Fw: [外絮] 人生困境如何成為GP2成功的養分

看板G-S-WARRIORS作者時間2年前 (2022/04/22 16:25), 2年前編輯推噓27(2707)
留言34則, 27人參與, 2年前最新討論串1/1
※ [本文轉錄自 NBA 看板 #1YOZ0c1P ] 作者: pneumo (超☆冒險蓋) 看板: NBA 標題: [外絮] 人生困境如何成為GP2成功的養分 時間: Fri Apr 22 12:33:39 2022 來源: ESPN 網址: https://tinyurl.com/2p9c7ftd How a lifelong struggle paved the way for Gary Payton II's success with the Golden State Warriors 人生困境如何成為Gary Payton II成功的養分 JUST SEVEN MONTHS ago, one of the most important role players on a club desperate to return to its dynastic reign and the son of the legendary Seattle SuperSonics guard Gary Payton, was preparing to apply for a desk job in the team's video department. 就在七個月前,一個球隊裡面最重要的角色球員之一迫切的想回到球隊,這位西雅圖超 音速傳奇後衛Gary Payton之子,正準備要應徵球隊影像部門的辦公室工作。 Seven months ago. 就在七個月前。 Gary Payton II, 29, has had a basketball career full of rejection. He has been cut from teams four times in six years and spent five years toiling in the NBA's G League. 29歲的GP2,籃球生涯都是充滿被拒的情況,六年內被球隊裁掉過四次,五年在G-league 浪跡。 And he'd just been cut again. 然後那時他又被裁掉了。 Payton knew there was an opening in the Golden State Warriors' video coordination department, so he approached assistant coach Jama Mahlalela. GP2知道當時勇士的影像部門有開缺,所以他去找了助理教練Jama Mahlalela。 It was an opportunity, he thought, to still contribute and participate. 那時他認為這是個機會,可以繼續貢獻跟參與籃球。 "I was dead serious," Payton says. "If I get cut, I'm going to audition for that job. ... I was just trying to stay around. I'd still be around the game, I could still help, travel whatnot. And then figure it out from there." 「我那時可是很認真的,」GP2說。「若我被裁掉的話,我就會去應徵那份工作...我只是 想繼續待在這環境,我想待在籃球有關的地方,我還能幫得上忙的,隨時可以上路。然後 繼續往前行。」 But Mahlalela had other plans. 但是助理教練Mahlalela有不同的計劃。 "I just talked to him about the criteria for the video room: A willing learner, someone who can get on the court still and play, whatever. And he's like, 'I'll do that,'" Mahlalela says. "And I'm like, Gary, I'm not letting you do that. There is no chance in the world you are going to do that. You are playing for this team." 「我就跟他說了要在影像部門工作的條件:要願意學習,仍就可以上場打球這些的。然 後他就說,『我願意!』」Mahlalela說。「但是我回他,『Gary,我不會讓你去做的。 你絕對沒有機會去做影像部門的工作的,你是要為這球隊打球的。』」 Payton was ready to do what he'd always done: adapt. GP2已經準備好了他一直在做的事:適應。 When he was in the second grade, Payton was diagnosed with dyslexia, a learning disorder that affects 10% to 15% of the U.S. population. Those with it often struggle with word recognition, spelling, reading comprehension, language and visual processing. 當GP2二年級的時候被診斷有有閱讀障礙,這是種學習疾症,全美約有10%~15%人有這種 狀況。這些人在閱讀,拼字,了解辭意,語言跟影像認知會有問題。 After nearly two decades of learning to adapt in the face of adversity, Payton was signed to Golden State's 15th and final roster spot four days after his conversation with Mahlalela. 在經過二十多年適應並面對自己的疾病後,跟助教Mahlalela談完四天,GP2跟勇士簽約, 補上球員名單裡的最後一個位置。 He has finally found a home in the NBA and become one of the best defensive guards in the sport. 他終於在NBA裡面找到家,成為籃球裡面最佳防守後衛之一。 WHEN THE THREE Payton kids were young, their mother, Monique, made them read 30 minutes each night. Gary's brother, Julian, and sister, Raquel, had no problem completing the task. But Gary struggled and couldn't figure out why. Monique constantly heard him mumbling to himself as he tried to get through the pages. GP2的媽媽Monique在他們小時候每晚會要他們念書半小時,GP2的弟弟Julian跟妹妹 Raquel都沒有問題,但是GP2一直都念的很痛苦,但是找不出原因。