Re: FreeBSD hacker 101

看板FB_hackers作者時間16年前 (2008/01/25 14:00), 編輯推噓0(000)
留言0則, 0人參與, 最新討論串14/28 (看更多)
That brings me to another ponder: why juniper and cisco are using FreeBSD and not Linux even Linux performs better in an UP environment? 2008/1/25, Dag-Erling Sm=F8rgrav <des@des.no>: > "william wong" <beijing.liangjie@gmail.com> writes: > > Dag-Erling Sm=F8rgrav <des@des.no> writes: > > > "william wong" <beijing.liangjie@gmail.com> writes: > > > > It seems that Juniper favors the even number FreeBSD's. > > > Only because 5 was a dog. They probably stuck with 4 for a while, th= en > > > switched to 6 once they had ascertained that it was significantly mor= e > > > stable than 5. I would be surprised if they skipped 7. > > Please pardon my ignorance of the jargons. Does that mean 5 is not > > stable or does not perform or what? > > FreeBSD 5 was not a very good series. It was released late and had > issues with both stability and performance. FreeBSD 6 corrected the > stability issues and some of the worst performance issues. FreeBSD 7 > took care of the remaining performance issues; it may not be as fast as > 4 was on UP, but it beats Linux on SMP. > > (there's no point in comparing SMP performance between 4 and 7 since 4 > had a single-threaded kernel and practically no userland thread support) > > DES > -- > Dag-Erling Sm=F8rgrav - des@des.no > _______________________________________________ freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org mailing list http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-hackers To unsubscribe, send any mail to "freebsd-hackers-unsubscribe@freebsd.org"
文章代碼(AID): #17cNhp00 (FB_hackers)
討論串 (同標題文章)
文章代碼(AID): #17cNhp00 (FB_hackers)