[心得] 總分8.5 Overall 8.5 on IELTS 代PO勿回

看板IELTS作者 (Hi Handsome~)時間9年前 (2014/08/31 23:50), 編輯推噓5(500)
留言5則, 5人參與, 最新討論串1/1
My score: (General Training) L:8.5 R:8.5 W:8.5 S:8.0 O:8.5 I got an overall 8.5 on the academic module a few years ago. I have taken the test numerous times so I am not a gifted candidate. The score is the result of heavenly blessings and hard work, which means everyone is capable of obtaining it. I was born and raised in Taiwan. My English had been very poor before I went to college. I almost failed in English several times in senior high school, which by the way was a vocation-training, rather than a regular academic school. Before I start, allow me to thank those who have helped me and Simon. I have benefited tremendously from his website, http://ielts-simon.com/ Here are the most important steps in my method. Listening: I have got 9 on this skill many times. *Read “every” word and underline key words along the way. It is the best way to orient yourself in the exam. Read ahead and read Section 4 at least twice before this section starts. Utilize the breaks and pauses. Reading ahead is especially important when dealing with multiple choice questions. *Predict the answer according to the text. The first thing you can do is guess the part of speech. Sometimes you can actually put down the correct answer without listening. Try this a few times at home. Most answers are really simple words such as temperature, handouts, weight, etc. If you can get one or two right, you will stay way ahead of the speakers. Some answers for multiple choice questions, especially when only one correct answer is needed, are particularly predictable because the context can be clear and common sense is applicable. *Try to paraphrase the words you read because it is likely that you will not hear identical words in the recording (even if you do, these identical words can be traps). If you have a large vocabulary, take it a step further: reverse the sequence of words and try to make a grammatical sentence (do this at home. in the exam, there is not enough time). For difficult questions, the speakers tend to say the answer before the words on paper. By the time you realize this, it is too late. *Write down all figures and dates even though in most cases it is not necessary. Case 1: A, June. B, July. A(and/or)B, June OK. Case 2: A, June. B, July. A(and/or)B, July OK. Case 3: A, June. B, July. A(and/or)B, June not OK. Case 4: A, June. B, July. A(and/or)B, July not OK. (This is a difficult one. The correct answer is not mentioned again. If you did not jot down the first number or date, you are in trouble.) *Pay more attention to unfamiliar question types, especially in the exam. I did not get 9 this time because of the diagram questions. I should have spent more time surveying the graphs. *While you are doing all these, you are being an active listener. It enhances your concentration. *Every answer appears in the order of the question. That means if you miss one, forget about it. Also, have a big picture (the topic) in mind and pay attention to the next question. *Rehearse possible phrases if you see a map. What words will be used? Is there a compass? If not, how do you describe directions? Where is the starting point and where will the speaker direct you to first? (Every answer appears in the order of the question.) Reading: *Vocabulary, vocabulary, vocabulary! Folks, you probably do not have a sufficient vocabulary. The first reaction of most learners, confronted by new words, is denial: These words are not important and rarely used! A person should at least be able to read everyday news without hindrance. I am talking about neither articles in TIME nor stories of pulp fiction. Take out a newspaper and see how many words you do not know. *Answers for TFNG and YNNG questions must have a clear order. If the answer for 6 is not found between 5 and 7, it is NOT GIVEN. Do not mistake YES for TRUE, NO for FALSE, and vice versa. *Pay attention to the NB note. It means at least one letter should be used twice. Without NB, every letter can only be used once. *If you see an exact word in the choice of list of headings, it is possibly wrong. Paraphrasing is the key so find words that have been paraphrased. Also, the chosen heading should be more inclusive. When you read koala, roo, and wombat in one paragraph, the correct answer should contain words like animals or fauna. *As Simon said, read to the end and come back later for difficult questions. Difficult summary completion questions sometimes do not have a clear order in the text. Don’t get stuck there. Once you finish reading, the structure of the passage should be clearer. *Sometimes, you are very confident about the answer. That is because you have found the paraphrased words for the