[閒聊] Hybrid Theory製作人回憶Chester訪問-1

看板LinkinPark作者 (很難想)時間6年前 (2017/07/25 21:03), 6年前編輯推噓8(800)
留言8則, 8人參與, 最新討論串1/1
https://goo.gl/HvKT7V Linkin Park's 'Hybrid Theory' Producer Calls Working With Chester Bennington a 'Dream Come True' Billboard最新的訪問 大概翻一下 When producer Don Gilmore first met Linkin Park in 1999, he had no idea how big the band would become. But he did know they had something special with singer Chester Bennington. 當製作人Don Gilmore在1999年第一次碰見LP時,他一點也不知道這個團會變得這麼出名 但他當時就知道Chester很特別 "I'd never really heard somebody sing that incredibly just in a little crappy rehearsal room," Gilmore tells Billboard of their first meeting. 在那樣爛的排練室,我從沒有聽過哪個人能夠唱得這麼好 Together, Gilmore and the band would record Linkin Park's debut album, Hybrid Theory, and its follow-up, 2003's Meteora -- two albums that have sold a respective 10.5 million and 6.2 million copies in the U.S., respectively, according to Nielsen Music -- topping sales charts and defining the band's sound in the process. During the often-difficult recording sessions, Gilmore says he constantly pushed the band members to write better parts or deliver better performances -- and without fail, they proved up to the task. 他和LP錄製了混合理論和美特拉專輯分別在美國賣了一千萬和六百萬張,他說他推動 團員們去寫出更好的歌和更好的表現,而團員們完成了這項任務 As a producer, Gilmore's other credits include albums by Avril Lavigne, Sugar Ray, Train, Dashboard Confessional, Good Charlotte, Korn and more, and he also engineered seminal albums by Pearl Jam and the PJ-Soundgarden supergroup Temple of the Dog. Throughout his career, Gilmore says Bennington's performance in the studio was one of maybe just five times he's gotten chills from something so good, calling him one of this generation's greatest rock singers. 他曾製作過艾維爾等(一堆藝人略)人的專輯,在他職業生涯中,Chester在錄音室的表現 大概是他畢生少數五次起雞皮疙瘩的,因為演繹的棒了,他稱Chester是這個世代中最棒的 搖滾歌手之一 Following Bennington's death Thursday, Billboard spoke to Gilmore about working with Linkin Park so early in their career, the band dynamic, and that time Bennington nearly destroyed his recording studio. Billboard採訪了他 When and how did you first meet the band? 什麼時候第一次見到這個樂團? I produced their first two records. This is going back a long time; we're talking like 1999 or something. The demos were brought to me through my manager and I thought it was good. I didn't necessarily think it was amazing, but I liked that they were trying to do something unique. So I met with them -- they were looking at some other producers -- and I went to a rehearsal, and Chester started singing and I was just like, "Oh my god, this is really special." I'd never really heard somebody sing that incredibly just in a little crappy rehearsal room. He wasn't really singing like that on the demos, and I just felt like, if he can sing like this in the studio, then we might have a chance of doing something. 我製作了他們最開始的兩張專輯,那都好久之前了,應該是1999年左右,我的經紀人給 了我demo帶,我覺得不錯,但沒有覺得特別傑出,但我喜歡他們想要嘗試一些特別的東西 所以我和他們見了面,他們同時也在和其他製作人會面,我去了他們的排練,當Chester 開始唱歌時,我的念頭是 我的天啊 這也太特別了,我從沒有聽過任何人在這麼爛的排練 室中唱的這樣棒,他在demo帶中唱得不像這樣,我當時覺得如果他在錄音室也可以唱成這樣 那我們可能有機會完成什麼 What was your first impression of the band, and specifically of Chester? 你對這個樂團第一印象是什麼,特別是Chester? He was just a nice young kid. The whole band were nice guys. In my opinion, in that first rehearsal he overshadowed the whole band; he was such a huge force vocally that it got me really excited about the project and it made me want to work with them really bad. So then I really lobbied hard to try to get the record. They did choose me, and we went into the studio and we worked really hard. We made that record in like six weeks -- a pretty short amount of time -- and looking back on it, when you listen to that record it's like, wow, we did a pretty good job. It all kind of came together. 他是個很好的年輕人,整個團的團員人都很好,在我看來第一次的排練,他其實太過突出 而遮蔽了其他人了,他聲音的力量讓我對整個計畫感到很興奮,很想要跟他們合作 所以我很努力地爭取,而他們最終也選了我,我們去了錄音室超級努力工作 大概6個禮拜就錄完了,現在回頭來看,重聽這張專輯,我覺得我們做得真不錯 At the time, Chester had been the last member to join the band, having been recruited coming out of the Phoenix music scene. What was the band dynamic at the time? 當時Chester是最後加入樂團的,還是從鳳凰城來的,當時整個樂團的互動如何 I think he was finding his way with the rest of the guys. They're all really good guys, so they were all welcoming him, but I think that he was sorting through a few things personally -- getting his then-wife out here to visit; I don't even know where he was living, he might have just been crashing on somebody's couch -- but him kind of integrating into the whole thing. I don't think he was completely dialed in to the band [yet]. But he got along with them just fine. He was a good guy, so it worked out well for them. 