[Talk] Education as a Political Propaganda

看板EngTalk作者 (就是要虐到神經崩潰)時間14年前 (2010/05/23 13:00), 編輯推噓1(103)
留言4則, 2人參與, 最新討論串1/1
Note: Bleeped out my profanity because the internet is full of sensitive souls. Please use your imagination for the asterisks. Also, the following content might be offensive to people who believe in creationalism and other conservative notions. This will also probably be offensive to people who think they're so patriotic that they have to oppose everything our current Taiwanese government is doing because they think there's a political conspiracy going on. Viewers who are easily offended by sarcasm should think twice before reading. This is the internet. Don't like, Don't read. =========================== Every once in a while, the ruling party dominating the education board(s) is replaced after an election. Cue textbook material rewrite, changing of standards, etc. And acres of lost trees, but that's another story. Sound familiar? Certainly. And this is a sad, repetitive, irritating phenomenon happens all over the world. Governments have to have some way to control their citizens, correct? Brainwashing is inevitable, after all. Or attempts to brainwash. Especially those made from the society, with people attempting to force their debatable beliefs on others, such as some homophobe trying to convince the world that homosexuality is wrong, that marriage can only be between people of opposite sexes, and blah blah blah. Or some religious believers saying that abortion is wrong and blah blah blah. Wait, that happens in the government as well. But I digress--the point I'm trying to make here is that education can never be about education. Or at least for the standardized, pre-college education. The world is, of course, biased, and textbook writers and editors are going to write what they think, to support a certain viewpoint, theory, or whatever. Since this is unavoidable, as there is no such thing as an unbiased person/viewpoint, I don't take as much of an issue with it... Until politics is involved. (Which, sadly, cannot be prevented) ****. I am so, ****ing sick of bigoted politicians trying to manipulate education with their stupid beliefs. They lose sight of the actual point of education and turn it into one huge political crusade to brainwash the younger generation into sheep that will support them in the future. Brainwash them into believing what they believe, because they think what they believe is the absolute right and of course everyone else in the world should think so. Yes, I am talking about DPP, KMT, Republicans, Democrats, leftists, rightists, whatever other ruling party out there. I must say, due to my own personal preferences, I am more inclined to get pissed off with conservatism and other illogical stuff. Does Kansas Board ring a bell? Well, a few years ago, they were quite notorious for trying to teach 'intelligent' design in their science curriculum. Science, by default, requires some evidence through scientific methods, evidence and testing methods that Creationalism clearly lacks. Yeah. I believe in 'intelligent' design alright. I believe that the Flying Spaghetti Monster created the world, and may its noodly appendages bless everyone with more pasta. No, seriously. Trying force one's religious beliefs in school is not cool. Separation of Church and State, for whatever is out there's sake!! Written in the First Ammendment, and yet ignored by these religious crusaders who believe that they are doing what their slavedriving Spiritual Master wants them to do, but as usual, they are actually just doing what they THEMSELVES want to do. Urrgh. If one MUST have their children learn the wonders of whatever religion they believe in, they should do it behind the doors of their homes. By mentioning the Flying Sphaghetti Monster, and bless his noodliness, we can see where this Creationalism issue can go. There will be endless debates about exactly WHICH creator they are implying--Yahweh, Allah, God, Buddha, some Hindu god, or my personal favorite, the Flying Sphaghetti Monster itself, etc. You know why? Because there's not even an ounce of plausible evidence for Creationalism...aside from: ~*I FEEL that there is a creator behind this all*~ Why? Because LOOKIES! There is a pattern in all creation, which is divine and a sign from our Creator, blah blah blah this is all our Creator's doing, our Creator's art, blah blah blah... Why? Because *I* believe it's right. Not convincing enough? There is plenty of evidence: 1. Because the leading preacher in my religious institution says so--screw other believers who believe in Evolution, they are delusional and they interpreted our Creator's message wrong, they aren't staying true to the holy scriptures. Our ancestors are NOT tetrapods or monkeys! 2. Because my parents said so, ever since I was a kid who barely knew how to write, much less speak. Oh no, environment has NOTHING to do with a person's beliefs, it's right because it's right. They also happened to teach me that homosexuality is an abomination, that women are inferior to men because our Creator is a male, and they taught me stories about sinful people who go to hell. Oh, I was scared, but that's not the reason I believe that they're right. Are you kidding? But hell is really scary, I advise you to convert to my religion before you are doomed to eternal suffering. If you believe, you can do anything you want, like cheating people of their money and ruining the global economy and waging war and killing people. Our lord will forgive you, if you worship him, that is. 3. Because I can talk to our Creator, and my Creator says so. I am NOT schizophrenic. 4. Etc. Which will eventually lead to: ~*By the way, my Creator is the One True Creator. All other Creators out there are false!!11!! Even though I didn't specify which Creator I was talking about, there is only One True Creator, which happens to be the Creator I believe in! You pagans are under the influence of an evil being, snap out of it before you go to hell!! I am doing this for your own good!!!