question and the passage. They are your paramount guidelines. Your intuition or background information should be the last resort. Find out and match paraphrased words when training. Writing and Speaking: According to Simon, the key to high speaking and writing scores is good vocabulary. I agree. Look at the marking scheme. There is not much you can do about your pronunciation in the exam. Coherence and cohesion? Yeah, you can use signal words and arrange content in the right order to improve your score, but the most difference you can make is the vocab. Look at the words Simon has underlined in his examples. Most readers would say the words are easy but do they appear in your writing or speech? Most people know these words but do not use them. Try to use more of them in your practice. You must use high-level words to receive the marks otherwise the examiner can only assume you do not know. Make sure you use a wide variety of sentence structures and grammar. Force yourself to use a regular set of good sentence structures in your practice. They will come naturally in the exam. Often, you do not have good ideas for a topic, so do some research. After that, try to relate what you have found to your real life experience. This will make your recollection vivid. Or invent crazy stories to have some fun. (Btw, Simon’s e-book provides many excellent ideas for the essay task.) Writing (long essay): *As you write, keep the topic in mind. In my opinion, addressing the topic is very difficult. You have to address every part of the topic. Every! When you write a paragraph, your points and examples must corroborate not only the reason in the paragraph, but the topic as well. Many people provide too many details related only to the reason in the paragraph and digress from the main topic. Try put in synonyms of the topic in your reason or example to a greater extent. *The structure suggested by Simon works. Use one sentence to introduce the topic and the other to state your opinion. Write one sentence and start with “in conclusion” for the concluding paragraph. The body paragraphs are of your paramount concern. *Leave a few minutes for proofreading. Most, if not all, test takers make several grammar and/or spelling mistakes. Speaking: Use a voice recorder and correct yourself. Listening to your own answer is understandably excruciating. Find some good ideas, use them in your speech, and start over until it sounds ok. If speaking for two minutes is too difficult, type your answer in a Word file first. Of course you do not read from the script but this exercise can clarify your thoughts. Distribute the time evenly to each point. Star over until you think the answer is acceptable. The longest I have spent on one recording is around 6 or 7 hours (I did nothing else on that day. I was like a maniac talking to myself, the same thing over and over). Extremely tedious but effective. When you have used the same words or phrases over a hundred times in a correct way, it is difficult to make a mistake. You must go through this process in order to achieve fluency without mistakes. You are able to correct your mistakes by yourself to a large extent without an instructor. That should bring your speaking to your reading or listening level, which are usually higher. Correcting simple mistakes actually has a far-reaching effect, even if they are simple grammar. Also, prepare for the worst. I have done the first slot at 12.30, so bring a snack, although most test venues start the afternoon session at 1 pm. *I often made use of small blocks of time to talk to myself. When I was riding a scooter and waiting for the traffic light, I would repeat difficult sentences or phrases. People often gave me a perplexed look. *The most effective way is hiring an experienced examiner. I did not have the financial resources but it is highly recommended. *Final point: In the exam, think about nothing but English. Your brain power is limited. Don’t waste it on thoughts of possible success, failure, or even your goal. These thoughts can motivate you in the preparation but will only distract you in the exam. Best of luck to every reader and those who are still working hard. You are not alone. When you pass the exam, you will be truly able to appreciate the phrase “a new lease of life.” Yours faithfully, yours sincerely, best regards, best wishes, -- ※ 發信站: 批踢踢實業坊(ptt.cc), 來自: 122.118.10.223 ※ 文章網址: http://www.ptt.cc/bbs/IELTS/M.1409500244.A.20D.html

09/02 14:27, , 1F
thanks for sharing~
09/02 14:27, 1F

09/02 20:11, , 2F
thanks for sharing. it's quite encouraging!
09/02 20:11, 2F

09/03 19:52, , 3F
推,英文真的幾個月不碰馬上生疏,這些經驗都很實用
09/03 19:52, 3F

09/14 21:33, , 4F
Quite useful, many thanks to the author.
09/14 21:33, 4F

12/20 20:06, , 5F
gp
12/20 20:06, 5F
文章代碼(AID): #1K0qHK8D (IELTS)