[外電] Cheers for Iverson need no translation

看板IVERSON作者 (古泉虛)時間13年前 (2010/11/22 21:04), 編輯推噓12(1206)
留言18則, 10人參與, 最新討論串1/1
一開始總是覺得不多 怎麼翻到後面又覺得好長翻不完 囧 來源︰http://ppt.cc/iIg_ Cheers for Iverson need no translation The look on Allen Iverson's face in that moment he was introduced to his new life was one of pure amazement, equal parts shock and fear. And that gave way to the realization that these people halfway around the world - in a place he never thought much about and would never have reason to - loved him, adored him. The expressions on Iverson's face when he landed in Turkey the other day, and again at the soccer game where they stood and chanted for him, were priceless. 在Allen Iverson進場介紹時臉上是純粹驚奇的表情,同樣震驚以及恐懼。這讓他知道 在地球另一邊的人 - 在一個他從沒想過也沒理由去的地方 - 敬愛他、欣賞他。在抵達 土耳其的那天,以及群眾在球場上起身為他歡呼,Iverson的表情是無價的。 Don't get me wrong, Allen Iverson shouldn't have to play in Turkey - or anywhere in Europe or Asia. Iverson, now 35 years old, should be taking his curtain calls here, at home, for an NBA team, preferably a contender. You can't convince me that Iverson can't help a good team, that he can't come off the bench and be an asset. The coach with whom Iverson had his greatest success, Larry Brown, said recently, "I think it's sad having him have to go to Turkey to finish his career." 別誤會我,Allen Iverson不應該在土耳其打球 - 或在歐洲、亞洲。Iverson,現年35 歲,應該在他的家、NBA球隊謝幕。你無法說服我Iverson無法對球隊有所幫助、無法 從替補上當個有價值的球員。那一個和Iverson獲得最大的成就的教練,Larry Brown ,最近這麼說“我認為讓他去土耳其結束他的生涯令人難過” (注︰那你還不快點簽他回來) Not as sad, though, as sitting by a phone that never rings. Since no NBA team called and Iverson wasn't ready to give up his Hoop Dreams, he bit when Besiktas offered him $4 million for playing two years in Turkey. Most folks you talk to in the basketball world believe there's zero chance Iverson will stick it out that long, even if he did say after that greeting fit for a king, "I bet before I leave here I'm going to speak Turkish." 不過沒有比坐在不會響起的電話旁邊難過。既然沒有NBA球隊打來,Iverson也不打算結 束他的籃球夢,他答應Besiktas兩年四百萬在土耳其的合約。你跟你那群籃球夥伴相信 沒有絲毫機會待那麼久,即使他說過“我賭當我離開時已經會說土耳其語。” Perhaps this can be the experience of a lifetime for Iverson, living and working abroad, seeing something so stunningly different from Hampton Roads, Va.; Washington; Philly; Detroit; and even Denver. Perhaps this will be life-changing or life-affirming in a way Iverson, even with all he's been through, could never imagine. 這也許是Iverson人生中的一段經歷,在海外生活以及工作、看見與漢普頓的不同、維 吉尼亞洲、華盛頓、費城、底特律、甚至丹佛。也許這是,甚至他以前過的,Iverson 從來無法想像的人生轉變或是生活觀, Adrian Branch, the DeMatha and Maryland alum who wears an NBA championship ring from his days with the Los Angeles Lakers, played seven years overseas. There were stops in Israel, Spain, Australia, Thailand, the Dominican Republic and . . . Turkey. Adrian Branch,迪瑪莎高中和馬里蘭大學的校友,在洛杉磯湖人隊的日子拿到冠軍戒 指,在海外征戰七年。曾在以色列、西班牙、澳洲、泰國、多明尼加共和國以及..... 土耳其。 Branch played the 1993-94 season for Oyak Renault in Bursa. He can rattle off a sentence in Turkish even now and recalls his time there fondly. He said of what's facing Iverson, "You can't go in there with the attitude of, 'I'm the man, I'm the American, I'm here to fix everything.' They know A.I. They've seen all the clips. They know his crossover. They've got his trading cards, pre-cornrows, pre-tattoos. He can go over there and be Micheal Ray Richardson and play till he's 40. But he'll have to be humble. He can't go over there being G.I. Joe. After all, they're giving him a chance no American team would; they're giving him a job." Branch在1993-94為布爾薩OYAK Renault效力。他可以說一口流暢的土耳其語,在土耳 其的時光也能深情回憶。他說什麼是Iverson要去面對的“你不能以‘我正是那個人、 我是美國人、我來處理這一切’的這種態度。他們知道A.I. 他們看過所有的剪輯,他 們知道Crossover,他們有他的球員卡、他們燙玉米壟髮頭、刺青。他可以過去那邊成 為Micheal Ray Richardson然後打到他四十歲。但他必須要謙虛。他不能過去那邊然後 變成特種部隊,畢竟他們給了他一個機會,美國球隊沒給他的。他們給他一份工作。 The challenges are fairly obvious, beyond language and living in a radically different culture. The European season is less than half the length of an NBA season, but there's plenty of practice, sometimes two-a-days, and Iverson long ago let us know what he thinks of practice. 挑戰是相當明顯的,除了語言跟生活在完全不同的文化下,歐洲聯盟球季是少於NBA的 一半長度,但會有很多的練習,有時候兩天一次,Iverson以前曾告訴我們他對練習的 態度。 