[討論] Sarah's Take: Relief not so hard to find

看板HCKuo作者 (aisinjuro)時間16年前 (2008/07/20 08:42), 編輯推噓10(1002)
留言12則, 11人參與, 最新討論串1/1
Sarah's Take: Relief not so hard to find 07/19/2008 6:45 PM ET By Sarah D. Morris / Special to Dodgers.com Last week I was writing about the Dodgers' pitching because I felt good about it. Then, last Saturday against the Florida Marlins, Takashi Saito injured his elbow. Now the Dodgers don't have an established closer, and I don't feel as good about the Dodgers' pitching situation as I did. Going into the All-Star break, the Dodgers had the lowest ERA in the National League. In the series with the Atlanta Braves a week before the break, Derek Lowe, Hiroki Kuroda, and Chad Billingsley didn't allow a hit until the fifth inning or later. Although the Dodgers don't have Brad Penny in the starting rotation, they have arguably the best starting rotation in the NL West. Since Opening Day, the Dodgers' bullpen has done an excellent job. The Dodgers' bullpen has had the second lowest ERA in the league. It has been a rarity that the Dodgers' bullpen has blown a lead. Although the Dodgers' bullpen has suffered injuries to main relievers, the replacements have filled in nicely. However, Saito has been the closer throughout 2008. At times, he has struggled during this season, which has been uncharacteristic for him as a Dodger. The Dodgers always knew that they had an experienced closer, and I was confident when the Dodgers had a lead in an important game that Saito would preserve the lead. Now Saito will be out for at least six weeks with a sprained ligament in his right elbow. According to Saito, surgery is not out of the question if the elbow doesn't respond to treatment. Although Saito may be back for September, he might have thrown his last pitch this season. When the injury happened, I was worried if he might have thrown his last pitch ever. At 38, Saito might have called it quits if he needed Tommy John elbow ligament replacement surgery, because rehab takes a year to 18 months. Although Saito loves playing baseball for the Dodgers, he misses his family in Japan. I enjoy watching Saito close games. Yes, some closers are more dominating, but they don't have the variety of pitches and pinpoint control that Saito has when he is right. I love to see his excitement when he successfully closes a victory. Now the Dodgers must live without Saito, at least until September. Although the Dodgers had a disappointing and injury-riddled first half of the season, they are within a game of the lead of the NL West. They will play the Arizona Diamondbacks 12 more times this season. Since the D-backs have come down to earth after having an excellent beginning to the season, I feel the Dodgers can catch and pass them. Without a reliable closer, I doubt the Dodgers will reach the pinnacle of the NL West. With two weeks before the Trade Deadline, I don't see Ned Colletti obtaining an experienced closer. This season, many teams have had problems with their closers, and I believe getting a reliable closer will be a top priority for these teams. The Dodgers have other, more important needs than finding a replacement for Saito. Since Jonathan Broxton has been a Dodger, the club has been grooming him for a closing job. From 2006, Broxton had many opportunities to close games, and he didn't do well. He has an awesome fastball and a good slider. Before the All-Star break, Broxton was clocked throwing his fastball at 100 mph. This makes him dominating, and every baseball team wants a dominating closer. Although I know Broxton might have the stuff to be a wonderful closer, I don't know if he has the proper mental makeup. It takes a different mental makeup to close a victory than to pitch the eighth. Broxton seems like a quiet, unassuming man, and I don't think he has the superior confidence to close. At times this season, Broxton has struggled with his control, and has fallen in love with his slider, which made him ineffective. Maybe later in his career, Broxton will be an excellent closer, but at 24, I have to wonder whether Broxton is ready for the high-pressure role. Then again, on Friday night, Broxton pitched a perfect 11th to preserve the important victory that enabled the Dodgers to move into a first-place tie with the D-backs. The Dodgers must find an excellent closer within the organization. They have many options. I would like to see Joe Beimel as the closer, but he is one of two left-handed pitchers in the Dodger bullpen, and he is needed in that role. He has the mental makeup to be the closer. He wants to pitch every day and this is important for a closer. Last season when Saito couldn't pitch, Beimel successfully closed many wins. I know Brian Falkenborg began the season in Las Vegas, but he was the closer there. Since he has been a Dodger, he has been fantastic. If Hong-Chih Kuo hadn't had five arm surgeries, he would be the perfect choice. He is dominating. This season he has been marvelous. He knows he can get anyone out. However, risking his health and his future ability to pitch isn't worth having him close this season. To me, Chan Ho Park can be an excellent closer. After struggling many years in Texas and elsewhere, due to injuries, Park has been amazing for the Dodgers. This season it has been a rarity when Park has pitched poorly. He has dominating pitches. In the first half, pitching, especially relief pitching, has been one of the Dodgers' strengths. Although the Dodgers have had injuries to their pitching staff, they still have had good pitching. The injury to Saito has put the Dodgers' bullpen in disarray. It will be interesting to see how the Dodgers respond to their latest challenge. -- ___ ___ /| | /\__\ |:| | ___ /:/ _/_ |:| | /\__\ /:/ /\__\ __|:|__| /:/__/ /:/ /:/ _/_ /::::\__\_____ /::\ \ /:/_/:/ /\__\ -- ※ 發信站: 批踢踢實業坊(ptt.cc) ◆ From: 219.84.29.27

07/20 09:15, , 1F
如果沒有傷....哀
07/20 09:15, 1F

07/20 09:26, , 2F
只有一小段有小小郭...
07/20 09:26, 2F

07/20 10:11, , 3F
大家都怕他的手傷= =哀
07/20 10:11, 3F

07/20 10:17, , 4F
這就是人生阿....沒有傷小小郭不會是closer,是大投手 orz.
07/20 10:17, 4F