Kobe 對比賽的愛

看板KobeBryant作者 ( )時間10年前 (2013/12/22 11:04), 編輯推噓9(900)
留言9則, 9人參與, 最新討論串1/1
原文連結:http://ppt.cc/mjZm Has Kobe Bryant's Love for the Game Reached a New Zenith at Age 35? BY KEVIN DING (NBA NATIONAL COLUMNIST) ON DECEMBER 18, 2013 MEMPHIS, Tenn. — Love what you do. MEMPHIS, Tenn. - 熱愛你要做的事。 Love what you do, and you'll have a chance to do it as long and as well as Kobe Bryant is doing his job. 只要你這麼做,你就可能可以和 Kobe Bryant 面對他的職業一樣,做得長久並且做得 成功。 Where does Bryant stand now as far as his love for the game goes, I ask Tuesday night. 星期二賽後我問 Bryant,現在他對比賽的喜愛程度是怎樣。 “It’s probably a little bit more now than it’s ever been,” Bryant answers, “because there’s a finality to it.” 「大概是前所未見的多吧。」Bryant 答道,「因為結束的時刻已經接近了。」 The end is likely just two-plus years away. Except the end threatened to come eight months ago, too. 離他所提到的結束時刻,可能只剩下僅僅兩年多。哦,不提八個月以前發生的事的話啦。 “The love for the game is always there,” Bryant continues. “Now, because of the injury and because the finish line is a lot closer, you have a greater appreciation for the entire body of work—and trying to finish it out on your terms.” 「我對競賽的熱愛一直存在,」Bryant 續道。「但由於傷病,以及生涯終點線確實近 了,你對職業生命的這個整體感到更加欣賞。然後,你要試著用自己的方式去完成它。」 This marks 18 years in the NBA. Bryant is 35 years old. The math is easy; it’ s more than half his life. 這番話標註的是 18 年的NBA生涯,而 Bryant 現在 35 歲。這算術很簡單,他在聯盟 中待的時間已經比他生命中的一半時間還要多。 Yes, he’s playing basketball. Again. 是的,他又繼續開始打球了,再一次的。 But let’s be clear: Playing is only part of the package when it comes to love for the game. 而要搞清楚的是,上場打球只是熱愛比賽的其中一個環節而已。 At the moment I’m talking to Bryant, it's after the latest best game of his comeback, a victory over the Memphis Grizzlies capped by this proclamation: “I’m getting back to being myself.” It's also while he’s sitting with his feet and ankles soaking in ice water, knees encased in massive ice packs. 我和 Bryant 談話的時候,是在他復出以後打得最好的一場比賽賽後。「我將再次成為 我自己。」做出如此聲明的他率領湖人擊敗了灰熊。然而這卻是他必須將腳與腳踝泡在 冰水中,並且膝蓋上還包著大大的冰袋,在這樣的狀態下所達成的。 He’s wearing black compression pants with football-style padding on them, the stuff he was wearing under his shorts and under his jersey long before just about anyone in the NBA. 在 NBA 中形成風潮以前,Kobe 早已經習慣在球褲底下穿著黑色且具有足球運動用填充 做成的壓縮褲。 His iPad mini is sitting behind him in his locker, waiting to be the only accessory in his hand when he heads off to the bus and then the plane, game footage to be studied ASAP and over and over. 他的 iPad mini 就放在他身後的置物櫃裡,這是在他回到巴士上,以及上飛機前唯一 一件會在他手上的東西。這能讓他馬上開始研讀球賽的影片,一次又一次的。 Before the game, he had been lying face down on the massage table, getting his left calf literally pounded by a hammer to loosen atrophied muscles sorely unhappy about what has been thrust upon them after immobilization. 為了紓解他左跟腱患部術後肌肉的不適,他必須在比賽開始前趴在按摩床上,讓他的左 腳接受敲擊按摩。 During the game, he had left the court in the first quarter when given his first rest, deciding to attack the stiffness that had been setting into his left ankle joint during recent games by doing more intricate manual therapy that requires more room to operate than the bench. 賽中,在他第一節第一次下場休息的時候,為了對抗近日來比賽負荷所造成的左腳踝緊 繃症狀,他必須要在場下接受手續繁複的徒手處置。為此,這必須要比板凳上更大的空 間才能進行。 Oh, and then there are the two or three other workouts and treatments he’ll do every day. 還有呢,他還有兩到三項額外的課表及療程必須每天進行。 Wife Vanessa has always called him “a workaholic,” Kobe’s ambition to excel including a zealous embrace of every possible step forward. 