*~ ...Gee, thanks, but no thanks. I would write more, but I'm getting really off topic. Not saying that all believers of that certain religion are like that, but those who are sure have a loud voice. Anyhow, this is the exact reason why politics should NEVER mingle with religion, and NEVER use religion as their political propaganda, but what the hell, those zealots don't care. Yeah, I know, I'm not American, so why the hell should I give a damn? Well, I have an attachment so I can't help getting worked up over whatever's happening across the Pacific here. Especially when it has to do with education, since I studied there for a while, throughout middleschool and two years into highschool. This Creationalism issue has been going on when I was still back in the States, so it really irked me. And it still irks me. Back on topic, I think the governments of Korea, PRoC, and Japan's involvement in brainwashing their citizens are quite notorious. As for Taiwan's own cute little KMT and DPP's recent (or not so recent) debate...Which I myself find a bit special since to me, this has nothing to do with political conspiracy--in specific, it has nothing to do with the government trying to sell Taiwan to China--but like usual, certain people like to interpret everything as some sort of political conspiracy. Big deal to them. They should move to the States, really. They'd have a blast there since the US is super anti-Communist China as well. Not to say I'm pro-Communist China, I hate PRC's government, but yeah, some Americans are taking their anti-Communist China sentiments as far as certain DPP supporters. Anyhow, We all know the endless debate in Taiwan over highschool history criteria. In particular, how much "Chinese" History should be taught, and how much "Taiwanese" history should be taught, and blah blah blah. I will admit that I'm much more interested in the 4000+ years of "Chinese" History. And it's funny that we don't learn much about Communist China, so what should we call Communist China history? I myself am not going to call the Communist China history as "Chinese" History, it just sounds wrong to me. YMMV on that anyway. But still, if I say in public that I am more interested in "Chinese" History than I am in "Taiwanese" History, certain people are going to point fingers at me and say that I'm an unpatriotic asswipe who wants to sell out my country. Okay...Whatever. Nevertheless, what is happening with Texas Board as of the late is the main cause of my infuriation and frustration. --HERE BEGINS THE ACTUAL POINT OF THIS LONG-ASS RANT-- (which is shorter than the rant above) Trying to manipulate History Textbooks into watering down slavery and the civil rights movement? ****. What the ****. I can't even....URGH!!!!! WTF is happening over there?! Trying to emphasize the Jeudo-Christian influence on the Founding Fathers to water down the meaning of 'Separation of Church and State'?! ****ing hells. Jefferson is a deist. They keep wanting to forget Jefferson had ever existed just because he didn't like organized religion and wrote essays that pointed out the shortcomings of organized religion. I can't believe they're trying to change the meaning of 'Seperation of Church and State'. Bet that has been a pain in their necks for a loooooong time, they just HAD to find a way to undermine it. Implying that globalization and the UN is trying to undermine the US sovereignity? ****, this one is funny, for a change. It's called the global trend, okay? If you want to play in the international world, you have to compromise. That is not called undermining US sovereignity. This ridiculous, bordering hilarious view reminds me of a certain conservative, bigoted religious preacher I had to suffer under throughout my AP World History course when I was still back in the States. There were other changes, but I only saw this in the news. This is just ****ed up. Texas's textbook publishers will be printing this new, conservative **** since they will be using these new, 'improved' standards. And Texas's publishers are one of the major publishers in the States, which means this **** they're going to print is going to affect other states. Not to mention, a while ago these bigoted asshats on Texas Board were trying to water down the evidence for evolution as well. Seriously, WTF. They claim they're just fixing what the leftists have done, but no, that's not what I think. Can governments ever STOP using education as a political propaganda? Sadly, no. After all, the best way to brainwash the mass is through education-- engraving opinions into kids who are in elementary school, kids who have no critical thinking ability. It'll be too late once they reach highschool, since they've been brainwashed throughout elementary and middle school. Some critical thinkers will be able to escape this, but alas, the majority of human beings will not stop and think about what is wrong with the things they are taught. After all, critical thinking is such a hassle, it brings in uncertainty and we are all averse to uncertainty, we like holding something solid in our hand and feeling good about ourselves for believing in what we believe and thinking that others are mistakened because they are wrong and we are right. Well, ****, nothing is THAT easy. Anyhow, another way the government distracts, controls, or attempts to control, public opinion is through media and news reporting (this is pretty bad in Taiwan).And news reporting can count as education, in a sense. Always take the news with a grain of salt, don't believe what you read. They always skewer the news into reporting something that is to their political advantage. Recent (or not so recent) piss-off in Taiwan (I don't really watch the news anymore, but this was reported when I was eating out and I had no choice) is the intentional mistranslation of 'We never asked America for help' into something totally, totally different. So, when one reads the news, one has to decide oneself whether to believe it, because when the news is too black and white, something is fishy. There will be some truth in the news, but most of the time, what is reported is not the full story. They always tone down the details that are disadvantageous to whatever political party they are from. Oh yeah, another example of recent political manipulation of the media in the States is the constant emphasis on Toyota car deficiencies. Hello? They're not the only one with the problem. But no, the newspaper and media are really just doing this so they can save the American car industry. Toyota still has a positive revenue, because everyone knows that the government is just trying to beat Toyota down. Admittedly, the news report on the Texas Board issue I've read is also a political propaganda, but the elementary through highschool criteria were changed, and no matter what, it didn't change for the better. This world is hardly black and white. We all dislike the uncertainty of the gray area, but that's just how **** works. May edit later. -- ※ 發信站: 批踢踢實業坊(ptt.cc) ◆ From: 118.168.237.146 ※ 編輯: BloodLust801 來自: 118.168.237.146 (05/23 17:37)

05/23 20:03, , 1F
FSM rocks!
05/23 20:03, 1F

05/24 19:58, , 2F
damn, I knew something was missing. Flying SM.
05/24 19:58, 2F

05/24 19:59, , 3F
but yes, FSM shall take over the world :D
05/24 19:59, 3F
※ 編輯: BloodLust801 來自: 118.168.237.146 (05/24 20:05)

05/24 21:57, , 4F
totally! :D
05/24 21:57, 4F
文章代碼(AID): #1B-BQ7dT (EngTalk)