當GP2試著一頁頁的 念過去的時候,Monique一直都會聽到GP2在碎念。 "Speak up, speak clearly," she implored her son. But no matter how many times she reminded him, Gary continued to stumble. 「講大聲點,念清楚點,」她鼓勵GP2。但是不管她提醒多少次,GP2一直都沒辦法。 When he was in second grade, his teacher approached Monique and suggested that Gary be tested for dyslexia. At first, Monique was defensive. She didn't want to think anything was wrong with her son, she says now. 當GP2二年級的時候,他的老師找了Monique並建議她應該帶GP2去檢查看看是不是有閱讀 障礙。起初她很抗拒,她不想認為自己的小孩有問題。 "I remember crying because I had been so hard on him," Monique says. "I didn't realize he had a learning disability." 「我記得我因為那時候對他太嚴厲而哭過,」Monique說。「我那時並不知道他有學習 障礙。」 Gary struggled to read. His brain often swapped letters, particularly Ds and Bs. When he was asked to read out loud in class, he tried to count ahead to which paragraph he would be assigned, so he could practice ahead of time and identify words he didn't know. He had a hard time learning the chronology of things, like the order of the seasons. GP2閱讀有問題,他的腦子常會把字調換,尤其是字母D跟B。當上課的時候被叫到要朗 讀的時候,他會先算好哪個段落他會被分配到,然後他就可以先練習,找出那些字他不 認得的。他尤其在學習有關時序年表的部分有困難,像是季節的順序之類的。 Two years after his diagnosis, the Payton family moved from Seattle to Los Angeles. On the trip there, Monique saw her oldest son crying on the plane. 在診斷出閱讀障礙後兩年,GP2一家從西雅圖搬到了洛杉磯。在飛機上,Monique看到他 的大兒子哭了。 "He said, 'I don't want to be dumb,'" Monique says. "I'm like babe, you're not dumb. You learn differently." 「他說,『我不想當笨蛋~~』」Monique說。「我回他,『寶貝~~你不是笨蛋,你只是 學習的方式跟別人不一樣而已。』」 Accepting this difference did not come easily to Gary, who says he struggled academically. 對GP2來說接受這個"不一樣"很困難,他說他在學業上很掙扎。 "After I found out about it, I was more embarrassed to ask questions and speak out in class because my classmates didn't know, and I didn't want to hint to them that I had a disability," Gary says. "I just wasn't trying to be different than everyone else." 「當我知道我有這問題後,我反而覺得問問題更不好意思,在教室更不敢說話,因為我 的同學們不知道我有這疾病。我不想讓他們知道我有障礙,我只是不想跟別人不一樣,」 GP2說。 Gary says he struggled to understand concepts when teachers explained them verbally. He says he often approached them after class to ask follow-up questions. Eventually, he learned to ask for the concepts to be written out so he could see them. GP2說對於老師用講的東西,他很難理解。他說他常常在下課後去問問題,後來,他了解 了他得要請他們把概念寫出來,所以他才能懂。 After their move to L.A., the Paytons enrolled Gary in an academic tutoring program tailored to young kids with learning disabilities. Shortly thereafter, they learned their son was a visual learner, common for those with dyslexia. The news wasn't surprising -- Gary always had a knack for picking up new hobbies after watching them a few times. 在搬來洛杉磯後,他們家把GP2送進了一個學習加強課程,專門是給有學習障礙的小朋 友的。很快他們就了解到,GP2是個靠視覺學習的小孩,這在學習障礙的小孩很常見。這 對Payton家不是新鮮事--GP2常常在看過一些事情幾次後很快就會上手。 "If you could just write it out and show me, I will get it," Gary remembers telling his teachers. 「如果東西可以寫下來或者表演給我看的話,我就會懂,」GP2記得那時候是跟老師這 樣說。 He still does this today. When he needs to spell something, he has to write it out, even if it's in the air, or he will ask Siri on his phone. 他現在也還是這樣,當他要拼寫一些事情的時候,他會寫出來,即使是在寫空氣字,或者 他會用Siri幫他。 "If you look at the phenomenology of visual learners versus auditory learners and kinesthetic learners, the current understanding is that we all learn in all ways, we just have preferences," says Dr. Francesco Dandekar, the associate director of sports psychiatry at Stanford University. "And we also have ways of compensating for potential deficits. So often when people say they're visual learners, it's more that they have difficulty processing auditory input ... so they'll gravitate toward things that they can see." 「若是去看靠視覺學習,跟聽覺學習或是動態學習,目前的概念是一般人可以從所有的 方面來學,只是我們會有偏好,」史丹佛大學運動心理學副教授Francesco Dandekar說。 「然後我們大家會找方式去克服某些障礙,所以很常會聽到有人說他們是視覺學習,那 比較像是在講他們對於聽覺方面的處理有困難...所以他們會傾向去看他們可以看得東 西。」 Gary and his mom, a former player herself, watched his dad's games together -- over and over again. On his own, he'd watch other games and footage of other players. He'd study them, picking up parts of their game he liked. To this day, Gary says, he incorporates moves that he saw from the late 1990s and early 2000s. GP2他媽本身也是個球員,他們會一起看他爸的比賽--一遍又一遍。他自己的時候,他 會看其他球員的比賽跟精華,他會研究這些,找到那些比賽他喜歡的部分。直到今天, GP2說他把那些動作融合到自己身上,那些大概是1990年代末到2000年初的。 "Watching basketball, I mean, you can see it," Gary says. "You can see what works and what doesn't. It's a really big help. I think it's easier for me to visualize something and then apply it to my game than the other way around. I try to watch as much film as possible." 「看比賽,我的意思是,是可以看的到的,」GP2說。「可以看到什麼能成,什麼不能 成,那真的很有幫助。我認為把東西視覺化對我來說比較簡單,我可以把那些放進我的 籃球裡面,我盡可能的看很多的籃球影片。」 But his love for the game, and the preparation it requires, didn't come naturally -- or easily. 但是他對籃球的熱愛,以及準備打籃球所需的技能,準備這一切並不是自然而然的--或者 說很容易的。 "I wanted to get away from the sport because of who my dad is, living up to the hype, whatever," Payton says. "I just didn't want to deal with it." 「我那時想逃離籃球,因為我老爸的關係,大家會期待我跟他一樣,我不想面對這些,」 GP2說。 But by middle school, Payton decided to give it a try. 但是到中學的時候,GP2決定試試看。 "He was very lackadaisical," Monique says. "I'm like dude, we're dogs on the court. You're either in or you're out. Are you playing or playing? Are you serious?" 「他那時候很懶散,」GP2媽媽說。「我跟他講,我們都是場上的戰士,要嘛上場,要嘛 不幹,你到底要不要?你認真嗎?」 When Gary was a junior in high school, he decided to meet with Darrel Jordan, a family friend and basketball coach who was working with Julian in the AAU circuit. It was with Jordan that Gary's footwork and other fundamentals of the game started to improve. 「當GP2高二的時候,他決定跟家庭好友同時也是AAU教練Darrel Jordan碰面,那也是 之後GP2的腳步以及其他籃球基本功開始變好的開始。 Gary received three scholarship offers from mid-major schools: Florida Gulf Coast, Florida International and Florida A&M. But he didn't qualify academically. The voices from his childhood, telling him he wasn't smart enough, returned, filling him with doubt. GP2後來收到三所不錯學校的獎學金機會,但是他的成績不夠格。那從小就出現在他腦 子裡的聲音,說他不夠聰明,又出現了;這讓他對自己充滿了懷疑。 From Westwind Preparatory Academy in Phoenix, Gary landed at Salt Lake Community College. And by 2013, his sophomore season, he visited Saint Mary's College in Moraga, California. The size of the school felt right, it was close to his parents in Oakland and Saint Mary's was one of the top teams in the West Coast Conference. 從鳳凰城的Westwind Preparatory Academy,到後來GP2去了鹽湖城社區大學。2013年, GP2 10年級,他去看了了加州聖瑪莉大學,這大學大小剛好,而且離他的父母近,而且 這大學是西岸聯盟的頂尖球隊之一。 