[情報] Mick Garris談MJ被遺忘的Ghosts (1)

看板KingofPop作者 (someone in the dark... )時間13年前 (2010/09/13 19:23), 編輯推噓15(1504)
留言19則, 9人參與, 最新討論串1/1
2009年7月時刊出的訪問,我是先從mjjasia.com上看到中文翻譯再找到原文的。 我自己很喜歡Ghosts,也認為這是MJ被許多人忽略的偉大作品, 考慮了一下是否轉貼MJJCN的翻譯就好,但有些地方不太滿意, 終於還是決定自己翻一下… -------------------------------------------------------------------------- The Cold Case: Director Mick Garris on Michael Jackson’s Forgotten Ghosts Mick Garris談Michael Jackson被遺忘的Ghosts By Michael Adams 原文:http://ppt.cc/bzrP Exhausted by endless replays of Thriller? Fed up with CNN treating Michael Jacksons’s “ghost” as actual news ? This week, a special edition of The Cold Case talks to Mick Garris about 1997’s Ghosts, the all-but-forgotten 38-minute film he created with Michael Jackson, the late Stan Winston and horror legend Stephen King. 厭倦了無止境放送的Thriller?受夠了CNN把Michael Jackson的“ghosts”當成新聞片段 來播放?本週的The Cold Case將訪問Mick Garris,談論1997年的Ghosts,那一部幾乎被 人遺忘的他和Michael Jackson、已故Stan Winston、恐怖大師Stephen King共同創作的 38分鐘影片。 In the 24/7 media meltdown that surrounded Michael Jackson’s untimely death, it appeared that every clip of the superstar was unearthed, dusted off and replayed over and over. Even so, somehow, every story or tribute package led to 1983’s Thriller, that game-changing 14-minute horror short that remains the highest-selling music video of all time. We should probably be grateful that the networks didn’t have a working VCR and a copy of 1997’s Ghosts, lest we be subject to an immediate overload of TV talking heads’ endless analysis of what it meant and, God forbid, what it predicted. 在媒體24小時針對Michael Jackson驟逝所作的報導中,似乎有關這位巨星的每一段影片 都被挖掘出來且重複播放。即便如此,所有的報導或致敬專輯一定會有1983年的“ Thriller”,這部史上銷售量最高的MV。我們或許應該覺得慶幸,媒體沒有1997年的 Ghosts的拷貝,要不然我們就會被電視裡那些所謂名嘴滔滔不絶的分析這代表了什麼、那 預測了什麼的言論疲勞轟炸。 To be fair, this 38-minute short film, not so much a sequel to Thriller than an operatic bookend, lends itself to such discussion. In it, Michael Jackson depicts himself as a misunderstood monster who’s persecuted by those who love and hate him — led by himself. The singer messes with his face, turns white, dies, is resurrected and moonwalks as a skeleton. Most poignantly, Jackson asks his fans and followers whether they’ve been scared and whether they’ve had fun. The answers are yes and yes. 平心而論,這部38分鐘的短片並不是Thriller的續集,它自己就有很多可以討論的地方。 在這部片中,Michael Jackson飾演一名不被了解的怪物,被喜愛及厭惡他的人們(有些 也由MJ自己扮演)侵擾及迫害。他撕毀了自己的面容、變成白色、死了、然後又復活並變 成骷髏的樣子跳著moonwalk。尤有甚者,MJ還問他的粉絲和追隨者說,你們是否受到驚嚇 及是否覺得好玩,答案都是肯定的。 Early in his career, Mick Garris, creator of the Masters Of Horror TV series and director of Stephen King adaptations such as The Shining and The Stand, and his wife Cynthia donned zombie make-up for Thriller. A decade later, Garris became part of the team that put Ghosts together. He spoke with Movieline recently about developing the project, working with his formidable creative partners and how Jackson battled monsterdom both onscreen and in real life. 在Mick Garris事業的早期,他創作了Masters Of Horror電視影集、執導了Stephen King 的改編作品The Shining及The Stand、他的太太Cynthia並且是Thriller中的一名殭屍。 十多年後,Garris成為Ghosts創作團隊的一員,他談到這個計畫的發想、和這幾位傑出的 創意人才共事的過程、以及MJ如何在銀幕上和現實生活中和怪物傳言對抗。 First things first: How did you come to be a zombie in Thriller? 首先,你是如何成為“Thriller”的一員的? John Landis had already been a friend for several years. We actually met when I was a receptionist for the original Star Wars at an off-lot office at Universal. John’s office was next door to mine when he was prepping Animal House. And Rick and his wife at the time, Elaine, had been very close friends and neighbors to me and Cynthia. So when they invited us, we came running. I was a hopeful writer then, doing publicity for studios and the like, just starting to get screenwriting jobs. 我和John Landis成為朋友已有數年。我們在Universal他的辦公室相遇。我那時剛開始寫 劇本。 Was there the sense that you were seeing pop-culture history being made? 你當時有意識到你將會見證流行文化史上新的一頁嗎? We knew we were doing something special, but had no idea just how special. We knew it was a much bigger scale than music videos at the time had been, and so much different than the usual 1980s performance things. But watching Michael come alive on that first night I was there was electrifying. I became a fan right there. 我們知道我們正在做一項很特別的東西,但不知道它有這麼特別。我們知道它比當時所有 的MV都要偉大,和1980年代其他的表演完全不同。但當我第一次看到MJ表演時我彷彿像觸 電了一樣。我當下立刻成為他的粉絲。 Did you become friends with Michael Jackson then? 