老婆 Vanessa 總是叫她的老公作「工作狂一個」,因為 Kobe 的工作範疇包括了所有 可能有幫助的東西。 For so long, Bryant’s blessing has been his ability and enthusiasm to do the work, to run the sprints before dawn, to perfect the fundamentals while also unleashing new weapons. To that end, he would say practice was more fun than games. He sure loved what he did. 已經有很長的一段時間,Bryant 對於工作的執行力以及永無止盡的熱情是最為人所稱 頌的。日出前的折返跑練習,在研發外掛新武器的同時,也不忘將所有的基本功練到爐 火純青。到頭來,他會說其實練習比上場比賽本身還要有趣。他肯定非常喜愛他在做的 事情。 But Bryant began to grow tired in recent years of the all-encompassing grind. He began to think about Michael Jordan getting not one but two breaks during a career that wasn’t even this long. He began to call himself “Vino” instead of “The Black Mamba,” dwelling on his old age to the point it’s surprising he didn’t change his number again from 8 to 24 to 65. 但是近年各種不同的磨耗下來,Bryant 終於也開始感到疲憊了。他開始想到, Michael Jordan 在沒他自己那麼長的職業生涯中也中斷休息了兩次。他開始稱自己為 ”Vino”而不是慣常的”Black Mamba”。而令人驚訝的,他並沒有因為自己的年華老 去,從把球衣號碼從8號改成24號後,再次地改成65號。 Then the Achilles. 然後呢,阿基里斯腱斷了。 And this is where the narrative might seem predictable. Such a terrible injury, but… Blessing in disguise, right? Absence makes the heart grow fonder, yes? 這脈絡看起來似乎是可預見的,多糟糕的一次受傷啊…。但反過來想,或許只是恩賜戴 上了偽裝的面具,不是嗎?缺席能夠讓心志更加旺盛,對吧? Well, Bryant has already said he missed the game while it was taken away. And for sure, there aren’t too many legendary athletes who have something happen to them amid the light of tunnel’s end to provide fresh perspective on re-loving the game. Bryant 已經說過,當球賽從他生命中被拿走的時候,他是多麼的想念它。而且沒有太 多傳奇運動員有這個經驗,讓他們在職業生涯這個隧道中,得到一次重新愛上競賽的全 新感受。 Look at Bryant on Tuesday night, smiling late in the fourth quarter as he dribbles with Tony Allen throwing his body against Bryant’s body. Bryant discreetly lands an elbow to Allen’s face on a post-up a moment later. Bryant ranks Allen at the top of the list of Kobe Stoppers, and so what a challenge to face him in the fourth road game in five nights right after an awfully creaky loss in Atlanta. 看看星期二晚上的 Bryant 吧,當第四節末 Tony Allen 用他的身體阻擋著 Bryant 的 運球時,Kobe 臉上是掛著笑容的。他把 Tony Allen 排在「Kobe Stopper 名單」的前 面。所以在已經是五天裡的第四場比賽,並且剛在亞特蘭大輸掉一場糟糕的比賽後,能 夠碰到這樣一個對手是多麼令人興奮的一個挑戰。 Bryant met his own goal to be “really, really assertive.” He overcame the scare of hyperextending his left knee when trying to spin past Allen. He nailed a pull-up jumper, strong enough to shoot through the contact. Bryant 力行了他對自己的要求:「非常強的決斷心」。他克服了轉身對抗 Tony Allen 時造成的左膝過度伸張(筆者按:結果居然骨折了…)。並且之後在身體接觸下命中了 一記跳投。 Absolutely without a doubt, Bryant is overjoyed just to be back in the game, separate from how much he normally relishes winning it. 明顯無疑的,與一般他對於比賽勝利滋味的渴求不同,Bryant 現在對「回到比賽」這 件事本身,感到非常享受。 It has been four weeks since Bryant’s first full-team practice, and I ask Lakers coach Mike D’Antoni if he has seen frustrations from Bryant that he can’t do his old things. “No, no, no,” D’Antoni replies. “He’s very in tune to what needs to be done and where he is and how he’s progressing. … I think he’s just working as hard as he can to get up as high of a level as he can as soon as he can.” 從 Bryant 第一次全程參與球隊練習以來已經一個月了,我問湖人總教練 Mike D’Antoni ,當 Bryant 發現他沒辦法做到一些原本他能完成的東西的時候,他是否有表現過挫折 ?「沒有沒有沒有,」D’Antoni 回答,「他對於該做到甚麼,目前他處在甚麼狀態, 以及他的進展狀況是怎樣非常了解。我想他只是很努力地盡可能去提升他自己的狀態, 以他能接受的最快步調進行。」 And it comes back to Bryant’s hard work again. And the tidy conclusion would be that he’s doing it all with renewed passion because he finally got a break from the grind at the most opportune time. 