But his dad asked him to hold off on making a decision on Saint Mary's, requesting that they visit Oregon State, where he was an All-Pac-10 selection and both the Pac-10 Defensive Player of the Year and conference Freshman of the Year in 1987. Former Beavers head coach Craig Robinson had made his own pitch, a tantalizing one that made it hard for Gary to turn down: He could be the difference-maker, Robinson said, to carry OSU back to national prominence. 但是GP2的爸爸要他先等等,要他們一起去奧勒岡州大看看,他爸是當時入選Pac-10球隊, 同時也是Pac-10年度防守球員,以及1987年分區年度新人。當時球隊教練Craig Robinson 提了一個很難拒絕的機會給GP2:他可以打主控,帶著奧勒岡州大重回全國頂尖行列。 It worked. Gary joined the Beavers in 2014 and played an integral part of leading the Beavers to their first NCAA tournament appearance since 1990, becoming the first player to be voted the Pac-12 Defensive Player of the Year two times. 這計畫成功了,GP2在2014年加入奧勒岡州大,在球隊擔任重要位置,率領他們在1990 年後首次進入NCAA錦標賽,並且成為首位在Pac-12獲選兩次年度防守球員。 Yet, during all of these highs, the voice that filled him with doubt -- that he wasn't good enough, that he wasn't smart enough, that he wasn't on any draft boards, the one he'd spent more than a decade trying to silence -- remained. 不過,儘管有這些優秀時刻,那讓他對自己充滿懷疑的聲音--他不夠好,不夠聰明,他 沒有在選秀名單,那些他花了10多年想要平息的聲音--始終都在。 "I didn't know what I was going to be doing after school," he says. "I [didn't] know what I'm going to do if basketball doesn't work." 「畢業後我不知道我要做什麼,若籃球這條路走不通,我真的不知道我要做什麼,」GP2 說。 AS THE FIRST quarter was drawing to a close in Monday's Game 2 against the Denver Nuggets, the Warriors trailed by eight points. 星期一面對金塊Game 2的第一節末段,勇士落後8分。 Bones Hyland pulled up near the top of the key, looking to extend the Nuggets' lead to double digits. After his shot clanked off the rim, reigning MVP Nikola Jokic grabbed the rebound. 金塊Bones Hyland跳投,希望可以把領先分數變成2位數,但是這球打到了籃框,MVP Nikola Jokic搶到了籃板。 As Jokic went in for the dunk, Payton -- giving up 90 pounds and nine inches -- came over the top and blocked Jokic's shot clean. Otto Porter Jr. corralled the loose ball, took it down the court and passed it to Andrew Wiggins, who fed it back to Porter for a 3, cutting the Nuggets' lead to five and forcing Denver coach Michael Malone to call a timeout. As Jokic headed to the huddle, Payton passed him with a slap on the butt, to which Jokic did not take kindly. 當Jokic準備灌籃的時候,GP2--比Jokic輕90磅,矮9吋--跳起來蓋了Jokic一個火鍋。 Otto Porter Jr拿到球,帶過半場傳給圍巾,後來又傳回給Porter投進了個三分球,把 金塊的領先縮小成五分,迫使總教練Malone喊出了暫停。當Jokic準備走回金塊休息區 時,GP2拍了Jokic的屁股,這對Jokic來說很不舒服。 Payton headed to the bench and didn't look back as Stephen Curry restrained the upset center, who is no stranger to meeting Payton at the rim. GP2則是回到板凳區,沒有看到咖哩拉住了這位生氣的大個,這大個子對於在籃框附近 碰到GP2並不陌生。 In a mid-February game, Jokic caught the ball up high, this time outside the key. With less than five minutes remaining in the first half, he turned and faced a familiar foe: Payton. 在二月中的一場比賽,Jokic在高位拿到球。上半場剩下不到五分鐘,他轉身看到一個 熟悉的臉:GP2。 影片: https://youtu.be/Vv7pOJ0DBxc
