goal of the Mavericks' offense – aside from running whenever possible – is to put defenders in compromising positions. When Josh Howard is healthy, that will give the Mavericks two top-flight cutters on the floor to take pressure off of Nowitzki. "Yeah, it's going to be a little different," Nowitzki said. "I'm going to adjust to whoever's out there. With Damp [Erick Dampier], I'll be out on the perimeter more. With [Drew] Gooden and [Kris] Humphries, I'll probably be more in the post a little bit." When he has the ball up top, Nowitzki said will open things up for some layups, "especially in the fourth quarter when baskets are tougher to come by." McHale has been stressing low-post fundamentals. But he said the Mavericks are a veteran team with designs on a deep playoff run, so the mental side of the game is critical. "He talked about the old days and what their mind-set was," Nowitzki said. "I'm trying to pick his brain while he's here. To me, he's probably the greatest low-post player the league has ever seen. He had every move in the book. It's good to have him and hopefully he can bring us to the next level." McHale knows Nowitzki is not the same kind of power forward he was. Nobody is these days. "He plays more of the new hybrid power forward, which are a little bit different," McHale said. "He's on the perimeter, but he's got the skills to go inside. He's long and shoots it well. I think that's where the league is. "For how the game is being played and what he does, he's just tremendous. We talked a little about getting into the post a little more and you don't have to do it all the time. But if you add that to your game that always help you." Nowitzki, guarded by smaller players often the last few seasons, is looking forward to implementing some of McHale's expertise. DAY IN CAMP Saturday: After his eye-catching performance at the Fan Jam on Friday night, Shawn Marion has quickly served notice that he's still got the "kitchen-sink" game, where he does a little bit of everything. "And he does it in his sleep," president Donnie Nelson said Saturday. Marion had a couple of lob-pass dunks in the scrimmage at Fan Jam, and he even took one of the passes from Matt Carroll, an unlikely assist partner. The first one came from a more traditional passer, Jason Kidd. "That's going to be there," Marion said. "Kidd's going to sling it up there. I just got to go up there and get it." As for Carroll's lob? "That kind of shocked me," he said. "And it shocked him, too." Spotlight on Matt Carroll: Speaking of the 6-6 shooter, he knocked down several 3-point shots in the Fan Jam and was not hesitant in the slightest to let it go from long range. That's important, Jason Terry said. "I told him he's our John Paxson, our Steve Kerr," Terry said. "He's that guy that if the main guys are double-teamed, we kick it to him and we know it's good. He has to continue to stay aggressive and the main thing for him is to stay confident." Next up: The Mavericks have been awarded a day off today. They will reconvene Monday for an extended shootaround in advance of the preseason opener Monday night against Orlando at American Airlines Center. McHale給了Dirk一些建議 Dirk將調整他的進攻方式 如果籃下是Dampier他會以中距離為主 如果籃下是小一點的C 他會做多點低位 另外Jet對Carroll說 你是我們對上的Steve Kerr (XD) 你的三分攻擊很重要 McHale:Dirk...退休後千萬不要當總管 -- ※ 發信站: 批踢踢實業坊(ptt.cc) ◆ From: 218.160.33.181

10/04 12:20, , 1F
其實Jet多加班砍進幾顆的話 他更有資格是 XD
10/04 12:20, 1F

10/04 14:35, , 2F
因為Jet是我們隊上的神米......XD
10/04 14:35, 2F

10/05 04:29, , 3F
我覺得Jet比較像是幾年前的31號-砍爆國王那位金魚眼
10/05 04:29, 3F

10/05 08:33, , 4F
樓上說的應該是人稱瘋狂尼克的Van Exel
10/05 08:33, 4F