Then there are the expectations about American players. European fans see NBA basketball all the time, and therefore know just how old Iverson is and that his last four stops - Denver, Detroit, Memphis and a return to Philly - were somewhere between disappointing and disastrous. But they'll still expect him to be the A.I. they adore, just like American soccer fans expected Giorgio Chinaglia, Johan Cruyff and David Beckham to fairly regularly show the form that made them famous, that made an international community want to pay to see him. 然而對於美國球員有些期望,歐洲的球迷常常看NBA的比賽,因此他們知道Iverson年紀 有多大以及他之前的四個球隊 - 丹佛、底特律、孟菲斯以及費城 - 都是在失望以及失 敗之間。但他們仍然期待他是A.I. 他們欣賞,就像是美國足球迷期待Giorgio Chinaglia Johan Cruyff跟David Beckham一樣,這讓他們想去付錢去看他。 Besiktas wants to fill their 4,500-seat arena, to even have overflow crowds that are willing to spill into the streets and watch on screens outside the building. The Turks are buying Iverson's No. 4 jersey like mad (he can't wear No. 3 since 4 is the lowest number allowed on jerseys there) and don't think of him as "old" even though that's what he is in basketball terms. It's been three years since Iverson scored in a manner (26.4 points per game in 2007-08 for Denver) that made him an international sensation. Iverson played 57 games the following year, then 28 last season. Besiktas希望球場能坐滿4500人,甚至讓超出的群眾,願意上街去看建築物上的螢幕。 土耳其人像瘋子般買Iverson的4號球衣(他不能穿3號是因為那邊最小的號碼是4號)而且 不認為他是老的,即使他在籃球屆中就是。這是三年以來Iverson得分的方式(26.4場均 分在丹佛2007-08球季)讓他在國際轟動。隔年Iverson打了57場比賽,27場次年。 The prevailing wisdom has been that Iverson wouldn't come off the bench, and when he took time off after the Sixers picked him up, it was cited as proof that he didn't want to play last year. But one of Iverson's closest associates told me recently that Iverson would indeed come off the bench for an NBA team and that he wasn't obstinate; 76ers management encouraged him to take the time last year to be with his family while the club took a long and needed look at some younger players. 普遍都認為Iverson不打算打替補,而且當他離開在七六人簽他後離開,常被引用成他 不想打最後一年的證據。但有一個Iverson親近的朋友跟我說Iverson當然願意成為NBA 球隊的替補,他不是固執的。七六人的經理鼓勵他用去年的時間去和他的家人相處,當 球隊需要花一段時間重整。 It was never quite clear why Brown, who clearly still loves Iverson, didn't prevail upon the Bobcats to bring Iverson to Charlotte. It was never quite clear (not to me anyway) why a team like Cleveland, which needed scoring off the bench, which needed a player who could get his own shot and provide a spark without being dependent on LeBron James, never called. They must have felt that Iverson had too many holes or too many issues to be an asset. 沒有明顯原因,那一個仍然愛著Iverson,Brown沒有勸說山貓去簽Iverson來到夏洛特。 這從來是不清楚的(至少對我來說)為什麼像克里夫蘭這種需要得分替補的球隊,需要不用 Lebron James來刺激進攻的球員,從來沒打過電話。他們一定是覺得Iverson有太多缺陷 以及太多的問題去成為有價值的球員。 The sad part is that nobody ever played harder than Iverson, which is why audiences have loved him, even if he did have his moments with coaches, even if practice didn't interest him. Iverson did those two things that were appreciated even if you were watching 4,500 miles away on television. He gave every ounce of himself to every game and he thrilled you in the process. And the Turks want to see that light, or whatever is left of it, before it's entirely extinguished. 難過的地方是沒有人打球像是Iverson一樣認真,這就是為什麼觀眾喜歡他,即使他有 和教練們的好時光,即使他對練習沒有興趣。Iverson作了這兩件事情讓你即使在電視 上看4500英哩外的他,仍然欣賞他。他為每場比賽付出一點自己讓你感到激動。土耳其 人希望能看到光,無論是否是之前留下來的,在完全熄滅之前。 Iverson will be playing with, as one writer put it recently, a bunch of guys who a few years ago would have been paying to see him play. The players, according to scouts, will be college-level, in terms of talent. His team plays in the Turkish league, not the superior Euroleague. Even so, the Turks will want to see the player they idolized as kids, the one who crossed over Michael Jordan as a rookie, who led the NBA in scoring four times, who led his team to the NBA Finals once, who was the league's MVP. And perhaps, if it's meant to end sweetly, Iverson will play up to expectation in Europe and the real curtain call will come in the NBA, in America, at home, where his final bows ought to come. Iverson將會和,像是最近一位作家所說的,一群願意付錢去看他比賽傢伙打球。這些球 員,根據偵查的結果,大概是大學等級的人才。他在土耳其聯賽,不是歐洲聯賽。即使 如此,土耳其人仍會想去看他們從小崇拜的球員,那一個菜鳥時期在Michael Jordan前 用Crossover,那一個NBA四屆得分王,那一個帶領球隊到NBA總冠軍賽,那一個曾是NBA MVP。也許,如果這注定要順利的結束,Iverson將會在歐洲不負眾望,然後會在NBA謝 幕退休、在美國、在家、他最後的一鞠躬的地方。 -- ※ 發信站: 批踢踢實業坊(ptt.cc) ◆ From: 61.59.59.160

11/22 21:08, , 1F
head
11/22 21:08, 1F

11/22 21:54, , 2F
NECK
11/22 21:54, 2F

11/22 21:58, , 3F
在NBA板PO文的總覺得是要落井下石 反正他們也沒看比
11/22 21:58, 3F

11/22 21:58, , 4F
賽內容 真的有看就知道昨天那怎麼回事了
11/22 21:58, 4F