[新聞] "柏拉圖人"重聚 榮譽創始人Don Bitzer是

看板Gossiping作者 (查德姆)時間2年前 (2021/12/01 11:18), 編輯推噓0(000)
留言0則, 0人參與, 最新討論串1/1
備註請放最後面 違者新聞文章刪除 1.媒體來源: ※ 例如蘋果日報、自由時報(請參考版規下方的核准媒體名單) 美媒Wired 2.記者署名: ※ 若新聞沒有記者名字或編輯名字,請勿張貼,否則會被水桶14天 ※ 外電至少要有來源或編輯 如:法新社 史蒂夫·西爾伯曼 03.17.1997 06:04 PM 3.完整新聞標題: ※ 標題沒有完整寫出來 ---> 依照板規刪除文章 'PLATO People' Reunite Honor Founder Don Bitzer, creator of the world's first online community, was the focus of a reunion at the University of Illinois. "柏拉圖人"重聚 榮譽創始人Don Bitzer是世上第一個網路社群的創建者,他是伊利諾大學重聚的焦點 4.完整新聞內文: ※ 社論特稿都不能貼!違者刪除(政治類水桶3個月),貼廣告也會被刪除喔!可詳看版規 THE FIRST-EVER REUNION of "PLATO people" brought tears to the eyes of nearly 150 participants gathered for a moving tribute to Don Bitzer, whose dream of using computers for education resulted in the creation of the world's first online community in the early '70s. Bitzer received two standing ovations during the reunion, which featured accolades by PLATO alumni like Brand Fortner, who exchanged marriage vows with his wife on a PLATO monitor 20 years before online weddings were in vogue, and Bruce Parrello, creator of the PLATO "news report," the first online news service. “柏拉圖人”的首次重聚讓近 150 名參與者熱淚盈眶,向Don Bitzer致敬。 Don Bitzer用電腦進行教育的夢想促成了 70 年代初世界上第一個網路社群的建立, Bitzer在重聚期間獲得了兩次起立鼓掌,其中獲得了柏拉圖校友的讚譽,如布Brand Fortner和柏拉圖新聞報導的創建者Bruce Parrello,在20年前,他在柏拉圖螢幕上與妻 子交換了婚姻誓言,以及第一家在線新聞服務柏拉圖新聞報導。 Michael Walker, who organized Saturday's event at the University of Illinois with alumni coordinator Judy Tolliver, says the reunion was a fitting tribute to Bitzer, "a brilliant man who was able to look past the surface and see what people's real capabilities were." In the '70s, Bitzer's Computer-Based Education Research Laboratory (CERL) - the home of the PLATO program, designed to enable students to learn coursework in a graphical networked environment - was energized by Bitzer's "self-confidence and real caring for people," says Walker. Michael Walker與Judy Tolliver在伊利諾大學組織了周六的活動,他說這次聚會是對 Bitzer的致敬,他是個能夠超越外表並看到人們真正才華的人。 在70年代,Bitzer的基於電腦的教育研究實驗室(CERL) - PLATO計劃的所在地,旨在使學 生能夠在圖形化的網路環境中學習課程作業。 “Don實行了真正的精英管理” Walker觀察到。“無論你是男性還是女性,13 歲還是 77 歲。他創造了一個人們可以真正發揮創造力並完成工作的環境。而且Don沒有受到他人 才華的威脅,這在整個過程中產生了連鎖反應”。 "Don ran a real meritocracy," Walker observes. "It didn't matter if you were male or female, 13 or 77. He made an environment where people could really be creative and get things done. And Don wasn't threatened by brilliance in others, which had a ripple effect throughout the lab." Walker recalls that one of Bitzer's US$1-an-hour student employees, David Frankel, was only 13 when Bitzer hired him. "Don had to promise that he would feed David so many times a day," Walker remembers with a chuckle. Frankel - who offered his own tribute at the reunion - is now the CEO of Jetstream Communications. Part of a week-long cyberfest that boasted a "birthday party" for HAL and a reunion of ILLIAC programmers, the PLATO reunion included a two-hour tournament of Empire, a multiplayer Star Trek-inspired spacewar game that anticipated networked games like Doom by two decades. (The Klingons won, 72-64.) By combining features similar to modern email, newsgroups, and live chat - along with graphical displays and touch-screen interfaces - PLATO offered users many of the same networking tools as the Net, but without network lag. 