我想他在找他融入其他人的方式,其他人都很好,也都很歡迎他,但我想他自己私生活 也有一些事情要處理,像是他當時的妻子要怎麼來訪,我都不知道他到底住哪裡 可能是睡在哪個團員的沙發上,但他漸漸融入,我想他當時還沒有完全地融入這個團 但他們相處得不錯,但他也是個好人,所以一切都不錯 Did anything about them stick out as distinct or memorable back then? 有什麼特別印象深刻的事情嗎 Honestly, they were pretty green. They've become this amazing band over time, just like every band that's been around as long as they have -- you go to see them live and they're amazing. But back then they were young kids. Mike Shinoda really is a talented guy; he rose to the occasion as a lyricist and as a programmer and as a songwriter, he was very good. And Chester and him and I working together on that first record, it was just so good. Chester was really involved in all the writing on the first record. Maybe a little less so on the second record, but nonetheless he was very, very involved. 說真的他們當時還很青澀,他們是漸漸變成了現在這個傑出的樂團,你現在去看他們現場 演出他們棒極了,但當時他們只是一群年輕孩子,Mike Shinoda很有天賦,他有時寫詞有 時寫歌,Chester還有他和我一起完成了第一張專輯,Chester很投入第一張專輯所有歌曲 的創作,我想第二張專輯他參與的比較少一點,但仍舊參與的很多 What were the recording sessions for Hybrid Theory like? 錄製Hybrid Theory是怎麼樣的呢 Back then, I would build kind of a little cube for the singers, to take the standing waves out of the room when the microphone was very dry and dead-sounding, almost like a little fort or enclosure for him to be inside. And they were working on "One Step Closer" -- the song was written in the studio -- they were working on the riff and they were writing the lyrics and those were flowing out nicely. And then it was time to sing. And Chester sings the whole song, but then we have the bridge, the breakdown in the middle of the song -- the "Shut up when I'm talking to you" part -- and there was a lot of going back and forth, and they couldn't really find what they wanted to say. There were different lyrics written, we were saying maybe it could be a musical section, and then Mike and Chester came in with this and Chester went out and sang it and it was just overpowering. He knocked the walls down in the little fort. When he sang it, he just literally destroyed the whole thing and almost broke the microphone. He was just out of his mind. And the rest is history. 那時候我幫歌手弄了個小隔間,來隔絕房間裡的駐波,就好像把他放在一個堡壘一樣 他們當時在錄音室裡寫了One step closer,吉他的riff部分,和歌詞都寫得很順利 而到該唱的時候,Chester唱了整首歌,但是在歌曲中間的橋段也就是shut up when I'm talking to you這段,當時他們還不知道要放什麼詞進去,寫了很多種歌詞,當時我們還在 討論說或許應該是個音樂橋段,而當Mike和Chester進了小隔間,Chester突然就唱了這段 而這簡直是太強而有力了,他還把這個隔間的牆給打倒了,當他唱到這段時,他把整個隔間 都毀了還差點把麥克風都砸爛了,他當時有點瘋狂,接下來的事情都是你們知道了 There was all this talk about how it was a hard record to make, but as a producer, when I ask artists to do certain things -- like, "I think you can rewrite that and make it better," or "I think you can sing that better" -- and sometimes they don't come back with it written better or they don't go out and sing it better, then I'll try again a few more times, but sometimes you just never get there and you go with whatever. But with these guys, when I'd ask for these things and I'd push them to do better, they would. They would maybe get frustrated and angry, but the results were insane. 一直有說到錄製一張專輯有多困難,但作為一個製作人,我希望創作人能夠不停重寫 寫得更好,或是唱得更好,有時他們無法達到,我會要他們再多試幾次,如果還是無法達到 那就只能使用現有的,而這個樂團,當我逼迫他們做得更好,他們的確能做到 就算他們感到洩氣和生氣,但是結果卻是棒呆的 When we finally played it for the record company... The record company had kind of just signed this band that they thought was a normal rap-rock group that would do okay. And when they first came in and listened to it, their jaws were on the floor, they couldn't believe it. They were bringing everybody from the record company over to listen to the album in the studio and there was so much excitement. And then it became a huge priority instantly for the label. 本來唱片公司簽了這個樂團,只覺得他們會和一般結合嘻哈和搖滾的團體一樣表現普普 但當我們把專輯播給唱片公司聽時,他們的下巴都掉到地上去了,他們不敢相信 還找了公司裡所有人來聽這張輯,而也讓這張專輯馬上變成可以優先發行的 There's been a lot of talk about how the record was made, but I found something in the band that... as a producer, you're always looking for special things that kind of stick out and are extraordinary, because sometimes it can take just an ordinary record -- maybe it has good songs and it sounds good and maybe you're fine -- but when you can marry all that with something like Chester's singing, then it's just unstoppable. 有很人會告訴你要怎麼製作一張專輯,但身為製作人,一直要找尋的是特別突出的東西 有時一張普普的專輯,可能就是有一首好歌就可以了,但當你有Chester作為主唱 這張專輯將是不可擋的 太長了分兩篇 -- ※ 發信站: 批踢踢實業坊(ptt.cc), 來自: 111.254.117.250 ※ 文章網址: https://www.ptt.cc/bbs/LinkinPark/M.1500987811.A.12B.html

07/25 21:16, , 1F
謝謝你的po文分享
07/25 21:16, 1F
※ 編輯: ChesterB (111.254.117.250), 07/25/2017 21:37:06

07/25 21:54, , 2F
謝謝你
07/25 21:54, 2F

07/25 21:58, , 3F
07/25 21:58, 3F

07/25 23:43, , 4F
07/25 23:43, 4F

07/26 17:36, , 5F