Paul的Q&A來著.....

看板Mansun作者 (丹麥快翼)時間18年前 (2006/05/11 23:36), 編輯推噓4(402)
留言6則, 4人參與, 最新討論串1/1
from PaulDraper.NET Lyrically, will your solo project have a theme running throughout and if it does, what sort of theme? Can you give me a few lyrical snippets? Well my lyrics always change right up to the last minute and I don't want to give any away because they're usually crap, then I mould them into something I pluck from my notebooks and bring some meaning to it all. The one thing I would say is a lot of lyrics I wrote on my road trip in America. It's not a concept or anything like that, but more of a record of my trip, things that happened and people I met. In my next diary entry there will be some info on the latest recordings! Please list the songs you have completed and describe them both lyrically and musically. (As well as any you are currently working on). Again some of the lyrics and titles come from my writing trip, but they've been fleshed out back at home now I'm putting the record together. I'll have some music for people to listen to on the net in June, so if you can wait another month you can assess the tracks and words for yourself. In terms of describing them musically, well I started off with purely electronic demos of the songs I'd written, but that's evolved into me re-recording them with more of a band feel. I don't want to use loops anymore and although I don't want the tracks to 'rawk' in the crappiest sense of rock music, they are rock tracks, and evolving in that direction anyway. If you keep abreast of my diary entries I'll describe the recording of the tracks in more detail there. Sorry to be a bit vague, but I'm a bit vague myself at the moment, changing titles and lyrics all the time! Since Chad has agreed to work on your solo project, how has this changed the sound of your new tracks? Do the songs feel more "complete" to you? How would you describe the influence Chad has on your new songs? Well Chad has really been helping me put the backing tracks down. Essentially I'll be playing most of the instruments on this record myself. Where Chad has really helped is when drum tracks have been put down, he's played a bit of bass so I can get a feel of a band while putting the backing tracks down. In the past I would start with a drum loop and build the track up on that, but my drum loop days are over so I need more than one person to get the track going! Not on every track, but the odd one, so in terms of influence on the sound of the track, it's pretty much going to be my record! You have had a strong internet fanbase for many years now. How important is this form of promotion to an artist like yourself? Well in the band I was really keen on the internet side of things, although we weren't hands on as such, but the internet didn't have the impact back then that it does now. For myself, I was very reticent to get involved in internet promotion at the start of this project, but once I'd decided to do it, I decided I was going to be as helpful as possible. Now there's many reasons for this; one is that in the band I was forever turning down interviews and the net is a way of just communicating without the rock 'n' roll bullshit spin on everything, just getting the music across directly. Also in the band we were always weary of the curse of the 'internet stalker' the person who anonymously 'grooms' other fans via chat rooms. This is something I really don't want to be involved with, and I know genuine fans don't want to be involved with. If everybody is cool, positive and in it for the music then we're all on the same page and I know a lot of ex-Mansun fans have come forward and weeded out the chatroom 'groomers' and if it stays like that then we're all hunky dory. As for the 'groomers' themselves, it really says nothing about Mansun or myself, but to go to the lengths some people have gone to to infiltrate and 'groom' fans of what is essentially a pop group is to me perverted and a symptom of mental instability that I or any other rational person shouldn't have anything to do with. I know from first hand experience this type of thing is taken very, very seriously nowadays by the Powers That Be and the promotion side of things just isn't worth the grief these sociopaths throw at fans. But as I say, if fans can keep positive and just into music then the net is great, and I'm here for the genuine music fans! So in a sentence, yes the internet is great for promotion but not great enough that I'd take any crap from any fruitcakes anymore! Was working with Skin a turning point in making you realise you would still like to be a singer and a visible presence, rather than someone behind-the-scenes writing music and producing? Not really, working with Skin was something I've always wanted to get involved with i.e. writing and producing with good, credible artists. Once I'd finished that project it seemed a natural time to get involved with my own project, which I'd always intended to do anyway. As for being a visible presence, I don't need that anymore, that part of me was fulfilled many moons ago. I'm just in it for the music man, as they say. What current or old music has influenced your new songs? Are there any new bands that you rate highly? Well definitely Neil Young, he's someone I discovered during Mansun and got more and more into as time went on. On 'Kleptomania', 'Keep Telling Myself' was my nod to Crazy Horse. In terms of new stuff, all current, relevant rock music inspires me on the production side, but in terms of styles and songwriting I try to shy away from being influenced by anyone current. You could probably tell that from Mansun, some one once described my music as willfully difficult and I hated that at the time, but now I understand they were right. I hated britpop and wanted to be completely different from it, to the detriment of myself career wise, but at least I can stand by nearly all the songs I've written and I still believe in myself musically. Other people seem to as well, so being true to yourself works in the long run. At the moment I'm rating Arcade Fire, The Open, Bloc Party, Arctic Monkeys and I've been listening to Wagner, weird but true. You've described the new songs as having elements of funk, electronica and rock. Is it safe to say that you are moving back into the more eclectic days of the early Mansun B sides? No, as I've said previously, this record is heading in a rock direction now. I've dropped the loops but keep an eye on my diary for info on how and why this is happening. Is there a chance this solo project will eventually evolve into a band or are you happy keeping it more simple and just using session musicians on stage? Well that's the million dollar question. I'm open about it; it could be a band name, just me or me and a band name, but I don't know myself yet and I'm going to let everyone watch it pan out in my diary. Will we be hearing any collaborations with the likes of Skin or Howard Devoto on your new record or do you want to build up to that sort of thing over time? At the moment I'm sort of covering everything myself, but in the future I'll definitely collaborate on stuff with other artists, that's always been my long term goal! What is your happiest memory and what was your most fulfilling achievement while in Mansun? I loved working in the studio mainly, and finishing tracks I thought were original was my favourite bit of the whole thing. Off the top of my head I think tracks like 'Anti Everything' gave me a sense of achievement and a sense of doing something out of the mainstream, yet being in the mainstream if you know what I mean. In terms of achievement, commercial was never a big thing for me, just being different, or original. I felt a sense of achievement with 'Good Intentions Heal the Soul', lyrically it's my 'soul laid bare' track. If anybody else wrote a more honest song, I'd like to fucking hear it! If you have a message for your fans, please go ahead... Well where do I start? Sorry for being away, but there's a very good reason for that, but I'll share that with you over the coming months in my diary. Sorry to be cryptic. Also thanks for the millions of letters and emails, sorry we haven't got back to everyone but there's only so many hours in the day! Hopefully June will have the first demos online so check back then! 等Paul唱現場的時候應該有人手不足的問題 以下開始報名 (?) -- http://www.pixnet.net/Gronkjaer -- ※ 發信站: 批踢踢實業坊(ptt.cc) ◆ From: 61.229.27.60

05/12 00:31, , 1F
Paul碎碎念真的越來越嚴重XDrz 這一堆Q & A的重點就是.....
05/12 00:31, 1F

05/12 00:32, , 2F
請看下一篇diary :P
05/12 00:32, 2F

05/12 00:33, , 3F
對啊他一直宣傳他的網站 居心何在(?) XDD
05/12 00:33, 3F

05/12 01:26, , 4F
呼呼...好長呀...話說我的上司跟paul同月同日生,碎碎
05/12 01:26, 4F