通過結合類似於現代電子信箱、新聞和瞬間聊天的功能——連同圖形顯示和觸摸介面—— PLATO為用戶提供了許多與網絡相同的網絡工具,但沒有網絡延遲。 "There's a general feeling among PLATO people that the Net isn't as good as what we had," says David Woolley, whose PLATO Notes spurred the growth of the community by creating prototypes of email and discussion groups. "The PLATO system allowed you to develop any kind of interaction that you felt was appropriate," Woolley explains, "and the prime directive was instant response-time.... When I get on the Web, I feel like I'm wading through molasses." “柏拉圖人普遍認為網絡不如我們所擁有的好,”David Woolley說,他的PLATO Notes通 過創建電子郵件和討論組的原型刺激了社區的發展。“PLATO 系統允許你開發你認為合適 的交流方式。 Though the ARPAnet and PLATO were germinating in neighboring buildings on the University of Illinois campus at the same time, says Woolley, there was hardly any interaction between the two nascent communities. "We were thinking that the rest of the world didn't have anything to offer us, because we were so far ahead. Then the world did catch up to us, but PLATO was almost forgotten as something of an oddity." Woolley說,雖然阿帕網和柏拉圖系統同時在伊利諾大學校園中萌芽,但兩者之間幾乎沒有 任何互動。“我們認為其他地方沒有什麼東西可以提供給我們,因為我們遙遙領先。然後 世界確實趕上了我們,柏拉圖幾乎被遺忘了,因為它是個古怪的東西。” Tolliver - who conceived the reunion and belonged to a posse of PLATO devotees called "Hardcore" - agrees with Woolley's assessment that the project was a once-in-a-lifetime magnet for creative people. "The Internet is inventing the wheel all over again, but there was a wealth of research done on the PLATO system. I don't know if anyone's looking at it." Tolliver - 構思了讓這群“鐵桿”的柏拉圖信徒重聚 – Woolley也同意,即該項目對創 意人士來說有千載難逢的吸引力。“網路正在重造輪子,但柏拉圖系統已進行了大量研究 ,我不知道是否有人在關注它。” Bitzer himself, now a distinguished professor at North Carolina State University, hardly uses email, he told Wired News. "I may have started it, but I don't want to read it anymore. I don't want to spend all my time bombarding people with messages." Bitzer本人現在是北卡羅來納州大學的傑出教授,他告訴Wired新聞,他幾乎不使用電子 信箱。 “我可能已經在使用了,但不想把所有的時間都花在用訊息轟炸人們。” In recent years, Bitzer has applied coding theory to genetics. He gives the credit for the success of PLATO to the "wonderful people who worked around the clock" at CERL. 近年來,Bitzer將編碼理論應用於遺傳學。他將PLATO的成功歸功於CERL的“全天候工作 的傑出人士”。 "My real goal was not entertainment," Bitzer declares. "The goal was to make it possible for everyone to get a good education. That's still the goal." "我的真正目標不是娛樂" Bitzer稱"仍然是讓每個人都能接受良好的教育" 5.完整新聞連結 (或短網址): ※ 當新聞連結過長時,需提供短網址方便網友點擊 https://www.wired.com/1997/03/plato-people-reunite-honor-founder/ 6.備註: ※ 一個人一天只能張貼一則新聞(以天為單位),被刪或自刪也算額度內,超貼者水桶,請注意 ※ 備註請勿張貼三日內新聞(包含連結、標題等) 1997年的報導 沒想到這麼久前就有網路媒體了 應該沒有人能比我找到更老的新聞吧 -- ※ 發信站: 批踢踢實業坊(ptt.cc), 來自: 220.129.218.61 (臺灣) ※ 文章網址: https://www.ptt.cc/bbs/Gossiping/M.1638328692.A.646.html
文章代碼(AID): #1XfkbqP6 (Gossiping)