所以 Bryant 的工作狂熱又開始了。簡單來說,他在最合適的時間點終於得到了休息的 機會,所以他得以用全新的動力重新開始他的職業生涯。 Except it’s not such a clean slate, because for Bryant it wasn’t a clean break at all. Even while his leg was in that boot, he was plotting his return, researching his courses of action, looking for all his edges—as usual. 除了這並不像完全重新開始以外。 對 Bryant 來說,這次並不是一次徹底的休息。就算當他的腳還必須穿保護靴的時候, 他就已經在盤算著他的回歸計畫,研究他該進行的課題,像往常一樣的尋找他所有可能 的優勢。 Then came the baby steps back, and his past trainers Gary Vitti (worked with Magic Johnson) and Tim Grover (worked with Jordan) will tell you no one tends to his body as diligently/maniacally as Kobe Bryant. 然後就像娃娃學步般,他的老戰友 Gary Vitti(曾和 Magic Johnson 共事)以及 Tim Grover(曾任 Jordan 的訓練師)會告訴你,沒有人比 Kobe Bryant 還要更用心 並且狂熱的去對待他自己的身體。 “It wasn’t a break, man,” Bryant tells me now. “I had to do so much work. Getting ready and doing rehab and things like that, I didn’t have a chance to decompress or shut the engine completely off. It was constant push. Obviously in my career I haven’t had the chance to take a break a couple times just to get away from the game.” 「這才不是休息呢,老兄。」Bryant 告訴我說,「我有好多必須要做的事情,我必須 準備好進行復健以及其他之類的東西。我根本沒有機會放鬆,或是乾脆完全把我的引擎 關掉,因為這是必須一直持續進行的過程。在我的職業生涯中,我好幾次根本沒有機會 休息一段時間,讓比賽離開我的生活。」 He will bungee jump, play Candy Crush or watch movies for hours on end, but the flip side of that is he can’t deny how much or how long he has loved this game. 他是會玩玩高空彈跳,玩 Candy Crush 遊戲,或是看幾個小時電影等等的啦。但是他 心裡的小惡魔總是會出來提醒說,他的比賽蟲已經在蠢蠢欲動了喔。 The injury has helped Bryant appreciate it all more, for sure. In his five games back, he has often looked like a guy simply excited to be playing—as seen in all the hopeful, low-percentage passes he has been throwing that become turnovers. 肯定是的,受傷讓 Bryant 更感激這一切。他回歸後的這五場比賽,他常常看起來像是 個能打球就很興奮的傢伙,這在他那些想一箭穿心,但成功率低,最終變成失誤的傳球 中也能看得出來。 Yet if it was more work than ever to get back here, and if you refuse to settle for being here and insist on going for much, much more all over again… 從重大傷病中回歸需要比以往更多的努力。但如果你拒絕停滯在傷後的狀態,並且堅持 用加倍奉還的態度拼命努力的話… “I’m doing more work now than I ever have,” Bryant says. “The discipline, the will, has to be there more now than it ever was.” 「我現在要做的事情可是比以前都還要多呢,」Bryant 說道,「該做的訓練,以及需 要的意志力,都比原本還要多上一大截。」 So the bottom line is that this isn’t fairy-tale stuff. It is still hard on him, really hard, to keep doing it after so long. The normal thing is to get hurt and get old, but Bryant simply will not do the other normal thing: lower the standards. 所以其實 Kobe 的 stuff 並非像神話般強大。在聯盟中打滾了這麼久,這對他來說依 然是相當困難的考驗。一般的狀況是你會受傷,也會老,但是 Bryant 只是拒絕另一項 很平常的事情發生:降低標準。 And what he does have working for him, remember, is the love for the game— bookended by possible finality on this side and that. 而讓他能一直持續這麼努力的原因,就是對比賽的愛,不因可能來臨的生涯終點而有所 不同。 “It’s not the same march. It’s different in that sense,” Bryant says. “ Especially players who have played as long as I have, the important thing that you want to be able to have is to go out on your own terms.” 「就意義上來說,現在走的路已經不一樣了。」Bryant 說道,「特別是對職業生涯和 我一樣長的球員來說,你希望自己能擁有的東西,其中一項最重要的是走出自己的路。」 Bryant’s terms? The same as ever Bryant要走的路是哪條呢?就和以前一樣啊。 -- ※ 發信站: 批踢踢實業坊(ptt.cc) ◆ From: 115.43.75.207

12/22 11:14, , 1F
推KB板久違的好文,翻譯辛苦了
12/22 11:14, 1F

12/22 12:56, , 2F
淚推QQ
12/22 12:56, 2F

12/22 18:59, , 3F
淚推ID
12/22 18:59, 3F

12/22 19:24, , 4F
12/22 19:24, 4F

12/23 17:23, , 5F