[sacbee] Kings waive veteran forward

看板Kings作者 (go Kings!!)時間20年前 (2004/02/25 01:01), 編輯推噓1(100)
留言1則, 1人參與, 最新討論串1/1
Kings waive veteran forward Injured Lawrence Funderburke says he asked for his release. http://www.sacbee.com/content/sports/basketball/kings/story/ 8329029p-9259215c.html By Martin McNeal -- Bee Staff Writer Published 2:15 a.m. PST Tuesday, February 24, 2004 Lawrence Funderburke didn't have a problem with being waived Monday by the Kings. In fact, he said he requested the procedure. "They knew I didn't want to be there," the forward said in a telephone conversation Monday night. "I think they try to accommodate people when they don't want to be with the team. But I have nothing against anybody. I just thought it was best to separate and go our own ways." The youth-and community-oriented Funderburke, who began his NBA career with the Kings in the 1997-98 season, said his time spent in Sacramento was fulfilling on and off the court. "I wanted to convey to the fans and people how much I appreciated their tremendous support on and off the court," he said. "As much as I enjoyed playing with the team, I think being able to meet and touch a lot of young people in the area may have been the most rewarding because I love to give back to the kids." Funderburke, 33, underwent surgery last September to repair a partially torn left Achilles' tendon and said he's progressing nicely. He was in the last year of a five-year contract and will receive his entire $3.625 million salary this season despite not having played and being waived. "I'm hoping to be able to go full-go in the next couple of months," he said, "but I'm nowhere near ready to play right now." Geoff Petrie, president of basketball operations, said the Kings' frontcourt future appears to be set. "(Chris Webber) will be back next week, and Brad (Miller) will be sometime around that time, either sooner or later," Petrie said. "And I think the development of Darius (Songaila) and Jabari (Smith) have left us pretty solid in those positions. Plus, we wanted to give (Funderburke) a chance, now that he's getting to the point where he's close to playing, more freedom to plot out his future." Funderburke averaged 6.4 points and 3.6 rebounds in 14.9 minutes per game through six NBA seasons. The smooth left-hander played professionally in France and Greece before joining the Kings. He spoke about how thankful he was to the Kings for giving him the opportunity to play. "They gave me a chance and then a long-term contract," Funderburke said. "But I think every one of us as athletes should feel blessed to be able to play a sport and get millions of dollars." Jackson receives good news - An MRI on guard Bobby Jackson revealed no tear in his abdominal muscles. He must remain on the injured list through Sunday's game against Phoenix before he is eligible to return. But the Kings will likely make sure his muscles are completely healed before letting him return to practice, much less game action. -- ※ 發信站: 批踢踢實業坊(ptt.cc) ◆ From: 218.167.188.72

推 218.170.103.36 02/25, , 1F
昔日的暴徒.......
推 218.170.103.36 02/25, 1F
文章代碼(AID): #10EuE5_k (Kings)