Trying to back him down, Jokic instead turned to attempt his patented turnaround, one-legged fadeaway. Jokic嘗試要吃掉GP2,他轉身然後要用他的招牌單腳後仰投籃。 But as he rose, there was Payton, who matched the timing of the rise -- and then the ball -- and swatted it away. 但是當Jokic跳起來的時候,GP2也在那邊,抓準時間,把球給拍掉。 Payton's ability to slow Jokic is no coincidence. GP2讓Jokic慢下來的能力並不是偶然。 "Film doesn't lie," Payton says. 「影片是不會說謊的,」GP2說。 Jokic has all but mastered spinning off defenders -- a move that has become foundational to his offensive repertoire. But through the hours of film Payton and Mahlalela watched, they discovered how Payton's size could throw Jokic off of his spin. It's quite simple, they realized: it would present Jokic with a defense he rarely sees and doesn't have to fight through very often. Jokic對於轉身晃掉防守者非常厲害--這已經成為Jokic攻擊手段的基本動作。但是GP2跟 Mahlalela看過了數小時的影片後,他們發現如何讓GP2的體型去讓Jokic的轉身失去重 心。那很簡單,就是:就是讓Jokic面對一個他很少看到的防守,然後不需要太多的對 抗。 "The leverage he normally uses is against much bigger players," Mahlalela says. "He has a completely different center of gravity with Gary guarding him. It's all about learning and understanding how the game works. And knowing the players and knowing how he fits into the team really makes a difference." 「他通常會拿那些來對抗大個子,」Mahlalela說。「當GP2守他的時候,他得要有完全 不同的重心。一切都跟如何去學習跟了解比賽有關,去研究球員,並了解自己怎樣融入 球隊真的會有很大的影響。」 Ask almost anyone and they will tell you what makes Payton such a special player is his basketball IQ, something he has developed his entire life by the unique way he studies the game. 若是去問任何一個人,他們都會說GP2獨特的地方是他的球商,這是他一直以來都在用他 獨特方式去研究比賽所得來的。 "In dyslexia, there's no link to IQ," Dr. Dandekar says. "It's just something that your brain has a little more trouble processing. There's this misconception that success means you do everything well. Success is actually a lot more about understanding what you do well, understanding what you don't do as well, playing to your strengths and finding ways to help yourself in things that you're not as strong at." 「閱讀障礙跟IQ沒有關係,」Dandekar博士說。「那只是腦子在處理訊息上有些困難, 大家都有個錯誤的觀念,認為成功就是每件事情都會做得好;成功應該是了解自己什麼 做得好,了解自己什麼做得差,然後在強項上面努力,然後找到方式幫助自己去處理自 己不是很強的部份。」 Payton has finally found success in the NBA, on a Warriors team that has a commanding 2-0 lead over Jokic and the Nuggets. GP2終於在聯盟裡找到成功的方式,在勇士隊,目前2-0領先金塊。 "They let me be me," Payton says. 「他們讓我做自己,」GP2說。 Seven months ago, he was preparing for yet another rejection, another instance where the lifelong whispers of doubt would again fill his mind. He had no idea if he'd be filling an opening in the Warriors' lineup, or one in the club's video coordination department. 七個月前,他準備著要接受另外一次的失敗,另外一個他一直有個聲音讓他對自己充滿疑 問的狀況發生。他不知道他是會在勇士球隊名單上,或者他會不會錄取勇士的影像部門。 "He knows his path, his journey has been riddled with adversity," Warriors coach Steve Kerr says. "He's been released so many times. It's just him preparing for whatever is next. But he played so well for us, that was never going to be a possibility." 「他知道他的路該怎麼走,他一路上充滿艱辛,」勇士總教練Kerr說。「他被釋出過很多 次,他就是繼續準備接下來的路。但是他現在在我們球隊打得很好,所以被釋出的狀況是 不可能會發生的了。」 -- 成功是了解自己 -- ※ 發信站: 批踢踢實業坊(ptt.cc), 來自: 61.222.1.181 (臺灣) ※ 文章網址: https://www.ptt.cc/bbs/NBA/M.1650602022.A.059.html ※ 發信站: 批踢踢實業坊(ptt.cc) ※ 轉錄者: tailsean (111.82.226.225 臺灣), 04/22/2022 16:25:44 ※ 編輯: tailsean (111.82.226.225 臺灣), 04/22/2022 16:26:14

04/22 16:29, 2年前 , 1F
感謝tailsean大,從NBA板轉貼本優文至本板,有拜讀有推~ :)
04/22 16:29, 1F

04/22 16:32, 2年前 , 2F
(~^O^~)
04/22 16:32, 2F

04/22 16:36, 2年前 , 3F
二樓是本優文的原譯者—總板的p板大,感謝您無私分享本文~:)
04/22 16:36, 3F

04/22 16:37, 2年前 , 4F
推我大GP2
04/22 16:37, 4F