你當時就和MJ成為朋友了嗎? We did not become friends at that point. Later on, when I was shooting The Stand, Stephen King and Michael put together a script for another scary music video — one with huge scale, even compared to Thriller. King recommended me for it, and that’s where I really met Michael on a one-to-one basis. We became friends through that experience. 那時我們還不是朋友。之後,當我在拍攝The Stand的時候,Stephen King和MJ正在為另 一個驚悚MV寫劇本—即使和Thriller相比也算是很大規模的製作。Stephen King推薦我加 入,這才是我和Michael一對一接觸的開始。從那之後我們成了朋友。 What did you think Michael wanted to achieve with Ghosts? 你認為Michael想透過Ghosts表達什麼? Michael wanted to make the biggest, scariest music film ever. Well, I don’t know that that’s what happened; you can’t really be scary in this context, but it’s huge, the music and dancing are great, and it’s quite the spectacle. And it definitely got its point across. That theme of the outcast stranger that he and King created was important, and stayed the focus through various incarnations. Michael想做史上最偉大的、最駭人的MV。我其實並不太了解;從劇本上看起來並沒有那 麼可怕,但它規模很大,音樂和舞蹈也都很棒,非常壯觀。而它確實也傳達了他想表達 的想法。那個MJ和Stephen King所創造的主題︰一名被孤立遺棄的陌生人相當重要, 在許多分身中依然是注目的焦點。 How did you get involved, and how did the collaboration between you, Michael, Stan Winston and Stephen King work? 你是怎麼加入的?你和Michael、Stan Winston、Stephen King間的合作是怎樣的? I was actually the original director. It was begun in 1993, and I worked with him throughout pre-production and two weeks of production. It shut down for three years before resuming under Stan Winston, who was doing the effects work when I was directing. I recommended him to finish shooting when it resumed, as I was about to shoot The Shining. So yeah, I was on set a lot. But I was not there when the production continued in 1996. I’d get midnight calls from Michael, who was so passionate about finishing it, making it special. He and Stan had become friends way back when they did The Wiz together. 其實我是一開始的導演。從1993年開始,我和他從前置作業開始一起工作到製作開始後的 兩週。之後停工了三年,由原本負責特效的Stan Winston擔任後來的導演。復工時我正要 拍The Shining,所以我推薦Stan Winston接續拍攝。所以,一開始我常在現場,但1996 年復拍後我就不常在那了。我會在半夜接到Michael的電話,他對於要完成這部影片、使 它成為一部特殊的影片這事感到很興奮。他和Stan Winston在一起創作The Wiz那時候就 是朋友了。 In the beginning, he and Steve did the script together, and I wasn’t really privy to what went on then. It was when it was greenlit that Michael and I and Stan would get together for hours on end, planning the complicated effects as well as the music and storytelling. But it started as something completely different. Nobody knows this, but it was originally going to be a video to promote Addams Family Values. In fact, Christina Ricci and the boy who played Pugsley were both in it. We shot for two weeks and never got to the musical numbers. It was very expensive and ambitious. And when the first so-called scandal happened, it was when we were shooting. Suddenly, Michael was out of the country, and the studio no longer wanted him to help promote that film. 一開始的時候,他和Steve一起寫劇本,我那時並不清楚他們的進度。然後在整個作品成 型的過程中,Michael和我和Stan會聚在一起好幾個小時,一起構思特效、音樂、故事。 不過一開始是完全不同的東西。沒有人知道,這原本是要用來宣傳Addams Family Values (電影“阿達一族”續集)的短片。事實上,Christina Ricci和飾演Pugsley的男孩原本 都要參與演出。我們拍攝了兩個星期卻沒有拿到樂譜。片子花了很多錢,是部很有野心的 大製作。然後,正當我們在拍攝的時候,所謂的第一次醜聞發生了。Michael出國了,而 電影公司不希望他來宣傳這部片。 What does it mean to you now that Stan and Michael are both gone? 現在Stan和Michael都離開人世了,你的感覺是? It’s incredibly sad, of course, and really tragic. Stan was a very talented and funny and friendly man. But I was closer to Michael, spent more time with him. It really breaks my heart to see what happened to him. He was always very fragile, had lots of trouble sleeping. He reminded me a lot of Don McLean ’s song about Vincent Van Gogh. The world can be mean, and Michael didn’t have a mean bone in him. Very vulnerable and sweet. And what most people don’ t realize is how smart he was and especially how funny he could be. A very witty, explosively talented guy. 當然很難過,極度悲傷。Stan是個非常有天賦、風趣、友善的人。但我和Michael比較親 近,有比較多時間和他在一起。看到發生在他身上的事情讓我心碎。他總是很脆弱敏感, 有嚴重的失眠問題。他時常讓我想到Don McLean寫Vincent Van Gogh的那首歌。這世界可 以很刻薄,但Michael全身上下找不到一根刻薄的骨頭。他是如此的脆弱易感和貼心。而 大多數人也不知道他有多聰明,特別是他有多風趣。一個非常機智的、極度有天份的人。 -- ※ 發信站: 批踢踢實業坊(ptt.cc) ◆ From: 61.231.148.115 ※ 編輯: ulcer 來自: 61.231.148.115 (09/13 20:03)

09/13 20:37, , 1F
我愛Ghost快給我出超清晰版 最好還加很多幕後花絮
09/13 20:37, 1F

09/13 23:01, , 2F
大推樓上XD 謝謝原po翻譯與分享
09/13 23:01, 2F

09/13 23:03, , 3F
日本的高清電視台之前有撥GHOST的超清晰版~~
09/13 23:03, 3F

09/13 23:27, , 4F
推一樓XD 謝謝原PO翻譯 這兩篇很讚
09/13 23:27, 4F